Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
"Vine out" "cager"

Lol these guys are always good for a laugh when they come through the shop. :lol: :lol:
Haha never change guys.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
once you go visor, there's no going back.

I've heard this or similar line many times (in this thread and elsewhere) and I just had to say it wasn't true for me. I wear a full cage when playing, but for reffing I have to wear a visor. I prefer the cage, the visor bugs me.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I've heard this or similar line many times (in this thread and elsewhere) and I just had to say it wasn't true for me. I wear a full cage when playing, but for reffing I have to wear a visor. I prefer the cage, the visor bugs me.

the issue i see is you're doing two completely opposite activities. try playing full hockey with a visor for a more direct comparotion

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Same with me. I wore a visor for a while. Then I grew up and realized that the risk was totally unwarranted. It took a while to get used to a cage but now that I'm used to it, I feel naked with a visor and I know I'd probably regret it eventually. If you think a cage affects your performance, maybe you should work on your game?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
I've been wearing a visor for the last 3 years since I started playing. Got my nose broke a few days ago playing basketball. Going to be switching over to a cage for hockey now. Not worth the cost or missing teeth.

Monstar Jay*

I have a life, so I wear a cage.

More like your barely scraping by trying to take care of your family and don't have much money and having to pay for teeth would bankrupt you causing your girlfriend/wife to leave you and find a man like me who could pay for new teeth and to take your girl to all the fancy places till I get bored of her and send her back.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
More like your barely scraping by trying to take care of your family and don't have much money and having to pay for teeth would bankrupt you causing your girlfriend/wife to leave you and find a man like me who could pay for new teeth and to take your girl to all the fancy places till I get bored of her and send her back.

Dental work is unpleasant even if affordable and losing teeth hurts.

I wear a visor because I'm a referee, though.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
There's a few girls in Taiwan who play visors. There's even one girl who plays without any facial protection.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
There's a few girls in Taiwan who play visors. There's even one girl who plays without any facial protection.

I know of a few women who play without cages but we're the exception to the rule. Myself it's just a visor because I only own one helmet and I have to have a visor to be a referee. Before visors were required for referees I was open as a ref and put a cage on as a player.

The two (literally two) women I know who play without a cage, play without a visor too. One of them is a referee I sometimes work with and obviously she has a visor for being a ref, but she takes it off to play.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas

I'm Old School. Thirty-five years officiating, I never wore a helmet or visor. Actually, I wore minimum protection. I did receive some stitches above my eye when a goalie swung his stick when I was breaking up an altercation and then some more stitches in another game when I caught a wayward stick to the side of my head. The only other injury to my head was when I caught a puck to my temple and the Dr. told me that I had a mild concussion. I did catch a puck to my jaw, but unless I was wearing a cage, there was no chance of preventing it.

Would I wear a helmet and face protection today? Probably, I'm seventy-five and wear tri focals.

Analyzer*

I haven't signed up for a league, but when I went out to play with some co-workers in doors I just had the helmet. No hard shots, or anything since some of us weren't in full equipment.

The worst is when you just go to a random rink. You get the hot shots and the ****ing idiots who can't skate. One tool fell and swung is stick and got me right in the head. **** hurts and it's dangerous. I knew him, so I told him not to come out again until he learns how to skate and stop. He flies around and pretty much hits people to stop himself.

Should be a basic requirement to know how to skate and stop otherwise stay off the ice when there's a large group of people.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'm Old School. Thirty-five years officiating, I never wore a helmet or visor. Actually, I wore minimum protection. I did receive some stitches above my eye when a goalie swung his stick when I was breaking up an altercation and then some more stitches in another game when I caught a wayward stick to the side of my head. The only other injury to my head was when I caught a puck to my temple and the Dr. told me that I had a mild concussion. I did catch a puck to my jaw, but unless I was wearing a cage, there was no chance of preventing it.

Would I wear a helmet and face protection today? Probably, I'm seventy-five and wear tri focals.

In the USA we don't have a choice anymore. I'd actually ditch the visor if it weren't required. It's my third year as a referee and in my first year (12-13) visors weren't required. I didn't wear one. Obviously, helmets were.

Monstar Jay*

Dental work is unpleasant even if affordable and losing teeth hurts.

That is true and honestly I don't care if you do or don't wear a cage. What I do care about is when someone posts about wearing a cage because "they have a life" "I wear a cage because I'm not a moron". Like they actually think what kind of face protection they use makes them better then someone else. Just makes me think they don't have much to be proud of in their life other then wearing a certain type of helmet.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
to me it's really no big deal if you wear a cage, visor, or nothing at all. it's all just personal preference or a reaction to an injury or pre-existing condition. wearing a cage doesn't make you a wimp much like not wearing anything doesn't make you a bigger man

the only thing in regards to this issue that i have had problems with in the past is when people wearing cages/fishbowls purposely try to start something with someone who wears nothing or a visor. that's a big no-no if you ask me

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
All I know is that I have too much of a life to waste time in an ER, or in a dentist's chair for reconstructing my teeth. I just have better things to do than wait around while I'm being fixed up. That's how I feel. If you don't feel the same way, well it's your life.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That is true and honestly I don't care if you do or don't wear a cage. What I do care about is when someone posts about wearing a cage because "they have a life" "I wear a cage because I'm not a moron". Like they actually think what kind of face protection they use makes them better then someone else. Just makes me think they don't have much to be proud of in their life other then wearing a certain type of helmet.

Admittedly my post was tongue in cheek shot at your earlier posts. You seemed to be the one taking pride in your choice of (no) facial protection. That sort of perspective just makes me think that person has so little going on in their life that they would actually take pride in having their teeth knocked out.

I can understand why an NHL player, somebody making millions of dollars to play, would take that risk, but when amateurs do it it usually is just because they want to look cool (or as you put it "like Patty Kane"). Pretending you are an NHL star is for children and risking severe injury in order to look like an NHL star is for idiots.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Admittedly my post was tongue in cheek shot at your earlier posts. You seemed to be the one taking pride in your choice of (no) facial protection. That sort of perspective just makes me think that person has so little going on in their life that they would actually take pride in having their teeth knocked out.

I can understand why an NHL player, somebody making millions of dollars to play, would take that risk, but when amateurs do it it usually is just because they want to look cool (or as you put it "like Patty Kane"). Pretending you are an NHL star is for children and risking severe injury in order to look like an NHL star is for idiots.

Actually, NHL players are not even allowed to wear cages unless they have a medical waiver to temporarily protect a facial injury.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Actually, NHL players are not even allowed to wear cages unless they have a medical waiver to temporarily protect a facial injury.

With respect to NHL'ers taking risks I was just talking about facial protection in general (though I guess no-visor isn't really an option anymore).

I took the cage off for a few years and played with nothing but the lid mostly just to see what it's like, and it was always fairly casual shinny. I put it back on as soon as I re joined a proper league though. Too Many idiots. Sticks flailing, rising point shots....if I were making some money at it I might be a little more concerned with my peripheral vision while on the ice, but as it stands, I'm not losing any teeth for this level of hockey.

Last edited:

Monstar Jay*

"Risking severe Injury" hockey is a dangerous sport Even with a full cage your still risking severe injury so with your logic anyone who isn't pro who plays hockey is an idiot. Hell anyone who drives who isn't a race car driver is an idiot. Do you know how severely injured you can get in a car??

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Playing without anything is just stupid until you get to a high level. Case in point, was at a stick time with random people and a guy brought his buddy to teach him the basics. Well, the guy, a rec league player, was only in a plain helmet. His buddy accidentally got his stick up high and cut the guy's nose open a bit. He left the ice and found a helmet with a cage before returning!

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
"Risking severe Injury" hockey is a dangerous sport Even with a full cage your still risking severe injury so with your logic anyone who isn't pro who plays hockey is an idiot. Hell anyone who drives who isn't a race car driver is an idiot. Do you know how severely injured you can get in a car??

Don't wear seatbelts then.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

That's a poor argument that keeps showing itself in these kinds of threads. There are certain risks in playing hockey that are unavoidable. If you enjoy playing hockey, you have to assume those risks. That applies to everything in life. But certain risks are easily avoidable at little cost as by wearing a cage. Obviously, it's up to you to decide if the negligible benefits of wearing a visor outweigh its potential grave consequences. To me that choice is very easy. I'll take the necessary risks to enjoy life, but not the ones that I consider totally unnecessary.

Most people would say that the benefits of driving a car outweigh the risks. It's all a matter of benefit vs risk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->