Ville Heinola, 18yo is carrying the Winnipeg Jets defense

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He is 3rd in average ice time per game from the Jets defenseman that doesn't sound like someone who is carrying the defense.

Reactions: hn777

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Where is Morrissey? I thought he'd play 40 minutes a game after they lost their entire right-side on defense.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
I mean, it ir Mr. Thomas he's talking about. That poster just looks at stats on NHL.com with blue/white glasses, searching for anything related to Finland. Sadly, that's something even swedish hockey "experts" are doing these days. Guess national pride is everything these days..

Of course. I mean of course you root for your country or your team :D Whats wrong with that? And i think this thread is special because honestly has anything like this ever happened before in nhl?

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I should gather some of my Swiss fellows in here and bonerstreak some threads about our players. We Swissies are way too neutral to do that kind of thing though.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Nah you got it wrong. Some Finnish fans are like a lot of Leafs fans. They're just very...enthusiastic.

enthusiasm1.jpg

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I should gather some of my Swiss fellows in here and bonerstreak some threads about our players. We Swissies are way too neutral to do that kind of thing though.
That would be quick one. Or how many young Swiss are playing in the NHL? And i mean actually playing. I think NJD fans are taking care of Hischier hype.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Also, this consistent hype about Finnish players from Finnish posters could be due to the fact that we actually follow them, and watch how they play shift by shift. Or how many here have actually seen something else from Heinola than NHL.com stats? Also, if they aren`t worth of hyping (Like Risto, Vatanen, Markus Granlund etc.), you dont see Finns defending them. Risto is getting most of the bashing from Finns i think.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't think he's carrying the d. But I think he has been good and better than a lot of members of that blueline.

That being said, this fantastic level of play could very well stunt his career. He isn't physically ready to be playing. I know people will be like, "YOU HABBENT WATCH HIM. HE IS GOOD." and yes, he has been good, but physically I think there is an increased probability you ruin your long term asset if you play him a certain way and play him too much.

Some good examples of this are Bogosian, Sbisa. Ya he could take off but if you put him in a situation to fail like they'd be doing on this blueline, playing against big bodies, you're playing with fire when it comes to his future. Both in terms of his potential style of play, and in terms of his long term health.

I think he and the even younger Bjorfot have been fantastic. But I think both should be returned to their clubs around the 9 game mark.

Totally agree.
Heinola needs to put on some weight and not subjected to a full season of the pounding he is going to take.
Develop him for the long run.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Also, this consistent hype about Finnish players from Finnish posters could be due to the fact that we actually follow them, and watch how they play shift by shift. Or how many here have actually seen something else from Heinola than NHL.com stats? Also, if they aren`t worth of hyping (Like Risto, Vatanen, Markus Granlund etc.), you dont see Finns defending them. Risto is getting most of the bashing from Finns i think.
Last season in one particular thread I had 3 different Fins tell me that if it isn’t completely clear to that Sebastian Aho is obviously on his way to becoming a better player than Connor McDavid, I must have a very poor understanding about this sport. You’d think they were joking, but they weren’t.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ville the Kid is a bright spot but it's concerning for some Jets fans to have him with the club. Historically, most 18 year old defensemen that play in the NHL wasn't great for development. League is getting younger though...

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
That would be quick one. Or how many young Swiss are playing in the NHL? And i mean actually playing. I think NJD fans are taking care of Hischier hype.
Got me :)

Honest answer, there aren't that many: Meier, Fiala, Siegenthaler (maybe?)

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Of course. I mean of course you root for your country or your team :D Whats wrong with that? And i think this thread is special because honestly has anything like this ever happened before in nhl?

Anything like what? What exactly IS happening that is special?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Jets have surrendered 14 goals in 3 games, I don't think anyone is carrying anything defensively.

I get your point, but he can't play on every pairing. Just because the D as a whole is terrible doesn't mean he hasn't vastly exceeded expectations. Most people expected he'd need a couple years before being NHL ready.

They started the year with 2 AHL guys on the bottom pair. Morrissey is currently out, so there's 3 AHL guys in the lineup. Next game Kulikov is out to deal with personal stuff, so it'll be 4 AHL D. It's rough.

I hope Chevy considers his long-term development and sends him back after 9 games. The D will be a tire fire this year either way. Keep him out of it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not even close to NHL ready.

Him and Bjornfot are being completely rushed and really shouldn’t be in the NHL right now.
Heinola's been looking pretty good with the puck, though. Physically he probably isn't NHL-ready but doesn't have the usual issues a non-NHL ready player would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad