Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It's a business, not a flag waving venue. Maloney is probably one of the top 3 GMs in the league if you look at his Coyotes resume. You fire him, you are stupid. You fire him over a language or culture issue, you are stupid and xenophobic. The game is worldly. Are you going to trade away Hanzal and Ekman Larsson because they aren't French Canadian? No, because they are great players and extremely valuable. That extends off the ice to the front office. Talent is talent.

If my coach and GM are bringing home hardware and accolades, I don't care if they only speak Swahili. Winning is a universal language. Is QC so racially and culturally homogeneous that they can't possibly stand non french executives? I doubt it.

It's more complicated than that. It's not that Quebecers would opt not to support a team full of English Canadians, Americans, and Europeans, nor is it that Quebecers would be satisfied with a perennial lottery team that was made entirely of players from Rimouski. There's a balance to be struck between these two sometimes-competing priorities, and it's not unreasonable to want to aim for that balance.

We all want to be able to identify with the players and staff on the hockey team we support, and we all like seeing local boys on our local team; Quebec is no different from any other market in that respect. However, with the linguistic and cultural divide, it brings a new dynamic to the challenge of icing a team that the fans 'identify' with. It's not unreasonable to me for a Quebecer to want players and staff who are not only sensitive to the cultural & linguistic differences, but are also "on their side" of the divide, insofar as they can give interviews and press conferences that the fans can understand in their native language, and have a knowledge of the culture.

Last edited:

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
If the team move on such a short notice, perhaps it's a good thing to keep the actual GM. If I recall, Pierre Lacroix and Crawford stayed with the Avs...
The fact the maloney got extended is perhaps a call from PKP and not the NHL ?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
If the team move on such a short notice, perhaps it's a good thing to keep the actual GM. If I recall, Pierre Lacroix and Crawford stayed with the Avs...

Very possible, and I'd love it.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

You have to assume PKP at least signed off on it, no? Otherwise it would be a shoddy thing for Bettman to do to a potential new owner, sign a contract with a guy just days before he could be fired, forcing the new owner to immediately pay out a few million in severance. It isn't like the league couldn't have said to Maloney "There will be a decision one way or the other early next week, so if you want you can wait until then to before deciding whether to re-sign."

I wonder whether the NHL in consultation with PKP asked both Tippett and Maloney if they could imagine moving to Quebec, and Maloney said yes but Tippett said no. Or maybe PKP would be happy with Maloney but wants a new (French-speaking) coach. Either way, I think it's far-fetched that the league would make these decisions unilaterally and risk annoying a potential new member of "the club."

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
NHL confirms "agreement" with Gosbee to purchase Coyotes, but says a number of issues still have to be resolved before done deal.

Is it a bad news or it's like with Atlanta a few years ago . Back then they said that they had found an owner and a few Days later were moved to Winnipeg anyway ?

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Is it a bad news or it's like with Atlanta a few years ago . Back then they said that they had found an owner and a few Days later were moved to Winnipeg anyway ?

If the NHL respects it's usual modus operandi, this "agreement" hinges on a sweetheart deal with the City of Glendale. The new council doesn't seem prepared to cut such a deal.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It could take months to even get a subsidy from the city. Where's GWI nowadays :laugh:

The CoG is prepared to pay ~$6M for an AMF. This is a generally accepted amount for arena management. The potential buyers are going to ask for ~$15M, but the CoG has no way of affording this, so they are not going to pay it. Only if the CoG was actually going to pay this would it matter to the GWI. The GWI is no longer needed in this process.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I want to say congratulations to Quebec fans, but you can never be sure what's going to happen with this damn PHX franchise ever.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
I guess it all come down to the arena management fee: how much the Gosbee group wants and how much the COG is willing to pay.

I'd say that the mood in Quebec city right now is: not enought and too much.

While here, it's seems to be: too much and not enought.

It's very confusing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
An unprecedented amount of cooperation and compromise is going to be required to keep the team in Phoenix come Tuesday. Odds are good QC ends up with the team. I just ask that you guys be respectful in the event that does happen.

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
Suggestion for the next thread:

Quebec City Part IX: Allez, venez et entrez dans la danse

Will it be the Nordiques dance or the Gary Bettman's dance?

Or...

Quebec City Part IX: Tout vient à point à qui sait attendre

Last edited:

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Suggestion for the next thread:

Quebec City Part IX: Allez, venez et entrez dans la danse

Will it be the Nordiques dance or the Gary Bettman's dance?

Or...

Quebec City Part IX: Tout vient à point à qui sait attendre
Allez, venez, Milord!
Vous asseoir à ma table
il fait si chaud dehors
ici c'est confortable

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
That's the hope. Montreal and Toronto are the english teams

This is not the first time I see this comment and it's pure fantasy...

Les Canadiens de Montréal is THE historical team in Québec, linked to the quiet revolution for francophones rights with Maurice Richard and other french canadians sports idols. The Habitants are literally a part of our history, it's more to us than a simple sport team.

From my 2011 post : http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=39934999&highlight (post 197)
Of course the Nordiques will be cheered by french speaking fans but saying they will be THE ONE for the francophones is like saying the Habs are not for them. There are more french speaking fans in MTL area than Qc city.

Montreal metropolitan area (including north/south shore): 3.8M 64.9% francophone = 2.4662M fans.

Quebec city metropolitan area 0.638M 95% francophone = 0.608M fans.

So what you're implying is that the 2.4M francophones Habs fans should stop cheering for their team if a new franchise goes to Qc city (with 0.6M fans), because that city has a higher % of french speaking fans, the ultimate french city!

Of course the numbers were not perfect but you get the general idea.

Is it asking too much that we francophones can have more than 1 team? Anglophones can cheer for both teams like everyone but if you think we'll drop our habs you're wrong. That's why it would be a nice rivalry in Québec, a great rivalry between two francophones markets :).

Last edited:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I think PKP shouldn't frame the new Nordiques as a Quebec only team. I think we should try to get the Maritimes, maybe with pre-season games in Halifax and Moncton and Nordiques games on sportsnet? (The opposite of the Sens games on tva sport)

But maybe that's just a dream, altrough we'll definitively get all Eastern Quebec and Saguenay.

xzchief

May 7, 2013
Is it asking too much that we francophones can have more than 1 team?

Yes, in Gary Bettman's mind.

If there is any other option--repeat, ANY other option--then yes. Don't take my word for it. Eighteen years is a long time.

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
Yes, in Gary Bettman's mind.

If there is any other option--repeat, ANY other option--then yes. Don't take my word for it. Eighteen years is a long time.

Oh don't worry I'm aware that Gary Bettman is stubborn but Qc city might become the only option soon enough :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad