OT: Visiting Denver

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm biased toward the west, ideally you don't want to have to deal with 1-25 to get anywhere. It's not endless sprawl and not terribly expensive in certain areas. You are closer to downtown and the mountains there.

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
Thats one thing about where Im at - its a pain in the A$$ to get to I-25.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
We are house hunting and finding some of the cheapest areas right now are Thornton, Northglenn and Arvada. Now that's certainly for a reason. But if you want to get out here for cheap and then move up later those will be your cheapest options.

And people do get irritated with transplants lately. But a big part of that is being a jerk about it. The people that move here and complain about colorado or talk constant crap about it and their sports teams are what infuriates me. The ones that come here because they truly like what colorado is about instead of trying to turn it into California/Chicago are ok in my book

Whats the reason those areas are cheaper? Are they rough areas?

I guess I would be alright as a transplant then since I hate California and I won't talk crap on the hockey team at least lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not really, just further from downtown. Any west of the highway suburb is decent, heed the advice and stay away from commerce city. Parts of Aurora are bad but it's such a huge area that's too general of a statement. Avoid Colfax, Federal streets. I guess 5 points is hipster now? I never go down there. Pretty much most areas of the metro are nice.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Compared to Fresno... there are no bad areas in Denver. :naughty:

I guess that should have been a given, there are basically no good areas in Fresno anymore :laugh: Even as a 30 year old guy I still don't particularly like walking around at night.

But I guess it sounds like I can't really go too wrong with most areas. Like I said, my preference would be to be close to the mountains but if I have to look a bit east of Denver to not pay so much so be it.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I guess that should have been a given, there are basically no good areas in Fresno anymore :laugh: Even as a 30 year old guy I still don't particularly like walking around at night.

But I guess it sounds like I can't really go too wrong with most areas. Like I said, my preference would be to be close to the mountains but if I have to look a bit east of Denver to not pay so much so be it.

Any idea what you want to go back to school for?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Any idea what you want to go back to school for?

I tend to change my mind a lot about it (which is bad considering my age) so I think the plan will be to settle in somewhere in/around Denver and get my general ed going. But I do think i've finally settled on going into the Psychology field, which is something I keep coming back to.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I tend to change my mind a lot about it (which is bad considering my age) so I think the plan will be to settle in somewhere in/around Denver and get my general ed going. But I do think i've finally settled on going into the Psychology field, which is something I keep coming back to.

Have you considered Western Colorado? Rent is about half, there are plenty of mountains and CMU has a Psych program.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Have you considered Western Colorado? Rent is about half, there are plenty of mountains and CMU has a Psych program.

its probably too far away from Denver for my liking, but it could also be a really good starting point for me until I get established out there too. Also I know i'd have to start with a community college before going to a University, but i'll definitely look into CMU.

Is Western CO mostly smaller communities or are there a couple of decent sized cities as well?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
its probably too far away from Denver for my liking, but it could also be a really good starting point for me until I get established out there too. Also I know i'd have to start with a community college before going to a University, but i'll definitely look into CMU.

Is Western CO mostly smaller communities or are there a couple of decent sized cities as well?

Grand Junction has grown tremendously and it would have all the amenities you'd want. I'm suggesting it under the idea of it being a good starting point to Colorado without having to spend an arm and a leg. Decent sized city with mostly blue-collar type work.

edit: About 60,000 within city limits

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Grand Junction has grown tremendously and it would have all the amenities you'd want. I'm suggesting it under the idea of it being a good starting point to Colorado without having to spend an arm and a leg. Decent sized city with mostly blue-collar type work.

edit: About 60,000 within city limits

You're probably right as a good starting point, makes plenty of sense considering my situation.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'd go Golden if you want to be close to the mountains but also close to downtown. A lot of my friends live in Green Mountain and absolutely love it as well. They are all skiers.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Whats your opinion on grand junction?

Not my kind of place at all. Very blue collar and rough around the edges. The whole place seems to revolve around the oil industry, which provides most of the employment in the area. They also seem to resent the rest of colorado for not appreciating the blue collar lifestyle. I have yet to do anything but want to leave when I've passed through town.

I probably haven't given Junction its fair chance but I've known quite a few people from that area. The vast majority of them hate the place and never want to live there again.

It's also like 4+ hours, on I-70, to Denver. Which is no good if you have any interest in going to Avs games.

If you make a trip out to Colorado to check things out I'd take a look. But you'll probably quickly understand why housing is so cheap there.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Not my kind of place at all. Very blue collar and rough around the edges. The whole place seems to revolve around the oil industry, which provides most of the employment in the area. They also seem to resent the rest of colorado for not appreciating the blue collar lifestyle. I have yet to do anything but want to leave when I've passed through town.

I probably haven't given Junction its fair chance but I've known quite a few people from that area. The vast majority of them hate the place and never want to live there again.

It's also like 4+ hours, on I-70, to Denver. Which is no good if you have any interest in going to Avs games.

If you make a trip out to Colorado to check things out I'd take a look. But you'll probably quickly understand why housing is so cheap there.

It's just not a high tech kind of place but much more cost effective. It's still a huge step up from Fresno. Denver is pricey, man. And I don't get the sense they resent the rest of Colorado. Except for all of those friggin California transplants. :sarcasm:

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver

Everybody who grew up in similar sized towns always say that about the place they are from, not exclusive to GJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00