Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Kind of strange move by pkp. I doubt he's being forced out, as he is still in charge of the media group and tva. Seems more like he wanted to take on less responsibility, or he just bit the bullet in order to keep a very good executive from leaving.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Both are with Quebecor

and I would think that if someone buy a team, it would be Quebecor too, not PKP personally. The whole point of having a team in Quebec is to have contents for Quebecor platforms.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Hopefully the new guy is interessed in hockey, if not he might happy with just the arena +entertainment side of it

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
From the two complementary articles, it sounds like it was mostly to have more time with his family and to take care of philanthropic stuff. He has expressed concerns about the strength of entrepreneurship in the province several times, might have to do with that.

Both articles also mention «taking a step back» for «strategic» reasons.

He still is a controlling shareholder.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Did he step down from Quebecor or Quebecor Media ?

Media is the biggest chunk of the business.

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.

I disagree Powerstuck, we could play in the West for a while, like Winnipeg did in the East.

Like Daly said, it's a realignment for the current teams, not the ''maybes''.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know.... this whole realignment process is making me have more and more questions about Quebec's chances with getting the Yotes versus Seattle, despite the fact that your arena process is significantly more advanced than theirs, the fact that you'd easily be able to sell out tickets at a much quicker tick than Seattle, and that a Seattle-based NHL team will have to compete with the new Sonics....

That, or the NHL is setting up Detroit for the ultimate trolljob before they get booted back West in a few years, which I'm hopeful is true!

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.

That doesnt make sense to me because other than phoenix, all of the 'low-revenue franchises' are locked into leases with pretty prohibative buyout penalties unless they want to go the moyes route and declare bankruptcy, which is a last-resort move.

I know what bill daly said, but this alignment is a bad omen for QC. With phoenix in as dire straits as it is now, the NHL must have an internal backup plan (as they did a few years ago before they used it on atlanta). The fact that their willing to put 16 teams in the east the same year we expect phoenix to come to an end symbolizes, to me, that QC is not that backup plan.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
I believe:
1- that the NHL can't even hint at a possible relocation without getting Quebec city, the province and even the country going crazy about the idea of getting the Nordiques back. So they did what they needed to do, act/plan as if nothing will happen.

2- that the only market ready to get a relocating franchise right now is Quebec city.

3- that changing the alignment is really easy for the NHL. If the Coyotes were to be relocated to QC, they can change it quite easily. They could make a whole schedule up when they resolved the lock-out, it can't be that hard to re-schedule/re-align for one team.

4- that behind closed doors, the BoG might have also voted on a relocation alignment as well. Is anyone besides the governors even allowed? I don't think so. The NHL will let us know what they want. If they voted on a second alignment with the team moving to QC, do you really think they would let us know?

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seatle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

If Glendale was willing to foot the bill for another year, I could buy that. Not so much now that Glendale isn't. I really doubt that the league would want to keep holding on to a white elephant that's about to balloon massively due to the lost of public subsidies next year.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think QC was the plan right up until Seattle became a viable option. The 2011 plan was set up to allow a move to PQ, this one seems like it's geared toward Seattle exclusively.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
From the two complementary articles, it sounds like it was mostly to have more time with his family and to take care of philanthropic stuff. He has expressed concerns about the strength of entrepreneurship in the province several times, might have to do with that.

Both articles also mention «taking a step back» for «strategic» reasons.

He still is a controlling shareholder.

If he wanted to spend more time with his familly he wouldnt be buying an NHL team. I think this is a good sign that something is going on behind closed doors. :)

BnGBear1970

OopsICrappedMyPants
Jul 24, 2004
I believe:
1- that the NHL can't even hint at a possible relocation without getting Quebec city, the province and even the country going crazy about the idea of getting the Nordiques back. So they did what they needed to do, act/plan as if nothing will happen.

2- that the only market ready to get a relocating franchise right now is Quebec city.

3- that changing the alignment is really easy for the NHL. If the Coyotes were to be relocated to QC, they can change it quite easily. They could make a whole schedule up when they resolved the lock-out, it can't be that hard to re-schedule/re-align for one team.

4- that behind closed doors, the BoG might have also voted on a relocation alignment as well. Is anyone besides the governors even allowed? I don't think so. The NHL will let us know what they want. If they voted on a second alignment with the team moving to QC, do you really think they would let us know?

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seattle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.

To wit, the Atlanta Thrashers were still accepting season ticket deposits in the hours AFTER TNSE bought the team. The league will deny reality with evidence to the contrary, so why would they all but admit that Phoenix is coming east before they have to?

I'm not sure what the NHL's plan is with Phoenix (a big part of me thinks they'll hang on to them in Phoenix until more than one viable option is out there), but if the Glendale City Council makes life hard for the league, only Quebec is in position to take the team for 2013-14 now. Again, TNSE had a hard time getting a nearly-NHL-ready arena up to snuff in time for a season 4 months later; what chance will Seattle have with KeyArena at this stage in the game?

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

I don't know.... this whole realignment process is making me have more and more questions about Quebec's chances with getting the Yotes versus Seattle, despite the fact that your arena process is significantly more advanced than theirs, the fact that you'd easily be able to sell out tickets at a much quicker tick than Seattle, and that a Seattle-based NHL team will have to compete with the new Sonics....

That, or the NHL is setting up Detroit for the ultimate trolljob before they get booted back West in a few years, which I'm hopeful is true!

That doesnt make sense to me because other than phoenix, all of the 'low-revenue franchises' are locked into leases with pretty prohibative buyout penalties unless they want to go the moyes route and declare bankruptcy, which is a last-resort move.

I know what bill daly said, but this alignment is a bad omen for QC. With phoenix in as dire straits as it is now, the NHL must have an internal backup plan (as they did a few years ago before they used it on atlanta). The fact that their willing to put 16 teams in the east the same year we expect phoenix to come to an end symbolizes, to me, that QC is not that backup plan.

Guys, Gary doesn't plan in advance. Gary Reacts. This should have been done two years ago. Instead he let himself get caught with his pants down. I don't think it's a bad omen for Quebec. I think it's just Gary being the poor manager that he is.

I believe:

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seatle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.

Nah, I think Gary just isn't capable to admit defeat.

I think QC was the plan right up until Seattle became a viable option. The 2011 plan was set up to allow a move to PQ, this one seems like it's geared toward Seattle exclusively.

Seattle can't possibly host a team until 2016-17. The Key is just not suited for today's NHL.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think it's naive to believe the NHL wouldn't trade 3 years at a suboptimal arena for the much larger market

GF

Nov 4, 2012
I think it's naive to believe the NHL wouldn't trade 3 years at a suboptimal arena for the much larger market

That could be true IF the NHL was operating the Coyotes in Seattle. You're asking an owner to take losses for three years before trying to make money. If the losses are 10-20m$ a year for three years, it might take several years to regain those losses.

On the other hand, with no more subsidy from Glendale, the NHL is losing money in Glendale. Around 20m$ a year if the NHL is to be believed. So if they hang onto the Coyotes for one more year, the problem basically stays the same. They will have to sell the franchise for 20m$ more to break even. So a new owner in Seattle will need to pay 20m$ more in a year, plus the losses he will have to cover for the years played in the temporary venue. And then, pray enough people have money/time/interest for hockey.

I think a serious owner could very well decide to wait for either another troubled franchise or a possible expansion. Plus, I am one of those who think that competing head to head with a NBA franchise in those first three years is a bad idea. Let people swallow the NBA caplet before trying to force a NHL pill. When the NBA is firmly in place, they will have a better idea of the NHL chances of success.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
Like I said in the other thread, if realignment is a bad sign for franchise relocation, it should also be for an expansion. If you are saying, the Coyotes can not move to Quebec because there's only 14 teams in the west, you also imply that expansion will necessarily happen west of Detroit, because there's no place left in the east.

Maybe, because I'm in Quebec city, I'm delusional, so let's take Toronto instead. Would that make sense? No expansion to Markham, because there's no place left in the eastern conference. I don't think so.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
If he wanted to spend more time with his familly he wouldnt be buying an NHL team. I think this is a good sign that something is going on behind closed doors. :)

Possibly, certainly seems like there's something brewing around Quebecor Inc., whether it has to with an NHL team or not remains to be seen.

Also, «market» being thrown around like it was the same as demography. What's new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad