Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
http://argent.canoe.ca/nouvelles/le-colisee-de-quebec-sera-pret-pour-une-franchise-de-la-lnh-23052013

The old Colisée will undergo some renovations in the next months and will be ready for NHL level hockey by October 2013. In the upcoming few days the city will publish it's RFP for the renovation of the players and official dressing rooms. A bit later, ice refrigeration and air climate control will be published aswell. Those two items are believed to be done by October.

Ha.. you getting facebook updates from Go Nordiques too? They just posted this a couple of minutes ago (so I did the honors in the Phoenix thread). :-D

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I think Patrick is overrated as coach. He's a better GM.

But the thing with him is that what he brings is excitement and passion. And you need that if we want to build a rivalry with the Habs. You won't get that with King of boringness, Dave Tippett.

He is overrated as a GM too. They have the most money in the League and he is a "name". Easy to convince guys that don't want to play in the Q. Let's see what I can do with less means (in comparaison to the rest of the League he is in, obviously) before we can crown him a good coach or a good GM.

As for the rivalry thing, no need for a coach to spark it up, fans will take care of it and players will follow. You know as well as I do how much we HATE Montreal here in Quebec City. Roy would have been a nice sideshow at worse, I agree, but we don't need him and honestly I prefer not to have him. He is a hot head.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He is overrated as a GM too. They have the most money in the League and he is a "name". Easy to convince guys that don't want to play in the Q. Let's see what I can do with less means (in comparaison to the rest of the League he is in, obviously) before we can crown him a good coach or a good GM.

As for the rivalry thing, no need for a coach to spark it up, fans will take care of it and players will follow. You know as well as I do how much we HATE Montreal here in Quebec City. Roy would have been a nice sideshow at worse, I agree, but we don't need him and honestly I prefer not to have him. He is a hot head.

If what I'm reading on the Chicago board is accurate, sounds like Joel Quenneville might be available soon. Can't think of a better coach for the new Nordiques, despite the fact he's recycled. His french is very rusty but I'm sure he'd be able to manage. His teams play a style the fans would really love. And he has ties with the former Nordiques/Avalanche organization.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Patrice Drouin and Chantal Lachance, cofounders of Gestev, and their entire team will bring their expertise to Quebecor; they will support Quebecor's drive to maintain its status as Québec's entertainment leader and work with its partners to help make the new Québec City Amphitheater a hub of entertainment, sport and culture.

Thank god the added that "new" because my nordiqu-o-meter would have gone crazy :D

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
Press release of Quebecor's purchase of Gestev http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/quebecor-acquires-gestev-tsx-qbr.a-1794745.htm

Very strange timing indeed!

Timing you said? :laugh:

After nothing appening for weeks, PKP leave presidence of Quebecor to take care of new amphitheatre matters (2 years before openning), Aubut saying "Don't doubt anymore, there will be a team in Quebec", Alan Strachan saying "Don't worry. Your QC team is coming soon. If a move it will probably be a team you hadn't considered. Can't say more", Mayor Labaume with a sore back so he had to cancel his trip in Russia expected for tomorrow, move of Patrick Roy for Avalanche and now that :handclap:

Just speculations? Maybe!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Like it wasn't enough, NHL just sign Maloney for a long term contract lol

Just Timing?

It's just a contingency plan. The only thing worse than not having an owner would be no GM. QC, upon acquiring the team, can 'fire' Maloney and he recieves a big payday for his loyalty to the league. Or QC retains him (which they absolutely should if it's an option) and he steers the franchise through a transformative offseason.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
It's just a contingency plan. The only thing worse than not having an owner would be no GM. QC, upon acquiring the team, can 'fire' Maloney and he recieves a big payday for his loyalty to the league. Or QC retains him (which they absolutely should if it's an option) and he steers the franchise through a transformative offseason.

Absolutly, who ever would like to buy the team would prefer to have a GM who knows the team for sure! But I never speculated that it would be QC, you did! :laugh:

What I had in my mind, was the fact that Roy got the job of coach and hockey VP in Colorado and the next day Maloney is signed in Phoenix... While there were speculations of Maloney going to Colorado :nod:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I like Maloney, this guy is intelligent and he can learn french

Nevermind, it's Quebecor, they're not gonna keep Maloney.

Hey I love Maloney, even as a player he was one of my favorites, I will never forget his play in the series against the Islanders. But Quebecor will hire people from if not the city, the province for sure.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But Quebecor will hire people from if not the city, the province for sure.

It's a business, not a flag waving venue. Maloney is probably one of the top 3 GMs in the league if you look at his Coyotes resume. You fire him, you are stupid. You fire him over a language or culture issue, you are stupid and xenophobic. The game is worldly. Are you going to trade away Hanzal and Ekman Larsson because they aren't French Canadian? No, because they are great players and extremely valuable. That extends off the ice to the front office. Talent is talent.

If my coach and GM are bringing home hardware and accolades, I don't care if they only speak Swahili. Winning is a universal language. Is QC so racially and culturally homogeneous that they can't possibly stand non french executives? I doubt it.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
What did Maloney really do though? Yes he's found some decent pieces considering his limited budget, but so far we can't say he's made great trades, he hasn't drafted well either. I think Tippett did a better job than Maloney. And don't get me wrong, Maloney probably did better than most would with the budget he had, but I don't see how he's considered one of the top GM's league wide.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What did Maloney really do though?

204.gif

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
It's a business, not a flag waving venue. Maloney is probably one of the top 3 GMs in the league if you look at his Coyotes resume. You fire him, you are stupid. You fire him over a language or culture issue, you are stupid and xenophobic. The game is worldly. Are you going to trade away Hanzal and Ekman Larsson because they aren't French Canadian? No, because they are great players and extremely valuable. That extends off the ice to the front office. Talent is talent.

If my coach and GM are bringing home hardware and accolades, I don't care if they only speak Swahili. Winning is a universal language. Is QC so racially and culturally homogeneous that they can't possibly stand non french executives? I doubt it.

You have to understand that the GM and the coach will have to deal with french media daily.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Word.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I think the question of him staying or not (and for how long) might also be related to the new organisation's objectives.

For exemple, if PKP's strategy is to rebuild the new Nordiques (since the poor Yotes have been losing players left and right because of their bad situation). And he wants to do it by drafting well in... Say mostly bankable CHL players that are well known here. Or who knows maybe European players. Then he might hire a GM who's got great scouting skills in these areas, just like Columbus did on the eve of their crucial next draft.

The organisation's vision is a very important thing. And I can garantee you that PKP will want someone who'll agree with his vision.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC

We all know that, but you're talking about quebecor here

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Nevermind, it's Quebecor, they're not gonna keep Maloney.

Hey I love Maloney, even as a player he was one of my favorites, I will never forget his play in the series against the Islanders. But Quebecor will hire people from if not the city, the province for sure.

They will give Maloney a chance, plus french can be learn. Lest not act Pejorative Slured please. Its not the PQ Quebecor is buying, its a hockey club. Anyway we might not even get the team, so it might be useless conversation. Lets get the team first then we can talk about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad