Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
what kind of face protection do you wear? any? did you start wearing it after an injury, or is it preventative?

what kind of visor do you have? straight? curved? tinted or clear?

do you wear yours down, so it actually PROTECTS you, or wear it tilted up like its a fashion statement?

im a visor kind of guy. i had a clear, curved oakley, but it cracked. ordered a straight, clear visor from hockeymonkey, but they were out. i needed it soon, and all thay had was tinted so i took it and i really like it. i was worried about gettign chirped at a bit because of it, seeing how i only play in a mens league, but after i scored a few, i guess they let me off the hook :nod:

what do you guys wear and why?

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Bauer 9500 cage because I don't get paid to play hockey.

What's in your rig? I see a Mesa and was looks like a PRS and a couple LP's. Maybe a CH-1 and DS-1 on the board? Avatar cab?

thats an old pic. its a little different now. in that pic its a Mesa Roadster, and its just sitting on top of an old Fender modelling amp simply cos i didnt have any amp stands at that point. hahah!

the guitars are a PRS Custom 22, and Epi LP Black Beauty and a PRS SE Cutaway.

i dont remember exactly the pedals i had at that point, but i had the amps footswitch, tuner, a Morley Mark Tremonti switchless wah, Boss Chorus, Flange, Delay, a Phase 90, and maybe a EQ and Compression at that point. Now i do more bedroom recording in my apartment, so the amps a bit too loud :) laltely ive been using Guitar Rig 4 for my cabs and effects and downloaded a few extra amp sims off the net. it gets the job done.... do you play? whatcha got?

i love how this went from face protection to guitar rigs... :yo::yo::yo: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
bauer clear straight visor, but seriously considering going back to the cage for first time since high school. guys in adult league scare me. I play C in a league split up as B C C2 D E since i took 5 years away from the game and it is full of guys who aren't quite top tier beer league but game is fast and chippy enough that visor is scary.

definitely with a mouthgaurd

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
what kind of face protection do you wear? any? did you start wearing it after an injury, or is it preventative?

do you wear yours down, so it actually PROTECTS you, or wear it tilted up like its a fashion statement?

im a visor kind of guy. i had a clear, curved oakley, but it cracked. ordered a straight, clear visor from hockeymonkey, but they were out. i needed it soon, and all thay had was tinted so i took it and i really like it. i was worried about gettign chirped at a bit because of it, seeing how i only play in a mens league, but after i scored a few, i guess they let me off the hook :nod:

i have the straight cut itech and i like it, i was a no visor guy until i took a slapshot in the eye. im still anti cage, and i dont mind people who do but i always chirp and cheap shot the guys who wear cages and then play with their sticks high and punch people after the whistle. cage people have no respect and no fear of retribution.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Oakley straight visor (the larger one) worn down so it protects as much as possible. I'm still trying to convert to a cage, but can't seem to get comfortable with it no matter how much I try. Part of my problem is I prefer the lightness of the Easton S19 helmet over my Bauer and the Easton won't take a cage properly.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Same here and found visor too much of a PIA to try and keep clean.
Also a lot easier breathing with a cage.

Yeah I forgot, my visor would fog up like crazy and I tried a fishbowl and airflow sucked. Also, my 9900 cage or whatever it is has better vision than anything I've tried outside of nothing. The peripheral on visors looks funky.

My rig is pretty weak ATM...Musicman into a $100 Fender Mustang :laugh: Although I do have a Danelectro clone of a Timmy that's awesome. I just don't have the cash for anything bigger. Mostly a drummer but I'm a gear whoor for all kinds of things :)

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Yeah I forgot, my visor would fog up like crazy and I tried a fishbowl and airflow sucked. Also, my 9900 cage or whatever it is has better vision than anything I've tried outside of nothing. The peripheral on visors looks funky.

My rig is pretty weak ATM...Musicman into a $100 Fender Mustang :laugh: Although I do have a Danelectro clone of a Timmy that's awesome. I just don't have the cash for anything bigger. Mostly a drummer but I'm a gear whoor for all kinds of things :)

ah... i tried the drums. and i SUKD! the main reason i have the gear that i do is because im in the navy and the bigger things were "welcome home" gifts to myself coming back from a deployment. that and a guitar center was right down the road. :)

as far as the visor, i want some kind of protection. ive tried cages, but the bars were too much of a distraction for me, and i didnt realize how much lighter a helmet was without one. i had a fishbowl for a bit, but yes, the airflow was horrible, and that brings me to the visor... i wear it down to protect my face, and in the league i play in, there arent a large amount of errant sticks and pucks. i dont feel unsafe at all.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Full open. Back as a teen I wore a full Itech, and the very game I put on a half visor I got high-sticked right above the eye. Full mask went back on and over time I'd gotten rid of all of my equipment. When I started up again years later I just bought a lid and didn't get any further protection. I hope I don't regret that someday.

