Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
My favorite place to go/visit in L.A. (other than to a kings game) is the LAX. Buying a return ticket as soon as humanly possible and then getting the hell out of that place. Man I don't miss living there. Love the Kings still and have a ton of friends and even a couple of family members who manage to exist in that place but what a place to defecate into a hole in the ground it has become. Tragic but then I was there during it's golden age. Meh, STAY OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Gjwrams

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
My favorite place to go/visit in L.A. (other than to a kings game) is the LAX. Buying a return ticket as soon as humanly possible and then getting the hell out of that place. Man I don't miss living there. Love the Kings still and have a ton of friends and even a couple of family members who manage to exist in that place but what a place to defecate into a hole in the ground it has become. Tragic but then I was there during it's golden age. Meh, STAY OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!
What is the point of your post?

To knowingly shit on the home of most of the people who post here?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Exactly Lt Dan.

Talking crap about CA is like the trendy thing for non-Californians now. Like to make them feel better living in their boring place, with extreme hot/cold/humid/etc. weather, ugly/fat girls, bad medical care, limited job options, limited education / college options, etc.

If you are talking about CA politics, then that's something completely different. Honestly, I don't remember a time in my 45-50 years that CA politics have ever lined up with my thinking. But i don't cry about it like a little baby and let it impact me. Here's the thing -- it doesn't. Heck, i'm more bothered by a fellow Californians sports team choice (Ducks, NoCal, Boston, etc.) than their political leanings.

Now to be fair, i live in the North OC and my time is spent in OC, Pasadena/SG Valley and SD (which i personally love). Not Downtown LA and the surrounding LA area. But pretty much most downtown areas have issues. Let's be honest, in the 80's & 90's, downtown LA was wack. I'd be down there and it was dead (& scary) outside of the M-F work day. After 7pm and on weekends there was nothing (except for bad). Now it's way better. Granted, less so recently due to homeless issues and crime. But that's now an LA/CA only thing. It's also a more recent thing. Golden age? Unless you mean like the 1930s-1960s than idk. sounds more like the old man saying he walked 6 miles in the snow each way to school BS.

I've been all around the US (cue Johnny Cash) -- ain't no place as good as Socal brother. There's a reason so many people come to visit Socal. I have family from the midwest, CO, East Coast/south (even Europe) -- all of them visit each year and never want to leave to go back home.

Even with the high cost of living. You know what else is higher beyond the cost of housing/living in CA? My salary due to working in the greater LA area; and my net worth due to a 3-4 increase in value in my CA home. I could buy a couple vacation houses elsewhere in the US with that money alone.

What I find amusing is when people correlate political ideology with everything negative in a given place. No doubt there is plenty of failed policy on display here. But there is also plenty of failed policy in most of the southern states. Texas loves its freedom and no regulations until the power grid fails in the winter time. Or when a fertilizer plant explodes and there is an elementary school and nursing home bordering the property. LA and SF are both a hot mess but the highest murder rate in this state belongs to bakersfield where the mayor is a republican and sits in the congressional district of the former speaker of the house.

No joke... look up the list of most obese, poorest and least educated states in the country and then look at what the states' political leanings are. Now that's something to be proud of! There is plenty of failed policy in this country and it's very much a bipartisan effort. I mean even in trump's first two years in office the federal deficit increased mostly due to increased discretionary spending at trump's request while there was a Republican house and senate. Then Mick Mulvaney (Mr Tea Party) goes on record saying "deficits don't matter". I'm not sure why people think any of these idiots know how to govern or that they actually give two pisses about you.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Exactly Lt Dan.

Talking crap about CA is like the trendy thing for non-Californians now. Like to make them feel better living in their boring place, with extreme hot/cold/humid/etc. weather, ugly/fat girls, bad medical care, limited job options, limited education / college options, etc.

I agree that his post was pointless to the discussion going on in this thread. But aren't you doing the same thing to other parts of the country that you are angry they are doing to CA, it seems like a contradiction to get mad at people for talking crap on where you live and then talking crap on where they live?

It's hard to say places are the best or worst to live because it is all so based on personal preference, what people value and what is important to them. I have been lucky to live in a good amount of places in the country (West Coast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, East Coast) and everywhere I have lived the people that live there all think they live in the best part of the country.

And each part has its own appealing things and unappealing things. I have known plenty of people who left the Midwest to move to CA because they wanted to live in sunny weather all year round, also know a lot of people I grew up with from CA who have moved to Texas and Tennessee specifically for a variety of different reasons.

To each their own.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
But aren't you doing the same thing to other parts of the country that you are angry they are doing to CA, it seems like a contradiction to get mad at people for talking crap on where you live and then talking crap on where they live?
Seriously? LOL. You seriously are saying what i said is the same thing? If so, i don't know what to say. you obviously missed the point or read what you wanted to read. I don't even know where he lives. It's me supporting SoCal from being trashed on by someone who obviously is anti-CA for biased reasons.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Seriously? LOL. You seriously are saying what i said is the same thing? If so, i don't know what to say. you obviously missed the point or read what you wanted to read. I don't even know where he lives. It's me supporting SoCal from being trashed on by someone who obviously is anti-CA for biased reasons.

I think he lives in Canada, not that it matters, I agree with you his comments were out of line and not necessary. I just don't know if trashing other places accomplishes anything. I mean you could just ignore him or tell him why he's wrong.

I left CA when I was young adult, it still holds a special place to me, heck I am there about 2-3 months out of every year, up until a couple months ago I still owned a place in Mission Viejo. I don't think it's a bad place at all. But neither is most of the rest of the country. I have many important women in my life that aren't CA natives, such as my mother and my daughter, they aren't ugly. I received a wonderful education from K through college in three different states, CA, PA, MI. I have lived with a chronic disease and received wonderful healthcare in the five different states I have lived in with the disease (CA, IL, NY, WI, MI). There was certainly bias in his comments, I think there was some in yours too. Sorry if it came across as taking a shot, I just thought there were better ways to address him.

What I find amusing is when people correlate political ideology with everything negative in a given place. No doubt there is plenty of failed policy on display here. But there is also plenty of failed policy in most of the southern states. Texas loves its freedom and no regulations until the power grid fails in the winter time. Or when a fertilizer plant explodes and there is an elementary school and nursing home bordering the property. LA and SF are both a hot mess but the highest murder rate in this state belongs to bakersfield where the mayor is a republican and sits in the congressional district of the former speaker of the house.

No joke... look up the list of most obese, poorest and least educated states in the country and then look at what the states' political leanings are. Now that's something to be proud of! There is plenty of failed policy in this country and it's very much a bipartisan effort. I mean even in trump's first two years in office the federal deficit increased mostly due to increased discretionary spending at trump's request while there was a Republican house and senate. Then Mick Mulvaney (Mr Tea Party) goes on record saying "deficits don't matter". I'm not sure why people think any of these idiots know how to govern or that they actually give two pisses about you.

I think people just want to live in areas where they feel more comfortably culturally, more than anything else, even fiscal.

Since I've been in the Midwest I have known dozens of people who ended up moving to CA and I can say that the vast majority are liberal leaning, conversely almost all the people I went to HS with who have left for places like TX, TN and ID the vast majority are conservative leaning. And I really don't see an issue with either thing, to be honest. It's not abnormal to want to be around people who share similar views. It might be an issue down the road in this country, but that is for another discussion.

And hey, at least you don't have to deal with non-stop political ads and phone-calls living in a state where the election results are pre-determined. I get calls, texts and e-mails almost daily from campaigns, polls, pacs right now. The joys of living in a purple state.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Since I've been in the Midwest I have known dozens of people who ended up moving to CA and I can say that the vast majority are liberal leaning, conversely almost all the people I went to HS with who have left for places like TX, TN and ID the vast majority are conservative leaning. And I really don't see an issue with either thing, to be honest. It's not abnormal to want to be around people who share similar views. It might be an issue down the road in this country, but that is for another discussion.

And hey, at least you don't have to deal with non-stop political ads and phone-calls living in a state where the election results are pre-determined. I get calls, texts and e-mails almost daily from campaigns, polls, pacs right now. The joys of living in a purple state.
You are making the same mistake and generalization that sooo many non-Californians do. Thinking all Californians are liberal and that everything we do here in life is 24/7 liberal. It's humorous to me. Pretty much 99% of the time that I realize it is when i am being told by some non-Californian. Granted, i don't live in the DT LA area. Anyway, life is more than idiotic politicians and politics. I wish we could get away from that as a society and a talking point. It literally never comes up in any conversation with my friends and family.

BTW, my US congressman is a Republican -- yes, in California (OC / SGV area).

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin
I think he lives in Canada, not that it matters, I agree with you his comments were out of line and not necessary. I just don't know if trashing other places accomplishes anything. I mean you could just ignore him or tell him why he's wrong.

I left CA when I was young adult, it still holds a special place to me, heck I am there about 2-3 months out of every year, up until a couple months ago I still owned a place in Mission Viejo. I don't think it's a bad place at all. But neither is most of the rest of the country. I have many important women in my life that aren't CA natives, such as my mother and my daughter, they aren't ugly. I received a wonderful education from K through college in three different states, CA, PA, MI. I have lived with a chronic disease and received wonderful healthcare in the five different states I have lived in with the disease (CA, IL, NY, WI, MI). There was certainly bias in his comments, I think there was some in yours too. Sorry if it came across as taking a shot, I just thought there were better ways to address him.

I think people just want to live in areas where they feel more comfortably culturally, more than anything else, even fiscal.

Interesting, I'm getting political phone calls and text messages everyday here.

I really don't care where people live or why they want to live there. My point was that politics don't really define a place. Like Schrute said, we've got plenty of conservatives all over the state. I'm DTS because i loathe both parties. My next door neighbor has "F Joe Biden" flag flying over his house and "Trump 2024" in his window here in Long Beach, CA. I really don't get that. You're alienating your neighbors with that kind of crap. As an aside, I've never liked a politician enough to put a sticker on my car or a sign on my house. I'll never understand that. I think that's people who need affirmation from others because you're certainly never going to change someone's mind with a sticker or sign so the only other thing you'll get is a high five from someone who thinks like you.

As far as being around people that have the same ideology, I'm not sure I agree. I don't believe in religion and I have plenty of friends who are religious. People who are religious and go to church are sitting next to people who are liberals and conservatives. And it's for those reasons why I don't understand where all of this insane political polarization is coming from. We have family, friends, people that go to the same church or participate in philanthropy together, play hockey etc... do they all think like you?

Every day that goes on I feel like our society is getting closer to being a real life version of idiocracy. Just waiting for Starbucks to update their menu!

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Slightly off-topic, but then again, maybe not:

I was listening to a Finnish podcast "Urheilucast" and the host told his friend visited Los Angeles in 2010 or so and checked from the map (train? metro?) that how does he go to see the Anaheim Ducks home game. He ended up in wrong Anaheim, something that reads (or did read) on the map, but is something completely different than what the place where Ducks plays is. The only more details the host told was that you go thru Compton to there.

My wife is from Los Angeles (moved away over 20 years ago) and she had never heard of the other Anaheim. I didn't find it from the map. So the obvious question:

Where's the other Anaheim?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Slightly off-topic, but then again, maybe not:

I was listening to a Finnish podcast "Urheilucast" and the host told his friend visited Los Angeles in 2010 or so and checked from the map (train? metro?) that how does he go to see the Anaheim Ducks home game. He ended up in wrong Anaheim, something that reads (or did read) on the map, but is something completely different than what the place where Ducks plays is. The only more details the host told was that you go thru Compton to there.

My wife is from Los Angeles (moved away over 20 years ago) and she had never heard of the other Anaheim. I didn't find it from the map. So the obvious question:

Where's the other Anaheim?
There's an "Anaheim Street"station on the Blue Line route in Long Beach.

It's 6 stops down from the Compton Station.

Blame the referee

Aug 24, 2014
Granby
Hey guys. French Canadian hockey fan here!

Our sports trip is in LA this year (December 2 to 7) and we will like some of your intake for sleep, nightlife and thing we must do.

We are four guys in our 30. We like to party a lot, but don’t want club with just young adult in the club and not just old men.

We are going to Kings, Ducks and Rams game.

We read a lot for where to sleep and have a couple of bar/club near us.

The city is so big, so not easy for us to choose.

Thanks

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hey guys. French Canadian hockey fan here!

Our sports trip is in LA this year (December 2 to 7) and we will like some of your intake for sleep, nightlife and thing we must do.

We are four guys in our 30. We like to party a lot, but don’t want club with just young adult in the club and not just old men.

We are going to Kings, Ducks and Rams game.

We read a lot for where to sleep and have a couple of bar/club near us.

The city is so big, so not easy for us to choose.

Thanks
You can do almost anything in LA. If you list your collective interests, it would really help.

Some basic help:
If you like art, the Getty Museum is a must

Re Food:
I would recommend eating as much Mexican food as you can while you are here. You will find a bunch of regional Mexican foods here that are hard to find elsewhere.
Same goes with Thai Food

As far as partying, I always recommend Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach for tourists. The Westside is one of the nicest as safest parts of LA

Edit here is some generic bs to do

If you go to Rodeo Drive, don't flash money if one of your friends buy something be discrete. Follow home robberies are a thing there.

3rd street promenade was mentioned there that was the part of Santa Monica I referenced earlier. Some great places to eat and above average nightlife.
I don't have legs, so I don't dance and can't be of much help there

Last edited:

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Just want to add that my comments were so obviously meant to be taken as a joke that I didn't bother to put an emoji or say anything afterwards. I live in L.A. for a couple of decade so I used to love it there. It has become a terrible place to visit and to live (according to my family and friends who still live there) is what I have seen and am told. Sorry I hurt peoples feelings. Really, I am very truly sorry.... I feel sad that peoples feelings where hurt......(sad emoji : ( ).

Come on guys, lighten up Franceses.

I no longer live in Canada by the way. I am living in the very far Northernmost part of Idaho. Sure, there are many things this place doesn't have but personal space and absolute freedom (as much as can be had) is has in abundance. I agree with the idea that you live where you want to be and you typically love this place because of it but it is the people and philosophy of those who live around that makes a place better or worse in my opinion. Still a King fan and still work in hockey after all of these years (just have to drive a bit to reach my work) but it has all been worth it.

So in order to respond to the post seriously

My favorite place to visit there is down to where I used to live to see friends and to eat at Lapaz rest or if I am feel upity I go to Pancho's (or would if it is still a place).

All better?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Did you read what I wrote at all?

I mean I know I am not the funny guy but I mean that was just so clearly meant to be taken as a humorous posting that I didn't think it even warranted any further comment. No political stuff was said or hinted at by my part either.

So whithout any of attempting at comedy I will say that I lived in Ca from the 70's through the late 90's so I am as entitled to my opinion on the place as anyone else is. I have seen the place turn into something that I don't like any longer but I never said anyting about anyone who loves the place in my post either.

I mean firstly who gives a single crap about what you OR I think anyways, eh? So sensitive, maybe that is part of the problem I have with the place and why I don't post here like I used to any more. We used to be brothers in arms united in support of the team we all love. I strong group. Now I don't know anymore what to say.

I still have great friends who post here but it isn't what it used to be. Still love these boards and will always take the back of my fellow Kings fans but I don't have to agree with what anyone says if I don't want to.

So we will be cool now, OK?

Is there a lot of activity in Venice beach/ Santa Monica in december, or everything run slow in December?

I think Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo piers are better party options. They are all a close uber/ can ride away from each other and plenty of bars from dives to club atmosphere. They also don't have the crime and homeless like Santa Monica and Venice. Plus you might run into some Kings players there if that's an interesting prospect. I had lunch there in September and saw Tyler Toffoli. I guess he was in town for the 2012 cup ten year reunion.

Other good party options would be Main Street in Huntington Beach and Newport Beach if you guys get to Orange County.

Our beaches aren't like back east where all the businesses close up at the end of summer. Surfers will still be in the water and all of the businesses will be busy like they would in the summer. Just no chicks in bikinis.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Anybody Zach Bryan fans? Hes playing in LA @ Crypto in August. If you want tickets you have to sign up and hope they choose you. Kind of nice but kind of annoying. Just so scalpers don’t resale them. He seems like a great dude to make sure most of his tickets go to his actual fans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm thinking of finally visiting your great city. Probably gonna stay at the W in Hollywood at the beginning of December.Trying to hit roscoes and canters, are there any other food spots I have to hit for the authentic LA experience? One of my good friends lives in Glendale, so I figure I have to stay in the Hollywood area over Santa Monica

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad