Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Guerrero inducted into baseball Hall of Fame

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Can someone give a rundown please?

When he was with the Expos I always knew he was a super star but after the team left I stopped following. So he went on after that to add to his HOF resume and be an even bigger star?

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Ok I will point out I’m English, but baseball is so so so boring. They get paid millions to hit a ball which half the time they don’t hit. I fall asleep before anything happens, it’s on a par with 5 day cricket test match. There is no excitement in it apart from the odd home runs, why y’all so excited by it?

Reactions: JayKing

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Can someone give a rundown please?

When he was with the Expos I always knew he was a super star but after the team left I stopped following. So he went on after that to add to his HOF resume and be an even bigger star?
Vlad won 3 consecutive silver sluggers, 3 all star nods and an MVP on Anaheim immediately after he left the Expos. He made the playoffs 4 of his 5 seasons with the Angels. There's certainly a healthy debate on which team "put him in the Hall"- the homer in me (Vlad was my childhood hero; him going to the angels was one of my big childhood heartbreaks, along with losing the Expos) says he should've gone in as an Expo- his statline was stronger, he was far more valuable to the city of Montreal than he was to Anaheim/LA, his stretch from ~'92-2002 is one of the most dominating offensive runs in recent history, and so on. On the other hand, he achieved more accolades with the angels. If you want to be great, you need awards, and you need post season apps, both of which he got in LA.

As a turn of the century Expos fan, I also know that two other things that may have impacted his decision is that 1) Expos management has some reputation for not treating their players well- I know that Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met in part because the mets "treated him better", and I'm also sure despite being a great city, playing for the Expos in their last days might not have been a great thrill, especially compared to playing for the Angels who were still close to their peak. Secondly, the reality is that LA is a current MLB team, and the Expos no longer exist, and have not for 14 years. Much as Vlad is the last great player from Montreal, he's also LA's first hall of famer, and I think if MLB had a hand in deciding his cap, which I assume they did, there's virtually no incentive for them to have Vlad represent Montreal, while there is an incentive to get an Angel in the HOF.

So basically, he did "step it up" and become a bigger star on the Angels, but there's a reasonable argument for getting him in as an Expo. I think a lot of this decision has to do with more than just his statline. Disappointed he didn't go in as an Expo, but I'm glad he still somewhat keeps ties with the community here.

Also, as a homer, I will not for even an instant be told that Vald didn't hit 40/40 that one year where his 40th off the scoreboard was called a foul ball or something.

Ok I will point out I’m English, but baseball is so so so boring. They get paid millions to hit a ball which half the time they don’t hit. I fall asleep before anything happens, it’s on a par with 5 day cricket test match. There is no excitement in it apart from the odd home runs, why y’all so excited by it?
Baseball, like Golf is really a sport you have to "understand" to appreciate watching. Even though batters only hit "half the time" (really, it's closer to a quarter of the time, if they're lucky) hockey players score under 1/10th of the time they shoot the puck. That said, understanding what makes a pitcher great, how great defensive teams position themselves and run defensive plays, how good batters read pitches, run out extra bases and turn a lot of nothing into good offense is really interesting. But it's not like hockey or football where you can tune in and get hooked instantly.

Last edited:

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Vlad won 3 consecutive silver sluggers, 3 all star nods and an MVP on Anaheim immediately after he left the Expos. He made the playoffs 4 of his 5 seasons with the Angels. There's certainly a healthy debate on which team "put him in the Hall"- the homer in me (Vlad was my childhood hero; him going to the angels was one of my big childhood heartbreaks, along with losing the Expos) says he should've gone in as an Expo- his statline was stronger, he was far more valuable to the city of Montreal than he was to Anaheim/LA, his stretch from ~'92-2002 is one of the most dominating offensive runs in recent history, and so on. On the other hand, he achieved more accolades with the angels. If you want to be great, you need awards, and you need post season apps, both of which he got in LA.

As a turn of the century Expos fan, I also know that two other things that may have impacted his decision is that 1) Expos management has some reputation for not treating their players well- I know that Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met in part because the mets "treated him better", and I'm also sure despite being a great city, playing for the Expos in their last days might not have been a great thrill, especially compared to playing for the Angels who were still close to their peak. Secondly, the reality is that LA is a current MLB team, and the Expos no longer exist, and have not for 14 years. Much as Vlad is the last great player from Montreal, he's also LA's first hall of famer, and I think if MLB had a hand in deciding his cap, which I assume they did, there's virtually no incentive for them to have Vlad represent Montreal, while there is an incentive to get an Angel in the HOF.

So basically, he did "step it up" and become a bigger star on the Angels, but there's a reasonable argument for getting him in as an Expo. I think a lot of this decision has to do with more than just his statline. Disappointed he didn't go in as an Expo, but I'm glad he still somewhat keeps ties with the community here.

Also, as a homer, I will not for even an instant be told that Vald didn't hit 40/40 that one year where his 40th off the scoreboard was called a foul ball or something.

Baseball, like Golf is really a sport you have to "understand" to appreciate watching. Even though batters only hit "half the time" (really, it's closer to a quarter of the time, if they're lucky) hockey players score under 1/10th of the time they shoot the puck. That said, understanding what makes a pitcher great, how great defensive teams position themselves and run defensive plays, how good batters read pitches, run out extra bases and turn a lot of nothing into good offense is really interesting. But it's not like hockey or football where you can tune in and get hooked instantly.

Good points. Saw some good pictures on FB yesterday with Expo fans and Vlad, how many Angel fans were there?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
You kinda have to grow up with it to really ''get it'' I think. Most baseball fans ( me included) will 100% agree that's it very slow and yet we find it captivating somehow. It's a very cerebral game, for lack of a better word.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A while back I was having lunch with some Americans and they made fun of Canadians for saying ''aboot' rather than about. I said that this was no longer true, and Canadians say 'about' now.

One woman interrupted me, she said that she knew several people from Canada and they all pronounce it 'aboot'.

I felt then as I do now, lol. These regional accents are for the most part dead. I've lived here for two years. If I hear an accent it's because somebody happens to be from overseas, or is of a different ethnic group.
Actually I never knew anyone in my whole life who said "aboot". I have, however, met several Canadians who pronounce it "aboat" instead of "about"

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Baseball was my favorite sport growing up and it was the most popular North American sport back then . Somewhere along the way the game really slowed down . Batters step out , adjust their cap,gloves ,family jewels ,etc. and pitchers do something similar . Lots of warming up that goes on all game long that doesn't happen in other sports .

I find the game boring now too. Believe they will have to make adjustments to speed up the game at some point .

Edit: in comparison in the NHL pucks frozen along the boards used to mean an automatic whistle, now that is rare . They also added the delayed offside rule that allows players to 'tag up'. Two moves that helped speed up games .

Last edited:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Good points. Saw some good pictures on FB yesterday with Expo fans and Vlad, how many Angel fans were there?
Haven't checked, but if I had to guess, there were probably more Expos fans. Cooperstown isn't too far away (And a great weekend getaway whether you like baseball or not), and he's really the last thing left from the Expos- no one else is in the league (save for Bartolo Colon, a great Expo), no one else is getting in the hall or really worth that much recognition, and for the Angels, I think they have a lot of other great players from their world series and subsequent deep PO runs, so I'm not sure he's as important to them as us.

Reactions: Laurentide and lynx

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Actually I never knew anyone in my whole life who said "aboot". I have, however, met several Canadians who pronounce it "aboat" instead of "about"

There aren't a lot of regional accents left in Canada, but I have noticed that Newfoundlanders sound a little different.

I've also never heard anybody say 'about'.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Baseball is just one of those sports that is much more fun to play than it is to watch. There are just more opportunities for heroic individual play that makes it more exciting than playing even hockey or soccer. We used to play regularly every weekend pretty regularly during the summer and we always had some great moments from the game to talk about when we went to eat after the game.

If you followed the Expos then you know they had a great team and the love for that team carried over even when they left so switching to a baseball game on TV after a hard days work even if it was just background noise as you did other stuff around the house was very relaxing for me.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Haven't checked, but if I had to guess, there were probably more Expos fans. Cooperstown isn't too far away (And a great weekend getaway whether you like baseball or not), and he's really the last thing left from the Expos- no one else is in the league (save for Bartolo Colon, a great Expo), no one else is getting in the hall or really worth that much recognition, and for the Angels, I think they have a lot of other great players from their world series and subsequent deep PO runs, so I'm not sure he's as important to them as us.

They are working on limits of pitcher time between throws and batter leaving the box. It's being tested in the minors, maybe it will make it up to MLB next season or 2020. It was nice a few years ago when the jays had a few pitchers like Dicky and Buehrle who kept a quick pace on throwing.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
There aren't a lot of regional accents left in Canada, but I have noticed that Newfoundlanders sound a little different.

I've also never heard anybody say 'about'.
Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians have definite regional accents, and some people in the Ottawa Valley also have a regional twang.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Instant replay hasn't done a thing to help speed up the pace of baseball games. I hate it in baseball and I also hate that you can't slide hard into a base and have to avoid collisions at the plate now. Just another wussification of a sport supposedly played by men. If you want to see a no-contact sport, watch soccer with all the other metros. I like hard slides into second base with spikes up, bone-jarring collisions at home plate and the "purpose" or "brush-back" pitch.

Oh, and I also hate the DH rule most of all.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Baseball is a stats junkies dream. There are just so many stats and stratgies you can play off those stats.

Also I find baseball is the perfect game to listen to, so it plays great on radio. Its why I think baseball was so popular and then started to fade to sports like Football and Basketball.

I think its more like a boxing match since most of the time it comes down to the pitcher vs the batter. Its like a giant game or rock paper scissors.

But watching it on TV is probably the least effective way to enjoy baseball.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Baseball is a stats junkies dream. There are just so many stats and stratgies you can play off those stats.

Also I find baseball is the perfect game to listen to, so it plays great on radio. Its why I think baseball was so popular and then started to fade to sports like Football and Basketball.

I think its more like a boxing match since most of the time it comes down to the pitcher vs the batter. Its like a giant game or rock paper scissors.

Baseball is the only sport that might actually be better on the radio than on TV (provided that the broadcast crew of the team in question is really good at their jobs) There was nothing better than sitting out in the back yard with Dave and Duke calling an Expos game in the background on a transistor radio or boom box.

I can recall during the summer of 87 I was working 2 security gigs to pay for college. One gig was in Dorval Monday to Friday at a trucking company and the other was Saturday-Sunday at a building products plant in LaSalle. On the weekends I was working 12 hour shifts so whether the game was in the afternoon or evening I was usually in my little guard shack with the radio tuned to CFCF listening to Buck Rodgers' bunch of over-achievers win 91 games and finish 4 back of the Cards for the NL East crown (the best team in the NL West that year, the Giants, had only 90 wins)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That's actually a great point. I never thought of baseball like that before. Come to think of it, it does seem like a much better radio sport than TV, granted you have a PBP who is a great storyteller.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man I miss the Expos.

Was wonderful to hear Dave Van Horne on Melnick's show yesterday. He expressed major disappointment at Vlad wearing the wrong cap.

When the Expos will be back, I hope we can have Dave return to a Montreal broadcast booth, where he belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad