Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
LA has a million awesome restaurants. What type of food?

Tickets are tickets. There aren't any sweet local deals. Kings tickets are reasonably easy to get. Rams going to depend on the opponent

I just pulled the schedule, this is the link from ESPN for the tickets

As you can see from the prices, the Dallas gameis gonna sell out, the Carolina game should be their target.

Disneyland is INSANELY expensive. There is another amusement park between Anaheim and LA in Buena Park called Knotts Berry Farm that is much much more reasonable.

I think anyone coming to SoCal should see the beach. IMO Huntington Beach is the best beach culture, but it is closer Anaheim and is a drive, but worth it.

they will need a car. the mass transit here is a mess
Adding to you comment.
Knotts is likely better for 13 year old. More roller coaster, but some mellow rides as well. If you go to Knotts look at the food deals. One price for food all day.
Park closes early in October due to Knotts Scary farm

Reactions: Lt Dan

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don’t know where else to post this, but I just had a random thought. Very random.

So I can’t think of any other major city that is more popularly known as its initials than LA. I mean sure, it’s a short cut from the 4 syllables of Los Angeles, but you can say the same about other cities. It just doesn’t have the same ring.

Nobody says SF. It’s San Francisco or San Fran. Or Frisco for outsiders.
Nobody says NY. It’s just New York. Well, that’s the same number of syllables.
Nobody says SD. It’s just San Diego.
Nobody says SA. It’s “San Antone” for short.
Nobody says LV. It’s Vegas.
Nobody says NO. It’s just New Orleans or Nawlins with an accent.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I don’t know where else to post this, but I just had a random thought. Very random.

So I can’t think of any other major city that is more popularly known as its initials than LA. I mean sure, it’s a short cut from the 4 syllables of Los Angeles, but you can say the same about other cities. It just doesn’t have the same ring.

DC

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Everyone says NYC

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
My sister and her son (13) will be heading to LA at the very start of the season, probably for a week. It's a mother/son trip as she does with each of her kids a place of their choosing. Being an intense Doughty fan, they are for sure taking in a Kings game and would love to luck into a Rams game as well. Would welcome any other suggestions anyone may have including, but limited to: other activities, great eating spots, ticket sources. Thanks for any suggestions
Thanks for all the replies so far. They are all booked to go and have got tickets to a Rams game now as well. What is parking like at a Rams game? No issues or is transit/bus system better?
thanks in advance

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Thanks for all the replies so far. They are all booked to go and have got tickets to a Rams game now as well. What is parking like at a Rams game? No issues or is transit/bus system better?
thanks in advance
I haven't been, but I heard it is easy, but expensive AF

LA is never going to have a transit system..lol

As the great philosophers Mission Persons once said

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Going to LA in about a week and will do a small roadtrip. Last day we will go and see the Rams vs the Falcons. How the traffic situation to get to the arena? Is there anything else we need to consider?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Going to LA in about a week and will do a small roadtrip. Last day we will go and see the Rams vs the Falcons. How the traffic situation to get to the arena? Is there anything else we need to consider?
The traffic is going to be a f***ing mess. Depending on where you are staying, the 105 is a much better option than the 405
Parking will be insane

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
The traffic is going to be a f***ing mess. Depending on where you are staying, the 105 is a much better option than the 405
Parking will be insane

We stay in Culver West the night before the game then we stay on a one of the LAX hotels after since we are flying monday. Maybe it's worth to check if we can go there early to park the car and then go to the arena with taxi/uber/public transport?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
We stay in Culver West the night before the game then we stay on a one of the LAX hotels after since we are flying monday. Maybe it's worth to check if we can go there early to park the car and then go to the arena with taxi/uber/public transport?
Yes. Park at hotel and uber/taxi to & from the game. Parking at the game is crazy and SUPER expensive. You'll likely save money paying uber to/from rather than parking fee. You'll also walk less.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Don’t make eye contact with the homeless folks or they WILL throw semen and/or feces at your family. Also, Universal is fun if you’ve never been.

So, LA is the perfect place if you want to get some fertilizing done?

Will skip Universal, does not fit the schedule, but thanks. Was thinking more or smaller things like places to eat or similar.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
It's not my kind of thing (because i hate people, crowds, etc.), but for a touristy spot, you can't go wrong with Santa Monica -- pier and the restaurants/shops all right there. Eating, drinking, people watching, etc.

I prefer the smaller surf towns like HB, Seal Beach, Manhattan beach, etc.

Personally, I'd avoid Hollywood...but i understand people want to say they went once.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Everyone says NYC
Never met one person

NYC was mostly how I remember it being referred to when I was living in Pennsylvania. Distinctly possible that's more of an east coast thing than a global thing like LA is, but NYC meant the city and New York meant the state. Still...you'd hear more people using New York as interchangeable for either far more often than I hear people actually say Los Angeles. LA gets the point across so universally that I always get baffled for a millisecond when seeing a post address in Louisiana.

It's not my kind of thing (because i hate people, crowds, etc.), but for a touristy spot, you can't go wrong with Santa Monica -- pier and the restaurants/shops all right there. Eating, drinking, people watching, etc.

I prefer the smaller surf towns like HB, Seal Beach, Manhattan beach, etc.

Personally, I'd avoid Hollywood...but i understand people want to say they went once.

I always make a point to avoid Hollywood as much as possible when showing LA to someone...though it's a bit hard to do since the first place I usually take people to/suggest is Griffith Observatory. You don't have to be even slightly interested in the observatory or its history to appreciate the views.

I'm also partial to La Brea as an archaeology nerd who used to live right by it, especially if anyone going has interest in going to a museum or two, but the Pier is probably a better suggestion for most people. The biggest problem I have with Santa Monica is just getting there.

So, LA is the perfect place if you want to get some fertilizing done?

Will skip Universal, does not fit the schedule, but thanks. Was thinking more or smaller things like places to eat or similar.

The LA Farmers Market is right by La Brea, fwiw...a gold vein of great food all around there.

Last edited:

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
NYC was mostly how I remember it being referred to when I was living in Pennsylvania. Distinctly possible that's more of an east coast thing than a global thing like LA is, but NYC meant the city and New York meant the state. Still...you'd hear more people using New York as interchangeable for either far more often than I hear people actually say Los Angeles. LA gets the point across so universally that I always get baffled for a millisecond when seeing a post address in Louisiana.

I always make a point to avoid Hollywood as much as possible when showing LA to someone...though it's a bit hard to do since the first place I usually take people to/suggest is Griffith Observatory. You don't have to be even slightly interested in the observatory or its history to appreciate the views.

I'm also partial to La Brea as an archaeology nerd who used to live right by it, especially if anyone going has interest in going to a museum or two, but the Pier is probably a better suggestion for most people. The biggest problem I have with Santa Monica is just getting there.

The LA Farmers Market is right by La Brea, fwiw...a gold vein of great food all around there.

La Brea is a fantastic suggestion. My girlfriend is a big time archeology nerd and for me aswell it's way more fun then to see the walk of fame or anything like that.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Hy, y'all! This may seem early, but I'm a bit of a planner haha.

So, the Canes STM road trip is to LA for the 12/3 game! I'm pretty happy with this, as the Kings are somewhere in my top 5 or 6 (though I'm not sure exactly why haha). Buuuut... LA! I don't know much about it, except BIG! TRAFFIC!

I usually like to visit for 3-4 days leading up to these games, with a sprinkling of tourist stuff, outdoorsy stuff... I'm not a fan of the idea of a car rental (perhaps for a day), though it seems y'all have a dim view of transit options haha.

Anyhoo, any thoughts or suggestions around areas to stay, things to do/not miss, and food ('cause it's all good!) would be super appreciated. I've been reading this thread, but all input is welcome. Thanks!

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Mustard: you will need a car to get around. But Uber/etc. is all around LA and easily available to get around if you don't want to deal with a car. Another alternative is Turo -- i used that recently for my Hawaii trip and it was soooooo much better & easier than dealing with a car rental company.

Considering that's Christmas time, the LA Farmers Market / Grove is a good spot to hit and hang out, eat, shop, people watch, etc. Santa Monica too -- being Socal it's likely going to be sunny and being by the beach at Christmas time with the sun out can't be beat.

Reactions: MustardStew

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Mustard: you will need a car to get around. But Uber/etc. is all around LA and easily available to get around if you don't want to deal with a car. Another alternative is Turo -- i used that recently for my Hawaii trip and it was soooooo much better & easier than dealing with a car rental company.

Considering that's Christmas time, the LA Farmers Market / Grove is a good spot to hit and hang out, eat, shop, people watch, etc. Santa Monica too -- being Socal it's likely going to be sunny and being by the beach at Christmas time with the sun out can't be beat.
Beach sure sounds nice! I'll look at Turo. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00