OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You can do MUCH better than Portillos for burgers in Chicago. Au Cheval, rated the best burger in the USA for starters. I've never been and hear the line starts forming at 10am. Also Kuma's Corner for big fancy burgers. On the other side, IMO, best burger in the city (mind you i haven't tried Au Cheval) is the RHR double with cheese at Red Hot Ranch on Ashland and Barry. Very thin burgers, smashed on the griddle to form a crispy edge, special sauce and thin chopped onions, friggen fantastic!

Kuma's is good. Expensive, but good. They're not your standard traditional burger, though. Like you said, they're big fancy burgers. What the food world would consider "gourmet burgers" I would imagine. Speaking strictly in terms of a traditional burger, I'd say Portillos is one of the better ones in the Chicago area.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Deep dish - Lu Malnatis. Sausage Patty, butter crust.

Italian style pizza - coal city

Portilos is good for beef or burgers.

I'll let someone else handle thin suggestions.

They opened up a Lou Malnati's out here in Phoenix a few months ago. Went there for the first time recently. Awesome deep dish pizza. Apparently the first location they've opened outside of Chicagoland.

We've got a pair of Portillo's as well that are doing great business.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I cracked up when I went to Scottsdale for the first time and there was a Portillo's across the street from my hotel. Like they knew I was coming.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
They opened up a Lou Malnati's out here in Phoenix a few months ago. Went there for the first time recently. Awesome deep dish pizza. Apparently the first location they've opened outside of Chicagoland.

We've got a pair of Portillo's as well that are doing great business.

Both are the best at what they do IMO.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Be hitting up your city next weekend. Going to Wrigley Sunday then to Soldier Field to watch my nephew play against the Bears. Have all day Monday before game and Tuesday to explore the sights. Any suggestions?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Weather should still be decent, so definitely hit up the museum campus and Lincoln Park Zoo if you have the chance. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and the Art Institute are all Soldier Field-adjacent. I'd also recommend an architecture tour on the Chicago River if you don't have much experience with the city.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Weather should still be decent, so definitely hit up the museum campus and Lincoln Park Zoo if you have the chance. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and the Art Institute are all Soldier Field-adjacent. I'd also recommend an architecture tour on the Chicago River if you don't have much experience with the city.

Thanks. Appreciate it

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Definitely get on the water whether it is an architectural boat tour on river and/or lake or just hopping on a water taxi. there are water taxis with stops along the river and one that goes between the museum campus and navy pier on lake michigan. things might have less regular hours because its after labor day or for sunday hours though.

Kawzee

Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Going to be back in your fine city in March, after a little quick trip in late 2014. Jam packed with trips to the UC :D Hope to do a lot more touristy stuff and sight seeing this time around! What's the weather like in March?

March 19th - Arrive into Chicago - Chicago Blackhawks vs Colorado Avalanche
March 20th -
March 21st - Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks
March 22nd - Chicago Bulls vs Detroit Pistons
March 23rd - Chicago Blackhawks vs Dallas Stars
March 24th - Chicago Bulls vs Philly 76's
March 25th - Leave

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Going to be back in your fine city in March, after a little quick trip in late 2014. Jam packed with trips to the UC :D Hope to do a lot more touristy stuff and sight seeing this time around! What's the weather like in March?

March 19th - Arrive into Chicago - Chicago Blackhawks vs Colorado Avalanche
March 20th -
March 21st - Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks
March 22nd - Chicago Bulls vs Detroit Pistons
March 23rd - Chicago Blackhawks vs Dallas Stars
March 24th - Chicago Bulls vs Philly 76's
March 25th - Leave

Superbly unpredictable! :laugh:

Seriously could be a serious snowstorm or beautiful 60 degrees and sunny.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Still haven't been to RHR despite my buddy living around the corner from the other location on Western for 3 years.

For some reason the Wester location doesn't have the same burgers as the Barry location. But, I heard that they are rectifying that and installing a griddle at the Western location soon so you should be able to get the RHR burger when you're visiting your buddy sooner rather than later.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Kuma's is good. Expensive, but good. They're not your standard traditional burger, though. Like you said, they're big fancy burgers. What the food world would consider "gourmet burgers" I would imagine. Speaking strictly in terms of a traditional burger, I'd say Portillos is one of the better ones in the Chicago area.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that respectfully. I consider Portillo's burgers to be in the same class as Culvers and other "high end" fast food places. It's much better than McDonalds, but there are literally hundreds of places in the city and suburbs where you could get a better traditional burger.

Speaking of fancy burgers, the wife and I finally got around to going to Bread and Wine restaurant on Irving Park last week. Been living in the neighborhood for 8 years and have heard great things about the place including that they have a highly rated burger. Tried it and it definitely lived up to the hype. $16 so on the expensive side, but it was delicious. My wife had a duck entree that was really good, but not as good as the burger despite costing $24. Definitely gonna go back for the burger, I think I liked it better than Kuma's.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
For some reason the Wester location doesn't have the same burgers as the Barry location. But, I heard that they are rectifying that and installing a griddle at the Western location soon so you should be able to get the RHR burger when you're visiting your buddy sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I actually read that on another board a few weeks ago. Might go to the Ashland one tomorrow, going to have a few hours to kill before flag football around there.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that respectfully. I consider Portillo's burgers to be in the same class as Culvers and other "high end" fast food places. It's much better than McDonalds, but there are literally hundreds of places in the city and suburbs where you could get a better traditional burger.

Yeah, absolutely. Get a burger at nearly any bar in the area and try to tell me it's not as good as Portillo's :laugh:

The whole Portillo's hype on everything is really due to how widely available it is and consistent they all are. I like their food, but they really don't do anything "the best".

Luke's, down on Jackson off Wells has a better beef and burger (plus a mean calzone). But they're no where near as widely known, since only people working in the Loop ever go there.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Critically important question here: Is it possible to go to a 7:30 Blackhawks game and still make an 11:00 Second City show?

What's the fastest way to get to one from the other?

Thanks!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Journalism has benefits, so I am off to Chicago from Saturday to Wednesday. Conveniently, my Flyers play you guys on Tuesday.

SO:

How is your scalping culture/prices. Pittsburgh, Philly, Nashville, even Montreal I have been able to show up to an arena around gametime and get in the door with a $50 cap. You guys have had insane success, so I don't know if that will carry over. Should I Stubhub it? I do like to keep it around $50 max, whatever the best seat I can get is. Not much for standing room.

I will have a jersey with me and I will be wearing it unless you tell me otherwise. I am from Philly so my perspective on visiting fan treatment is screwed up. I will be going alone. I am not obnoxious.

I have never been in Chicago before. I like (dwell in) smokey dive bars and have a $15/$25/$35 breakfast/lunch/dinner company food budget. What's good?

My hotel is right near the Art Institute.

Any help appreciated!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Journalism has benefits, so I am off to Chicago from Saturday to Wednesday. Conveniently, my Flyers play you guys on Tuesday.

SO:

How is your scalping culture/prices. Pittsburgh, Philly, Nashville, even Montreal I have been able to show up to an arena around gametime and get in the door with a $50 cap. You guys have had insane success, so I don't know if that will carry over. Should I Stubhub it? I do like to keep it around $50 max, whatever the best seat I can get is. Not much for standing room.

I will have a jersey with me and I will be wearing it unless you tell me otherwise. I am from Philly so my perspective on visiting fan treatment is screwed up. I will be going alone. I am not obnoxious.

I have never been in Chicago before. I like (dwell in) smokey dive bars and have a $15/$25/$35 breakfast/lunch/dinner company food budget. What's good?

My hotel is right near the Art Institute.

Any help appreciated!

There's a pair of pretty historic watering holes right near your hotel, Miller's Pub and Exchequer. Excellent wings at the latter. I've never eaten at Miller's but have always heard good things, they're known for their ribs. As far as dives go in the Loop, check out Skyride and Stocks & Blondes. (FYI, smoking is banned in IL). Monk's Pub might be up your alley as well if you like good brews and peanut shells everywhere.

Before Tuesday games I usually hit up The Beer Bistro for $5 burgers. Take the 20 (Madison) bus to Aberdeen, then hop on their shuttle to the game. It'll have a nice crowd but won't be as jammed as the bars within a half mile of the stadium.

Regarding tickets, definitely check Craigslist. You can sometimes get a better deal than the secondary sites since there's no fee. You might see some better deals come up day of as people decide they don't want to travel for an early season game, so if you can wait do it. If the Cubs are playing that could open things up a bit too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad