Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
But you can't protect yourself against every and any eventuality or injury and there's always an element of risk. It's part of the attraction to contact sports, putting your body on the line.

You're right about the carelessness or recklessness playing beer league and law of averages over time, but outside of eye protection, most everything else heals or can be fixed.

Half shield and the comprehensive plan. Gotta be on the comprehensive plan.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well I just ordered an Avision pro x visor. The reviews I read said it was every bit as good as the Bauer and Oakley visors, at a fraction of the price so we'll see.

I'm coming over from a Bauer hybrid mask and before that a cage. I had a different problem with the cages though. I found that when I wore a cage my eye's watered like crazy. I don't know if it was just the cool air hitting them or what, but I was constantly having to wipe my eye's. The hybrid wasn't bad because it had the visor up top, but that thing weighs a ton and always felt kind of awkward to wear. Hopefully I have found a nice middle ground of comfort and safety with the visor.

I have the Avision Pro X Visor, it's very, very good and doesn't fog at all. Great choice for a good cost.

However, I wear a full bubble for beer league ice hockey from the same company. I have the Avision Pro X half visor for casual pickup hockey outdoors and shiny, but decided to go full face protection for indoor/league hockey after a few close calls. http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/
I wear the clear older model; I'd like to try the new Elite mask as well.

I've never tried a cage. Yet.

Funny story about my gear and bubble: a week ago about 20ish 15-year-old kids watched my team practice, I was wearing my bubble and a Ottawa Senators #15 Heatley jersey. My buddie's wife said anytime I got the puck, the kids cheered me on like crazy I didn't notice it that much at first as I was super tired. As we went to the locker room all the little kids were complementing my bubble and jersey, "All-star, Heater, Dany Boy, nice bubble!" That was a pretty cool feeling and one my teammates thought was pretty funny.

Enjoy your new visor, it has served me well and I'll use it on my second helmet outside of beer league.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
But you can't protect yourself against every and any eventuality or injury and there's always an element of risk. It's part of the attraction to contact sports, putting your body on the line.

You're right about the carelessness or recklessness playing beer league and law of averages over time, but outside of eye protection, most everything else heals or can be fixed.

Just because I can't protect myself against everything doesn't mean I am going to put my face on the line for some potential extra vision and "style points." It's my preference.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford

You may or may not be in the same boat as me. However, at 37, with a wife and kids, an office job, and my only two nights out a week being hockey- I am not taking any unnecessary risks that can be easily avoided. I really don't feel like going through a bunch of dental work whether its covered or not.

Why risk injury, and possibly missing playing time due to something that can be so easily avoided? It makes no sense to me in the leagues that 99% of us play in. I am not knocking anyone for their personal choice or non choice of facial protection. I just look at it as an uneeded risk. It doesn't take much to knock a bunch of teeth out, or god forbid do something horrible to your eye(s).

As someone who wore a cage for the first time less than a year ago, it took all of two games to adjust it. I certainly don't trust where sticks and pucks are going in my leagues. Whether its an errant stick by accident, or the moron who can't control his slapper, the opportunity is there every game.

I understand the inherant risk of playing a sport like hockey, and I accept it. However, if something can be so easily protected, I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't take advantage of it.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

A cage protects your face a shield doesn't.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
You know not to add fuel to the fire here, but isn't it interesting that whether you are pro cage or pro visor nobody wears throat protectors. I mean we've all seen the video of the guys getting their throats cut open by flying skates. Even with doctors/ems on site (responding within seconds) those players still nearly died from loss of blood. We play rec league, if something like that happened to one of us, we'd be dead long before we got to a hospital. Whether you wear a cage or visor that area is still exposed. All this talk of easily avoidable risks. But how many of us were those throat guards? They're readily available at most pro shops or online. I guess that's the point of this, what risks are we comfortable taking and what risks do we refuse to take.

I personally decided to try out a visor. If my teeth get knocked out I will probably regret it and switch back. Until that day I'm going to enjoy the extra vision and uninhibited range of motion.

I won't go open face though, that's just. crazy:(

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I always wear a cage. I love visors but I have had many close calls (puck hit square inbetween the eyes, thank god for the visor there) but if that was inches lower I would have needed thousands in dental work.
I already pay to play mens league hockey, don't need a dental bill on top of that.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I only wear a cage if I'm playing with not so skilled or reckless players. Visors give me such a clear view that I can't get with the cage.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm not knocking anyone that wears a full cage at all, it's a personal preference thing; just that even playing non checking there's plenty of risk involved regardless. We've got a guy out with a badly broken wrist, a clean snap and another with a broken collar bone.

I feel pretty secure with helmet, visor and mouthguard, imagine there are traditionally probably more broken necks then there are sliced carotids and just know I'm due a bad knee injury before I have to worry about anything else.

..and of course accidents happen, but woe betide any cheap shot merchant that wants to play dirty.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You know not to add fuel to the fire here, but isn't it interesting that whether you are pro cage or pro visor nobody wears throat protectors. I mean we've all seen the video of the guys getting their throats cut open by flying skates. Even with doctors/ems on site (responding within seconds) those players still nearly died from loss of blood. We play rec league, if something like that happened to one of us, we'd be dead long before we got to a hospital. Whether you wear a cage or visor that area is still exposed. All this talk of easily avoidable risks. But how many of us were those throat guards? They're readily available at most pro shops or online. I guess that's the point of this, what risks are we comfortable taking and what risks do we refuse to take.

I personally decided to try out a visor. If my teeth get knocked out I will probably regret it and switch back. Until that day I'm going to enjoy the extra vision and uninhibited range of motion.

i used to wear a throat guard for a few years until it ripped a while ago. never had any issues with it at all and i don't know why more people don't wear them

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I've been smacked in the face by high sticks at least 3~4 times in the last two years of playing.

If I was wearing a visor, I'm probably looking at 5~6 broken teeth.

If I was wearing nothing, I'm probably looking at the above and a missing eye.

I'm pretty happy with my cage.

And for those who complain about people high sticking and taking high shots - get a cage or a shield. While it's true players should be responsible with where their stick and puck goes (directly), you're the one exposing yourself to the danger of being hit in the face. It's 50/50 here.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford

I definitely agree with you 100% in theory. My take on that though is- I liken the chance of getting your throat slashed open by a skate while playing hockey to that of getting attacked by a shark, struck by lightning, or on the bright side, winning 500 million dollars. Can they all happen? Absolutely. However, the likelihood is next to zero.
Like I said, I do agree with you. A neck guard is an extremely accessible piece of equipment for any player. Even though 99% of rec leaguers don't use them(I don't). As I said, I think it's a percentage game. I still swim in the ocean, still might go out/travel in a storm, and play the lottery once in awhile. I've seen guys lose tooth, take sticks to the eye, and have had both happen to myself(luckily I was wearing a cage). Thankfully, I've never witnessed a severe skate cut, and hopefully won't evet have to.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
I definitely agree with you 100% in theory. My take on that though is- I liken the chance of getting your throat slashed open by a skate while playing hockey to that of getting attacked by a shark, struck by lightning, or on the bright side, winning 500 million dollars. Can they all happen? Absolutely. However, the likelihood is next to zero.
Like I said, I do agree with you. A neck guard is an extremely accessible piece of equipment for any player. Even though 99% of rec leaguers don't use them(I don't). As I said, I think it's a percentage game. I still swim in the ocean, still might go out/travel in a storm, and play the lottery once in awhile. I've seen guys lose tooth, take sticks to the eye, and have had both happen to myself(luckily I was wearing a cage). Thankfully, I've never witnessed a severe skate cut, and hopefully won't evet have to.

I agree with both of you. I agree that the throat guard is cheap and easy to get/wear, but I also agree that the risk you're protecting against is a very small percentage chance. Personally I wear one, as while it is a very unlikely thing to happen if it does you're a goner, and as a father and single income provider for my family, I think of them. I didn't wear one when I started playing last year (because I didn't think of it, and no one else was), but during one game I fell down in the crease, and saw a guys skate right in front of my face. It opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY

That rarely happens. You also have to remember that when it happens in pro hockey those skates are sharpened before the game, possibly before the period. Beer leaguers don't have that luxury. They are also not checking, so in my opinion the chances of a throat getting slashed is negligible.

Valorn83

Jul 21, 2014
Eugene, Oregon
I think I've played in too many sports with some sort of helmet so weight and vision have never bothered me. As such I use a cage. I have also been hit by sticks and pucks a few times and there is no way I would change.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Wearing a titanium reakt cage. Its brilliant. So light i dont even know its there.

Was wearing a visor up until January when i had a tooth partially knocked out. Had to get it removed and a fake one put into place which took 6 visits to the dentist and oral surgeon. A nightmare especially getting shocked by the electric scalpel.

Its all cool and whatnot having a fake tooth but 1) 6 visits to the dentist with needles into the roof of my mouth plus the gums really sucks. 2) dental doesnt cover contact sports so paying $1500+ for that joy really sucks.

I will never understand people who dont bother even wearing a visor. Your eyes are a whole different ball game.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I recently went from cage to nothing just to see how it was. I had a monster of a game but took a stick to just below the bottom lip and needed two stitches bc of the location and a beard. Butterfly stitches wouldn't close it. Grabbed another couple of apples after getting the bleeding to slow down.

I went back to cage for a game and then a few skates without it. I eventually want to get a visor to protect my vision but it seems like a crap shoot when you'll take a stick to the mouth. Some of the random puck deflections seem easier to prevent with a glove over the face when blocking a shot or going into a chop puck.

As of now I work an office job but have plenty of insurance so that isn't a concern.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Due to swapping shells before subbing in a game last night on a night I normally don't play, I left my mouth guard at home because it was in the shell I took out and I didn't check for it before leaving. Used my cage helmet in war ups before (uncomfortably) swapping back to just the bucket for the game. One close call I actually gloved away (stick checks getting too high on a rush), but no worse.

I definitely need to wear the mouth guard and have plans to go visor.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I play in C- League. There are some higher level players B maybe even A level players that play in it. A lot of these of these guys don't wear cages. They are controlled players unlike some of the C-League players who will throw the errant high stick. I got hit so hard in the cage by a high stick my jaw hurt for a day. My jaw would have gotten broken if I didn't wear a cage. I high sticked a guy in the face by accident that didn't have a cage or visor.

Players are wild at the lower levels. Unless you are a pro I don't see the point in playing with barely improved vision and risk permanent vision loss, loss teeth, broken jaw, lacerations and so on.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I have the Avision Pro X Visor, it's very, very good and doesn't fog at all. Great choice for a good cost.

However, I wear a full bubble for beer league ice hockey from the same company. I have the Avision Pro X half visor for casual pickup hockey outdoors and shiny, but decided to go full face protection for indoor/league hockey after a few close calls. http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/
I wear the clear older model; I'd like to try the new Elite mask as well.

I've never tried a cage. Yet.

Funny story about my gear and bubble: a week ago about 20ish 15-year-old kids watched my team practice, I was wearing my bubble and a Ottawa Senators #15 Heatley jersey. My buddie's wife said anytime I got the puck, the kids cheered me on like crazy I didn't notice it that much at first as I was super tired. As we went to the locker room all the little kids were complementing my bubble and jersey, "All-star, Heater, Dany Boy, nice bubble!" That was a pretty cool feeling and one my teammates thought was pretty funny.

Enjoy your new visor, it has served me well and I'll use it on my second helmet outside of beer league.

Interesting. I think I'm gonna look into buying that. Looks like a mix between a football helmet and a cage.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
I took a stick to the face last night which surely would have required a trip to the hospital had I not been wearing my cage.

I cannot understand amateur players who wear half shields.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad