Confirmed with Link: Vincent Trocheck signs $5.625 x 7

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Trocheck and Kreider need to be on different powerplay units. Trocheck also scores a lot of his goals in front of the net

Trocheck was miscast as a net front guy on CAR because of their personnel. His best PP year, by far, in Florida he played more around the slot and roved around. He has a really good slap shot he can take in the middle of the ice that is lost in front.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
Without a doubt an upgrade over Strome. Personally, though, I don't see Panarin and Trocheck being a marriage made in heaven. I think the other winger is going to have to be Panarin's new bestie while Trocheck is the one that dogs the puck on the forecheck or gets back on defense. Honestly, I think Kakko would be a great fit with Panarin because they both thrive with the puck on their stick.

For example, Panarin-Strome had Hunt and Blackwell at times the last couple of years. I see Trocheck filling that role more so than filling Strome's role.
Well see. Trocheck had a 75 point season with huberdeau. He’s got just as much offensive skill as strome.

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
And Trocheck actually put up more points than Huberdeau that season.
Whoever settles into 2RW is going to breakout this season and it really doesn’t matter if it’s Laf, kakko, or kravtsov. I think Laf makes the most sense on the mika line bc of how good he looked there before the TDL, but the top 2 lines are going to be much better next year.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
This comparison I made is more than just terms and salaries. Neither Drury nor Gomez had the chemistry Micheal Nylander had with Jagr. It failed miserably. It will be difficult for Trocheck to match the chemistry Strome had with the Breadman. I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me I have seen this picture before.
Have needed a left handed center. Both Gomez and Drury were Right Handed. Trochek is Right Handed passing and taking passes from a left wing. Troceck will be great with Panarin.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I was looking at Trocheck's stats and realized he takes a lot of penalties, but they are usually offset by the number of penalties he draws.

1658678347170.png

The totals include majors and misconducts (both for and against), but he doesn't have many of those and has probably drawn very close to the same number against. For his career he is a net 24 in penalties drawn vs taken, though he has taken 165 minors in 555 career games. That's an average of 1 minor every 3.36 games.

After seeing those numbers, I looked at Strome, who has a penchant for taking bad penalties.

1658678643725.png

152 minors in 621 games, so he isn't penalized quite as often (though it's still pretty often), but he has a -78 differential between penalties drawn vs taken.

I'd love to see a breakdown of penalties by zone, because it seems like Strome has taken a large number in the offensive zone. Does Trocheck take most of his in the defensive zone? I'd also like to see a breakdown of the type of penalties for both players. A roughing penalty is usually a sign of aggressive play (or aggression after the whistle), and is often offset by a matching penalty. Hooking penalties are usually the result of lazy play or getting beat, and are very rarely offset. It would be helpful to see how many powerplays other teams were given as a result of those penalties.

Does anyone know if there's a place to see those kinds of breakdowns?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I was looking at Trocheck's stats and realized he takes a lot of penalties, but they are usually offset by the number of penalties he draws.

View attachment 572205

The totals include majors and misconducts (both for and against), but he doesn't have many of those and has probably drawn very close to the same number against. For his career he is a net 24 in penalties drawn vs taken, though he has taken 165 minors in 555 career games. That's an average of 1 minor every 3.36 games.

After seeing those numbers, I looked at Strome, who has a penchant for taking bad penalties.

View attachment 572206

152 minors in 621 games, so he isn't penalized quite as often (though it's still pretty often), but he has a -78 differential between penalties drawn vs taken.

I'd love to see a breakdown of penalties by zone, because it seems like Strome has taken a large number in the offensive zone. Does Trocheck take most of his in the defensive zone? I'd also like to see a breakdown of the type of penalties for both players. A roughing penalty is usually a sign of aggressive play (or aggression after the whistle), and is often offset by a matching penalty. Hooking penalties are usually the result of lazy play or getting beat, and are very rarely offset. It would be helpful to see how many powerplays other teams were given as a result of those penalties.

Does anyone know if there's a place to see those kinds of breakdowns?
I dont mind the penalties if it means sticking up for a teammate or to change momentum. But the lazy penalties hooking holding tripping and delay of game puck over the glass are the worst. Retaliation penalties and offensive zone penalties usually always come back to hurt any team in the NHL. I wish their was a breakdown for all types of penalties, lazy ones, the ones that negate scoring chances, offensive zone penalties, penalties when it comes to sticking up for a teammate or themselves.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I dont mind the penalties if it means sticking up for a teammate or to change momentum. But the lazy penalties hooking holding tripping and delay of game puck over the glass are the worst. Retaliation penalties and offensive zone penalties usually always come back to hurt any team in the NHL. I wish their was a breakdown for all types of penalties, lazy ones, the ones that negate scoring chances, offensive zone penalties, penalties when it comes to sticking up for a teammate or themselves.
Here's a breakdown of Trocheck's penalties from last season, both regular season and playoffs:

Type of PenaltyPenaltyNumber of Penalties
MinorRoughing5
MinorDelay of Game1
MinorHooking4
MinorTripping9
MinorCrosschecking4
MinorHigh Sticking2
MinorUnsportsmanlike Behavior3
MinorInterference2
MinorIllegal Equipment1
MinorHolding2
MinorSlashing1
MinorMatching Penalties5
MajorFighting1
MajorBoarding1
MajorMatching Penalties1
Misconduct10 Minute Misconduct1

He had 5 minors in 14 playoff games, and 29 minors in 81 regular season games.

The Matching Penalties are the number of times a player on the other team got a penalty at the same time, resulting in no loss of manpower on the ice. The fighting major, obviously, had a matching penalty, and 4 of the 5 roughing penalties. There was also one case where he traded crosschecking for slashing.

There was one weird instance where Trocheck got 2 minutes for Unsportsmanlike Behavior and Sean Kuraly got a 10 minute misconduct on the same play, but no minor penalty. Trocheck's Boarding major and 10 Minute Misconduct were on the same play.

I counted 3 times when he took a penalty while on the PP, but I don't know the context of whether they were bad penalties, or to save a short handed chance against. There was one instance where he took 2 minor penalties on the same play, resulting in a 5-3 against.

Given his history of taking penalties, this is probably close to what we can expect next year.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Hoping Turk gives Kravtsov a legit (e.g. consistent) chance with Panarin-Trochek-Kravtsov. Looking for Kravy to develop some chemistry with Panarin. They are both good passers who can feed each other on their off wings and Trochek - unlike Strome - will bull his way to the net and open up space for those two.

Reactions: McSauer

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hoping Turk gives Kravtsov a legit (e.g. consistent) chance with Panarin-Trochek-Kravtsov. Looking for Kravy to develop some chemistry with Panarin. They are both good passers who can feed each other on their off wings and Trochek - unlike Strome - will bull his way to the net and open up space for those two.
This entire board, minus one loud person, is seriously sleeping on Kravtsov. If he hadn’t bounced back and forth and developed this reputation as a whiner, we’d all be sitting here excited that our potential Kaprizov has finally come over.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Not sure how 2 floaters are going to find chemistry on the same line. Trochek is going to have a lot of work to do. I highly doubt Turk gives him much of a shot on the first line.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
This entire board, minus one loud person, is seriously sleeping on Kravtsov. If he hadn’t bounced back and forth and developed this reputation as a whiner, we’d all be sitting here excited that our potential Kaprizov has finally come over.
Kaprizov is a bit high. Maybe like a Kuznetsov type. Like if you put Kratsov with Ovechkin, I'm sure he'd have 50 points.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Have you compared their KHL stats? Even adjusting for the Sedlak factor, there's quite the difference.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Kaprizov is crazy high expectations.

Kaprizov is a bit high. Maybe like a Kuznetsov type. Like if you put Kratsov with Ovechkin, I'm sure he'd have 50 points.

Have you compared their KHL stats? Even adjusting for the Sedlak factor, there's quite the difference.

I don’t expect that he’s Kaprizov. He’s not all that far off though. The point being is that he’s a really good player, who has produced quite a bit in the KHL, especially in the playoffs, and everyone just assumes he’s coming here to get traded.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Was it really that complicated to understand that it wasn’t a comparison to Kaprizov in terms of talent/style and more about the overall situation?

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I do think he is a likely candidate to be shit on here if he gets off to a slow start offensively.

That said, he does everything Strome did as well, minus the interviews, and there are a number of things he does quite a bit better.

It was a very important move- we are pretty much locked into this roster now unless some sort of big Yandle type deal with significant retention goes down.

Every GM in the league is sort of trying to figure out how to navigate this flat cap situation.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now that the dust has settled:

Strome (29) signed for $5 x 5
Copp (28) signed for $5.625 x 5
Trocheck (29) signed for $5.625 x 7

Trocheck is unquestionably the best C of the three. Glad the Rangers got him.

I still think 7 years is a tad too long. But will worry about crossing that bridge when they get to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00