Confirmed with Link: Ville Pokka Signs ELC

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I don't want Carkner or Pokka in the NHL next year. I want Snow to actually do his job and land a UFA dman.
We still need a LW for line one, along with a top 4 defenseman. Pokka may well be third pairing right out of the box, but I want him to force his way into the lineup. I would like to see an experienced NHL gm acquiring the defenseman and winger, and a President of Hockey Operations who was not hired for walking down a hall.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Suspect he'll be playing in Finland next season.

Agree. The Islanders will be very heavy on defense at the AHL level. Optioning back a Defensive Player of the Year nominate to his Finnish club will be the easy choice. Unless he makes a case for being a quick call up, he should be back in Finland.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
He'll be able to play for his team in Finland, Bridgeport is stacked. At least he'll be able to have a spot over there and play, thus not hindering his development.

It's going to be important to watch how Pokka transitions on the North American ice compared to over there in Europe.

Pokka's going to be a solid #4 defense men. RHD, and if he pans out, he is going to be a solid d man on our 2nd pair for a long time.

nickel7168

Apr 16, 2014
Centreville, VA
Sorry to ask...what is the rule here regarding July 1 for those of us who have forgotten? Do teams have 2 years to get guys signed...is that it?
What happens if 2012 draftees they are not signed by July1?
I ask because not just Jesse Graham is still unsigned from 2012, but I believe Jake Bischoff, Doyle Somerby, & Sebastien Collberg were all unsigned draftees from 2012. And what about Robbie Russo from 2011? Is he no longer available? I know that Kirill Petrov is from 2008 and Mikko Koskinen is from 2009. So what is the limit on the Isles rights here? :help:

Found the answer to my own question today..................

"Prospect Jesse Graham Signs Three-Year Deal
May 31st, 2014 10:52 pm

Saginaw Spirit defender Jesse Graham agreed to a three-year entry level deal with the Islanders today, the deadline for the team to sign non-college players from the 2012 draft.

Graham’s signing means the Islanders have now signed all of their 2012 picks save for two. If you recall, that 2012 draft was the one where the Islanders selected entirely defenders. The two remaining are Doyle Somerby and Jake Bischoff, who are taking the longer-term Anders Lee route, as they are in college and don’t need to be signed until they leave school.

Graham split this season in the OHL between Saginaw and Niagara, having been traded by the latter in the fall. Between the two, he scored 54 points in 66 games. He also got a quick trial with the Sound Tigers at the end of the year and put up 4 points in 7 games there. "

http://islanderspointblank.com/prospects/prospect-jesse-graham-signs-three-year-deal/

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
I just realized, it's going to be really boring around here now that Halak and Pokka have both signed.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Draft now.

If Snow somehow acquires a veteran 1-year stop gap RD before the draft, all you idiots can eat free at my place in Boston. Gotta get to Boston though. ;)

OOOOHHH! i didnt know there was a islanders faction in boston, good to know im not the only one:yo:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Is anyone able to give an update on how Pokka is tracking? Did he have a good rookie camp?
Eliteprospects page seems to think he'll play in the A this year, is this correct?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is anyone able to give an update on how Pokka is tracking? Did he have a good rookie camp?
Eliteprospects page seems to think he'll play in the A this year, is this correct?

No real updates from our rookie training camp. In terms of were he plays I heard conflicting stories of him playing in the AHL or going back to Europe(assuming he doesn't make the big team).

As it stands now Islanders have an overload of first and second year d-prospects coming to camp so it's believed they might let him play 1 more year in Europe to give him(and other guys) more time. All that being said he is better or more experienced then most or defense prospects so Islanders might want him in Bridgeport for call up purposes

In terms of our defense

NHL
De Haan
Hamonic
Visnovsky
Hickey
Strait
Carkner
Donovan
Brennan

Rookies(Bridgeport)
Reinhart
Pulock
Pokka
Czuczman
Pelech
Mayfield
Pedan
Graham
Ness
Leduc

Off this group Reinhart probably most likely to make the Islanders or be first call up if he is in Bridgeport but I think experience gives Pokka an edge over Pulock or Czuczman in terms of mid season call up.

My guess is unless the Islanders and Pokka came to an agreement that if he doesn't play in NY he gets to go back to Finland he will play in Bridgeport this year

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
No real updates from our rookie training camp. In terms of were he plays I heard conflicting stories of him playing in the AHL or going back to Europe(assuming he doesn't make the big team).

As it stands now Islanders have an overload of first and second year d-prospects coming to camp so it's believed they might let him play 1 more year in Europe to give him(and other guys) more time. All that being said he is better or more experienced then most or defense prospects so Islanders might want him in Bridgeport for call up purposes

In terms of our defense

NHL
De Haan
Hamonic
Visnovsky
Hickey
Strait
Carkner
Donovan
Brennan

Rookies(Bridgeport)
Reinhart
Pulock
Pokka
Czuczman
Pelech
Mayfield
Pedan
Graham
Ness
Leduc

Off this group Reinhart probably most likely to make the Islanders or be first call up if he is in Bridgeport but I think experience gives Pokka an edge over Pulock or Czuczman in terms of mid season call up.

My guess is unless the Islanders and Pokka came to an agreement that if he doesn't play in NY he gets to go back to Finland he will play in Bridgeport this year

Thanks for the info!
What's his potential? 2nd pairing d-man? Cheers

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Thanks for the info!
What's his potential? 2nd pairing d-man? Cheers

Best not to ask a fan of a team what a player potential because they usually give you best case scenario.

Best Case would be his offense translates well in the NHL and he is a 40+ point 2 way defensemen, more likely scenario is 25+ point two way guy(which would be more 2nd pair level)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I've seen quite a bit of Pokka in recent years and my take is that, despite his success in the SM-Liiga, he isn't anything close to being NHL-ready.

This might be disappointing for some, but the kid is the type of player who is also going to need some major transition time to North America once he takes that step.

I'd love to see him in Bridgeport, but my feeling is that even there he would have a real tough season ahead of him and wouldn't get nearly the type of ice time and responsibility he can get for his Finnish club.

As such, I agree with this.

Of this group Reinhart probably most likely to make the Islanders or be first call up if he is in Bridgeport but I think experience gives Pokka an edge over Pulock or Czuczman in terms of mid season call up.

Many may be surprised, but from what I saw in his end-of-the-season debut, Church is a good bit ahead of Pokka right now. He's older though, so this isn't too much of a knock.

This is the likely scenario.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd love to see him in Bridgeport, but my feeling is that even there he would have a real tough season ahead of him and wouldn't get nearly the type of ice time and responsibility he can get for his Finnish club.

Even if he has a tougher year than he hopes, I still would much rather see him in BP this year so he can get used to the big ice, NA game and generally get acclimated to being in the US. There's going to be some culture shock and adjustments to being in a new country. Might as well get that over with sooner rather than later.

And if the year goes better than hoped and he gets a call up in Feb/March, even better. But if I had to guess, Mayfield/Church/Pulock will get the call before him.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Even if he has a tougher year than he hopes, I still would much rather see him in BP this year so he can get used to the big ice, NA game and generally get acclimated to being in the US. There's going to be some culture shock and adjustments to being in a new country. Might as well get that over with sooner rather than later.

And if the year goes better than hoped and he gets a call up in Feb/March, even better. But if I had to guess, Mayfield/Church/Pulock will get the call before him.

How hard is it to get acclimated to the NA ice??? I mean cmon.. its called training and practice. You dont really make any major change to your game. If anything, this helps a defensemen as their is less ice to cover. People on this board make it sound like he is trading in a football field for a phone booth.

I personally see him in Bridgeport as he blows away mayfield and church. Pulock I wanna see cause of his slap shot but I dont see him going back to Finland. He will be called up by January.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
How hard is it to get acclimated to the NA ice??? I mean cmon.. its called training and practice. You dont really make any major change to your game. If anything, this helps a defensemen as their is less ice to cover. People on this board make it sound like he is trading in a football field for a phone booth.

I personally see him in Bridgeport as he blows away mayfield and church. Pulock I wanna see cause of his slap shot but I dont see him going back to Finland. He will be called up by January.

I could see it taking a bit of time. He is used to playing on a larger rink. That means he is used to having more time and playing people with different angles. I agree, though, I would hope it wouldn't take a whole season, but it is bound to take a couple dozen games before he is really comfortable.

startainfection*

On the large ice crease clearing dmen are no where close to as important, the game is way faster from the hash marks down on NA ice because that's how goals are scored here

I really hope he is willing to play in bport, it will get him used to that aspect of the game and he will have the potential of being called up, it's not like the ahl is a bad league by any means either

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I like what I saw from Czurczman at the end of the year.... I wouldn't be surprised if he beat out Hickey in camp.

Beat out HICKEY? :laugh:

Hickey was the best defenseman on the team last year. Not close.

Don't give me de Haan either. They are comparable defenceman and de haan hopefully leaps past him this season.

Regardless, it's not worth debating at this point as they along Hamonic are the only true locks on the blue line. (I guess we know carkner is going to waste a roster spot too). Viz can drop at anytime, and the rest are unproven.

Moral of the story is Czuczman might beat someone out at camp but it won't be Hickey. I'll make any wager you or anyone else is comfortable with.

Fwiw I don't see what a lot of others see in Czuczman. He's tall and a good skater with nice mobility. His crease coverage was HORRIFIC. His reads (defensively) were piss poor. I give him the benefit of the doubt being a college kid without camp and having to make a huge jump.... but he has a lot more to prove before we can see him as a legitimate answer on the blue line. Especially in place of Hickey who is probably the most intelligent/mobile defenceman the team has (de haan being a close 2nd). Reinhart is brilliant too but lacks experience and mobility.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
For those of you who had seen him play... would anyone agree?

Hickey = Don Sweeney

The retired former Bruin was nothing amazing. Also on the small size. But he went on to a very respectable career playing over 1,000 games. I'm not sure what will become of Hickey on the Islanders. But when all is said and done I do believe Hickey will end up with a solid and long NHL career.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
For those of you who had seen him play... would anyone agree?

Hickey = Don Sweeney

The retired former Bruin was nothing amazing. Also on the small size. But he went on to a very respectable career playing over 1,000 games. I'm not sure what will become of Hickey on the Islanders. But when all is said and done I do believe Hickey will end up with a solid and long NHL career.

Not a bad comparison. Sweeney was on a lot of those cupless Bourque teams. Played solidly in a time when the game was very different.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Dont want to go off topic. Hickey is so underrated, his size does hurt him though when the game gets chippy (playoffs). Love him though, dont get me wrong. Him and Vis together are a match made in heaven. I feel like Griff has a very similar style to Hickey. Both smart and can play with anyone more or less.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Dont want to go off topic. Hickey is so underrated, his size does hurt him though when the game gets chippy (playoffs). Love him though, dont get me wrong. Him and Vis together are a match made in heaven. I feel like Griff has a very similar style to Hickey. Both smart and can play with anyone more or less.

Its not an absolute necessity but it would be nice to have Hickey paired with Reinhart to give that pairing some size. A Viz/Hickey pairing frightens the hell out of me solely from a size perspective. I can't imagine those guys adequately handling a Lucic or even a Nash (won't mention a Getzlaf/Perry duo as we don't really play them). I understand that size isn't everything and positioning and technique sometimes rule the day, but Hickey really got pushed around when he played in the playoffs. He's grown (experience-wise and possibility in weight too) since then, but its hard to imagine 2 guys with slight builds banging against the bruisers of the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad