OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I plan on going to Wrigley for the first time ever next season, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Where do people suggest sitting in the stadium? What do tickets normally cost? When do they go on sale?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Journalism has benefits, so I am off to Chicago from Saturday to Wednesday. Conveniently, my Flyers play you guys on Tuesday.

SO:

How is your scalping culture/prices. Pittsburgh, Philly, Nashville, even Montreal I have been able to show up to an arena around gametime and get in the door with a $50 cap. You guys have had insane success, so I don't know if that will carry over. Should I Stubhub it? I do like to keep it around $50 max, whatever the best seat I can get is. Not much for standing room.

I will have a jersey with me and I will be wearing it unless you tell me otherwise. I am from Philly so my perspective on visiting fan treatment is screwed up. I will be going alone. I am not obnoxious.

I have never been in Chicago before. I like (dwell in) smokey dive bars and have a $15/$25/$35 breakfast/lunch/dinner company food budget. What's good?

My hotel is right near the Art Institute.

Any help appreciated!

Open House Chicago is this weekend

http://openhousechicago.org/

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Wish I was around this weekend for that. I've participated in 2 studies at MediaScience, would be really cool to see it from their side.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Good Hawks bar in South burbs? Higher end if possible.

Haven't been home in 3 years.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Tinley/ Orland

I would say Fatties or The Black Sheep.

Fatties is on 144th and John Humphrey Dr.

The Black Sheep is on 159th just east of Lagrange Road. You also have Sam's Triple Crown right there, which has an OTB.

I've been to Fatties and The Black Sheep. Both have pretty damn good food, and are sportsbar type of bar/grills. Never been to Triple Crown.

The Score frequents Fatties, actually. I think they were just out there for the Cubs game on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Otherwise there's always Bdubs or Hooters...

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
living in the bayou world of Louisiana, i really miss my chi fav's food.

when domino and pizza are considered excellent source of pizza, yous guys really don't know the world of hades i live in. i love my food.

so i was in Houston Tx this weekend and low and behold Geno East is here..... deep dish has finally invaded the southern states. to top that off, chi style beef sandwiches....

now come the bad part. the meat kind of thing they, the locals calls italian sausage is horrible. it really distracted from the deep dish.

so what i learn, order about 5 deep dish pizza, no sausage extra gravy..... bring them home and freeze them.

heaven....

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
living in the bayou world of Louisiana, i really miss my chi fav's food.

when domino and pizza are considered excellent source of pizza, yous guys really don't know the world of hades i live in. i love my food.

so i was in Houston Tx this weekend and low and behold Geno East is here..... deep dish has finally invaded the southern states. to top that off, chi style beef sandwiches....

now come the bad part. the meat kind of thing they, the locals calls italian sausage is horrible. it really distracted from the deep dish.

so what i learn, order about 5 deep dish pizza, no sausage extra gravy..... bring them home and freeze them.

heaven....

Wait.

You live in Louisiana and are complaining about food? I have never heard of such a thing.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
Hey guys, gonna be visiting the area this weekend. My hotel is around the millennium park area. What's some good food/bars in the area? Also i'm gonna be taking the Blue Line from O hare; how do fares work? I know in Philly you can either by tickets beforehand or purchase on board. Thanks

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hey guys, gonna be visiting the area this weekend. My hotel is around the millennium park area. What's some good food/bars in the area? Also i'm gonna be taking the Blue Line from O hare; how do fares work? I know in Philly you can either by tickets beforehand or purchase on board. Thanks

This site has some good info for fares and figuring out your routes, etc.

https://www.rome2rio.com/

My GF and I really like Pizano's Pizza off Madison and Michigan. Great pizza(both deep dish and thin crust), great atmosphere, if you're looking for a restaurant to eat. It's owned by the Malnati family of Pizzeria Uno fame. Miller's Pub is right in that area as well.

The Grillroom Chophouse and Wine Bar is fairly close to there, and though I haven't been there, I've heard pretty good things. Lots of places right around there. Just google maps Millennium Park and take a look around at all the restaurants, bars, etc. in that area.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

For the blue line and other CTA trains you have to pay before boarding. you need a ticket/card to swipe before you can go through a turnstile.

I think they still have vending machines with disposable cards for one-time/infrequent users.

http://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

As far as food, there's a lot of options, some closer than others depending on where exactly you are staying that is close to Millennium Park (it + Grant Park right south of it is pretty big). Can you say which hotel or just the street? If Hard Rock Hotel watch out for B.S. mini bar charges if you move anything in the fridge at all.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
For the blue line and other CTA trains you have to pay before boarding. you need a ticket/card to swipe before you can go through a turnstile.

I think they still have vending machines with disposable cards for one-time/infrequent users.

http://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

As far as food, there's a lot of options, some closer than others depending on where exactly you are staying that is close to Millennium Park (it + Grant Park right south of it is pretty big). Can you say which hotel or just the street? If Hard Rock Hotel watch out for B.S. mini bar charges if you move anything in the fridge at all.

Thanks for the info! I'll be saying at the fairmont.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
One thing to note.

99% of L fares cost $2.25. The lone exception is departing O'Hare, which is $5.
Yes I did see that, and I will be departing from O'hare to Clark I believe. Is it the same for the return trip? I'm assuming its he regular 2.25. not that 2.75 is a huge difference lol

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Thanks for the info! I'll be saying at the fairmont.

ok as far as pizza you are not too far from a giordano's (some chicagoans hate it as being inferior to other deep dish places but I like it well enough). if you want a cheap dive bar with cheap greasy cheezborgers but a great story this weekend you could visit the original billy goat tavern on lower michigan ave (the original owner was the cubs curse guy).

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
My family was always a Ginos East fam, but I was in Chi a couple weeks ago for opening night of Hamilton and we had Pequods pizza. I'm converted now. It's my favorite in the city.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
Thanks to all who helped with ideas, suggestions. Had a great time in the city. Very clean, and nice people. Also caught a great couple days with the weather!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Thanks to all who helped with ideas, suggestions. Had a great time in the city. Very clean, and nice people. Also caught a great couple days with the weather!

It's by and large been a great fall weather-wise. I am sure we will pay the price for that this winter.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
hi, we want to take my son to the Blackhawks/Rangers game on Dec 9th. Whats the best site to get tickets from? Also, where would be the best part of town to book a hotel? We are flying into O'Hare and would like to use CTA to get around. So it would have to be convenient to the Blue line and also United Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad