Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
Hello

I ll land on LAX around 1:30 pm, customs, rent a car, so i ll be on the road around 3 pm i hope, probably even later. I want to drive up to Malibu and at that hour i am probably screwed.

Anyway i was thinking Lincoln Blvd all the way, then left to San Vicente Blvd, first right to Entrada Dr, follow Entrada Dr until it connects to PCH.

Google maps wants me to take San Diego Fwy then left to Santa Monica Fwy.

I guess there's no good option at that hour but i am sure there are bad and worse.
Tom Bradley International Terminal has a BIG remodel going on and once you get to your Car rental it might be even later. I'd say once you get your car hit up WAZE or another traffic app and plot in the destination.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Hey everybody! I’m looking to come to Cali for the bolts game January 29
Any advise on buying tickets? Would it be better now or closer to the game?
Also looking at getting good seats

Thanks kings fans!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Thanks kings fans!

Tickets are going for pretty cheap on stubhub right now. Its possible it could drop in price between now and then, but I don't think you'd be hurting if you bought them now. If you're interested in good seats then I would recommend getting any of the Premier Seats. You'll get in seat service and VIP entrance plus those are a good deal as it is right now.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be

Thanks kings fans!
Ditto what kingsboy said about Premier seats, they are largely "owned" by Lakers fans and are always for re-sale .

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008

Thanks kings fans!
Premier seats , just do it . $42 bucks each today in section 13, bolts shoot twice and good view of the bench.

Jani77

Dec 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

We're coming in for a west coast hockey tour from Finland mid March, and will be in LA for 4 days before heading to Las Vegas and San Jose.

Couple of questions:

What area would you suggest we get a hotel from, budget 150-200 a night roughly, in order to catch the usual touristy things and have an easy transportation to both Staples Center and Honda Center in Anaheim? We'll be renting a car from the airport but would prefer public transportation/uber to games as all of us will want our beers/drinks pre and during the game.

At what cost are we looking per ticket in Kings home game vs Ducks on Saturday March 14th? It's a day game starting at 1 pm, is it likely to sell out?Are there any sections in Staples Center to avoid for viewing the game?

This is mostly a hockey trip but we'll hit the pubs/rock bars at night, so preferable hotel location would have those around the area or easy access to those.

Thanks a lot for you help :)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Hi everyone,

We're coming in for a west coast hockey tour from Finland mid March, and will be in LA for 4 days before heading to Las Vegas and San Jose.

Couple of questions:

What area would you suggest we get a hotel from, budget 150-200 a night roughly, in order to catch the usual touristy things and have an easy transportation to both Staples Center and Honda Center in Anaheim? We'll be renting a car from the airport but would prefer public transportation/uber to games as all of us will want our beers/drinks pre and during the game.

At what cost are we looking per ticket in Kings home game vs Ducks on Saturday March 14th? It's a day game starting at 1 pm, is it likely to sell out?Are there any sections in Staples Center to avoid for viewing the game?

This is mostly a hockey trip but we'll hit the pubs/rock bars at night, so preferable hotel location would have those around the area or easy access to those.

I am trying to help, but
Hotel prices are all over the place
We don't really have public transportation here, You will need a car. Southern CA is a giant spread out Metro area

Let's try this What touristy things do you want to do? Then maybe we can recommend an area or two

Reactions: Jani77

Jani77

Dec 26, 2019
I am trying to help, but
Hotel prices are all over the place
We don't really have public transportation here, You will need a car. Southern CA is a giant spread out Metro area

Let's try this What touristy things do you want to do? Then maybe we can recommend an area or two

Mostly we're coming in for hockey but want to check out some usual suspects you should be able to do without car like Walk of Fame/Chinese Theatre/Hollywood etc. We're renting a car when arriving to LAX so we can and will get around, but would rather not have anyone as a designated driver as we all like our beers when going to hockey games :) Downtown LA near Staples Center seemed bit pricey but did have a few options within the price range. The 150-200$/night is not concrete number. Are there any areas we should avoid at all cost for getting a hotel from?

We won't be looking to do clubbing but good rock bars/pubs within reach from the hotel would be a plus.

Also, all info to questions below is much appreciated.

Thanks again :)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
Mostly we're coming in for hockey but want to check out some usual suspects you should be able to do without car like Walk of Fame/Chinese Theatre/Hollywood etc. We're renting a car when arriving to LAX so we can and will get around, but would rather not have anyone as a designated driver as we all like our beers when going to hockey games :) Downtown LA near Staples Center seemed bit pricey but did have a few options within the price range. The 150-200$/night is not concrete number. Are there any areas we should avoid at all cost for getting a hotel from?

We won't be looking to do clubbing but good rock bars/pubs within reach from the hotel would be a plus.

Also, all info to questions below is much appreciated.

Thanks again :)
first of all , the tickets
StubHub!

Every city has good and bad areas, I can easily tell you to avoid skid row, Compton, Watts, Inglewood, but I think it would be easiest to check with us

I am a fan of West LA, Santa Monica especially but it is pricey and a distance from down town

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Hi everyone,

Couple of questions:

Try near little Tokyo area
It is near the train station and not so bad on crime.
Depending on the day you can take metro link or surf rider to Anaheim and the red line to Hollywood areas And close to staples center
Parking can be expensive.
You will have Japanese , Chinese, Mexican and Phillipes French dip all close by.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Hey guys I will be staying in Long beach and driving into LA for a hockey game after the Allstar break.

With Cali traffic how much time should we give to drive in? should we do it earlier in the day to avoid rush hour? ALL tips would be great!

Also what is the best option for parking?

Thanks Kings Fans!

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Hey guys I will be staying in Long beach and driving into LA for a hockey game after the Allstar break.

With Cali traffic how much time should we give to drive in? should we do it earlier in the day to avoid rush hour? ALL tips would be great!

Also what is the best option for parking?

Thanks Kings Fans!
LA is full of 2 hours-2 mile commutes, leave early, get an brief understanding of our freeway system and get ready to sit in our parking lot... Or, you can just take the Blue line all the way to Staples and then back or catch an Uber back...

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
LA is full of 2 hours-2 mile commutes, leave early, get an brief understanding of our freeway system and get ready to sit in our parking lot... Or, you can just take the Blue line all the way to Staples and then back or catch an Uber back...

what does it cost to take blue line or uber roughly from long beach?

Also are there any restaurants close by the staples center that would be recommended? walking distance maybe?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
what does it cost to take blue line or uber roughly from long beach?

Also are there any restaurants close by the staples center that would be recommended? walking distance maybe?
A day pass is about $7, as for restaurants, you hop back on the blue line to the subway and head to the Grand Central Market which is a gold mine for all kinds of good stuff..

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
We always have traffic. But google maps can get you around most shit. Google maps is generally pretty accurate with drive times. If you are time sensitive on something, add in 10-15% more time, but don't drive between 4:30 and 5:30 tho, especially on a friday
Also , the 101 freeway is the devil.
dce.jpg

DWPower

Feb 1, 2020
I'm hoping to rent an apartment up in the Valley for a couple of months, March and April. If anyone knows of anyone looking to rent something out short term, please let me know, thanks.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hello
I'm going to be in LA from march 1 to March 8

Plan on seeing the game vs the Leafs.
Any idea on tickets, I see StubHub but the service fees are usually crappy and lower bowl is still up there in price.

Thanks

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Hello
I'm going to be in LA from march 1 to March 8

Plan on seeing the game vs the Leafs.
Any idea on tickets, I see StubHub but the service fees are usually crappy and lower bowl is still up there in price.

Thanks

Stubhub is usually the best for deals and it helps that the team is **** this year. Just doing a quick comparison is seems like the tickets on stubhub are below face value compared to buying it straight from the Kings. Now unless you are dead set on lower bowl seats then go for those, but I always recommend Premier Seats. VIP entrance and in seat service with great views and are a better deal than those lower bowl seats.

Reactions: TMLFC

commie

Jul 30, 2005
I am an Oilers fan(sorry), and luck would have it that I am going to be in the area for work next week. So is planning to watch the Kings/Oilers game on Sunday(23rd), then the Ducks/Oilers game on Tuesday.

I believe the Sunday game is a bobblehead giveaway game, but with the season that the Kings are having, will there be a lot of fans at the game? I have not purchase tickets yet, but looking at the Kings site and stub hub. It'll just be myself, so was looking at the lower bowl and the PR seats. On the Kings site, looks like the lower bowl center will be around 120-130 plus fees, the PR's probably 100 plus fees.
Which is the better seat?

If I wear my Oilers Jersey, will I encounter any issues from the home town fans? Of course I will be considerate and not rowdy. I will be driving there, where is the best place to park my car? Should I take off my jersey while walking from the car to the arena?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
I am an Oilers fan(sorry), and luck would have it that I am going to be in the area for work next week. So is planning to watch the Kings/Oilers game on Sunday(23rd), then the Ducks/Oilers game on Tuesday.

I believe the Sunday game is a bobblehead giveaway game, but with the season that the Kings are having, will there be a lot of fans at the game?
probably not , but peeps love bobbleheads

I have not purchase tickets yet, but looking at the Kings site and stub hub. It'll just be myself, so was looking at the lower bowl and the PR seats. On the Kings site, looks like the lower bowl center will be around 120-130 plus fees, the PR's probably 100 plus fees.
Which is the better seat?
Lower bowl= closest to the action, but sight line problems
PR= better sight lines and waiter/waitress service, plus you get to feel like a big shot going thru the VIP entrance. Being a communist, are you ok being a bourgeois? Shouldn't you be in the upper bowl with the working class?

If I wear my Oilers Jersey, will I encounter any issues from the home town fans? Of course I will be considerate and not rowdy.
Every fan base has their share of dicks, but Californians are largely transplants and we have fans from every team at every game
I
I will be driving there, where is the best place to park my car? Should I take off my jersey while walking from the car to the arena?
Just past the arena there are cheaper lots.
You are ok wearing your jersey. If you get any stupid comments, tell everyone that you live in Torrance.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
probably not , but peeps love bobbleheads

Lol...Thanks for the reply
Yes, who doesn't love a bobblehead...it is Dustin Brown bobblehead.

Lower bowl= closest to the action, but sight line problems
PR= better sight lines and waiter/waitress service, plus you get to feel like a big shot going thru the VIP entrance. Being a communist, are you ok being a bourgeois? Shouldn't you be in the upper bowl with the working class?
Hehehe
I am not that kind of communist...I am a commie as in Commerce Degree.....so the total opposite of a communist...
I am leaning towards the PR seats...
Are there big differences between row 10 and row 1 in the PR07? There is a ticket in row 10 for 65 and row 1 is 110.

Every fan base has their share of dicks, but Californians are largely transplants and we have fans from every team at every game

Just past the arena there are cheaper lots.
You are ok wearing your jersey. If you get any stupid comments, tell everyone that you live in Torrance.

hmmm..Is there a story to the Torrance reference? I've been traveling to the LAX area for work for the past couple of years, and have always stayed at the Torrance Marriott. So it won't be a stretch to say I do live in Torrance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->