Ville Heinola, 18yo is carrying the Winnipeg Jets defense

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Heinola's been looking pretty good with the puck, though. Physically he probably isn't NHL-ready but doesn't have the usual issues a non-NHL ready player would have.

Bouchard looked fantastic with the puck as well when he played a handful of games, didn’t mean he was NHL ready.

There’s no doubt Heinola will be an NHL quality D man, he just needs time to season a bit. Playing D in the NHL at 18 is extremely difficult.

It’s not like forward, especially wing which is relatively easier to walk into. For D men it takes a lot longer before they’re usually ready. The flip side is D men typically peak later and for longer.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I think the term 'carrying' is being generously used. The WPG D is .........atrocious.

Reactions: jcbeze

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not for long, the NHL keeps ramping up, and rookies usually fall off after the first few games. They come around again around after Christmas break.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Why should people in Europe care about teams that are located thousands of miles away from them? They care about their countrymen playing in those teams, it's that simple.
I mean yeah, who cares about the product - the best hockey league in the world. Lets only care about nationality

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Who would have thought that Ville Heinola has had the biggest impact from the 2019 draft class so far. Last game he already got 23.01 TOI and had 5 SOG. Also already has 2 assists in 3 games. I would have thought Kakko or Hughes are the first ones to score in that draft class but no it's Heinola, the 20th pick.

It's crazy to think that this 18yo boy is basically carrying the Winnipeg defense now :D

View attachment 261857
Heinola is a good young player..but relax man. Its 2 games into the season. Go wash those hands.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
I mean yeah, who cares about the product - the best hockey league in the world. Lets only care about nationality

I mean of course people like those teams where their countrymen are playing. I like Rangers because of Kakko, Carolina because of Aho, Teravainen, Haula etc.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
As a Rangers fan, when the Jets snagged this kid at 20, I smirked. I think both teams did well with the deal, but I think when we look back the next next 7 years, Heinola may be considered the better player. Had Heinola at 10OA on my board and he’s only rising.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
This kid is incredibly smart and has already shown incredible composure and skill. His body and lack of experience will limit him though this season and I hope that the Jets let him develop for another season in Liiga.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jets should really consider just playing 4F and 1 D all game.
F it will just try to outscore the mess that is our D.

I do like that Niku is getting on tonight.
He brings a lot more to the table then Bitetto, Dahlstrom, Kulikov etc...

When Morrissey comes back and if Buff comes back things will seem so much easier.

Let's not forget that our current #1 goalie is playing like garbage to add to the tire fire. Our back up has been lights out (all things considered)

We just need to survive this early season mess.

Oh and did someone mention that we've NEVER won a game in Pittsburgh? Fun times.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Our defense sucks ass.

We are f***ed.

g90qiVb.jpg

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Heinola and Pionk have really been surprising at how they’ve stepped in. If this garbage def core can stay healthy and continue to progress they might sneak into playoffs.

Man, I can’t believe the trouba trade looks okay now. Hopefully this isn’t a 5 game flash in the pan for heinola and he’s the real deal.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Hopefully this isn’t a 5 game flash in the pan for heinola and he’s the real deal.
He's got amazing hockey IQ but not a lot of obvious physical talents to fall back on, so things could fall apart quickly if he loses his confidence and stops making all those good quick reads consistently. It all depends on how mature he is mentally, which we have very little insight into.

I'm confident he's the real deal long-term, but still doubt he'll stick around this year. Maybe he'll be sent down after 9, then called back for the end of the season if the team is in a playoff spot and he's had a good year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad