Confirmed with Link: Ville Pokka Signs ELC

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
I must admit. I wasn't too happy with the Isles going ALL IN on D-MEN in the 2012 draft but with Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech, and even Leduc signed it may turn out to be a banner draft year.

Good thing CBUS turned down all of our picks to draft Murray!!

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Great News! I was starting to get worried, drafting Europeans is a big risk, especially high draft picks.

The only thing we heard about Ville Pokka that he was impressive, played a ton in the Finnish league and in the World Jrs. He might not have to start down in AHL.

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
It looks like Pedan will have a lot of competition ahead of him.

Will Kabanov return to Bridgeport?

Yesterday on MvsW podcast, they talked about the importance of having an affiliate to develop prospects and not to win games (referring about Capitals/Hershey and Galiev situation). I think we have the same problem even Bridgeport being a loser team.

It would be lovely to see Pokka and Collberg on the same team (33rd and 34th picks) plus Kabanov, Pedan and other europeans.

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A
Already better than Donovan, could make the roster, played full season of senior hockey in Europe.

Yeah, I've only seen him in the WJC, but 3 seasons against men, among the 3 best d's in the SM-Liiga, 11 points in 16 games in this years' playoffs and he's a righty. Is it that farfetched that he makes the team in September? :5:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Yeah, I've only seen him in the WJC, but 3 seasons against men, among the 3 best d's in the SM-Liiga, 11 points in 16 games in this years' playoffs and he's a righty. Is it that farfetched that he makes the team in September? :5:

If we don't make any D signings? Not at all far fetched to see something like this:

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart-Visnovsky
Hickey-Pokka

But I do suspect we will sign or trade for a top 4 guy that can play the right side, in which case I doubt he makes it out of camp, though he'd probably be the first call up when injury hits.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If we don't make any D signings? Not at all far fetched to see something like this:

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart-Visnovsky
Hickey-Pokka

But I do suspect we will sign or trade for a top 4 guy that can play the right side, in which case I doubt he makes it out of camp, though he'd probably be the first call up when injury hits.

I am guessing Strait will be the 6th defenseman with Carkner and Donavon being part of the 23 man roster. If we by anychance sign a UFA chances are we will try trade Strait

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
It looks like Pedan will have a lot of competition ahead of him.

Will Kabanov return to Bridgeport?

Yesterday on MvsW podcast, they talked about the importance of having an affiliate to develop prospects and not to win games (referring about Capitals/Hershey and Galiev situation). I think we have the same problem even Bridgeport being a loser team.

It would be lovely to see Pokka and Collberg on the same team (33rd and 34th picks) plus Kabanov, Pedan and other europeans.

I had this talk yesterday with a few people and it is frustrating. Looking back to the likes of Klementyev or now Kabanov and a lesser extent Pedan, Bridgeport plays guys like Diamond ahead of a prospect like Kabanov. Career minor league guys get more minutes than our prospects. Bridgeport aren't exactly going deep in the playoffs every year so where exactly is the need to play these career minor leaguers over potential NHL guys?

Bridgeport seem to insist on players playing to a role instead of giving our prospects ice time and furthering their development for the benefit of the Islanders to help improve our players while getting them ready for the NHL. Kabonov went to the SHL and played well, where the coaches obviously trusted the guy and used him in the right situations. The result was he performed to a good standard and in a league which in my opinion is a better level than the AHL. Kabanov had 8 points in 12 games for Modo which is a good return.

We haven't got many wing prospects at all so I want to see him getting plenty of ice time in Bridgeport along with Sundstrom, Collberg and all our defensive prospects. Hell I'd play Kabanov 1st line LW with Sundstrom and Collberg in Bridgeport. But Kabanov will likely play bottom 6 minutes in the AHL if he is even there.

Kabanov is just an example of a guy who clearly has the talent but we don't seem to be able to control him or put him in situations to succeed. I remember watching him in pre season and thinking he looked great. Remember this from last pre season anyone?

scott99

May 13, 2005
I had this talk yesterday with a few people and it is frustrating. Looking back to the likes of Klementyev or now Kabanov and a lesser extent Pedan, Bridgeport plays guys like Diamond ahead of a prospect like Kabanov. Career minor league guys get more minutes than our prospects. Bridgeport aren't exactly going deep in the playoffs every year so where exactly is the need to play these career minor leaguers over potential NHL guys?

Bridgeport seem to insist on players playing to a role instead of giving our prospects ice time and furthering their development for the benefit of the Islanders to help improve our players while getting them ready for the NHL. Kabonov went to the SHL and played well, where the coaches obviously trusted the guy and used him in the right situations. The result was he performed to a good standard and in a league which in my opinion is a better level than the AHL. Kabanov had 8 points in 12 games for Modo which is a good return.

We haven't got many wing prospects at all so I want to see him getting plenty of ice time in Bridgeport along with Sundstrom, Collberg and all our defensive prospects. Hell I'd play Kabanov 1st line LW with Sundstrom and Collberg in Bridgeport. But Kabanov will likely play bottom 6 minutes in the AHL if he is even there.

Kabanov is just an example of a guy who clearly has the talent but we don't seem to be able to control him or put him in situations to succeed. I remember watching him in pre season and thinking he looked great. Remember this from last pre season anyone?

I'm sorry, I'm a big Kabanov fan, wanted the Islanders to draft him. But bottom line, I don't think he's as talented as we thought. Maybe he dominated against other 16 and 17 year olds when he was in Russia. But he has NEVER done anything in North America to garner the hype he received. He was average in juniors, never dominated. He has a terrible shot, never did much to work on that, has horrible hockey sense, and is an average skater. And all along, there's been nothing but excuses. He just isn't a good player. Never will see the NHL on a regular basis, will always be a European league player.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

the player says, "give me more time and i will produce". the coach says, "produce more, and i will give you more time". who is right?

if Kabanov, or any other player, has character issues, they have to go. one bad apple...

don't know if this is the case with Kabanov. just saying...

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Glad to see Pokka signed, adds some solid depth for the future.

I hope him and Reinhart battle it out for 5/6th spot with the loser ending up in Bport. Having them both make the team on opening night could be ugly, rookie dmen tend to be scary.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart-Visnovsky
Hickey-Pokka

You don't want two rookies in your top 6. That's a recipe for disaster.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You don't want two rookies in your top 6. That's a recipe for disaster.

I pretty much agree, but so is having Strait and Carkner. We need to sign/trade for an experienced top 4 D or we're going to struggle again next season with goals against even though we finally have a #1 goalie.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I think Pokka is very close to the NHL level. I wouldn't be too surprised if he starts the season in Islanders. He was real solid against Tappara in the finals.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
My only concern with Pokka is the smaller ice surface. That will be the adjustment that might take time for him. Griff has a big advantage being that he has been playing in north america. Griff at the moment is more prepared for the NHL than Pokka. Chances of Pokka making the Isles out of camp would be a longshot. People keep forgetting about Donovan too. Donovan will make this team.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
My only concern with Pokka is the smaller ice surface. That will be the adjustment that might take time for him. Griff has a big advantage being that he has been playing in north america. Griff at the moment is more prepared for the NHL than Pokka. Chances of Pokka making the Isles out of camp would be a longshot. People keep forgetting about Donovan too. Donovan will make this team.

I don't think anyone is forgetting about Donovan. If anything it is the better prospects preparing to vault ahead of him. I hope for his sake he has a rebound year because staying ahead of this curve, Reinhart, Pokka, Pelech, and Pulock... that is going to be quite a feat based on what we saw last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad