Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He was joking about how he scored the goal the other day that was overturned by the offside review.

The blinking, that can just be from anxiety or stress. I haven't noticed it before.

great, I thought he was talking about last year pre-season goal.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think fans are going to love him and he will settle down some of the uneasiness people have about our top prospects not showing that flash that other top end prospects are. Even if he doesn't produce, which I think he will; his skill is very apparent. Kakko & Laf were billed as more NHL-ready guys, though they may not look physically overwhelmed right now they sort of just blend in. I've seen people comment on how if they didn't know better they would've guessed Laf/Kakko were career 4th line plugs in their late 20's and that Blackwell was the high flying top pick. Players like Stutzle & Hughes who haven't produced like Matthews or anything, but they show flashes of brilliance a lot more than Kakko & Laf have.

Both Laf & Kakko are the type of player that's "more than the sum of their parts". Neither are great skaters, neither have a rocket of a shot, they were known for their hockey IQ and all around game as prospects. Kravtsov has the wheels, dangles, shot, etc. He also has that Kovalev mentality and I could see him absolutely not giving a f*** and just skating out there doing his signature between the legs deke and not becoming more "milquetoast" like how Laf & Kakko have been.
Well this aged well. ;)
And he did did pull out the signature between the legs deke the very first shift after scoring his first goal :laugh: I love how confident he is

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Well this aged well. ;)
And he did did pull out the signature between the legs deke the very first shift after scoring his first goal :laugh: I love how confident he is

not so much on the Laf and kakko takes considering the bullet shot Lafreniere has shown a few times and the phenomenal stickhandling kakko busts out consistently in the ozone corners....

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
not so much on the Laf and kakko takes considering the bullet shot Lafreniere has shown a few times and the phenomenal stickhandling kakko busts out consistently in the ozone corners....
Watch some Kravtsov highlights, the guy has a way better shot than Laf. Laf essentially has no slapshot or one timer to speak of and Kravtsov has one of the best

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Watch some Kravtsov highlights, the guy has a way better shot than Laf. Laf essentially has no slapshot or one timer to speak of and Kravtsov has one of the best

move the goalposts more why don’t ya?

I don’t see the need or worth of underselling the talents of our top prospects to applaud another one. Kakko has some great highlights ripping slap shots from the blue line past goalies at the worlds or to set up a rebound for zibanejad in his 5 goal game for instance

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
move the goalposts more why don’t ya?

I don’t see the need or worth of underselling the talents of our top prospects to applaud another one. Kakko has some great highlights ripping slap shots from the blue line past goalies at the worlds or to set up a rebound for zibanejad in his 5 goal game for instance
That Worlds goal was a knuckle-puck that was spinning oddly which is why the goalie didn't save it, it wasn't a blistering rocket. And that other one was a slapshot that hit the boards lol
Watch any highlights of Laf he very seldom ever takes a slapshot. Most people agree that Kakko has a bad shot, Rangers fans complain about it all the time.

Do you think Laf & Kakko have better slapshots & one timers than Kravtsov? I don't think any objective person could watch highlights of the 3 and come to that conclusion. Kravtsov's slapshot was 100mph in the skills comp btw

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
That Worlds goal was a knuckle-puck that was spinning oddly which is why the goalie didn't save it, it wasn't a blistering rocket. And that other one was a slapshot that hit the boards lol
Watch any highlights of Laf he very seldom ever takes a slapshot. Most people agree that Kakko has a bad shot, Rangers fans complain about it all the time.

Do you think Laf & Kakko have better slapshots & one timers than Kravtsov? I don't think any objective person could watch highlights of the 3 and come to that conclusion. Kravtsov's slapshot was 100mph in the skills comp btw

1) first you said "shot". Now it's suddenly "slapshots and one-timers".
2) IDC about most Rangers' fans saying anything about Kakko's shot after having to hear them complain about Rick Nash's and Marian Gaborik's through 40 goal seasons.
3) If we're really going by pre-draft highlight packages, Lafreniere and Kakko's compilations both blow Kravtsov's out of the water--in fact, Kravtsov has two more years post draft outside of the NHL and including those wouldn't match those two. They were picked 1 and 2OA, they dominated their respective leagues as junior aged players and have been good enough to cut their teeth in the NHL as younger players than Kravstov.
4) The point is that this way of comparing these prospects is not only pointless, it's disingenuous. As far as objectivity goes, your takes on Lafreniere and Kakko are golden examples of confirmation bias. They've both made brilliant plays since they've come to the league. No they're not the fastest skaters, but your takes make it sound like that's all 'flashes of brilliance' can be born from, which is just silly.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Love Kravtsov but Kakko this year is >>>> the Russian in terms of NHL readiness. Same goes for Lafreniere (next year?). Need to compare to in terms of age when it comes to prospects.

Otherwise I have absolutely no desire or need to criticize one of our prized prospects to have lift another, especially when absolutely no one has said anything negative about Kravtsov performance in the NHL in itself or as a comparison to Lafreniere or Kakko.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Love Kravtsov but Kakko this year is >>>> the Russian in terms of NHL readiness. Same goes for Lafreniere (next year?). Need to compare to in terms of age when it comes to prospects.

Otherwise I have absolutely no desire or need to criticize one of our prized prospects to have lift another, especially when absolutely no one has said anything negative about Kravtsov performance in the NHL in itself or as a comparison to Lafreniere or Kakko.
I mean isn't it commonly understood that you compare players in their respective D+x seasons--or if you want, their Age x seasons?

It also seems silly to tear down other prospects to build up "your guy" when all of them being successful is obviously the optimal outcome. It's weird when people become fans of players more so than the team.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I mean isn't it commonly understood that you compare players in their respective D+x seasons--or if you want, their Age x seasons?

It also seems silly to tear down other prospects to build up "your guy" when all of them being successful is obviously the optimal outcome. It's weird when people become fans of players more so than the team.

Apparently not.

Same as comparing the youngest team in the league to a fully matured one.

Reactions: nyr2k2

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
myMQzIV.png

Fishstick fans talking about him like he's some freak of nature :laugh::laugh::laugh: Frankenstov

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
myMQzIV.png

Fishstick fans talking about him like he's some freak of nature :laugh::laugh::laugh: Frankenstov

What is this guy on about? Kravtsov has been creating his own time and space while playing with 4th liners (and in Howden's case, not even a 4th liner). He doesn't need good players to draw away defenders. He creates enough separation on his own. What a weird take.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
What is this guy on about? Kravtsov has been creating his own time and space while playing with 4th liners (and in Howden's case, not even a 4th liner). He doesn't need good players to draw away defenders. He creates enough separation on his own. What a weird take.

Someone whom clearly has never watched this kid for longer than three YouTube clips before three weeks ago.

Clown fans over there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I feel like because Kravtsov is your guy, you're practically rooting against Kakko and Laf to make your opinion of Kravtsov look good. You do the same with anyone you like/don't like.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I feel like because Kravtsov is your guy, you're practically rooting against Kakko and Laf to make your opinion of Kravtsov look good. You do the same with anyone you like/don't like.
I pump his tires for sure and brag about being right about him, I’ve seen fans post much harsher things about Kakko/Laf than I have. The only time I’ve ever “put them down” is when saying I think Kravtsov has looked better than them. You won’t find any posts of mine saying Kakko or Laf suck or that they’re going to bust (which I’ve seen many fans say) only posts where I say I think Kravtsov looks better

I’m also younger than most, many of this forum grew up without internet when they were kids. I’ve been posting on hockey forums since I was 6 (originally Canucks forum) so I’ve always used forums as just like normal casual conversation, the same way I’d talk with friends. I think you can often get a general idea of peoples ages based on their posting style. There are some people here who are my grandpas age, all the stupid takes they had when they were younger weren’t broadcasted for the world to see. Many people have settled down and never posted on a forum until they were a seasoned vet lol. I guess I talk in a more exaggerated manner than most, it’s like how when I’m texting with my parents they always seem so monotone compared to real life :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I pump his tires for sure and brag about being right about him, I’ve seen fans post much harsher things about Kakko/Laf than I have. The only time I’ve ever “put them down” is when saying I think Kravtsov has looked better than them. You won’t find any posts of mine saying Kakko or Laf suck or that they’re going to bust (which I’ve seen many fans say) only posts where I say I think Kravtsov looks better

I’m also younger than most, many of this forum grew up without internet when they were kids. I’ve been posting on hockey forums since I was 6 (originally Canucks forum) so I’ve always used forums as just like normal casual conversation, the same way I’d talk with friends. I think you can often get a general idea of peoples ages based on their posting style. There are some people here who are my grandpas age, all the stupid takes they had when they were younger weren’t broadcasted for the world to see. Many people have settled down and never posted on a forum until they were a seasoned vet lol. I guess I talk in a more exaggerated manner than most, it’s like how when I’m texting with my parents they always seem so monotone compared to real life :laugh:

I've been posting on message boards, specifically the NYR official message board (which was called a bulletin board at the time) since I was 13 or 14 in like 2000.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad