Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
thats an old pic. its a little different now. in that pic its a Mesa Roadster, and its just sitting on top of an old Fender modelling amp simply cos i didnt have any amp stands at that point. hahah!

the guitars are a PRS Custom 22, and Epi LP Black Beauty and a PRS SE Cutaway.

i dont remember exactly the pedals i had at that point, but i had the amps footswitch, tuner, a Morley Mark Tremonti switchless wah, Boss Chorus, Flange, Delay, a Phase 90, and maybe a EQ and Compression at that point. Now i do more bedroom recording in my apartment, so the amps a bit too loud :) laltely ive been using Guitar Rig 4 for my cabs and effects and downloaded a few extra amp sims off the net. it gets the job done.... do you play? whatcha got?

i love how this went from face protection to guitar rigs... :yo::yo::yo: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm using a bugera visor myself

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I took a stick to the face last night which surely would have required a trip to the hospital had I not been wearing my cage.

I cannot understand amateur players who wear half shields.

Combination of laziness and financial reasons for me. I'm a referee in addition to playing. I only own one helmet. Ideally I'd buy a 2nd helmet and wear a cage on it and just leave the visor on my black helmet for officiating, but I'm both too broke to buy a second helmet + cage, and too lazy to swap between the visor and cage between games.

arizona beamer*

coaching I wear nothing, but as a player I wore a full cage. Had multiple jaw injuries in fights and eventually needed the protection. My visor days were literally only a few days.

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
Combination of laziness and financial reasons for me. I'm a referee in addition to playing. I only own one helmet. Ideally I'd buy a 2nd helmet and wear a cage on it and just leave the visor on my black helmet for officiating, but I'm both too broke to buy a second helmet + cage, and too lazy to swap between the visor and cage between games.

This. I'm just getting into officiating, and I wear a cage when I play. I want to keep wearing a cage when I play, but debating whether it's worth the expense of a second helmet, or if I can deal with switching between cage and visor at least once a week.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Interesting. I think I'm gonna look into buying that. Looks like a mix between a football helmet and a cage.

Like I said, I have the older model in clear and so far I've really enjoyed using it. It's pretty much the vision of a regular half visor with the full protection of a cage. I haven't noticed any fogging, a little condensation when splashing water on it, but that's kind of expected when you do that lol.

Some guys say the downfall of a bubble like this is fogging or heat. I don't ever notice fog at all, and although a cage would be a little cooler (negligible difference at best) I never fell like I'm overheating anymore really than playing with a half visor.

The design itself has pretty good ventilation for a full bubble (better than the Bauer model from the looks of it). Sometimes on the bench I'll unhinge the straps and open up the bubble for some Gatorade and I'll notice It's a lil cooler, but so far it's been a great product so far and more than meet my expectations.

It's my first year on an ice hockey team and in 6 games I've already got 5 goals and 2 assists! The bars on a cage would have distracted me to the point I'm sure I wouldn't have put up those kinds of numbers.

I'm really picky about all of my gear and I can say playing in a full bubble for me gives me the protection and confidence to block shots like a cage, while offering the clear vision of a half visor to see the whole ice; you really can't ask for more than that :)

P.S. If you order via the website, mention to them that a guy from Winnipeg told you about them. I've talked with the owner when I ordered mine, he's a nice but stern guy who I can tell really has a passion for hockey.

cheers :cheers:

ekm01

Sep 24, 2014
not about visor/cage etc, but about helmet, but do you guys leave the plastic ear guards in or take them out? (example of in is Crosby, Kane, Malkin, and example of taking them out, pretty much everyone else in the league).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not about visor/cage etc, but about helmet, but do you guys leave the plastic ear guards in or take them out? (example of in is Crosby, Kane, Malkin, and example of taking them out, pretty much everyone else in the league).

always take them out

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

On my old Jofa helmet, I took them out because they chafed my ears. On my RBK 8K helmet, they didn't bother me, and now on my Easton E700, they don't either so I left them in. If they don't bother you, there's no point in removing them. You won't hear any better without them, and you'll get added protection with them.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I never had a hard time hearing with them in, I keep them in because they are there for a very obvious reason. I think most NHL players remove them is more for style than anything else. If guys like the ones you've mentioned have them in and still are performing, I'm pretty sure there is no real discernible difference in terms of hearing levels.

I saw Johnathon Toews take one off the ear last season, it was pretty bloody and unnecessary IMO. Keep them on or regret it if you ever take a puck or stick there and risk injury for no real reason.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
I never had a hard time hearing with them in, I keep them in because they are there for a very obvious reason. I think most NHL players remove them is more for style than anything else. If guys like the ones you've mentioned have them in and still are performing, I'm pretty sure there is no real discernible difference in terms of hearing levels.

I saw Johnathon Toews take one off the ear last season, it was pretty bloody and unnecessary IMO. Keep them on or regret it if you ever take a puck or stick there and risk injury for no real reason.

well i do notice i can hear slightly better, i took mine out because they rubbed on my ears weird and chaffed the hell out of them

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Am I the only one who constantly runs into problems installing visors? Every single time. It's probably me being too careful with the visor, but its annoying. Takes me at least 30 minutes.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Am I the only one who constantly runs into problems installing visors? Every single time. It's probably me being too careful with the visor, but its annoying. Takes me at least 30 minutes.

I used to be that way at first, now I can do it in mere minutes without much fuss or risking any damage to the visor or helmet. Why would you be installing them all the time anyways? Do you have one helmet that you use differently? I have two helmets now, one with a full bubble for men's league ice hockey, and one with a half visor for casual ice hockey practices, outdoor shiny, sponge hockey, and ball hockey.

I went out once lately with my full bubble taken off of my ice hockey helmet, it was two screws and that's it. However, I felt uncomfortable with just a helmet on. I prefer going half visor vs a full bubble or just a helmet, but I'll always have full face protection for league play and even a half visor for casual play. I feel too exposed with out some form of protection; I'm not going to risk losing an eye for hockey ever.

My cousin on my team plays with just a helmet, guess where a high stick caught him... right where a visor would have been on the bridge of his nose. The messed up thing is that he still refuses to wear a visor, bubble, or cage. One inch to the left or right it would have been his eye! Some people are just to stubborn I guess.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
I used to be that way at first, now I can do it in mere minutes without much fuss or risking any damage to the visor or helmet. Why would you be installing them all the time anyways? Do you have one helmet that you use differently? I have two helmets now, one with a full bubble for men's league ice hockey, and one with a half visor for casual ice hockey practices, outdoor shiny, sponge hockey, and ball hockey.

I went out once lately with my full bubble taken off of my ice hockey helmet, it was two screws and that's it. However, I felt uncomfortable with just a helmet on. I prefer going half visor vs a full bubble or just a helmet, but I'll always have full face protection for league play and even a half visor for casual play. I feel too exposed with out some form of protection; I'm not going to risk losing an eye for hockey ever.

My cousin on my team plays with just a helmet, guess where a high stick caught him... right where a visor would have been on the bridge of his nose. The messed up thing is that he still refuses to wear a visor, bubble, or cage. One inch to the left or right it would have been his eye! Some people are just to stubborn I guess.

Well, to be fair "every single time" is only about five times. I was installing it yesterday so it reminded me of every time before that.

Weird thing though, when i decided to switch from a cage to a visor, I thought about it for a bit and weighed the pro's and cons, and would never ever wear just a helmet and no protection. But yet, on the outdoor rinks all last winter I went out with no helmet or equipment just like everyone else. I must have went out 30 times and didn't even think twice, had some intense games with lots of other skilled players too. Nobody else wore a helmet unless it was an older person learning to skate or small kids.

I know people are more careful at the ODR's, but it's still hockey and I'm still skating just as fast, probably faster because once my equipment comes off I'm like a figure skater, with it not so much. Less agile for sure.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well, to be fair "every single time" is only about five times. I was installing it yesterday so it reminded me of every time before that.

Weird thing though, when i decided to switch from a cage to a visor, I thought about it for a bit and weighed the pro's and cons, and would never ever wear just a helmet and no protection. But yet, on the outdoor rinks all last winter I went out with no helmet or equipment just like everyone else. I must have went out 30 times and didn't even think twice, had some intense games with lots of other skilled players too. Nobody else wore a helmet unless it was an older person learning to skate or small kids.

I know people are more careful at the ODR's, but it's still hockey and I'm still skating just as fast, probably faster because once my equipment comes off I'm like a figure skater, with it not so much. Less agile for sure.

Outdoor rink games here in Canada tend to be very tame compared to indoor league games. Guys are not winding up and "clapin' rip bombs" (slap shots) or taking high wrist shots. People are aware most guys are not wearing much or any protective gear. It's very unlikely to get hurt from pucks or sticks, but it is still possible I guess however rare. I still wear a helmet and visor even though I'll skate all-out, I don't want to hit my head on the boards in case I lose control or get tripped. The visor also helps keep the wind out of my eyes while obviously protecting against pucks and sticks, I see no reason to take it off.

Yeah, with full gear on there is no question that a player loses speed and agility. I usually only wear a helmet/visor and a cup when outdoors, however I've taken one off the shin a couple years ago which required stitches, I might wear shin guards in the future.

When I go to a stick and puck open ice session at my local indoor rink, I usually wear my Bauer base layer (with some padding on key areas), a cup, helmet/visor, and elbow pads. I don't usually wear shoulders, pants, shins, etc. I go with less gear so I can work on exercising flat-out for longer since it's only 1 hour on the ice. I gotta start lifting weights again soon so my gear will feel lighter in actual games. My cardio is covered by going skating on my own 1-2 times a week and playing indoor ultimate Frisbee or soccer.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Just turned 18 and will play German beer league instead of Canadian Midget, so it's my first year being able to switch to a visor or nothing. However, I won't. I don't understand people who do on that level. I'd prefer a full visor over the cage, but it's not important enough for me to spend the amount of money that it'd require.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
bauer pro clips for me

Same here love it. My league is pretty clean, I've played some really rough pick-up times though (guys who didn't play in leagues, some real heroes), where I wish I had a cage on. When you get on the ice & you see 5 Darcy Tucker jersey's, you know it's going to be a tough night.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i have big ears and used to have sick flow, so for those reasons i always took them out so it didnt rub the piss out of my ears and so my lettuce could vine out of the bucket. I still take them out because its the only way ive ever played.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
In my last 4 years playing in a beer league (where visors are possible), I have seen 5 guys taking slapshots right to the face. Once by my slapshot (deflection). One of my teammate lost 7 or 8 teeth because of this kind of accident. I will never wear visors, I'll keep my cage, thanks.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
In my last 4 years playing in a beer league (where visors are possible), I have seen 5 guys taking slapshots right to the face. Once by my slapshot (deflection). One of my teammate lost 7 or 8 teeth because of this kind of accident. I will never wear visors, I'll keep my cage, thanks.

Yeap, as much I always get tempted to wear my half visor, I just don't think it's worth it in my low level beer league to switch from my full fishbowl/bubble. I think a full cage or full bubble/fishbowl is the way to go when there are players with decent shots, random deflections, and sticks flailing all over the place.

Last year I saw two players take a puck to the eye on two different teams from deflections, another guy took one off the face, and one guy had a puck hit his visor (he was fine). Things happen quite a bit more than you'd think.

One my team the majority of the guys have cages, full bubbles/fishbowls, half or 3/4 visors, and then there are a couple of players who only wear a helmet. Of the players wearing only a helmet, one has already taken a high stick off the nose where even a half visor would have saved him from a nice cut. Luckily, it wasn't that bad of a cut, but at the same time it wasn't that far from his eye! But still, he refuses to put anything on... I guess some people never learn.

Monstar Jay*

I wear a visor and only because it looks cooler then no visor.
Both times iv lost teeth iv healed fine and I'm in canada and don't pay dental.
I love the blood stain on my gloves.
I love how I look like patty kane.
Pain is temporary being a cager is forever.

Also how are you suppose to fight with a cage on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Monstar Jay*

and then there are a couple of players who only wear a helmet. Of the players wearing only a helmet, one has already taken a high stick off the nose where even a half visor would have saved him from a nice cut. Luckily, it wasn't that bad of a cut, but at the same time it wasn't that far from his eye! But still, he refuses to put anything on... I guess some people never learn.

Actually when reading this it appears that he learnt that a slash to the nose leaving a cut is part of the game and also is not that bad and is no reason to put on a cage.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I wear a visor and only because it looks cooler then no visor.
Both times iv lost teeth iv healed fine and I'm in canada and don't pay dental.
I love the blood stain on my gloves.
I love how I look like patty kane.
Pain is temporary being a cager is forever.

Also how are you suppose to fight with a cage on?
this post wins
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i've tried many times to get used to a cage and i just can't do it. i've tried fishbowls too and the heat was just unbearable in that thing. once you go visor, there's no going back. plus if there's one part of your face you want to protect the most it's your eyes. i'll never play without a visor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad