Ville de Québec Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Bien d'bord mon ami, what better time for the public to voice opinions and thoughts so that the design goes in the right direction

I haven't been following the progress of this very closely but I would imagine if they were gathering input it would have been before they broke ground since what they have in these renderings would have been informed by that public feedback. If modifications were made at this point it would probably be more out of practical/logistical issues arising from the physical construction. In any case I wouldn't put too much speculation into issues like acoustics based on what's been shown so far, we simply don't know enough details yet.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
I dont like how elevated the roof seems to be lifted quite a ways up from the last row of seats. Won't the dull the crowd noise?

This building is not a hockey arena, it will be a multi-fonctional amphitheatre. Sound factor was in the first taken in account for large shows and large events. So what is good for shows should be good for hockey...

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
I'm still wondering what's that huge rectangular thing in front of the building? The building is round and boom there's this thing where it seems like it has no place being there?

Just a small correction here, the building is not round, it is oval about the same shape as the rink. You can judge the size and form here... Not round at all!

http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcameras/

Look at Amphitheatre - vue sud

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
Not only that, but it prevents ticketholders from having to line up outside in the cold, which makes a hell of a lot of sense, especially in a place like Quebec City, which has just a whole other breed of cold from anything I've ever experienced anywhere else.

Believe me, when it's mid-February and a zillion below, nobody's gonna care what that thing looks like :laugh:

I sure hope they actually let people in at anytime, though. When I went to see Iron Maiden at Le Colisée last Summer they didn't let anyone in until 30 minutes before it began...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not only that, but it prevents ticketholders from having to line up outside in the cold, which makes a hell of a lot of sense, especially in a place like Quebec City, which has just a whole other breed of cold from anything I've ever experienced anywhere else.

Believe me, when it's mid-February and a zillion below, nobody's gonna care what that thing looks like :laugh:

I would prefer staying in the cold than having this ugly ass thing, to tell you the truth. I mean what were they thinking? Can't they come up with an alternative so it can be better integrated? :laugh:

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I would prefer staying in the cold than having this ugly ass thing, to tell you the truth. I mean what were they thinking? Can't they come up with an alternative so it can be better integrated? :laugh:

Better integrated with what? The industrial park-looking landscape in the webcam? It's not like they're building this thing next door to the Citadel.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
What about the other arenas in the NHL, what are they doing about it? Do they have a lobby too? None of them look out of place like this.

Why should it look like any of those arenas? AFAIC, I don't care that much about the look (even though I find it quite nice), but rather about the overall experience and, from what we've seen and been told so far, I think we won't be dissapointed.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What about the other arenas in the NHL, what are they doing about it? Do they have a lobby too? None of them look out of place like this.

How many other arenas have the Siberian January and February ?

Even Montreal doesn't have the climate Quebec City has. I mean in MTL you get snow on January 10th and it's gone by the 20th.

For having visited 10+ arenas, I can understand what they wanted to do with it.

After all, this is only a rendering. We're far from being done with this wood saga.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

HSBC+Arena+-+Sabres.JPG

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
On the webcams it looks like they are starting to drive in some support pylons.

Yes, you are right. they dismantled the first part today. It should take 3 weeks for all the building and they should finish by the two center towers by pushing them backward.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
How many other arenas have the Siberian January and February ?

Even Montreal doesn't have the climate Quebec City has. I mean in MTL you get snow on January 10th and it's gone by the 20th.

For having visited 10+ arenas, I can understand what they wanted to do with it.

After all, this is only a rendering. We're far from being done with this wood saga.

You make a good point, we don't know the end result for sure.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
^ That's a shame - it's an architecturally pleasing building...

I suggest you that photo.

http://www.quebecurbain.qc.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/P10107891.jpg

Notice on the right corner of the column, all the bricks that are different colours, same thing between the two windows on the right of the column. This building cought on fire many years ago and was repaired, not restored, and this is the case at many place on that facade.

Second, notice the steel stairs builted outside the building... Not so architectural realy :) They don't fit at all with the architecture of the building.

And most new buildings on the site are modern style.

And on the logical side the foundation of this building were not adaptable to the new amphitheatre. It would have to be dismantled brick by brick to be reconstructed... Millions of $. It would not have been worth it.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
The building was useless anyways, there were no more horse races. It was just like a church, we kept it so that people don't get shocked even though they don't use it anymore.

pdrec

Jun 30, 2011
The building was useless anyways, there were no more horse races. It was just like a church, we kept it so that people don't get shocked even though they don't use it anymore.

Same thing happened when the MTS Centre was proposed at the old Eatons site.

F yeah, go QC!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^ That's a shame - it's an architecturally pleasing building...

I agree. I hate seeing beautiful old buildings like the Hippodrome being destroyed. Would've made a great live entertainment venue or something...

The Vampyre Klubb :bat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig