Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
kravys first games in preseason after his draft were underwhelming. And that’s being generous. His further development and maturation have done wonders for him.

Kravtsov, in his first preseason games that year, looked absolutely terrible and all he did was try to dangle around everyone and kept turning the puck over. This year he looks like a completely different and much better player.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Kravtsov, in his first preseason games that year, looked absolutely terrible and all he did was try to dangle around everyone and kept turning the puck over. This year he looks like a completely different and much better player.

He is now a 200 foot player, which is what Kakko is becoming, and Laf will become.

The key difference between Kravtsov and Kakko/Laf is that with Kakko/Laf, we are getting to see the sausage being made.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Im actually really surprised with how polished he looks. It seems to have been the right move for him to go back to Russia.

he is very engaged and has been a great surprise defensively.

If/when we get eliminated from PO contention I hope Quinn trys him ar center for a little so see how he looks.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is his d+3 year. Let's keep it in perspective. He does look better than Kakko and arguably could be the better player in their d+3 seasons.... but lets wait and see what Kakko looks like next season.

Laf is in his d+.5 season.

Reactions: haveandare

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
This is his d+3 year. Let's keep it in perspective. He does look better than Kakko and arguably could be the better player in their d+3 seasons.... but lets wait and see what Kakko looks like next season.

and laff and kakko bother were affected by COVID time than Kravtsov.

especially laff who never had a preseason game or a true training camp.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
kravys first games in preseason after his draft were underwhelming. And that’s being generous. His further development and maturation have done wonders for him.

And we're 2 years and two seasons (in the AHL and KHL) removed from then. Always worthy to be patient with kids development (as in before calling them "busts", "career 4th liner", etc.)

Reactions: Svenhart2008

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yes. Important distinction.

Lafrenière in his D+1: NHL regular
Kravtsov in his D+1: KHL regular

Kakko in his D+2: NHL regular
Kravtsov in his D+2: AHL/KHL/VHL/AHL

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. Important distinction.

Lafrenière in his D+1: NHL regular
Kravtsov in his D+1: KHL regular

Kakko in his D+2: NHL regular
Kravtsov in his D+2: AHL/KHL/VHL/AHL

Why complicate the comparison? Not a progressive time so you could've just combined two AHL into one, and his time in the VHL had nothing to do with needing more development in a level below KHL

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Im actually really surprised with how polished he looks. It seems to have been the right move for him to go back to Russia.

he is very engaged and has been a great surprise defensively.

If/when we get eliminated from PO contention I hope Quinn trys him ar center for a little so see how he looks.
can we send Laf to Russia for a few months?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still maintain that coming back to the AHL last season was the single most important thing in his development to date. It was really beaten into him there that he wasn't going to be able to be successful playing so much East-West and trying to carry the puck all the time--he needed to be quicker and more decisive, needed to learn when to chip and chase, and saw firsthand that players with much less talent could be more successful than him by doing things like playing hard at the net. I think it served as a wakeup call that, "To be successful in the NHL I'm going to have to make some adjustments to the way I play the game." And then he largely did that this season in the KHL, becoming more of a North-South bull, learning to use his big frame in front of the net (he had a lot of goals from there this year), playing that 200-foot game, etc.

I'm not saying that he would have failed without playing in the AHL or anything. The other essential part was the attitude adjustment, that he came back willing to work and learn in Hartford. And then the further commitment to take what he learned here, bring it back home to the KHL and continue to implement it. I had said several time that "learning to play the North American game" isn't really a thing for everybody, but it is a thing for some guys, and based on how Kravtsov played I think he needed it. It was a weird and uncomfortable path here, but in the end it looks like it worked out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why complicate the comparison? Not a progressive time so you could've just combined two AHL into one, and his time in the VHL had nothing to do with needing more development in a level below KHL

Yes, he was in the VHL due to the international break. I'm just listing his path that season

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I still maintain that coming back to the AHL last season was the single most important thing in his development to date. It was really beaten into him there that he wasn't going to be able to be successful playing so much East-West and trying to carry the puck all the time--he needed to be quicker and more decisive, needed to learn when to chip and chase, and saw firsthand that players with much less talent could be more successful than him by doing things like playing hard at the net. I think it served as a wakeup call that, "To be successful in the NHL I'm going to have to make some adjustments to the way I play the game." And then he largely did that this season in the KHL, becoming more of a North-South bull, learning to use his big frame in front of the net (he had a lot of goals from there this year), playing that 200-foot game, etc.

I'm not saying that he would have failed without playing in the AHL or anything. The other essential part was the attitude adjustment, that he came back willing to work and learn in Hartford. And then the further commitment to take what he learned here, bring it back home to the KHL and continue to implement it. I had said several time that "learning to play the North American game" isn't really a thing for everybody, but it is a thing for some guys, and based on how Kravtsov played I think he needed it. It was a weird and uncomfortable path here, but in the end it looks like it worked out.

and it’s a testament to him that at such a young age he bought in like that. Plenty of guys take a lot longer or never get it. For all the crap mangment gets for prioritizing character, this is a component that matters

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah IDK who actually subscribes to that narrative. I remember being psyched about Kravtsov coming into camp, and other than scoring a goal, I thought he sucked in everything I saw. He was clearly not ready for the NHL and I don't really remember anyone writing that they thought otherwise. I actually remember this uneasy feeling when it became pretty apparent that not only was Kravtsov not close to being ready, but Chytil looked like he had regressed and would also probably need to start in Hartford. It sucked.

I actually don't really remember what Kakko looked like. I think I paid less attention because it was fairly obvious he'd be on the team regardless. Kravtsov was actually auditioning.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
and it’s a testament to him that at such a young age he bought in like that. Plenty of guys take a lot longer or never get it. For all the crap mangment gets for prioritizing character, this is a component that matters
Yes, and really, good for him for getting it and turning it around. I was really concerned that he wasn't going to buy in, that he was going to be stubborn and entitled and end up failing because of it.

For me it also reinforces the idea that the communication wasn't as bad as some people really seemed to want us to believe. I'm not saying it was great, or flawless, or anything close to it--but the team apparently was able to communicate to him what they wanted him to do differently and to focus on, since basically everything you could identify that he needed to improve on or change, he did.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

IMO just as important is the second part of your post about taking instructions from Hartford and continuing to work on these in KHL (where Gatyatulin is just as strict about structure and playing the right way away from the puck)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah IDK who actually subscribes to that narrative. I remember being psyched about Kravtsov coming into camp, and other than scoring a goal, I thought he sucked in everything I saw. He was clearly not ready for the NHL and I don't really remember anyone writing that they thought otherwise. I actually remember this uneasy feeling when it became pretty apparent that not only was Kravtsov not close to being ready, but Chytil looked like he had regressed and would also probably need to start in Hartford. It sucked.

I actually don't really remember what Kakko looked like. I think I paid less attention because it was fairly obvious he'd be on the team regardless. Kravtsov was actually auditioning.

I thought he looked lost as well. It was concerning at the time.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I thought he looked lost as well. It was concerning at the time.
I remember his issue in the pre-season games was his lack of forecheck and and level engagement. Which he has made an incredible 180 on. I can think of two other top 10 picks on our team that have struggled with forecheck/engagement in their first season(s). Bodes well for the development of Kakko and Laf.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
He forechecks and gets himself into position to shoot. Kakko and Laf could learn a thing or two from him. They can forecheck and back check but aren't great at putting themselves in a position to shoot/score.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He forechecks and gets himself into position to shoot. Kakko and Laf could learn a thing or two from him. They can forecheck and back check but aren't great at putting themselves in a position to shoot/score.

Kakko should be better at this since he has played against men at a young age like Kravtsov did..

Reactions: mas0764

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
This dude is going to be such a beast. It's insane how well-rounded and polished he looks already, noticeable on most shifts. Totally overreacting here, but looks like he could be Top 5 in points on the team in a year or two. Looks like, doesn't mean it'll happen. But that Buchnevich jump at a much younger age seems likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad