Confirmed with Link: Vladislav Gavrikov To Sign with CBJ

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Still don’t understand why Panarin would leave Cbus to live in Connecticut. I understood the moving to NYC (i.e., the actual city) thing; that’s something Cbus can’t provide (huge city lifestyle, Russian population, etc.). Don’t really get the point of going out there to not actually live in NYC when he could have gotten just as nice of a house in Dublin or New Albany or UA for much cheaper with a much better commute than what he has now. But whatever, I digress...
It's a commute to New York City. I suspect that's his motivation.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So... why not just live there?
Because one may want to be close to a big city to be able to experience it on-demand, without necessarily having to spend the entirety of one's life there?

It's not exactly my heart's desire so I can't really comment for sure, but I've heard of that phenomenon before, so maybe it applies here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In the city you never escape the hustle and bustle that is NYC. As other have said it is a short commute to the city and I'm sure at his salary he has a driver at his disposal. Although it is a long way to Brighton Beach and the large Russian community.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Bringing this back to Gav, what kind of contract will he get? He's shown me he can be a solid second pairing guy with some offensive upside, if he wants term I'd go 8/40 or if he wants a bridge to make a case for more on the next one, I'd go 2/6

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bringing this back to Gav, what kind of contract will he get? He's shown me he can be a solid second pairing guy with some offensive upside, if he wants term I'd go 8/40 or if he wants a bridge to make a case for more on the next one, I'd go 2/6
I don't know that you pay him more than Werenski and Jones but he might get 4.75 for 3 years would be a spitball guess. Keeps him under Werenski in Savard territory.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Still don’t understand why Panarin would leave Cbus to live in Connecticut. I understood the moving to NYC (i.e., the actual city) thing; that’s something Cbus can’t provide (huge city lifestyle, Russian population, etc.). Don’t really get the point of going out there to not actually live in NYC when he could have gotten just as nice of a house in Dublin or New Albany or UA for much cheaper with a much better commute than what he has now. But whatever, I digress...

That's probably why you still live in the Columbus area (I assume?) and people who prefer something else live elsewhere.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
So... why not just live there?
No real reason to live in NYC to experience it. Nothing wrong with commuting. There is also nothing to stop Panarin from having an apartment (or a super fine hotel suite) in NYC for when he wants to make a night of it and not bother going back home

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
That's probably why you still live in the Columbus area (I assume?) and people who prefer something else live elsewhere.

I actually live in Chicago (the city though, not Naperville or Munster, Ind.). Part of the reason why I moved to Chicago (grew up in Dublin) was because I wanted a bigger city (I’m about the same age as Panarin) so as I said I get that, just don’t understand why he’d live in Greenwich if the draw is NYC. In particular because, even living in Cbus, he could still get to NYC for mini-vacations and what not very easily with the money he makes.

Also given he had a connection, friendships/teammates, etc., in Columbus and nothing of that sort in New York. That was also part of the reason why I moved to Chicago (actually from DC, where I first lived out of college); I had a lot of college friends in Chi. Just seems like given all that and the fact he uprooted himself and left familiar surroundings for no people/connection in particular, he’d want to actually, you know... live there, not a far-out suburb in another state with a similar environment he could get in a number of Cbus suburbs at a much cheaper cost with easier access to the arena.

I’ve all along recognized his right to move wherever he pleases (and I HATE the “loyalty” campaign and have from the start; it’s very small-timey and I think ironically feeds into that notion of Cbus that was actually part of the reason he left). I’m not questioning the right to move, more the logic if he’s not going to live in the city. Regardless, this will be my last post about it in this thread, because:

a) I think as a fan base/organization we need to move on. Seriously; and
b) This thread’s about Gavrikov.

The only additional thing I’ll say in relation to the picture is I really hope those guys aren’t feeding his head with any ideas or negative thoughts about the city. I’m pretty sure Tyutin was hired as a front office worker or something by us a couple years ago. Not sure his exact role (or even if he’s still with the organization) but I hope he’s in Gavrikov’s ear.

Last edited:

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
No real reason to live in NYC to experience it. Nothing wrong with commuting. There is also nothing to stop Panarin from having an apartment (or a super fine hotel suite) in NYC for when he wants to make a night of it and not bother going back home

Fair point. Don’t want to make a bigger deal about it. It’s his life. Also (regardless of actual lifestyle) the Rangers are a much bigger/more prestigious brand, particularly in Russia, than CBJ, even if they were playing in the equivalent of Green Bay, Wisc (like the Packers are possibly the 2nd-biggest NFL brand behind the Cowboys, compared to a franchise like the Bengals or Ravens). So NYC’s just a cherry on top.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I think both of those are fair. I’m leaning more and more to 8-year deals (if they’re willing to sign them) with RFAs. In particular, I think the cap is going to shoot up in the next couple years after the new TV deal is signed, so I’d rather lock guys in at lower rates than do a bridge and then have to sign them after a higher cap is in effect.

I’d have no concern going $5M long-term on Gavrikov. I think he’s the real deal. If you know you’ve got him locked up for the long haul, too, it can make Savard or Murray more expendable.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Can not compare them just because they are from the same country.
It’s got nothing to do with nationality but with similar situations, he came out of the KHL and had a strong first season, then immediately got signed to a big contract which caused the trade to Ottawa then

Reactions: lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It’s got nothing to do with nationality but with similar situations, he came out of the KHL and had a strong first season, then immediately got signed to a big contract which caused the trade to Ottawa then

I am joking a little, although he is looking better than Zaitsev overall so far.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
In the city you never escape the hustle and bustle that is NYC. As other have said it is a short commute to the city and I'm sure at his salary he has a driver at his disposal. Although it is a long way to Brighton Beach and the large Russian community.
I looked it up the other day and based on his instagram location time stamp (which was just general Greenwich) it was 55 minutes by car, 1.5 hrs by train... neither of which is short or desirable in my mind..

Honestly kinda reminds me of the whole Sunrise/Miami thing..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->