OT: Visiting Denver

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I think I'll find a way to check out Red Rocks.

The Wednesday game happens to be a third jersey game, so I'll get to see those in action too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
@Flanagan

The altitude thing is something I never noticed at all and I have asthma. Plus I'm from the same province as you which means we're both used to the same atmosphere so I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

I did notice though after you're about 6 or 7 beers deep that you start to feel it a little more than you would at home haha. I don't know if that's the atmosphere or just being overtired from travelling though.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
@Flanagan

The altitude thing is something I never noticed at all and I have asthma. Plus I'm from the same province as you which means we're both used to the same atmosphere so I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

I did notice though after you're about 6 or 7 beers deep that you start to feel it a little more than you would at home haha. I don't know if that's the atmosphere or just being overtired from travelling though.

Haha thanks, I was pretty concerned about that.

Are you making the trip for the Stadium Series?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
@Flanagan

You're, right, it is dehydration, not altitude. (It is drier at altitude, but it's not the altitude in and of itself. Common misconception.)

Altitude affects everyone a little differently, and it's impossible to predict. Doesn't really have much to do with age or fitness level. Usually here in Denver it's not a big deal. You'll notice it some, might be hard to sleep the first night, but it's when you get 7K ft and up that things start to ramp up. If you are going up high to ski or something, it's always best to spend the night in Denver or similar altitude before you go up, if it's at all possible.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Haha thanks, I was pretty concerned about that.

Are you making the trip for the Stadium Series?

I don't think so. I'd love to but I'm at that age where all my travelling is used for friends who are getting married haha. I'll be in Winnipeg next month to see the Avs though. That'll be the only game I likely get in this year.

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
Hey everyone, have a group coming from Va for the Avs-Caps game on April 1st. I read through the whole thread real quick and have some questions that I didn't see answered.

-The Avs practice facility: I see that it is open to public, is it pretty accessible, and is there a reliable schedule posted for when the Avs practice there? Do visiting teams ever practice there, or do they skate at Pepsi Center? Any possibility of getting any autographs?

-Any interesting hockey or any other sport sites in the city(player owned bar in the city, statues, anything to see in the arena, etc)? I grew up and liked the Avs as a kid and my Dad was stationed in Colorado so I don't follow the NFL much but I like the Broncos.

We are coming for the entire weekend and will be staying at a friend's place in the city, so I made note of a lot of the tips in here already. Thanks!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There isn't ever a practice schedule posted. @avspr on twitter does a decent job of informing of upcoming practice. I will say now looking at the schedule there's a pretty safe bet they'll practice that Thursday prior to the game. They have a road game on Tuesday, they might have a light practice or off ice on Weds but with two days off they'd likely practice on Thurs. It's usually at 10:30 or 11. Yes it's easy to find, park at and enter. I haven't done it personally but it's well known that after practice if you hang out at the gate entrance by the player parking lot in the rear of the building some players will stop for autographs. As far as where the Caps like to practice, I don't know. It wouldn't be at the Avs practice facility. You might want to look into where they have in the past. I know a lot of teams use DU and I know the Pens just used some random place called Big Bear, I had no idea.

I don't know about anything real iconic to visit. Shanahan's or Elways steakhouses lol. There's always tours of the stadiums, which might be interesting.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
Thanks. We'll have a car so are there any sights not already mentioned that are within a 30-60 minute drive? Looking for scenic and brewery types mostly. Is the drive up to Cheyenne worth it? Looks kind of sleepy but I want to get to all 50 states eventually.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
On Cheyenne... depends on what you like. It is a pretty ho hum town with not a lot to do especially in the spring in the town itself. Only 1 brewery (though 1 opening real soon) and it isn't good. Going to the west a little bit there is some beautiful scenery around Vedauwoo (pretty much right in between Laramie and Cheyenne).

IMO you'd be better off driving up to Fort Collins messing around there and then going up 287 (provided the weather isn't crap as that road sucks when snowy) to Laramie... then maybe a trek over to Cheyenne if you want to cross Wyoming off.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks. We'll have a car so are there any sights not already mentioned that are within a 30-60 minute drive? Looking for scenic and brewery types mostly. Is the drive up to Cheyenne worth it? Looks kind of sleepy but I want to get to all 50 states eventually.

I have that same 50 states list so I get the desire there but otherwise no your time would be better served going up into the mountains. You've read the thread so you know I'd say Red Rocks is a must do.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yellowstone, Laramie or Jackson are the two best spots in WY to hit. Yellowstone #1 Jackson #2 and Laramie #3

If you do go to Cheyenne, there's some cool little restaurants by the train museum. But yeah, the only thing "awesome" about Cheyenne that I've really thought was well worth it is Cheyenne Frontier Days that occurs in the summer time.

airqualf

Jan 5, 2014
Oberhausen
in just 16 days i will be in Denver for the first time in my life :yo:
great to see that the team is on it's way to be in the playoff race again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yellowstone, Laramie or Jackson are the two best spots in WY to hit. Yellowstone #1 Jackson #2 and Laramie #3

If you do go to Cheyenne, there's some cool little restaurants by the train museum. But yeah, the only thing "awesome" about Cheyenne that I've really thought was well worth it is Cheyenne Frontier Days that occurs in the summer time.

It closed... :cry:

There is going to be a Comic Con in Cheyenne in May!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wyoming's Rib & Chop House - worth the effort or no?

It is pretty damn good, but not worth a special trip. If you are in the area, it is probably the best place to eat in Cheyenne and not super expensive. Little Bear Inn is the only place that competes for quality in the Cheyenne area.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Cheyenne has to be the most boring state capital in the US. Really there is zero reason to travel there unless you know someone there...

or you want to see the most boring state capital in the US.

airqualf

Jan 5, 2014
Oberhausen
on friday, i'll finally come to denver. can't wait!
in addition to the four avs games we'll be at, we also have tickets for the broncos game on sunday. what should we do there? there is an all you can eat tailgate at the mile high mountain village. should we buy tickets for that or is the tailgating at the parking lot better? can we just walk around there even when we are without our own car?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not familiar with that, where is this village? As far as I know tailgating is mostly private, it's not community but I'm sure you'll meet nice folks. Yes you can walk around anywhere.

airqualf

Jan 5, 2014
Oberhausen
I'm not familiar with that, where is this village? As far as I know tailgating is mostly private, it's not community but I'm sure you'll meet nice folks. Yes you can walk around anywhere.

thanks! i think we'll try the parking lot and hope to meet some nice people out there.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Mile High Station is a bar that's really close. On the South side of the stadium there's an outdoor park with statues of former players and execs. There's hot dog and hamburger stands etc. This stuff is all public and open to everyone.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
just wanted to follow up on my new years trip
had limited time to take in the local flavors in addition to the nye game

got to check out Red Rocks ... always wanted to go, concert would have been first choice but clearly that wasn't an option this time of the year ... still a great experience and easier to take the stage than when a concert is going on :nod:

had a great meal at Denver Biscuit Company (Colfax location) ... wanted the Elmer but they said they were out so went with the Schooner which was still delicious ... long wait but still worth it

had a dinner at Rialto Cafe on 16th Street that was decent

discovered the goodness of Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout

Last edited:

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
So a friend of mine just became stewardess at a German airline. She could take me on a flight to whatever destination in the world for roundabout 130€ one-way. Denver, you might get to know me sooner than I expected! :yo::naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad