Confirmed with Link: Vincent Trocheck signs $5.625 x 7

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We should have won game 3 and it would have been good enough. Besides that you choose to look at the Rangers as a team that almost lost in the first round than a team that gave the two time defending champs a run for their money in the ECF. With fans like that who needs Devils fans?
LOL Ive been accused of being a homer before but never a Devils fan. We did come close to losing in both the first 2 rounds. That is what going 7 games is about but nobody was happier and more proud to win those series than I was. Sorry if realizing we went 7 games makes me a Devils fan. Ironically I have been a diehard Rangers fan from before the Devils even existed but anyways lol 😂

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think it's more to do with: As Drury and Gomez were not the elite centers they were signed to be, Trocheck compares to what Drury was with the Rangers, and the contracts were long, like Trocheck's.

The AAV is not an issue at all. If the term were 4 or 5 years this would be a homerun. But 7 years is a long time for the kind of player Trocheck is. Also, does he put us over the top? I was hoping the 2C would do that. But I think that now leans on the kids. Now, weather we win Cups or not is on if Lafreniere and Kakko reach their potential. I guess it should be that way anyway.
Again. Drury and Gomez's deals were killers for the Rangers from the minute they were signed. There are zero similarities. They don't need Trocheck to be a #1 C. If we didn't have Mika and he was our #1, I'd wholeheartedly agree. Trocheck as a #2 is a massive win.

If the term were 4-5 years you are looking at 6.5-7 million. In that case, I'm glad Drury bought down the AAV with term. The way the contract is structured makes it easily movable in years 5+. There are plenty of things to ponder/criticize. This signing isn't one of them. There were no other players available via UFA that were 1. Affordable to the Rangers and 2. Would be a game changer like the Panarin signing.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Drury is also makes moves to go for it now, and honestly he should be. You have maybe a 3 year window here with Panarin and the primes of Zibanejad etc, you go all in now with those guys, you don't wait around for another couple of years. In 5-6 years you deal with things however you need to.... but you can't just waste more years hoping to find the perfect fit that's cheap and amazing, you gotta go for it
I agree with everything you said. But Trocheck doesn't strike me as the one who will get us over the top. I don't know. I really thought Strome and Panarin had something going on. Even Copp had some chemistry with them.

When they brought in Gomez and Drury, they thought at least one would click with Jagr. It failed miserably. Neither worked well as Michael Nylander's replacement.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Gome and Trocheck were both UFAs signed to fill the 2C spot, but beyond that, how in the world does this remind you of the Gomez signing? They're very, very different players at very, very different contracts.
Gomez and Drury were brought in to replace Michael Nylander. And neither had any chemistry with Jagr. Strome and Panarin had something special. It's gonna be difficult for Trocheck to match that.

Reactions: fm

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We signed Scott Gomez and Chris Drury to $7mil + deals at a time when the cap was a fraction of what it was now. Their deals represented roughly 14% of our total cap dollars, each, so 28% roughly between both of them. Trocheck alone is going to account for only 6.7% of our cap dollars.

Panarin's contract is almost identical to the cap % as Drury/Gomez... but he puts up more points in one season than both of them did combined.

We aren't even talking apples and oranges, more like durian fruit and apples.
This comparison I made is more than just terms and salaries. Neither Drury nor Gomez had the chemistry Micheal Nylander had with Jagr. It failed miserably. It will be difficult for Trocheck to match the chemistry Strome had with the Breadman. I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me I have seen this picture before.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
LOL Ive been accused of being a homer before but never a Devils fan. We did come close to losing in both the first 2 rounds. That is what going 7 games is about but nobody was happier and more proud to win those series than I was. Sorry if realizing we went 7 games makes me a Devils fan. Ironically I have been a diehard Rangers fan from before the Devils even existed but anyways lol 😂

The 2011 Bruins went 7 games in three of four series including an OT game 7 win and a 1-0 game 7 win. The 2014 Kings went 7 in their first three rounds including being down 3-0 in one of series and OT win in game 7 in another. Maybe their fans should have focused on the close calls.

Reactions: JCProdigy

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The 2011 Bruins went 7 games in three of four series including an OT game 7 win and a 1-0 game 7 win. The 2014 Kings went 7 in their first three rounds including being down 3-0 in one of series and OT win in game 7 in another. Maybe their fans should have focused on the close calls.
Facts are facts. Id like to say we blew Pitt and Carolina away but we had 3 tough series and I enjoyed all 3.

I mean we've been one goal from losing in R1 or one goal from winning a the conference (or better) pretty much every time we make the playoffs

It's how we roll. Short series are no fun lol
That is true except the 2014 finals ot games got me so worked up I honestly feared I might have a heart attack.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'd argue this point. I like the player, but this has Dolan written all over it. Trocheck vs us was a beast. It just seems reactionary. And that concerns me. After great strides this season, now we do this?

This contract is ugly. Either immediately or later.
If Dolan was involved, Laf, Kakko, Schneider, Nils, consecutive 1sts, and Chytil would have been moved for a 1 year rentals of Kane+JTM.

Trochek fills serious voids in our top-6. I can guarantee you Dolan has no idea who Trochek is, and is probably pissed we didn’t sign Malkin to a 8 year deal.

GTFO of here with your nonsense.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Without a doubt an upgrade over Strome. Personally, though, I don't see Panarin and Trocheck being a marriage made in heaven. I think the other winger is going to have to be Panarin's new bestie while Trocheck is the one that dogs the puck on the forecheck or gets back on defense. Honestly, I think Kakko would be a great fit with Panarin because they both thrive with the puck on their stick.

For example, Panarin-Strome had Hunt and Blackwell at times the last couple of years. I see Trocheck filling that role more so than filling Strome's role.
Gut feeling. If they give Kravtsov a legit shot, he’d be the fit across from Panarin and Tro.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The Rangers tried a lot of different players in front of the new on Powerplay 2. It is clear that Gallant wanted PP2 to run similar zone style to PP1, it makes sense. Trocheck's game thrives around the net. He isn't taking Kreider's spot. I think we see Laf on PP1 and Trocheck in front of the net on PP2.

I expect the PPs to shake out like this

Kreider - Zib - Laf - Panarin - Fox

Trocheck - Chytil - Kakko - Trouba - Miller

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Trocheck also played a good amount of PK

Kreider, Zib, Trocheck, Goodrow, Chytil, Carpenter, Blais, and Hunt when he plays are our most likely PK guys this season

Reactions: NYRangers16

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Agree but this seems to be an unpopular opinion right now.

Trocheck the player is fine but not at 7 years. That's my concern, how quickly does this contract become ugly? Looking at what they had to give away just to move Nemeth, what would it take to move Trocheck? There's no history or guarantee he has any kind of chemistry with Panarin, he plays a completely different kind of game, so it's a big gamble.

I was listening to SiriusXM NHL radio today and they shared the same concerns about Trocheck.
If he is a good 2C for the first 4 years and a good to elite 3C for the last three years its fine.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
We signed Scott Gomez and Chris Drury to $7mil + deals at a time when the cap was a fraction of what it was now. Their deals represented roughly 14% of our total cap dollars, each, so 28% roughly between both of them. Trocheck alone is going to account for only 6.7% of our cap dollars.

Panarin's contract is almost identical to the cap % as Drury/Gomez... but he puts up more points in one season than both of them did combined.

We aren't even talking apples and oranges, more like durian fruit and apples.
And this doesn’t even factor in the cap increase coming in a few years. $5.6M contract will be much more tolerable and/or easy to move in the later years, especially with the bonus structure.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
The Rangers tried a lot of different players in front of the new on Powerplay 2. It is clear that Gallant wanted PP2 to run similar zone style to PP1, it makes sense. Trocheck's game thrives around the net. He isn't taking Kreider's spot. I think we see Laf on PP1 and Trocheck in front of the net on PP2.

I expect the PPs to shake out like this

Kreider - Zib - Laf - Panarin - Fox

Trocheck - Chytil - Kakko - Trouba - Miller
Would replace Kravstov and Jones for Trouba/Miller on PP2.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
This post makes so much sense most of the idiots on here will ignore it

But seriously are we really complaining about a 5.6 mil cap hit for an actual second line center.

I’ve seen some people say we could have kept Strome or Copp at the deals they signed. Both of these deals aren’t great when you consider they both aren’t as good as trocheck
The only difference in their respective contracts is a few hundred thousand dollars and 2 years. Drury and the organization aren’t planning for years 6 and 7. They want to win now and were willing to pay the premium in term only, for the best option available at this time.

The way I see it, the options in terms of “premium” were, in order best to worst:

1) give Trocheck 2 extra years
2) trade assets for another center and have to give him a larger contract extension
3) pay lesser players (Strome or Copp) the same amount of money as Trocheck for less term
4) pay Kadri

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I agree with everything you said. But Trocheck doesn't strike me as the one who will get us over the top. I don't know. I really thought Strome and Panarin had something going on. Even Copp had some chemistry with them.

When they brought in Gomez and Drury, they thought at least one would click with Jagr. It failed miserably. Neither worked well as Michael Nylander's replacement.
We don’t really need Trocheck to be the piece that gets us over the top. We have those pieces already - Zib, Panarin, Fox, K’Andre, Shesterkin…

We needed to fill a huge void with someone that fit our system needs and cap needs. Trocheck does exactly that and makes us a better team than we were with Strome in the same spot. And that team made it to the ECF. I’m not saying we’re guaranteed to win the Cup now, but no team is. That isn’t the goal in July. The goal is to make the team better than they were previously. And I think this signing did exactly that.

The trade deadline will present another major opportunity for them to add that “final piece”. Whether it’s Kane, JT Miller, or someone else…that’s when that type of player gets added.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The bottom line was Trocheck at 7 years or Copp at 5 years or Strome at 5 years. Their salaries are similar.

Copp got his from Detroit. Strome got his from the Ducks. Neither one has any hope of winning a cup in the next 2 years. I do not love the extra 2 years but we had to make a choice. Guys that we did not want for 5 years or a guy we did want for 7 years.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
"Durian has been described as the most foul-smelling fruit in the world. Its aroma has been compared to raw sewage, rotting flesh and smelly gym socks. Durian's smell is so pungent that the spiky-skinned, custard-like fruit is even banned from public places in Singapore and Malaysia."
i bet surströmming is worse

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It is impossible to know that it is Kadri for simply "a buck or two" more. We already had to pay to unload Nemeth just so we can sign Kakko and have a complete roster.
If Kadri was just a buck or 2 more he likely would have been signed by someone already. Problem for Kadri is who has the cap space he wants now? He may have to take less or go to a bad team.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad