Value of: Vince Dunn

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
What do you think Dunn is today and what do you think his ceiling is? (example a first pairing D #1D, second pairing D #4, etc.)

My opinion of him is; CURRENTLY: a 3rd pairing D #5D (anchor) who can be very serviceable on the #2PP unit, CEILING: a 2nd pairing D #4 (maybe a low #3),

Honestly, he's left handed Damon severson right now and I think that's a fair projection moving forward

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I’d be leery to give up a first for him right now.

We still don’t know the long term effects of covid (some fit people have had troubling side effects up to months after) so I’d approach it with the same caution as someone with a concussion history for example

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What do you think Dunn is today and what do you think his ceiling is? (example a first pairing D #1D, second pairing D #4, etc.)

My opinion of him is; CURRENTLY: a 3rd pairing D #5D (anchor) who can be very serviceable on the #2PP unit, CEILING: a 2nd pairing D #4 (maybe a low #3),

He appears to be...
  • 23.9 year old LHD who just played his 3rd full NHL season.
  • Production: I see him as a 10g + 20a = 30p (give or take a few) player
    • 2020: TOTAL: 71 gp -- 9g+ 14a = 23p, ES: 5g + 8a = 13p (3rd on the Blues). PP: 4g + 6a = 10p
    • 2019: TOTAL: 78gp -- 12g + 23a = 35p, ES: 9g + 18a = 27p, PP: 3g + 5a = 8p
    • 2018: TOTAL: 75gp -- 5g + 19a = 24p, ES: 3g + 15a = 18p, PP: 2g + 4a = 6p
  • 2020 - TOI/g -- 16:16 Total (6th for D on the Blues), 14:43 ES, 1:30 PP, 0:03 SH ... looks like a 3rd pairing D ice time on an average LHD defence.
  • excellent skater
  • decent puck mover
  • average defensively, while getting sheltered minutes
  • not physical
  • doesn't block shots
I mean the Blues left side on D is not that strong... I would expect Dunn to get more playing time, if he earned it.

You say to make your best offer that includes a 2020 1st round pick... how much more are you expecting? (roughly)

What type of deal do you think he will be looking for or is worth? Give me a couple scenarios... 2 year deal and 6 year deal. This would play a major factor on how much he is worth.
He’s a good #5 rn, playing sheltered minutes. He probably tops out as a good offensive minded #4 that’s the second best player on the second pairing.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Once again I'm not sure what your issue is. This is a value of vince dunn. If you are not offering value then why are you responding?

This is a public forum. If someone was to post:

"Make your best offer for Travis Dermott that includes a 2020 1st round pick. There is no dumps coming back or going with Dermott."

And then spent the whole time bitching that only people who are willing to meet that ridiculous criteria can post in this thread it would be a laughing stock.

Travis Dermott is younger than Dunn, less sheltered than Dunn despite playing behind far better D on the left side than Dunn does. Dermott is far better defensively. In fact Blues coaching staff has so little trust in Dunn that they picked up Scandella around the trade deadline to further shelter and reduce Dunn's minutes. Dunn is better offensively than Dermott, but Dermott has been more productive than Dunn at 5v5.

Dermott also had the same ridiculous analytical numbers when he was sheltered to the degree Dunn has been. The same thing happens with a couple highly sheltered 3rd-pairing D on here every year. The same group of people go gaga for them and then forget about them 2 years later when it is realized that their analytics numbers were only due to extreme sheltering and they can't handle heavier deployment.

You will probably find the odd poster on here who will "offer" a first plus, but no GM will because they live in reality.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
A good goalie is completely different than one of the most sheltered 3rd-pairing Ds in the league - and still that sheltered at 23 years old.

Lol, sheltered implies he's had it easy. But it's way more difficult when he's paired out there with Edmundson, Faulk, or Bortuzzo the past 2 years than playing with one of our top RDs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Lol, sheltered implies he's had it easy. But it's way more difficult when he's paired out there with Edmundson, Faulk, or Bortuzzo the past 2 years than playing with one of our top RDs.

Astronomically sheltered is now more difficult than non-sheltered. Have we reached peak-ridiculous? I doubt it.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Astronomically sheltered is now more difficult than non-sheltered. Have we reached peak-ridiculous? I doubt it.

You're talking about competition. What I'm talking about is going out there with cement skates, turnover machine Edmundson or Faulk who has trouble with even the idea of defense at times versus playing with Parayko who is one of the very best defensive defensemen in the league. But maybe that's a hard difference to grasp for someone who clearly gets his hockey opinions off of Twitter graphs....

Sensfourlife

Aug 22, 2020
From the Sens I’d give Islanders first round pick and Logan Brown.

Dunn will be a good top 3-4 dman for many years.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
  • not physical
  • doesn't block shots
I mean the Blues left side on D is not that strong... I would expect Dunn to get more playing time, if he earned it.

First of all, "not physical" is pretty bad. Not sure how many fans you'd get to agree with that assessment. But also, it doesn't take into account styles. Like Gunnarsson who goes between not dressing and being paired with Petro on our "first pair", because Gunnar is more of a stay at home defenseman and Petro plays up like a forward constantly. And they have chemistry. Doesn't make Gunnar a 1st pairing D.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You're talking about competition. What I'm talking about is going out there with cement skates, turnover machine Edmundson or Faulk who has trouble with even the idea of defense at times versus playing with Parayko who is one of the very best defensive defensemen in the league. But maybe that's a hard difference to grasp for someone who clearly gets his hockey opinions off of Twitter graphs....

Oh, its so tough going up against fourth liners. If only he was going up against McDavid and Mackinnon it would be so, so much easier.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Oh, its so tough going up against fourth liners. If only he was going up against McDavid and Mackinnon it would be so, so much easier.

Which was basically your original post. How those graphs have failed you....

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Which was basically your original post. How those graphs have failed you....

Imagine being so demented that you whine about how hard it is for a third-pairing D to face the league's easiest competition while playing with Justin Faulk.

When the Blues coaching staff actually trusts Dunn enough to let him out against even slightly decent competition then we can talk about Dunn being worth anything in the real world.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Imagine being so demented that you whine about how hard it is for a third-pairing D to face the league's easiest competition while playing with Justin Faulk.

When the Blues coaching staff actually trusts Dunn enough to let him out against even slightly decent competition then we can talk about Dunn being worth anything in the real world.

Imagine acting like pairing with Faulk or Edmundson is an easy assignment. To think the staff "doesn't trust him" when they play him every game, versus Edmundson and Gunnar who were our 7D who didn't dress and was paied with Petro "top pairing" even though our 2nd pairing draws the most difficult match-ups. So Berube "trusted" Eddy or Gunnar or Bort, just not to play every game, but doesn't trust the guy that never sat when healthy. Got it. Makes total sense. To play with Petro, you have to play back which doesn't suit Dunn as well. 2hich is part of the reason why the Faulk doesn't work particularly well with either Petro or Dunn. But you wouldn't know that, because you're just a guy in here looking at numbers on a table and pretending he watches our team. Totally had me fooled.

I'm beginning to think Colt is right. Just a troll.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Imagine acting like pairing with Faulk or Edmundson is an easy assignment.

whine, whine, whine. He played with Edmundson for fewer than 100 minutes out of over 3000 career 5v5 minutes. You would think that you would have the slightest f***ing clue about what you were whining about before you spent all day whining about it.

Dunn is just not a D who can be trusted playing against anyone except the most sheltered competition. You might be able to fool some posters on here to dramatically overpay for him, but posters on here don't matter - NHL GMs and coaches know what he is and what he is not - including the ones in St. Louis which is why they, correctly, shelter him like crazy.

Full-time D more sheltered than Dunn last season (at 5v5, min 700 TOI):

Brad Hunt and Josh Brown

It's embarrassing to think that is worth close to a first - let alone a first+.

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
whine, whine, whine. He played with Edmundson for fewer than 100 minutes out of over 3000 career 5v5 minutes. You would think that you would have the slightest f***ing clue about what you were whining about before you spent all day whining about it.

Dunn is just not a D who can be trusted playing against anyone except the most sheltered competition. You might be able to fool some posters on here to dramatically overpay for him, but posters on here don't matter - NHL GMs and coaches know what he is and what he is not - including the ones in St. Louis which is why they, correctly, shelter him like crazy.

Brad Hunt and Josh Brown

So would Dunn for a 3rd be more fair in your opinion or is he add on fodder with a pick going out?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So would Dunn for a 3rd be more fair in your opinion or is he add on fodder with a pick going out?

I said in post #23 that a late second is about what he is worth. If he was a RHD he would get more, but there not a ton of teams who are looking for the kind of D Dunn is.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I said in post #23 that a late second is about what he is worth. If he was a RHD he would get more, but there not a ton of teams who are looking for the kind of D Dunn is.
Perfect. You've established what you perceive as his value. We Blues fans don't agree and feel he is worth more. That should be the end of the discussion.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Perfect. You've established what you perceive as his value. We Blues fans don't agree and feel he is worth more. That should be the end of the discussion.

It would be if Blues posters stop replying to my posts with obvious lies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dunn is an RFA, right? What his next contract going to look like? Three to four years at 2 to 3 million per? I still don’t get why the Blues would trade this guy, but would they want no money coming back?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils need LHD badly and Dunn fits the rebuild timetable for age.
I can see the Devils offering pick #18 or #20 depending on who is on the board still at those spots. Not sure if they would have the luxury of waiting that long before offering those picks though .

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Brad Hunt and Josh Brown

Hmmm...so you cherry-picked Edmundson out of 4 names because I'm guessing that's who showed up lowest on the table of stats after sorting. AGAIN, I totally believe you know tons about this team that you only seem to be spouting numbers and extreme assertions about. Crazy for a guy who knows tons about Dunn and the team that I never see you post in any of these Dunn threads except now to bash the guy that we have no shortage of people wanting. Who is out here asking for Gunnar? Does Chief really "trust" Gunnar in first pairing role if he doesn't play every game and is our projected 7D again next year? And again, he doesn't trust the guy he plays EVERY game when healthy? Do we trust Faulk playing on his off hand and as probably the worst defensive defenseman we saw last season? Or Eddy the year before that with Petro on first pairing before he played himself to third pairing before he played himself to the press box? Because Dunn was better than both of them the last 2 seasons but you're trying really hard to make it seem like he wasn't and Berube and Co. think he's a bum when really he just doesn't fit stylistically with Petro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad