OT: Visiting Denver

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Not my kind of place at all. Very blue collar and rough around the edges. The whole place seems to revolve around the oil industry, which provides most of the employment in the area. They also seem to resent the rest of colorado for not appreciating the blue collar lifestyle. I have yet to do anything but want to leave when I've passed through town.

woah woah I work in the O&G. We're not all blue collar.

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Not my kind of place at all. Very blue collar and rough around the edges. The whole place seems to revolve around the oil industry, which provides most of the employment in the area. They also seem to resent the rest of colorado for not appreciating the blue collar lifestyle. I have yet to do anything but want to leave when I've passed through town.

I probably haven't given Junction its fair chance but I've known quite a few people from that area. The vast majority of them hate the place and never want to live there again.

It's also like 4+ hours, on I-70, to Denver. Which is no good if you have any interest in going to Avs games.

If you make a trip out to Colorado to check things out I'd take a look. But you'll probably quickly understand why housing is so cheap there.

Woah, Smiley, I'm sorry you have such a bad impression of Grand Junction. I hope you have the opportunity to revisit the area, as it sounds like your impression is fairly dated.

I grew up here and was lucky to find a great job back here after I finished college in Fort Collins. The oil and gas industry is a part of the economy over here, but not to the extent it was back in the 80's-90's when it was a big driving force in the area.

The city has really been made-over in the past decade or two. A portion of the population is still of the retirement variety, but CMU gaining University status was a big step in bringing in the younger crowd. The historic downtown area has really been revamped, and there are lots of pubs, eateries, restaurants to frequent. The city has boomed too, we're 60k proper, but 150k including the surrounding suburbs.

There's a surprisingly large tech field here. The University has a fantastic reputation with medical studies, and the Psychology department is included. I have several friends with Psych degrees from CMU, and most are well employed in the field at this point.

Smiley is right as far as it being 4 hours from Denver. Probably not the ideal area if you want to frequent Avs games, but if you like the outdoors, this place is hard to beat. We're less than an hour from the local ski area, and less than an hour from some of the most amazing red-rock desert.

As for housing, it is very reasonable for housing prices. I was renting a 1400 sq. foot house for $850 a month, before we bought our house a few years ago. I think the rental prices have increased a bit since then. There are lots of places around the college and downtown, though.

Hope this helps!

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I can't see how much it is from that link but the airport isn't close by so I think it's a good chunk of money no matter how you do it. Maybe look at the SkyRide bus, it should go from the airport right to Union Station and not cost more than $10.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml

Right now stub hub is your best bet. There might be some discounts direct but they usually come in closer to the game date. I'll let you know.

+1 for the SkyRide. It's cheap, convenient, and clean. Basically the opposite of what you normally expect from public transit. Anytime friends or family come to time, I have them use it.

Thanks! I'll look into the skyride and stubhub

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
April 22nd the light rail from the Airport to Downtown Denver will open

I guess unless we really surprise in the playoffs folks will have to wait for next year for that

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
Really getting nervous now. Leave to go to Denver for the first time ever on April 16th (just a coincidence it happens to be playoff time) and I really need/want the Avs to make the playoffs. Probably won't be able to make it to a game but I think it would be cool to see what it is like in a city where a team is in the playoffs just for hype and everything!

We looked it up and I see that the Pepsi Center has tours available, can anyone tell me is that worth doing? And also where are the best places to get Avs apparel from? Thanks in advance!

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Would love to hear from those who recently visited Denver how your trip went.

Would you describe your trip as...
A. Oh man, that was awesome
B. Meh, I had some fun
C. Yo, that place is wak
D. I'm so stoned right now. Where am I? You want to go get some hot pockets. I could go for some hot pockets, or maybe a pizza. Oh dude, you think they make a hot pocket pizza?

dahlenrules

Jul 7, 2009
Virginia
For the game on Friday what are the best pre game bars. Any hockey friendly ones? It also looks like weather might be nice so maybe one with outdoor or rooftop seats? Thanks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For the game on Friday what are the best pre game bars. Any hockey friendly ones? It also looks like weather might be nice so maybe one with outdoor or rooftop seats? Thanks.

Brooklyns is right by the Pepsi center, you'll get a lot of game crowd there. If you want a rooftop go to the area by Coors Field (not far but probably a good 20 min walk), Tavern, Viewhouse to name a few, there are many. Just go to 20th and Blake.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Been hearing really good things about Rhein Haus. They moved in where Old Chicsgos used to be. 10 min walk from Pepsi Center. German food and German beer. Don't know how friendly to hockey they are.

If you want primo food before a game - foodie award winning stuff - make a reservation at Rioja before the game. Expensive and busy but award winning food.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really enjoyed Brooklyn's but I'm not very high class when it comes to having some grub and beers before a sporting event. I like drinking Coors and eating wings and nachos and other typical pub food and that place was great for what I wanted. Plus it's right beside PC and it feels like you've died and gone to burgundy heaven with all the Avs fans which is pretty cool.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Been hearing really good things about Rhein Haus. They moved in where Old Chicsgos used to be. 10 min walk from Pepsi Center. German food and German beer. Don't know how friendly to hockey they are.
They also feature bocce ball. Not my bag, but the kids seem to love it these days.

+1 on the Tavern and Viewhouse. Likely an Uber ride to get from either to Pepsi if in a time crunch.

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
Crunch time... going to Denver in 6 days! Just realized our last day there is 4/20. :laugh: Staying at the Curtis Hotel and so far the things we are doing is going to the 16th St Mall, Denver Zoo, Tour of the Pepsi Center, Coors Brewery Tour. Still looking for a good hiking place. I don't think we will have a car so that definitely limit us. Any other things? What are everyones favorite things to do?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Crunch time... going to Denver in 6 days! Just realized our last day there is 4/20. :laugh: Staying at the Curtis Hotel and so far the things we are doing is going to the 16th St Mall, Denver Zoo, Tour of the Pepsi Center, Coors Brewery Tour. Still looking for a good hiking place. I don't think we will have a car so that definitely limit us. Any other things? What are everyones favorite things to do?

A close by good hike would be Red Rocks. It's tough to get anywhere without a car, but thats probably your best bet.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Well, an update on my moving situation...I'm about halfway to my financial goal to moving, so I'm still looking at October as my timeframe. I think im gonna start looking for work around July and I think I've settled on trying the Fort Collins area.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Crunch time... going to Denver in 6 days! Just realized our last day there is 4/20.

For 4/20 - http://420rally.co/

Go to Peaks Lounge (view of the whole city - best to go during sunset)
Union Station is a must for food/drink
Falling Rock for good beers, Great Divide for awesome brewery
Union Lodge for spectacular cocktails
REI Flagship Store for awesome shopping
Rioja for foodie appetitie - reservations rqd
Earls to check out hot waitresses
Root Down for awesome brunch - reservation rqd
Avanti for wide variety of cheap food and beer

All are downtown - no car required.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, and it is all slushy, icy crap. Not the nice fluffy powder the Rockies gets.

Yeah no not even a little bit lol. Our temperatures during the winter are well into the negatives. All our snow falls fluffy and blows around and then stays there until winter is over. The only slushy/icy stuff you see is on the roads because of cars driving over it.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You might be cold enough to get powder, but it is not all just the temps....humid air makes for heavier snow...the stuff in the Rockies is dry. I have skiied in, and shovelled, plenty of Maine and Vermont snow to to know what it feels like. Yours may be better than that, but it ain't high mountain quality :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->