Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm thinking of finally visiting your great city. Probably gonna stay at the W in Hollywood at the beginning of December.Trying to hit roscoes and canters, are there any other food spots I have to hit for the authentic LA experience? One of my good friends lives in Glendale, so I figure I have to stay in the Hollywood area over Santa Monica
If you’re gonna be in Glendale, you gotta hit up El Tapatio. Taqueria El Tapatio · 4.3 ★ (691) · Mexican restaurant

Also plenty of good Armenian food practically anywhere.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Definitely eat at Carousel if you're in Glendale. If you want some Cuban, try Porto's, but expect to wait in long lines. That's pretty much the Porto's experience.

El Cholo in Downtown LA sucks. I ate there once, and the food is bland, flavorless, and overpriced. You're much better off finding a taco stand anywhere else. Bandit's suggestion for El Tapatio is a good one.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm thinking of finally visiting your great city. Probably gonna stay at the W in Hollywood at the beginning of December.Trying to hit roscoes and canters, are there any other food spots I have to hit for the authentic LA experience? One of my good friends lives in Glendale, so I figure I have to stay in the Hollywood area over Santa Monica
Not brought up yet, but LA has incredible Asian food. If you have never had Korean BBQ, definitely try it

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Second the suggestion for Carousel. Sahara on Colorado blvd in Pasadena is pretty good too. And yeah I’d go to Don Cuco in Toluca Lake over El Cholo, not too far from Glendale. K town can be an adventure but rocket legs is right. Korean bbq shouldn’t be missed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not brought up yet, but LA has incredible Asian food. If you have never had Korean BBQ, definitely try it
I'll def keep it in mind. I'm born and raised, and currently live in Toronto, and while you guys probably have a slightly stronger Korean food scene, Asian food is general is one of the areas Toronto really excels in (especially Chinese, Indian, Korean, some Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese), so I've def had Korean BBQ. We def punch near the top of NA cities in Asian food (only comparables I would think would be you guys, the Bay, and NYC, especially when factoring in diversity of asian cuisines). The one area we'd notably lack compared to you guys from all I've heard is Mexican (which makes sense, our mexican population is non-existent, wheres Mexican Americans and first generation-mexicans make up a massive percentage of So Cal).

Thanks for the advice. What's the tailgate scene like at SoFi for Rams games? I would think Cleveland will have a decent percentage of fans just due to how many people from there have moved to the west coast over the past 30 years and support the team.

Thanks for the tips so far. Will absolutely keep an eye on this thread, and will check in time to time from now until December. Really look forward to seeing your city, and while December weather in LA may not be ideal for you, it's gonna be very welcome to this Canadian coming from a Great Lakes city.

Reactions: Carbooja
El Pollo Inka for Peruvian routisserie chicken. Zankou Chicken is also good for routisserie chicken. I think that's Lebanese.

As far as dell's go, Langers is another that famous for pastrami. Another pastrami spot that's definitely unique to LA is the Hat. The Hat is the only restaurant I've ever seen have Fanta wild cherry soda and it's my favorite of all time. I'm not much of a soda guy but if I pass a Hat restaurant I gotta get one because you literally can't find it anywhere else that I know of.

I would recommend something other than El Cholo even though I like it. If you do go get their tamales. Those are the best thing on the menu. Definitely get some street tacos. They're everywhere and most spots are pretty legit. Drive down Alameda in Compton and you'll find thousands of them.

Gladstone's in Malibu for seafood. You're there for the location more than the food. Maybe just grab a drink and an appetizer.

You're obviously welcome to stay where you like but I'd recommend staying in the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo beaches) over Hollywood. Much cleaner, safer and you're next to the beach. Plus all kinds of dining options and night life.

Reactions: 93LEAFS and Bandit
On and the Grand Central Market in DTLA is an experience. This is the best taco place there:

Tacos Tumbras a Tomas

Don't order more than one taco.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
El Pollo Inka for Peruvian routisserie chicken. Zankou Chicken is also good for routisserie chicken. I think that's Lebanese.

As far as dell's go, Langers is another that famous for pastrami. Another pastrami spot that's definitely unique to LA is the Hat. The Hat is the only restaurant I've ever seen have Fanta wild cherry soda and it's my favorite of all time. I'm not much of a soda guy but if I pass a Hat restaurant I gotta get one because you literally can't find it anywhere else that I know of.

I would recommend something other than El Cholo even though I like it. If you do go get their tamales. Those are the best thing on the menu. Definitely get some street tacos. They're everywhere and most spots are pretty legit. Drive down Alameda in Compton and you'll find thousands of them.

Gladstone's in Malibu for seafood. You're there for the location more than the food. Maybe just grab a drink and an appetizer.

You're obviously welcome to stay where you like but I'd recommend staying in the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo beaches) over Hollywood. Much cleaner, safer and you're next to the beach. Plus all kinds of dining options and night life.
Oh man… The Hat.

“Pastrami cheeredaaar cheeeeese pleeeeeeeze”

Perfect.

Also Zankou chicken plate. Damn sometimes I really miss LA.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario

Funny you say this, this is why we're staying in West Hawthorne (near the 405) when we come down from Toronto in August.

This thread has some great suggestions.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Thanks for the tips so far. Will absolutely keep an eye on this thread, and will check in time to time from now until December. Really look forward to seeing your city, and while December weather in LA may not be ideal for you, it's gonna be very welcome to this Canadian coming from a Great Lakes city.
If you like movies, check out the New Beverly in December. They're a revival house and show older movies. December is typically a good month too. Here's their schedule from last year.

1689184936094.png

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you like movies, check out the New Beverly in December. They're a revival house and show older movies. December is typically a good month too. Here's their schedule from last year.

View attachment 728318
Thanks for the advice. Def on my list of things to keep an eye on. I'm a huge film buff which is adding to the intrigue of seeing LA. Seems there are 10000's of options of things to do, so far my absolute must see list consists of going to Sofi for the Browns game I have tickets to and Langers (This man's a sucker for Jewish deli's). But, figuring out the rest is gonna be difficult, not for lack of options but because there are too many.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Thanks for the advice. Def on my list of things to keep an eye on. I'm a huge film buff which is adding to the intrigue of seeing LA. Seems there are 10000's of options of things to do, so far my absolute must see list consists of going to Sofi for the Browns game I have tickets to and Langers (This man's a sucker for Jewish deli's). But, figuring out the rest is gonna be difficult, not for lack of options but because there are too many.

FYI, I went to Langers, its okay (i think it's over-hyped) we got better joints here in Toronto and especially Montreal.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
FYI, I went to Langers, its okay (i think it's over-hyped) we got better joints here in Toronto and especially Montreal.
Just curious, where in Toronto (I haven't been to Summlicious yet), I find our Jewish Deli scene pretty lacking especially relative to MTL and NYC.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
Just curious, where in Toronto (I haven't been to Summlicious yet), I find our Jewish Deli scene pretty lacking especially relative to MTL and NYC.
Summlicious is great and according to my good friend who is Jewish and from Montreal, better than some of the places there. Other places he's introduced me to are Center Street Deli and Pancer's Original Deli.

There was this place on Dundas and 427 which I really liked, but sadly the owners retired/closed

Either way if you want to try Langers, go ahead it's an institution. But I was honestly underwhelmed.

And like what the others said, don't stay in West Hollywood. I can DM you the place i'm staying at next month, it was quite reasonable.

I've actually never been there before but it does get a ton of hype. The other famous Jewish deli was already mentioned (Canter's) which I've been to and it wasn't anything special. Although, the building itself is a throwback and there is lots of musical history there. The bar inside host music and the current owner Marc Canter was a childhood friend of Slash from Guns N Roses. They used to hang out there frequently in the 80's. Tons of other famous bands have played there while getting started. It's worth a visit just for the history. The Sunset Strip is just up the road from there.

Back to staying in the South Bay, it's kind of been hinted at but aside for the quality of life issues, the South bay is central to just about everything in the LA metro area. Your a short drive to Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown and Orange County (all depending on the time of day).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've actually never been there before but it does get a ton of hype. The other famous Jewish deli was already mentioned (Canter's) which I've been to and it wasn't anything special. Although, the building itself is a throwback and there is lots of musical history there. The bar inside host music and the current owner Marc Canter was a childhood friend of Slash from Guns N Roses. They used to hang out there frequently in the 80's. Tons of other famous bands have played there while getting started. It's worth a visit just for the history. The Sunset Strip is just up the road from there.

Back to staying in the South Bay, it's kind of been hinted at but aside for the quality of life issues, the South bay is central to just about everything in the LA metro area. Your a short drive to Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown and Orange County (all depending on the time of day).
Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna stay in Hollywood simply because I want to be in a relatively convenient place to meet up with my friend in Glendale. Everything people have said in this thread indicates to stay in Long Beach, Santa Monica or in OC at Newport or Huntington.

I'm open to staying slightly outside of that, but in your guys opinion, what is the most walkable part of LA? I legit just want to hit the local spots and be able to roam.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00