Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Guerrero inducted into baseball Hall of Fame

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
that dumb ass (and all the 'roid athletes like Ortiz, A rod, Clemens etc...) is why a not insigificant percent of people watch baseball today. Old heads in the HOF should grow up but whatever. Terell Owens still hasn't gotten in to the football HOF eiether so it's clear it doesn't mean much
Actually, he's a big reason why a lot of people no longer watch.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
good to see.

One of the most natural hitters I saw with the Spos, up there with Al Oliver and Tim Raines.

I gotta say, I miss the Expos but not baseball.

The two things that made me lose interest were the lack of a salary cap but maybe even more so the length of the games.

Under two hour games were not uncommon back in the day.

I'm sure I would even lose some interest in hockey if the games were regularily as long as baseball games.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
ah, the times when a team in montreal knew how to draft and develop...
I remember when Charles Bronfman brought in some top scouts, Gary Hughes and Fred Ferreira, their impact was dramatic.

It`s what the Habs need.

Reactions: Runner77

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
The expos havent been relevant in over a decade for one. Second, Vlad may love the city but his best seasons were with the angels. The two biggest things you can achieve in the game are first the world series championship, which he did with them, and second is the MVP...again with them. It makes sense.

I dont get the butthurt. Big deal.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It’s hard to defend Vlad on this

He himself knows he is more of an expos
He could make a lot more money making appearances as a Hall of Fame Angel than Expo. I get it.

He also had his best season in Anaheim as well. It's disappointing, but I understand it.

Here's a picture of me in LA in what I assume is 2007. I was a little bitter.

ldD6six.jpg

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The expos havent been relevant in over a decade for one. Second, Vlad may love the city but his best seasons were with the angels. The two biggest things you can achieve in the game are first the world series championship, which he did with them, and second is the MVP...again with them. It makes sense.

I dont get the ********. Big deal.

Even if vlad jr was born in Canada and is a Canadian citizen Vlad requested US citizenship. Lets also keep in mind one team exists and will likely continue for a long time while Expos are gone. In Vlad shoes Id make the same choices.

Hoping Larry Walker will get the vote, a long shot for sure. Bartolo Colon is the last active ExExpos but chances are pretty much nill unless he wins another cy young or two...not gonna happen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melnick asked which team Larry Walker thought Guerrero would have picked, had he been asked before Guerrero actually made his selection. Walker picked Montreal without hesitation -- he said the Expos are the ones who discovered him and gave him his first opportunity and he has more games played in Montreal than Anaheim.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He was worth the price of admission by himself, too bad it happened in that stupid building out in nowhere land.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Doesn't really matter that he's going in with an Angels cap on. Vlad was one hell of a bright spot during some of the darkest days in Montreal baseball. He is my favorite ball player of all time and I am glad Montreal got 8 seasons with him.

He is the very first Angel to go into the HOF. A huge market team and their first ever HOF player, I'm assuming it's a savvy business decision for him to don the halo. Foolish to bad mouth him for his decision. I'd have love to seen him in an Expos cap, but so it goes.

Thanks for the memories Vlad and sorry for the shitty astroturf at The Big O

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Walker isn’t getting traction. People overestimate the impact of Coors Field on his numbers.

Great fielder with a cannon arm as well. He was pretty much a five tool player.

There's a formula that's used for evening up the disadvantages - - - - - - - - - - advantages of each field. Walker still comes out very high, still comes out with HOF numbers.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Foolish to bad mouth him for his decision.

No, foolish to pretend that one can't have a different opinion.

No one is losing sleep over his choice of being an halo. Get over yourself.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Melnick asked which team Larry Walker thought Guerrero would have picked, had he been asked before Guerrero actually made his selection. Walker picked Montreal without hesitation -- he said the Expos are the ones who discovered him and gave him his first opportunity and he has more games played in Montreal than Anaheim.

More games played etc etc doesnt mean much. He was appeasing Montreal radio listeners is all with that comment.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There's a formula that's used for evening up the disadvantages - - - - - - - - - - advantages of each field. Walker still comes out very high, still comes out with HOF numbers.

Not sure he is a HOF if you consider his offense only but he was such a great outfielder. I've seen him retire a guy at first on a single like 3 or 4 times. I don't think i've ever seen any other right outfielder doing that. Not saying it never happens but it's rare. It was special. Like the guy hits a single. Take his time to the first then boom Walker throw a strike to the first base to retire him. Walker had all the tools. Defense. Batting average. Power. Rarely 100 strikeouts a year. Decent speed on base. I mean he finished 5th for mvp in Montreal in 1992.

A career like that in hockey and you go straight to the HOF. Won 7 gold glove. Not all at the same position i think. 3 silver slugger. Many all stars. Definitely HOF worthy in another sport.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Vlad is going with what his agent is telling him, no doubt. Plus, he probably had fun playing in California. He never felt that attached to Montreal, TBH.

I remember when I interviewed Andres Galarraga while he was ripping it stats wise. I asked him what had changed (physically, stance, swing-wise, mentally) from the previous year. His answer: 'I see dé ball good. I see dé ball and I hit it'. That was it. I then realized that many pro athletes have other qualities than being eloquent or being very bright in regular life.

Mind you, I still love Andres. Loved El Gato to death. But you guys need to realize that all that numerous athletes did from their young age to the pros was...hit a ball, catch a ball, throw a ball, hit a ball, catch a ball, throw a ball, hit a ball, catch a ball...They are unconscious of their excellence and their talent. But that's all they have. I see a lot of that with hockey players too. To each his own.

That's why I don't hold it against Vlad. All he KNEW was hitting and throwing and catching. That's it. Heck, he never learned to speak bare minimum english. He probably felt very comfortable in SoCal because he could go by his life while speaking spanish all the time. They can't be all like Rock or Andre or the Kid or Brady. I think Vlad is a very lucky man, because he exploited his unique talent. Hope he realizes it.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The whole hat thing is stupid anyway. Just put their face on a plaque with the logos of the teams they played for underneath. Such a dumb trivial thing that causes pointless arguments.

Yeah, especially with the amount of movement we see these days with players switching teams.

We are celebrating the player first and foremost, and the hat that he is going to wear takes away from it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah, especially with the amount of movement we see these days with players switching teams.

We are celebrating the player first and foremost, and the hat that he is going to wear takes away from it.

Hat or not i still consider Vlad as being an expos in the HOF. I mean he started here and played 8 seasons here. One of my favorite player of all time.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Don't mind it. Expected it, even. There's a limit to how attached you can be to playing years in front of 8000 people vs sell out crowds, multiple playoffs, a WS, an MVP. And, the team doesn't even exist anymore.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad