OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As someone who lived in Evanston for several years, Dave's Italian Kitchen was my go-to for pizza/Italian.

I just looked it up and it closed. What the ****?! :cry: (perhaps relocating though)

Reactions: Bluesguru

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Hey ladies and gents. I'm in Chicago for 3 weeks for work but have lots of free time. Been here for a weekend before and loved it. Any recommendations on what to do over that time, including special events??

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Which 3 weeks?

In general, you should:
-try to visit Wrigley
-visit at least one of observation decks of Sears/Hancock towers
-take a water taxi from the loop to Chinatown
-take a walking or boat architecture tour
-see an improv show at Second City/IO or cheaper lesser known comedy theaters
-visit the Art Institute of Chicago (my favorite spots are the impressionism wing and tiny houses in the basement but ymmv)
- eat deep dish pizza and Italian beef sandwiches
-go to the Blackhawks store on Michigan Ave.
-walk along the lakefront

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Which 3 weeks?

In general, you should:
-try to visit Wrigley
-visit the Art Institute of Chicago (my favorite spots are the impressionism wing and tiny houses in the basement but ymmv)

I will add to eat some thin crust, too. Everyone's always all deep dish when in Chicago, and for good reason, but really good thin crust is also hard to find in most places in the country and it's really, really good here but doesn't get the pub or notoriety that deep dish gets. I'd recommend to do that, as well.

Reactions: Bluesfan1

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
I will add to eat some thin crust, too. Everyone's always all deep dish when in Chicago, and for good reason, but really good thin crust is also hard to find in most places in the country and it's really, really good here but doesn't get the pub or notoriety that deep dish gets. I'd recommend to do that, as well.

Thanks you two! In Chicago now and for two more weeks. Have been to Chicago before and wanted to get the local experience this time. I need to get to a cubs game next week and just missed lollapalooza.

In terms of thin crust-someone recommended Piece to me. Thoughts? As for deep dish, went to Giordano last time but didn't love it. Any other suggestions (both deep dish and beef sandwiches)?

Thanks again. For the record, the Hawks are my second favourite team :D

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks you two! In Chicago now and for two more weeks. Have been to Chicago before and wanted to get the local experience this time. I need to get to a cubs game next week and just missed lollapalooza.

In terms of thin crust-someone recommended Piece to me. Thoughts? As for deep dish, went to Giordano last time but didn't love it. Any other suggestions (both deep dish and beef sandwiches)?

Deep dish - Lu Malnatis. Sausage Patty, butter crust.

Italian style pizza - coal city

Portilos is good for beef or burgers.

I'll let someone else handle thin suggestions.

pnch40

May 31, 2015

Piece is very good. The white pizza there is amazing and I don't like white pizza.

Another is Pete's pizza up on western. They load on toppings.

First post here and it has to be about food. Fat kid at heart man!

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Tavern style - Pat's Pizza on Lincoln, Side Street Saloon on Wolfram, and Nick and Vito's on the southside.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just had Piece for the first time. We did the red, so maybe that was a mistake, but I thought it was ok, nothing special.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Which 3 weeks?

In general, you should:
-try to visit Wrigley

came to Chicago in June to watch my Cubbies at Wrigley and did most of this although I never got to see a show at Second city
just to add that we stayed in the Wicker Park area and that place was really cool, especially for the college crowd

wish I had seen this before I left!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hey guys, probably coming to Chicago in December when the Rangers play there. What's the best way to get tickets for the cheapest price? I'm looking to sit either downstairs or the club level. I'm assuming prices will be through the roof and look that way already based on StubHub prices especially since it's the Rangers and it's a Friday. Don't mind spending a decent amount (I'm used to absurd prices in NYC) but just curious if there's something cheaper than what's currently out there.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Try to get in when single game tickets go on sale to the general public. That'll probably be in the next couple of weeks.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Try to get in when single game tickets go on sale to the general public. That'll probably be in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, I just signed up for the alerts for when there's a presale too. I assume the Hawks do dynamic pricing so the single game tickets will probably be in line with secondary market pricing too, right?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Are front row, 300 level tickets a good option? I know these can be great seats in some arenas and not so hot in others.

Any thoughts?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Are front row, 300 level tickets a good option? I know these can be great seats in some arenas and not so hot in others.

Any thoughts?

The only issue is that you have to look through the glass at the edge of the railing. I have a friend with Bulls tickets 1st row sideline in the 300s that I get once or twice a season, and while the location is perfect it's annoying to look through glass the whole game. I also feel a little more cramped down there up against the wall.

I would prefer 2nd row if possible.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The only issue is that you have to look through the glass at the edge of the railing. I have a friend with Bulls tickets 1st row sideline in the 300s that I get once or twice a season, and while the location is perfect it's annoying to look through glass the whole game. I also feel a little more cramped down there up against the wall.

I would prefer 2nd row if possible.

I agree with this. I don't think they are bad seats, but it takes a little bit to get used to looking through the glass.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Deep dish - Lu Malnatis. Sausage Patty, butter crust.

Italian style pizza - coal city

Portilos is good for beef or burgers.

I'll let someone else handle thin suggestions.

You can do MUCH better than Portillos for burgers in Chicago. Au Cheval, rated the best burger in the USA for starters. I've never been and hear the line starts forming at 10am. Also Kuma's Corner for big fancy burgers. On the other side, IMO, best burger in the city (mind you i haven't tried Au Cheval) is the RHR double with cheese at Red Hot Ranch on Ashland and Barry. Very thin burgers, smashed on the griddle to form a crispy edge, special sauce and thin chopped onions, friggen fantastic!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You can do MUCH better than Portillos for burgers in Chicago. Au Cheval, rated the best burger in the USA for starters. I've never been and hear the line starts forming at 10am. Also Kuma's Corner for big fancy burgers. On the other side, IMO, best burger in the city (mind you i haven't tried Au Cheval) is the RHR double with cheese at Red Hot Ranch on Ashland and Barry. Very thin burgers, smashed on the griddle to form a crispy edge, special sauce and thin chopped onions, friggen fantastic!

I've never had Au Cheval but I've heard of lines as long as 4 hours which is why I will probably never have one. Just not worth it for me.

Kumas is very good though.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I've never had Au Cheval but I've heard of lines as long as 4 hours which is why I will probably never have one. Just not worth it for me.

Kumas is very good though.

Just stumbled upon Au Cheval by chance a couple Sundays ago when a friend had suggested Little Goat Diner for brunch but that line was super long. Because it was around 10, Au Cheval was opening a few doors down at that time, and we got in immediately. Had some interesting stuff on the menu like breakfast nachos that were super good but didn't try a burger. Will try to go back next time I'm in the city.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice on 300 seats guys. My buddy and I picked up a pair for each of the Preds and Flyers games on the 15th and 18th of October when we're in town for our 40th birthday road trip.

I see the NLCS schedule game out yesterday. How many organs will I have to sell to get seats to one of those games, if the Cubs are in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad