Confirmed with Link: Ville Pokka Signs ELC

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Anything else that has to be done before July 1?

Woud like us to sign Jesse Graham, but I am guessing we have no interest in doing so at this point.

And I suppose before July 1, we should probably also draft some guys.

This is great news though, glad Ville is locked up.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I just realized, it's going to be really boring around here now that Halak and Pokka have both signed.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Draft now.

If Snow somehow acquires a veteran 1-year stop gap RD before the draft, all you idiots can eat free at my place in Boston. Gotta get to Boston though. ;)

I go to Boston twice a year, so I may have to take you up on that lol.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Does it work the same way with ELC's for players playing overseas as it does for kids from juniors? Should we expect to see him come to camp and get a 9 game trial before being possibly being sent back to Finland if Garth decides he wants him to get more development or does it not work like that? Everyone is saying how Bridgeport is already stocked with defensemen as is so with someone like him who has somewhere else to play it would make sense for him to go back there.

Or am I completely off with everything I said and it won't play out that way at all?

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Does it work the same way with ELC's for players playing overseas as it does for kids from juniors? Should we expect to see him come to camp and get a 9 game trial before being possibly being sent back to Finland if Garth decides he wants him to get more development or does it not work like that? Everyone is saying how Bridgeport is already stocked with defensemen as is so with someone like him who has somewhere else to play it would make sense for him to go back there.

Or am I completely off with everything I said and it won't play out that way at all?

Much better to play here, cannot be called up from overseas.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
I just realized, it's going to be really boring around here now that Halak and Pokka have both signed.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Draft now.

If Snow somehow acquires a veteran 1-year stop gap RD before the draft, all you idiots can eat free at my place in Boston. Gotta get to Boston though. ;)

My brother in law is in Boston and we are due for a visit. :laugh:

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
WAHOOO!!

No matter what my head was telling me, my heart was worried about somehow something going wrong and Pokka not signing. I'm completely relieved that he is signed and now we can relax about having another top prospect locked up long term. I'm a happy man.

Also, reading the press release off the Islanders website, how impressive does it not read?!?!

The Tornio, Finland, native was named one of three finalists for the top defenseman in the league. Pokka added 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 16 playoff games to help lead Karpat to the 2014 Liiga Championship.

The Islanders drafted Pokka in the second round (34th overall) of the 2012 National Hockey League Draft. Pokka has 42 points (12 goals, 30 assists) in 138 career regular season games with Karpat.

On the international stage, Pokka represented Finland at the 2012, 2013 and 2014 World Junior Championships, winning gold in 2014. He also played for Team Finland at the 2011 and 2012 Under-18 World Championships and the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge

He has played 138 professional hockey games already, that is impressive. Then when you read about his 3 WJC apparences in a row for Finland and won gold in the latest World Junior....it just reads as a hell of a prospect resume.

Can't wait to see him in North America. That's part 2 of our perfect summer sorted. Part 1 get a starting goalie, check, part 2 get Pokka signed... now onto the draft and free agency, lets keep the momentum going.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Someone with much more knowledge on this please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is the 9 day trial is because CHL kids are not eligible for the AHL unless they turn 20 prior to 12/31 of the current season. There is no such 9 day rule for European players (true?). Pokka will already be 20 in June so even if he was playing juniors in Canada rather than being it the Finnish league it would not apply. 2012 #1 Reinhart was not eligible for the AHL last year since he didnt turn 20 until January, but I think this year 2013 #1 Pulock is actually AHL eligible since he turns 20 in December....

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Someone with much more knowledge on this please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is the 9 day trial is because CHL kids are not eligible for the AHL unless they turn 20 prior to 12/31 of the current season. There is no such 9 day rule for European players (true?). Pokka will already be 20 in June so even if he was playing juniors in Canada rather than being it the Finnish league it would not apply. 2012 #1 Reinhart was not eligible for the AHL last year since he didnt turn 20 until January, but I think this year 2013 #1 Pulock is actually AHL eligible since he turns 20 in December....

Correct. Pulock will be eligible this season due to the rule you mentioned.

As far as Euros, players drafted out of a european league (do not have to be euro born) can play in the AHL right after their draft year if they are willing and the organization thinks they are ready.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

As far as Euros, players drafted out of a european league (do not have to be euro born) can play in the AHL right after their draft year if they are willing and the organization thinks they are ready.

Pulock also completed 4 full WHL seasons so he's eligible due to that. Otherwise he would have to wait until he's 20 to be able to play in the AHL from what I remember.

Our own Tavares had completed 4 full OHL seasons before being drafted so he was actually eligible for AHL play right away, not that he would have ever have seen AHL time anyway.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Very happy with this signing and that Halak got done rather quickly. I did not want to see the board melting down as the calendar turned towards June.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

thanks for confirming.. (I meant to say 9 game not 9 day trial but you knew what I meant).

nickel7168

Apr 16, 2014
Centreville, VA
Anything else that has to be done before July 1?

Sorry to ask...what is the rule here regarding July 1 for those of us who have forgotten? Do teams have 2 years to get guys signed...is that it?
What happens if 2012 draftees they are not signed by July1?
I ask because not just Jesse Graham is still unsigned from 2012, but I believe Jake Bischoff, Doyle Somerby, & Sebastien Collberg were all unsigned draftees from 2012. And what about Robbie Russo from 2011? Is he no longer available? I know that Kirill Petrov is from 2008 and Mikko Koskinen is from 2009. So what is the limit on the Isles rights here? :help:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Is it me, or does Garth alternate good and bad off-seasons?

I wonder if he is actually doing things right because his job security may be over with a pending sale or Wang has given him some freedom this year as opposed to prior years...I think the latter !! He keeps this up, I may forego my boycott of the draft party, so he has that going for him !! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad