Ville de Québec Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
I would have loved if the arena would have had a similar architecture.

You should have lived in 1949 :sarcasm:
http://www.authentiquecaserne.net/archives/le-petit-coliseethe-old.html

The last photo is what it would look like :)
By the way, the second photo has been taken from the hippodrome roof of the old Colisee which is now a modern arena with ajustable rink for international events.

I like that sentence in the last paragraph: "This rink was the old home of the Quebec Bulldogs hockey team which had won twice the Stanley cup" ;-)

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
Exactly. It really should have.

Yes, it should but couldn't :handclap:

For a city that celebrate its 400 birthday 4 years ago, architecture of 94 years ago is just... recent trials :laugh:

So we have a lot more older architecture to show and all the site will be uptodate except for the two last buildings :sarcasm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yes, it should but couldn't :handclap:

For a city that celebrate its 400 birthday 4 years ago, architecture of 94 years ago is just... recent trials :laugh:

So we have a lot more older architecture to show and all the site will be uptodate except for the two last buildings :sarcasm:

They easily could have. But you need to be a little more creative. :D

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Visited Quebec City for the first time in a long while this weekend and found myself in a very vibrant city. A great blend of young trendy folks and rich old folks. Stayed at beautiful Château Bonne Entente and ate at Le Cosmos and the Jardin De Tang. Had breakfast at CBE's restaurant. Awesome city as always.

Definitively a big league city!

I, of course, visited the hole in the ground we're talking about here too :)

It's coming along.

I was thinking, how about, when the team comes back, calling them the Remparts? Teams in junior and pros have the same name sometimes. Verdun Jr. Canadiens was a thing.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
They easily could have. But you need to be a little more creative. :D

First, because of the softness of the soil, they have to support the foundations with piles. The actual foundation of the hippodrome can not be fit with the new one. 90 years ago it was ok but with new technologies and the weight of the new building and to match with the new foundations, they will have to install 1000 of those piles and it will last until next montrh of March. So they would have to dismantle that building anyway to install piles and build new foundation.

Second, in the actual case, they estimate to have finish dismantling the facade in 3 weeks, by just putting them down. Imagine the time it would take to dismantle it brick by brick to re-use them for the rebuilding of it. Coding, cleaning and storing them, changing the ones that have been installed during repairs when it cought on fire (just look at the 2 towers, lot of bricks lighters on the right side). Just try to realise the price and time just for that.

Third, try to match a building with view all around with an opac entrance with only 3 small doors and even smaller windows... Like mayor Labaume said: " If you want to build a crocodile, you build a crocodile. If you want to build a lion, you build a lion. But we won't build a crocolion! " :shakehead

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
First, because of the softness of the soil, they have to support the foundations with piles. The actual foundation of the hippodrome can not be fit with the new one. 90 years ago it was ok but with new technologies and the weight of the new building and to match with the new foundations, they will have to install 1000 of those piles and it will last until next montrh of March. So they would have to dismantle that building anyway to install piles and build new foundation.

Second, in the actual case, they estimate to have finish dismantling the facade in 3 weeks, by just putting them down. Imagine the time it would take to dismantle it brick by brick to re-use them for the rebuilding of it. Coding, cleaning and storing them, changing the ones that have been installed during repairs when it cought on fire (just look at the 2 towers, lot of bricks lighters on the right side). Just try to realise the price and time just for that.

Third, try to match a building with view all around with an opac entrance with only 3 small doors and even smaller windows... Like mayor Labaume said: " If you want to build a crocodile, you build a crocodile. If you want to build a lion, you build a lion. But we won't build a crocolion! " :shakehead

I was talking about the look, the design, i'm not saying build the new arena with the same material as something done 90 years ago. ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was talking about the look, the design, i'm not saying build the new arena with the same material as something done 90 years ago. ;)

That's what I'm saying as well. However, I don't want to beat a dead horse, and as I've said, I do think the designs for the new building do look nice. :)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Visited Quebec City for the first time in a long while this weekend and found myself in a very vibrant city. A great blend of young trendy folks and rich old folks. Stayed at beautiful Château Bonne Entente and ate at Le Cosmos and the Jardin De Tang. Had breakfast at CBE's restaurant. Awesome city as always.

Definitively a big league city!

I, of course, visited the hole in the ground we're talking about here too :)

It's coming along.

I was thinking, how about, when the team comes back, calling them the Remparts? Teams in junior and pros have the same name sometimes. Verdun Jr. Canadiens was a thing.

I visted Quebec City for the first time this summer. It was a cruise so didn't stay very long but got to see the older Quebec area quite a bit. It was really beautiful. The citadelle is such a strong symbol for the city and incorporating something with the citadelle into a team name would be a great idea imo. The remparts name predates the nordiques by a few years i believe. But yeah somethign incorportating the fortress and the history of battle would be a strong hockey team name.

Personally think that if there was never a team named the Nordiques there is no way it would be in the running at all. Northerner or Northmen in English. Would think you'd want to get away from the stereotype of Quebec being all the way out there in the middle of nowhere. But with the history there, Nordiques seems to be the favourite by far.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yup. I've said it many times, but QCers (and folks from Seattle, too) better be hoping that expansion happens as the number of realistic relocation candidates is essentially limited to the Yotes for the foreseeable future. The only surprise to me with this move is that it might be for a long-term deal, versus a more temporary 5+ year move while Wang tries his luck with getting a new arena construction project started elsewhere in Brooklyn, Queens, or even in a different Long Island suburb.

Isles never were a relocation candidate, as much as some may have wished.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I visted Quebec City for the first time this summer. It was a cruise so didn't stay very long but got to see the older Quebec area quite a bit. It was really beautiful. The citadelle is such a strong symbol for the city and incorporating something with the citadelle into a team name would be a great idea imo. The remparts name predates the nordiques by a few years i believe. But yeah somethign incorportating the fortress and the history of battle would be a strong hockey team name.

Personally think that if there was never a team named the Nordiques there is no way it would be in the running at all. Northerner or Northmen in English. Would think you'd want to get away from the stereotype of Quebec being all the way out there in the middle of nowhere. But with the history there, Nordiques seems to be the favourite by far.

Calling them anything but the Nordiques and using anything but the 91-95 uniforms would be a tragedy.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The logo is classic but outdated. It should be refreshed with a modern version using the same general design

Without changing the logo...

My favorite update
LogoNordiques

Some people had other ideas :

MartinLopez-QUE%2528PHX-move%2529.png

Also, this old topic :

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=962823&page=3

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely not. Don't touch it.

Face it: the Nords logo looks like an elephant. What do elephants have to do with Quebec?

I can't find it anymore, but there was a mockup of the Nords logo going around last year that basically kept the same concept, but looked way less ridiculous. I wish I could find it..

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

:laugh: So you're saying if there had never been a team called the Nordiques before a new team would come here they would never been called that because of the stereotype?

You're right. The Remparts would be more fitting. If only we could just go back in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad