Confirmed with Link: Ville Pokka Signs ELC

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
My only concern with Pokka is the smaller ice surface. That will be the adjustment that might take time for him. Griff has a big advantage being that he has been playing in north america. Griff at the moment is more prepared for the NHL than Pokka. Chances of Pokka making the Isles out of camp would be a longshot. People keep forgetting about Donovan too. Donovan will make this team.
I'd like to forget about Donovan. Hate to say it but I'd rather have Strait or Carkner in our bottom pairing than Donovan. I think Strait will have a come back year if he can stay healthy. There's not a lot of upside but he's a good third pairing guy and he can move a lot better than Carkner.

Last edited:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I'd like to forget about Donovan. Hate to say it but I'd rather have Strait or Carkner in our bottom pairing than Donovan.

you don't hate to say it. you love to say it. it's every other post from you. it's like a broken record. so boring. just do the board a favor and add it to your signature, so you don't have to waste your time typing it 12 times a day. and we don't have to read the same post over and over again.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I'd like to forget about Donovan. Hate to say it but I'd rather have Strait or Carkner in our bottom pairing than Donovan. I think Strait will have a come back year if he can stay healthy. There's not a lot of upside but he's a good third pairing guy and he can move a lot better than Carkner.

I agree, Donovan sucks and never showed anything positive this past year IMO. I also didn't see much good from him at the WC's. I'd stick with Strait easily over both Donovan and Carkner.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I agree, Donovan sucks and never showed anything positive this past year IMO. I also didn't see much good from him at the WC's. I'd stick with Strait easily over both Donovan and Carkner.
I don't think he's so bad that we should give up on him but I don't think he's done enough to deserve a one way contract. Give him his qualifying offer and send him back to BP. It gives us some more depth at D, JMO, but I guess some on here don't like to read it.:sarcasm:

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he's so bad that we should give up on him but I don't think he's done enough to deserve a one way contract. Give him his qualifying offer and send him back to BP. It gives us some more depth at D, JMO, but I guess some on here don't like to read it.:sarcasm:

Can't send him back, some team will claim him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'm not sure Carkner and Strait should be lumped together. I don't think a healthy Strait is a liability. Carkner, OTOH, now has trouble skating backwards. I really want to like the guy and feel like I've been giving him a pass for a while, but other than the ability to fight, he really doesn't bring anything to the table. He's not even able to move a guy away from the front of the net without taking a penalty.

I would much rather have Donovan as the #7/8 dman instead of Carkner. If we miss out on the top FA dmen, we can sign a guy like Matt Greene, and have Strait and Donovan in the press box most nights and roll with this:

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Viz
Hickey - Greene

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure Carkner and Strait should be lumped together. I don't think a healthy Strait is a liability. Carkner, OTOH, now has trouble skating backwards. I really want to like the guy and feel like I've been giving him a pass for a while, but other than the ability to fight, he really doesn't bring anything to the table. He's not even able to move a guy away from the front of the net without taking a penalty.

I would much rather have Donovan as the #7/8 dman instead of Carkner. If we miss out on the top FA dmen, we can sign a guy like Matt Greene, and have Strait and Donovan in the press box most nights and roll with this:

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Viz
Hickey - Greene

agree that Carkner goes before Donovan. especially if we can land a gritty guy, like Morris. did Carkner even fight last year? he just seemed to growl and swear a lot. i can't remember. when Carkner was on the ice, i was holding my breath. i'm old. that's not good for me ;)

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester

Please tell me your kidding. Carkner will be waived at one point. too much of a liability. I liked Strait during his first season but Im not crazy about him after this season. I dont know if its because of who he was paired with or if he just plain stinks. If anyone is on the cusp of being sent down its these two. At least Donovan brings an offensive flair to him. He just needs to be paired with a defensive minded defenseman.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

You'd rather give up on a 24 year old rookie defenseman with a whopping 52 NHL games played and play Carkner over him? Wow.

It's as if some people have never seen a professional player improve from his rookie season. Shocking, I know, but young players can actually grow and learn and get better. Carkner is going one way... down, if he isn't at rock bottom already.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
That's not a given but it's possible. It's certainly not a reason to give him a one way contract, no big loss.

Well, it kinda is.

I don't think he's waiver exempt. So, it really doesn't matter whether he has a one way or two way contract in that regard. In fact, the one way might be a minor deterrent to being claimed if indeed the Isles decide to waive him to Bridgeport for whatever reason.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Well, it kinda is.

I don't think he's waiver exempt. So, it really doesn't matter whether he has a one way or two way contract in that regard. In fact, the one way might be a minor deterrent to being claimed if indeed the Isles decide to waive him to Bridgeport for whatever reason.

I think if the Islander can get him to sign a 2-way deal where he makes less then 75k in the AHL he can go through waivers, else he is waiver eligible.

My guess is if we send him down some team will take a chance

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pokka is exempt from waivers. Per CBA all elcs are two way, waiver exempt. Rookie contracts are identical gm just fills in bonus, salary amounts. Pokka will turn 20 in June so the contract kicks in on July 1st.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Pokka is exempt from waivers. Per CBA all elcs are two way, waiver exempt. Rookie contracts are identical gm just fills in bonus, salary amounts. Pokka will turn 20 in June so the contract kicks in on July 1st.

I thought they were talking about Donovan for some reason

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
agree that Carkner goes before Donovan. especially if we can land a gritty guy, like Morris. did Carkner even fight last year? he just seemed to growl and swear a lot. i can't remember. when Carkner was on the ice, i was holding my breath. i'm old. that's not good for me ;)

Hopefully we waive Carkner or he gets dealt for a conditional 7th. If Carkner gets sent to Bridgeport we should make him play forward, he could be some muscle for kids down there without taking away icetime and it would give him some versatility to play on the 4th line if Boulton gets hurt.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hopefully we waive Carkner or he gets dealt for a conditional 7th. If Carkner gets sent to Bridgeport we should make him play forward, he could be some muscle for kids down there without taking away icetime and it would give him some versatility to play on the 4th line if Boulton gets hurt.

I much rather have Carkner as our 8th defensemen then Pokka. There is a few games each year(mainly against slower, bigger teams) that putting Carkner in the lineup won't hurt(especially given how small our defense is).

The only way keeping Carkner on the 23 man roster hurts us is if we sign a UFA forward and we decide to have 14 forwards(we currently have 13) 7 defensemen and 2 goalies.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I much rather have Carkner as our 8th defensemen then Pokka. There is a few games each year(mainly against slower, bigger teams) that putting Carkner in the lineup won't hurt(especially given how small our defense is).

The only way keeping Carkner on the 23 man roster hurts us is if we sign a UFA forward and we decide to have 14 forwards(we currently have 13) 7 defensemen and 2 goalies.

I don't want Carkner or Pokka in the NHL next year. I want Snow to actually do his job and land a UFA dman.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't want Carkner or Pokka in the NHL next year. I want Snow to actually do his job and land a UFA dman.

Even if we sign a UFA defensemen, Carkner slots perfectly into that 8th spot. Every now and then we will need that guy who can drop the gloves, sometimes 2.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Well, it kinda is.

It certainly does make a difference. Who cares about waivers, if he earns a spot in training camp then he stays if not then you waive him and if he's claimed so what. If he's not claimed then the Islanders aren't commited to paying him a big salary in BP. Just like Nillson, he really hasn't done enough at the NHL to warrant a one way contract, IMO.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think if the Islander can get him to sign a 2-way deal where he makes less then 75k in the AHL he can go through waivers, else he is waiver eligible.

I don't think that's true. Two way vs one way contracts only have to do with pay level in the AHL vs the NHL. It has nothing to do with waivers, as far as I know.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It certainly does make a difference. Who cares about waivers, if he earns a spot in training camp then he stays if not then you waive him and if he's claimed so what.

Well, the Isles probably would want to keep him in case of injuries, etc. He's still learning the NHL game. I don't think, 50 games into his NHL career, they're ready to cut bait on a guy they've been developing for the last few years. At least, I would hope they're not that fickle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad