Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Monstar Jay*

No, those things would be windshield, bumpers and airbags.

A seat belt would obviously be put in that group. Not wearing a visor would be like having your windows open, there's a chance something could get in and hit you or if you flipped the car maybe your arm would go out and get crushed, so it's risky but in no way as bad as not wearing a seat belt.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
A seat belt would obviously be put in that group. Not wearing a visor would be like having your windows open, there's a chance something could get in and hit you or if you flipped the car maybe your arm would go out and get crushed, so it's risky but in no way as bad as not wearing a seat belt.

Not wearing a visor is like not having a windshield. It doesn't get any more obvious than that. :laugh:

jesaku

Nov 2, 2004
I wear a visor and only because it looks cooler then no visor.
Both times iv lost teeth iv healed fine and I'm in canada and don't pay dental.
I love the blood stain on my gloves.
I love how I look like patty kane.
Pain is temporary being a cager is forever.

Also how are you suppose to fight with a cage on?

Canadian Medicare does not cover dental.
Some of us don't have our moms to pay whenever there's an injury.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
It's not called Medicare in Canada but no dental is not covered in any way except emergency surgery performed in the ER

Monstar Jay*

Not wearing a visor is like not having a windshield. It doesn't get any more obvious than that. :laugh:

That is completely untrue for so many reasons your not aloud to drive without a windshield but you are aloud to play without a cage. 100% of drivers have wind shields 50% of hockey players use a visor,
It's obvious a wind shield goes into the same groups as the Main protection such as helmet,shoulder pads, shin pads.:p:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
That is completely untrue for so many reasons your not aloud to drive without a windshield but you are aloud to play without a cage. 100% of drivers have wind shields 50% of hockey players use a visor,
It's obvious a wind shield goes into the same groups as the Main protection such as helmet,shoulder pads, shin pads.:p:

Not entirely true. I keep pretty much to myself when I drive with a windshield, but I can be very boisterous when playing with a cage.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I play with a visor tilted up. After high school I took my cage off after my last game, I hated it. I went open face for 3 years but couldn't play that much except yearly alumni games and drop ins during college breaks because I was working while in college. After I graduated I joined my recs adult league and continued for a half a year until I was told I at least needed a visor. I loved open face and was pretty mad so I put it on and tilted it as high as I could.
I have played like that for 2 years now. Just 2 weeks ago I got hit, with a shot that got deflected, right under my right eye. I played the rest of the game and supported a shiner that got some laughs at work and in the bars. Everyone asked me why I didn't have better pertection but I believe its my body and I enjoy the better visibility but I am also willing to except a possible repercussion of my choice.
I will say though that I am comfortable with my helmet setup because I do play with a bunch of good dudes. I am not talking skills wise either. We all understand we all have to go to work so we all keep our shots and stick low. I play defense and there's plenty of times I wanna step into the slot and clap one high but I don't because I don't wanna hurt my fellow hockey pales.
Kind of stupid to dog on someone for there choice of personal pertection because it is there choice. Everyone's situations different but I will say this if you are gonna dog on someone for not wearing a cage, I wanna ask you this question. Do you also wear a neck guard? If not your kind of a hypocrite because your running a risk of getting your throat slit by a skate which is much worse than a puck to the teeth.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Well, I guess it depends on where you live then.

Having your windows open on a highway in China is probably much more dangerous than not fastening your seat belts.

badKarma

Dec 9, 2014
Madison, WI/D.C./Mia
Im new to the ice, making a transition from inline hockey...I plan on just playing local pick-up pond hockey and going to stick and puck sessions. During regular weekly pick up pond hockey (non-tournament) almost no one wears a helmet...so my choices are between no helmet and a beanie or knit cap OR helmet and visor w/ mouthpiece...I understand the visor is not giving me the 100% protection like a cage, but a helmet and visor is better than nothing, even if I am the only one with it...what is the general consensus for pond hockey? Helmet and visor or nothing?

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Im new to the ice, making a transition from inline hockey...I plan on just playing local pick-up pond hockey and going to stick and puck sessions. During regular weekly pick up pond hockey (non-tournament) almost no one wears a helmet...so my choices are between no helmet and a beanie or knit cap OR helmet and visor w/ mouthpiece...I understand the visor is not giving me the 100% protection like a cage, but a helmet and visor is better than nothing, even if I am the only one with it...what is the general consensus for pond hockey? Helmet and visor or nothing?

Can you fall and crack your head open in pond hockey? If the answer is yes.. then AT LEAST wear a helmet.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

It depends on how good your skating is.

If you're new to ice, I'd advise wearing a lid rather than a toque.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio

If your new to ice then I would suggest a helmet with cage. At least wear a lid though, being new it would be easy to fall and hit your head because not like seasoned players you might not know how to protect yourself good falling.

aguynamedjoe

May 27, 2013
Chicago
Not sure if this should be a new topic or not, but this seemed appropriate.

I just got back into hockey over the past few years and am still using my old cage (when I say old, take a look at the mask on Dominik Hasek circa 1999). It's solid as a rock, so I have no qualms at all about its safety (which is why I use it - coupled with the fact I'm cheap). It's heavy, and I'd like to get something lighter, but what I'm more curious about is if any of you have gone from one cage to another and noticed a significant difference in visibility. I'm definitely sticking with a cage (for protection purposes) but wondering if the upgrade to a newer model would provide any noticeable difference beyond the weight? Or should I just stick with what I've got until it starts noticeably rusting?

As an added side-note, as far as my skill level - I'm only just now getting to the point that I'm starting to try to keep my head up and not stare at the puck when it's on my stick, so I'm just getting to the point that I'm questioning the difference in peripheral vision

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
Not sure if this should be a new topic or not, but this seemed appropriate.

I just got back into hockey over the past few years and am still using my old cage (when I say old, take a look at the mask on Dominik Hasek circa 1999). It's solid as a rock, so I have no qualms at all about its safety (which is why I use it - coupled with the fact I'm cheap). It's heavy, and I'd like to get something lighter, but what I'm more curious about is if any of you have gone from one cage to another and noticed a significant difference in visibility. I'm definitely sticking with a cage (for protection purposes) but wondering if the upgrade to a newer model would provide any noticeable difference beyond the weight? Or should I just stick with what I've got until it starts noticeably rusting?

As an added side-note, as far as my skill level - I'm only just now getting to the point that I'm starting to try to keep my head up and not stare at the puck when it's on my stick, so I'm just getting to the point that I'm questioning the difference in peripheral vision

I used an Easton S13 several years ago. Sold it and got a Bauer reakt. Both the helmet and cage is noticeably lighter and has good vision. The cage a bit pricey though at $70.00.

aguynamedjoe

May 27, 2013
Chicago
I used an Easton S13 several years ago. Sold it and got a Bauer reakt. Both the helmet and cage is noticeably lighter and has good vision. The cage a bit pricey though at $70.00.

Funny you say that, the reakt was the one I was looking at (because it's so much lighter) and I thought I noticed that one on you when we were facing off :)

Do you remember noticing a difference in the vision when you switched over?

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
Funny you say that, the reakt was the one I was looking at (because it's so much lighter) and I thought I noticed that one on you when we were facing off :)

Do you remember noticing a difference in the vision when you switched over?

HA! I'm glad I'm not the only guy that checks out people's gear during games. :)

Yeah, coming from the S13, there's a huge difference in the vision. It's a great cage.

aguynamedjoe

May 27, 2013
Chicago
HA! I'm glad I'm not the only guy that checks out people's gear during games. :)

Yeah, coming from the S13, there's a huge difference in the vision. It's a great cage.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.

(likely you'll be able to chirp something about being a copycat next game...)

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I've been wondering one thing for a while now and even though it has been discussed before, I am not sure what the answer is. Why does hardly anyone use a full visor? I've heard people would get chirped at for wearing one. But WHY? It just doesn't make sense to me. I've never worn one but I'd think you'd have a much better vision. It also looks better than a cage IMO. And yet, it doesn't seem to be popular at all. I could see them fogging up more than regular visors because you breathe right into them, but with the holes at the bottom and some anti fog spray, that shouldn't really be an issue either.

David Backes wore one lately but that's also the first time I've seen it on an NHL player. Most NHLers use full cages, too, if they have facial injuries.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I've been wondering one thing for a while now and even though it has been discussed before, I am not sure what the answer is. Why does hardly anyone use a full visor? I've heard people would get chirped at for wearing one. But WHY? It just doesn't make sense to me. I've never worn one but I'd think you'd have a much better vision. It also looks better than a cage IMO. And yet, it doesn't seem to be popular at all. I could see them fogging up more than regular visors because you breathe right into them, but with the holes at the bottom and some anti fog spray, that shouldn't really be an issue either.

David Backes wore one lately but that's also the first time I've seen it on an NHL player. Most NHLers use full cages, too, if they have facial injuries.

Simple. Because some people are morons.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I looked at getting one but was told between scratching and fogging they sucked.

I use a visor for casual games and shiny once in awhile. However, for beer league I wear the fill bubble/shield. I wear this brand, in clear, and it's stood up pretty well in my indoor games fairly well. http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/

The vision is amazing, I use a basic anti-fog spray when it gets dirty between games, but even without it it usually doesn't fog up. I can't say enough how awesome the vision is ;)

I find that I usually run hot in the head, so I actually modified my shield with some strategic holes with a drill (about the size of a hole punch). I'll post a picture later to display.

I also wear the best ventilated helmet you can buy (Mission Inhaler), but not matter what I always run hot in the head. Sometimes between shifts I take off my helmet and spray my head down with water, I do this for outdoor soccer or Ultimate so it's become a habit of mine.

If you run hot, a cage might be better but I just enjoy the clarity of the bubble for seeing plays better. Even wearing a cage, in a helmet I'd still take it off after a few shifts to cool down with some water. After that, I feel like I'm a good 5-8 degrees cooler so I go hard as **** on my next shift.

Pictures up later to show how I modified my bubble. I also took my ear guards out of my helmet so I can hear better; it's been one game but I can notice a difference in hearing better and probably a little cooler near the ears. I think once I get a shorter haircut, that will make a big difference too.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
Awesome, thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.

(likely you'll be able to chirp something about being a copycat next game...)

My captain is experimenting and I'll be playing D for a while, so we may not be facing off against each other for a while. :( But feel free to poke me between periods or afterwards or something :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->