Halifaxhab*

I wear a cage otherwise my insurance from work won't cover me.

And because I wear a cage, I never chirp between whistles from my little birdcage, for fear of being branded a birdcage boy. That and the rough stuff during the play is more fun anyway

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID

Haven't worn anything since juniors (long time ago). Wore a visor in adult leagues for a while but I seemed to get more sticks in the face when I was wearing one than when I wasn't so I took it off. Most guys I play with have played for years and years and keep sticks and pucks down. I quit playing with the hay balers.

P.S. Thanks for your service. Greatly appreciated.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
even with my visor on, ill do a little chirping. why not? i dont take anything too seriously on the ice, cos its not like my beer league will win you a pro contract, but some guys seem to think it will, so ill throw a little shot their way occasionally to keep em in their place. its gotten me into a couple hairy situations, but i'm covered. :) the little birdcage boys are usually the high school kids who only play offense and disappear on D and they talk their ***** off. at least once a game i give them a piece of my mind.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Oakley Straight Visor.

Now if I can only find the time to play pick up games... :shakehead

Kulluminati

Jan 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wear a cage otherwise my insurance from work won't cover me.

And because I wear a cage, I never chirp between whistles from my little birdcage, for fear of being branded a birdcage boy. That and the rough stuff during the play is more fun anyway

LOL haha, I haven't heard that name for people with cages before that's hilarious.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
As a guy that plays with his glasses on, I will never stray from the cage. The half-visor is useless if my glasses get knocked off in the middle of a shift and still leaves me vulnerable to an errand stick. The fishbowl offers almost no breath-ability and just adds another layer to fog up.

I took the cage off for *one* game (opting to go half-visor) and took an errand stick to the mouth, resulting in a root canal. The cage went back on right after that procedure and it's not coming off for as long as I'm playing hockey.

I think I'm also one of the few guys who wears his helmet/cage properly. The chin cup rests on my chin (what a crazy thought, right?) and my helmet is tightened so that it actually protects my head and absorbs some impact if/when I get hit with something.

Then again, I'm a hack that played D/E league before switching to purely pickup. I figure if you're playing B or even C level hockey there's a bit of a stigma around the full cage.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I wonder what league people are playing in where every cage guy is trash talking and cheap shotting? I'd say 95% of guys in my league wear cages and maybe 5% are A-holes.

Yeah I don't know where this rash of tough guys play, but my league is the same. I would say my league is at least 95% cages as well and we all chirp and talke ****, but most of it is left on the ice.

No one in my league purposely tries to hurt anyone with their stick. There is some borderline play and there are a couple dicks, but none of that has to do with the type of facial protection they wear. In fact the one guy in my league that participates in the most stick work is one of the few guys that wears a visor.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
As a guy that plays with his glasses on, I will never stray from the cage. The half-visor is useless if my glasses get knocked off in the middle of a shift and still leaves me vulnerable to an errand stick. The fishbowl offers almost no breath-ability and just adds another layer to fog up.

I took the cage off for *one* game (opting to go half-visor) and took an errand stick to the mouth, resulting in a root canal. The cage went back on right after that procedure and it's not coming off for as long as I'm playing hockey.

I think I'm also one of the few guys who wears his helmet/cage properly. The chin cup rests on my chin (what a crazy thought, right?) and my helmet is tightened so that it actually protects my head and absorbs some impact if/when I get hit with something.

Then again, I'm a hack that played D/E league before switching to purely pickup. I figure if you're playing B or even C level hockey there's a bit of a stigma around the full cage.

I play w/glasses too but never had them knocked crooked even when getting rocked from behind or crashing into someone in the corner.

I know on the whole it sounds ridiculous that I'd not protect them in any way, and I'm not even anti-cage/face shield at all, but for some reason I just play fully open.

As far as the glasses go, next month I'll be having LASIK surgery so that'll be beside the point anyway.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
'Birdcage boy'. That's fkin hilarious. Gotta use that one. Our last game got pretty chippy and one of the so called birdcage boys on the other team went after one of our visor clad defenseman. Birdcage boy wound up getting pounded and his cage was easily slid up to inflict maximum damage. Ugly situation. After watching that, I wouldn't put too much faith in a cage to save me from a beating, or at least, I'd make sure it was mighty snug.

My visor never fogs and it goes below the tip of my nose and I wear it very close, so I don't understand how others have such a problem with fogging. I do sometimes drip sweat down from the top, but it never fogs.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I dunno. I basically skated around with a cloud in front of my eyes and two other guys used them no problem but at least one other guy went from cage to visor back to cage after two games.

I also think they look kinda dumb. Obviously visor looks better than cage but fishbowl looks really weird.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Cage. I dont get paid to play hockey and the last thing I need is to take a stick or puck to the mouth and end up losing a few teeth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad