Confirmed with Link: Vincent Trocheck signs $5.625 x 7

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
eh, it's just how it is now. You want to get players (including your own RFAs) to sign and stay with you? It takes term and it takes some no trade/movement clauses

if you want to compete in the NHL and market for players you can't just say "well I'm only offering 4 years and no movement clauses because we want to ship you out the second we dont' think you're performing!" because then players won't sign at all.

I think most players realize to some extent the tail end of their contract is something that might end up being moved as teams need to create space, they just want some control over it as well.
I agree with everything you said, but we had options here. We could have had Strome or even Copp for less money, less years. That's what burns me. Maybe Trocheck is a bit better, but 7 years for a 29 year old, who at best, is a 2C?

This reminds me of the Scott Gomez signing. And Gomez had a lot more going for him.

I hope it works out. Trocheck is the kind of player they value here and for good reason.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I really like Trocheck. Plays the exact kind of game you want between Panarin and Kakko and gives us a different look down the middle while also providing speed there. He can get to the dirty areas and create space, then find soft spots in coverage and finish. 7 years isn't ideal but I like the contract structure.

What I don't like is that as long as Panarin is here, this likely spells the beginning of the end for Chytil in NY. The kid line is going to get broken up to ensure Kakko and Laf get top-six minutes and Chytil is going to get stuck centering the "other guys" rotation on the 3rd line.
Chytil's days are definitely numbered but at least Trocheck is a significant upgrade over Strome/Copp. Hopefully Chytil puts together a solid season with another great postseason and the rangers can still get something good in return from the trade.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No team in the league signs big money contracts without handing out trade protection. Why would players agree to it?
There's only one reason a player would agree to it, and that's more money. And we know what the reaction to that would be here.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Well, one of those other guys is Kravtsov so Fil should break 70 points without trying, right EdJo?
In all seriousness, there are always injuries and Fil can play up at center or wing. And maybe in two years when he is a ripe old age of 24 or 25 he will supplant the 2C, whether its Trocheck or someone else at that point.
I like this post. Chytil showed his worth this post-season. He was arguably our best forward.

What are the odds Kravy gets traded before camp? I just can't see Drury bending on this. I hope I'm wrong and is given a chance.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I like this post. Chytil showed his worth this post-season. He was arguably our best forward.

What are the odds Kravy gets traded before camp? I just can't see Drury bending on this. I hope I'm wrong and is given a chance.
I think a lot will depend not only of Kravs numbers, but his attitude and fit on the team. I think he can be a really good top 6 forward so I hope he succeeds. End of the day Drury wants to win, I think he's now secure and settled in enough as GM that he can be flexible in this case.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I agree with everything you said, but we had options here. We could have had Strome or even Copp for less money, less years. That's what burns me. Maybe Trocheck is a bit better, but 7 years for a 29 year old, who at best, is a 2C?

This reminds me of the Scott Gomez signing. And Gomez had a lot more going for him.

I hope it works out. Trocheck is the kind of player they value here and for good reason.
Strome for less money is NOT the win you think it is. That would be a terrible option.

Copp signed for the exact same dollar amount. No guarantee he would have taken less term in NY.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Chytil's days are definitely numbered but at least Trocheck is a significant upgrade over Strome/Copp. Hopefully Chytil puts together a solid season with another great postseason and the rangers can still get something good in return from the trade.
If anything it's more likely that CK, Trouba and or Goodrow are dealt than it is for Chytil

Having three responsible centers in Mika, Vincent and Chytil is the direction the team need to go in.

"Young players get better. Old players get older."
Stan Bowman

As the youngsters mature and evolve, you need to start moving the old stallions getting ready for the glue factory.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I think a lot will depend not only of Kravs numbers, but his attitude and fit on the team. I think he can be a really good top 6 forward so I hope he succeeds. End of the day Drury wants to win, I think he's now secure and settled in enough as GM that he can be flexible in this case.
If he does have an attitude problem, he'll have no future here. You could work through the physical aspects of the game, much more easily than the mental aspects. I think it's only a matter of time, Tony D ends up traveling down Sean Avery boulevard. I'm hoping Kravy he is not the basket case of those two.

Reactions: bhamill

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
No team in the league signs big money contracts without handing out trade protection. Why would players agree to it?

It's rare, but it's not unheard of. The problem that the Rangers ran into was giving one to Trouba. It's far less common for an RFA to get those clauses, but Trouba landed a pretty big NMC. Here is a list of RFA signings sorted by cap hit. The names above Trouba with a NMC are McDavid, Eichel, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, and Draisaitl. That's a mistake IMO, and having that $8M be immovable for the next 2 years isn't great.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Strome for less money is NOT the win you think it is. That would be a terrible option.
It might have been better for the team's future. Less money, less years is always a good thing for the team.

I could understand the need to upgrade, but Trocheck is no Malkin.

Obviously Gallant had a lot of input into getting Trocheck. And so, that could be a good sign, as the coach knows his stuff. So I'm not totally against this. Just that there were options in this case.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It might have been better for the team's future. Less money, less years is always a good thing for the team.

I could understand the need to upgrade, but Trocheck is no Malkin.
Trocheck is a guy that can be successful at his normal pace, independent of playing with guy likes like Panarin. Strome regresses from a 60-70 point pace to a 40-45 point guy. Not to mention, Trocheck is a significant upgrade on faceoffs. All around this signing is a major win for the team.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It's rare, but it's not unheard of. The problem that the Rangers ran into was giving one to Trouba. It's far less common for an RFA to get those clauses, but Trouba landed a pretty big NMC. Here is a list of RFA signings sorted by cap hit. The names above Trouba with a NMC are McDavid, Eichel, Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, and Draisaitl. That's a mistake IMO, and having that $8M be immovable for the next 2 years isn't great.

You can't give a player a NTC/NMC in his RFA years. That's why it's rare. Lots of those contracts only cover RFA years and can't have clauses. Some of them that do (Matthews, Werenski, Svechnikov, etc) don't show up on that chart because they haven't reached the UFA years that have clauses.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
You can't give a player a NTC/NMC in his RFA years. That's why it's rare. Lots of those contracts only cover RFA years and can't have clauses. Some of them that do (Matthews, Werenski, Svechnikov, etc) don't show up on that chart because they haven't reached the UFA years that have clauses.

Good to know - thanks!

Reactions: Thirty One

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Trocheck is a guy that can be successful at his normal pace, independent of playing with guy likes like Panarin. Strome regresses from a 60-70 point pace to a 40-45 point guy. Not to mention, Trocheck is a significant upgrade on faceoffs. All around this signing is a major win for the team.
We shall see. But I just keep thinking of the Scott Gomez and Drury signings. Gallant has his fingerprints all over this, so it might turn out be a good thing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If true, means he either wanted to play in NYC and/or with Gallant. It's not like Carolina isn't a contender themselves.
I have no reason to believe it is not true. Carolina offered an 8 year extension during the season at a lower rate. Vinnie said no. He wanted to try FA.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Right or wrong it seems clear the Rangers think Trocheck is a better option at center than Strome or Copp and that's why they went for him. 7 years seems scary but barring another world calamity the cap should be MUCH higher at that point and he can be moved if necessary. He's also the kind of player that will be effective as a 3rd line center as he starts slowing down

Drury is also makes moves to go for it now, and honestly he should be. You have maybe a 3 year window here with Panarin and the primes of Zibanejad etc, you go all in now with those guys, you don't wait around for another couple of years. In 5-6 years you deal with things however you need to. Ideally the cap will be going up a lot, players can be moved as their movement clauses change (Kreider, Trouba) young players become the drivers of the team (Laf, etc) and you continue to back fill with other guys you've drafted, but you can't just waste more years hoping to find the perfect fit that's cheap and amazing, you gotta go for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad