Confirmed with Link: Ville Pokka Signs ELC

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sorry to ask...what is the rule here regarding July 1 for those of us who have forgotten? Do teams have 2 years to get guys signed...is that it?
What happens if 2012 draftees they are not signed by July1?
I ask because not just Jesse Graham is still unsigned from 2012, but I believe Jake Bischoff, Doyle Somerby, & Sebastien Collberg were all unsigned draftees from 2012. And what about Robbie Russo from 2011? Is he no longer available? I know that Kirill Petrov is from 2008 and Mikko Koskinen is from 2009. So what is the limit on the Isles rights here? :help:

Colberg has signed.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2508

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Someone with much more knowledge on this please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is the 9 day trial is because CHL kids are not eligible for the AHL unless they turn 20 prior to 12/31 of the current season. There is no such 9 day rule for European players (true?). Pokka will already be 20 in June so even if he was playing juniors in Canada rather than being it the Finnish league it would not apply. 2012 #1 Reinhart was not eligible for the AHL last year since he didnt turn 20 until January, but I think this year 2013 #1 Pulock is actually AHL eligible since he turns 20 in December....

Correct. Pulock will be eligible this season due to the rule you mentioned.

As far as Euros, players drafted out of a european league (do not have to be euro born) can play in the AHL right after their draft year if they are willing and the organization thinks they are ready.

Excellent info guys, thanks. I had read before about the 9 game thing being for guys who were not AHL eligible but I completely forgot about it and misguided myself in what I was thinking.

It would be great to see Pokka make the jump to North American hockey this year. It certainly seems like he's ready from what I've seen and read. Even if he started in the AHL it seems likely he wouldn't be there for long so it would only be a brief problem with a crowded blue line.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Is it me, or does Garth alternate good and bad off-seasons?

Perhaps some good Karma is coming to Garth. We can disagree on whether Cappy should have been fired but I aplaude Garth for not taking the easy road and making the coach a scapegoat for the previous year. I infer that by Garth's retention of Jack that he realizes that the season was doomed by failing to address the goaltending situation in the off-season, the disastrous Vanek trade and the poor response to the injuries. When Nabby got hurt, Garth brought up Neilson and when Vis was injured, the response was to bring up Aaron Ness and to sign Radek Martinek. Contrast the responses to injuries to Garth's words at the press conference of the Moulson trade where Snow said that he couldn't sit back while the season slipped away. When we needed a goaltender and a point man on D we got Jack Krapp.

Garth showed character by not firing the coach and is trying to correct his mistakes as evidenced by the trading for and signing of Halak. When a person admits their faults and tries to correct them, I cheer for them to succeed. Hopefully the hockey gods will continuing to shine on us.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Villain Polka under contract!

The hype is strong with this kid. He's set the expectations for himself very high with his junior play, and if he can keep developing, he'll absolutely have a long NHL career in front of him.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
He played inmy favorite team Kärpät so I've seen him play a lot.

Good with puck, good vision, good shot, good skater. He's complete package.
Sometimes he tries too difficult passes that lead to turnovers but I'm sure it'll go away with more experience

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
He played inmy favorite team Kärpät so I've seen him play a lot.

Good with puck, good vision, good shot, good skater. He's complete package.
Sometimes he tries too difficult passes that lead to turnovers but I'm sure it'll go away with more experience

Another good sign with Ville is it seems like EVERY Finnish poster who stops by here for a bit to talk about him has only good things to say. Often great things. Very encouraging sign IMO.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Villain Polka under contract!

The hype is strong with this kid. He's set the expectations for himself very high with his junior play, and if he can keep developing, he'll absolutely have a long NHL career in front of him.

Very good news. congrats Ville:handclap:

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
So pleased this got done!

Reinhart and Pokka have great prospect records and a ton of experience that includes winning. Hard not to get excited about adding confidence and talent to our back end alongside a nicely developing forward group.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Another good sign with Ville is it seems like EVERY Finnish poster who stops by here for a bit to talk about him has only good things to say. Often great things. Very encouraging sign IMO.

There isn't much to complain.

His backwards skating and first few steps could use some work and he should use his slapshot more.
Balance, strength and his overall condition should also be improved a little.
He also needs to learn how to hit people, never seems to do that.

Passing, puck handling, defending with the stick and positioning are already on NHL level.

He's also pretty tough in front of the net nowadays, giving cross checks to the back, facewashes and yapping etc.

I don't know, NHL season is 4 months away, so I don't think it's unrealistic for him to work on his weaknesses and make the Isles out of the camp.

Would also be happy if he would return to Oulu for one more year :laugh:

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Perhaps some good Karma is coming to Garth. We can disagree on whether Cappy should have been fired but I aplaude Garth for not taking the easy road and making the coach a scapegoat for the previous year. I infer that by Garth's retention of Jack that he realizes that the season was doomed by failing to address the goaltending situation in the off-season, the disastrous Vanek trade and the poor response to the injuries. When Nabby got hurt, Garth brought up Neilson and when Vis was injured, the response was to bring up Aaron Ness and to sign Radek Martinek. Contrast the responses to injuries to Garth's words at the press conference of the Moulson trade where Snow said that he couldn't sit back while the season slipped away. When we needed a goaltender and a point man on D we got Jack Krapp.

Garth showed character by not firing the coach and is trying to correct his mistakes as evidenced by the trading for and signing of Halak. When a person admits their faults and tries to correct them, I cheer for them to succeed. Hopefully the hockey gods will continuing to shine on us.

Nice post

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Funny pic I put together

2v0h2eq.jpg

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Is their a deadline by which Pokka and the NYI have to decide whether he's coming over here?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I just realized, it's going to be really boring around here now that Halak and Pokka have both signed.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Draft now.

If Snow somehow acquires a veteran 1-year stop gap RD before the draft, all you idiots can eat free at my place in Boston. Gotta get to Boston though. ;)

I'll come for the free meal, let's face I have never missed any. :cry:
Really good this is done, we have spent a lot of time following Pokka the last two years.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Is their a deadline by which Pokka and the NYI have to decide whether he's coming over here?

Yes.

There is a window of time for players in the SM-Liiga drafted by an NHL team to be bought out of their contract. So we will no one way or another if Pokka is coming to North America or not depending on if he is bought out or not during the window, if that makes sense.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I just could not handle Rag, Leafs, Flyer fans mocking us again if Pokka had taken a hike on us.

And don't forget the Churchman signing to Garth's excellent spring adventures. It'a always good to have a churchman on your side.:D

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Where has it been confirmed that he is not coming here next season?

It hasn't. I think APS is thinking it would be best for Pokka to be in Finland one more year with the logjam of d-men turning pro in Bridgeport. Right APS? Or am I totally wrong?

After reading the Staple article I just made the assumption. It makes sense on one level, but from a selfish level I want him here next year.

Added:

I also remember reading the prospect thread where it was revealed he is already signed. Will the Islanders buy his contract out?

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yes.

There is a window of time for players in the SM-Liiga drafted by an NHL team to be bought out of their contract. So we will no one way or another if Pokka is coming to North America or not depending on if he is bought out or not during the window, if that makes sense.

But when is the window?

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
So a Fin called Antti from Helsinki

Has posted on LHH some really good information about Pokka. LINK to post where Antti from Helsinki's comment was HERE

Antti wrote all this below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokka will travel to New York for a week-long camp in mid-July

A Finnish hockey site, Jatkoaika ("Overtime"), wrote about Pokka and the Islanders signing the contract. LINK HERE (in Finnish)

In his own words Pokka says:

"It’s a good feeling to get the paper done with the Islanders. I have a new and interesting challenge ahead. I only know that in the middle of July I’ll travel to New York for a week-long camp. Hopefully I’ll get to train with Kärpät until then."

At this point, he doesn’t know where he’ll play next year. It is possible that he’ll remain with Kärpät for one more season.
"My goal is to earn a place in the NHL squad."

I’ve seen Pokka play a couple of times against Jokerit during the last two seasons. He provided basic, solid defending: nothing fancy, but also no mistakes that come into mind. He played regularly on the power play and brought puck movement and handling to the blueline. All in all, he was a core D-man in the Kärpät championship squad. Hopefully he can eventually break into the Islanders squad too. I’d love to see a fellow countryman succeed in an Islanders jersey.

And oh yeah. In Finnish, having "pokka" means "to have balls".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is back to me commenting but how perfect is this guy as a d prospect?!?! Not only is he a very good young defensemen who won World Junior Gold with Finland, won the SM-Liiga with Karpat and was nominated as one of the three best defenders in the SM-Liiga....but his name also means "To Have Balls"...

WHAT A GUY!!!! haha :handclap:

So we now know Pokka will be over with the Isles in July where it seems they will then decide what the next stage is going to be. Another year with Karpat? win a place with the Isles? or the long shot, play for Bridgeport in the AHL?

But at least we can relax because we have Pokka signed now.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
But when is the window?

Not entirely sure to be honest but it is a limited period to stop all the uncertainty for SM-Liiga teams trying to get their roster together. Pokka has another year on his deal with Karpat so they would need to know if he isn't going to be there sooner rather than later to allow for them to bring in a replacement.

But like I posted Pokka is definitely coming over to the Islanders in July where they will obviously decide what way to go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad