Ville de Québec Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yup. I've said it many times, but QCers (and folks from Seattle, too) better be hoping that expansion happens as the number of realistic relocation candidates is essentially limited to the Yotes for the foreseeable future. The only surprise to me with this move is that it might be for a long-term deal, versus a more temporary 5+ year move while Wang tries his luck with getting a new arena construction project started elsewhere in Brooklyn, Queens, or even in a different Long Island suburb.

Isles never were a relocation candidate, as much as some may have wished.

I actually think the Isles could end up in Quebec. There's no way I'm seeing Charles Wang acting as a tennant in a building he doesn't own for too long. The guy wanted his own lighthouse progect! A 14 thousand seats place to boot is not very attractive. I think the whole thing is meant to buy Charles time so he can assembled investors to build a new place in the Brooklyn area. And if that doesn't work then it would be bye bye to Quebec in 2015. Remember the deal with the arena in Brooklyn start in 2015, I figure Charles will try to come up with new ideas before 2015.

pdrec

Jun 30, 2011
I actually think the Isles could end up in Quebec. There's no way I'm seeing Charles Wang acting as a tennant in a building he doesn't own for too long. The guy wanted his own lighthouse progect! A 14 thousand seats place to boot is not very attractive. I think the whole thing is meant to buy Charles time so he can assembled investors to build a new place in the Brooklyn area. And if that doesn't work then it would be bye bye to Quebec in 2015. Remember the deal with the arena in Brooklyn start in 2015, I figure Charles will try to come up with new ideas before 2015.

That's kind of a reach..

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

He's already signed a 25 year lease. He's agreed to play there from 2015 to 2040. Whether he backs out during that time, or if he backs out before the lease takes effect, I'm sure he incurs the same penalties.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Face it: the Nords logo looks like an elephant. What do elephants have to do with Quebec?

But it's our elephant. What it has to do with Quebec is that there used to be a team there with that elephant-looking thing as its logo. The fans were heartbroken when the team left in the still of the night... and now there's a possibility they can get their team and its elephant-esque logo back. So don't knock it!

Calling them anything but the Nordiques and using anything but the 91-95 uniforms would be a tragedy.

This.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
But it's our elephant.

Fair enough. I can't devalue nostalgia - it'd make me a hypocrite for owning so many yearbooks :laugh:

That said, the Nords logo isn't timeless; rather it's very dated - the "elephant", as I playfully refer to it, is a lowercase N in Bauhaus font, which had its heyday in the late 70s and early 80s, and is a font that you now only see in coffee shops that haven't printed new menus in thirty years. And the stick and puck just beats you over the head with "Hey, we're a hockey team!", and does so very unimaginatively.

I'm not suggesting that they should hire some BS marketing firm to manufacture a "cutting-edge" logo; I'm suggesting that there must be a way to create a logo that embodies Quebec City's hockey culture/history, while at the same time not looking like something that was just plucked out of a time capsule.

For what it's worth, I think the same thing about Vancouver's stick-in-a-box third jersey - just so you guys don't think I'm singling out Quebec for having a logo I don't particularly care for :)

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Fair enough. I can't devalue nostalgia - it'd make me a hypocrite for owning so many yearbooks :laugh:

That said, the Nords logo isn't timeless; rather it's very dated - the "elephant", as I playfully refer to it, is a lowercase N in Bauhaus font, which had its heyday in the late 70s and early 80s, and is a font that you now only see in coffee shops that haven't printed new menus in thirty years. And the stick and puck just beats you over the head with "Hey, we're a hockey team!", and does so very unimaginatively.

I'm not suggesting that they should hire some BS marketing firm to manufacture a "cutting-edge" logo; I'm suggesting that there must be a way to create a logo that embodies Quebec City's hockey culture/history, while at the same time not looking like something that was just plucked out of a time capsule.

For what it's worth, I think the same thing about Vancouver's stick-in-a-box third jersey - just so you guys don't think I'm singling out Quebec for having a logo I don't particularly care for :)

The N, to us embodies Pro hockey in Quebec.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

The teeth gnashing from the relocation crowd, makes me almost as happy as the isles being locked into local leases for the next 28 yrs. :laugh:

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Serious Question (not trolling): Should a team be moved to Quebec (be it the Coyotes or whomever), would you guys embrace a new name / logo, or would you seriously boycott the team if it was named and branded anything but the Nordiques?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Serious Question (not trolling): Should a team be moved to Quebec (be it the Coyotes or whomever), would you guys embrace a new name / logo, or would you seriously boycott the team if it was named and branded anything but the Nordiques?

Some will definitely argue or even say they won't support the team if the team is not THE NORDIQUES and don't wear ''la Fleur de Lys'' with powder blue colors.

I, as hockey fan would take whatever we would get.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I'd hope they keep the Nordiques name but the logo looks really dated. They were on the brink of switching it out anyway.

I'm tired of this vintage/retro fad, honestly. Anyone who pines that hard for the old Nordiques days are going to have jerseys from that era anyway, how about we try coming up with something new for once? There are ways to pay homage to the past without ripping it wholesale.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I'd hope they keep the Nordiques name but the logo looks really dated. They were on the brink of switching it out anyway.

I'm tired of this vintage/retro fad, honestly. Anyone who pines that hard for the old Nordiques days are going to have jerseys from that era anyway, how about we try coming up with something new for once? There are ways to pay homage to the past without ripping it wholesale.

YUCK

wolf.gif

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

It has to be done right. I did my best to tread lightly in my earlier posts when suggesting that the Nords should take on a more modern-looking logo, because I know that even if it isn't the sexiest thing on the planet, there's still 40 years of social meaning that comes along with it, and you can't just toss that in the garbage.

I would imagine that most would be willing to embrace a new logo, however:
  • it can't be tacky
  • it can't be conceived from a purely marketing perspective
  • it should, in some way, acknowledge the city's hockey history (particularly 1979-1995)
  • it should, in some way, be representative of the history/culture of the city, and perhaps even the entire province.

There's 85 years of hockey history in Quebec City (the Quebec Aces began play in 1928), and over 400 years of history in the city proper. They have a hell of a lot to work with, and that's why I think they can do something way more evocative and connotative of what Québec really means, than a lower-case 'n' in a font that nobody's used (not even ironically) for thirty years.

calmdown

Jul 8, 2012
Quebec City
What ever is a logo you always see it with your eyes ;)

This logo is an "n" designed to look like an Igloo with a hockey stick and a puck... If somebody whant to see it as an elephant is just funny! Why not a lady bug? :shakehead

Dojji*

That is truly horrible. It has truly nothing to do with Quebec at all, and whatever a Nordique is, I'd be hard pressed to call it whatever the heck kind of ******* offshoot of the canid family that.. thing is.

The Quebec fleur de whatsit, that's the recognizable symbol of both the province of Quebec and QC. You don't need an icon for the Nordiques that isn't related to that.

fleur-de-lis.jpg

If you can't work that icon into a modern sports jersey, then you're a design challenged idiot. Heck just that with "Nordiques" at the top and a bit of blue-and-gold relief on the lettering and you're about 3/4 of the way there.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Okay let me add further to my owner question. What if the new owner, be it PKP or whoever, decided to go with a new name altogether dropping the Nordiques? Would that be embraced?

Personally when the return of the NHL to Winnipeg was announced I could careless what the team was called as long as it met the following criteria:

- Winnipeg (and not Manitoba)
- Not some stupid animal (aka Moose)
- Said something about our history

When they announced it to be the Winnipeg Jets, sure I was ecstatic. Then the hype started "well the logo should be the same as the past", personally I think TNSE hit the nail on the head with the new logo, it looks great and pays tribute to the RCAF.

I guess there is always people who will boycott if they don't get their way like little children.

Dojji*

What ever is a logo you always see it with your eyes ;)

This logo is an "n" designed to look like an Igloo with a hockey stick and a puck... If somebody whant to see it as an elephant is just funny! Why not a lady bug? :shakehead

The problem is that Quebec tends to be much too artsy and abstract in their designs of logos. Or did in the 60's and 70's when most of this stuff was designed. They tried to get too much done in the symbols they created.

It's why to this day half of fans don't realize the insignia of the Expos was actually a letter M. I'm not even sure all the Expos fans knew. I only asked a former Expos fan just a few years ago whatever the heck "ELB" had stood for and that's the first time I got a clue.

So the fact that a lot of fans saw the Nord symbol as an elephant is no surprise to me. And why the Habs' insignia really does kinda look like a toilet seat. The design is too artsy and abstract to accomplish what it sets out to do in the eyes of undiscerning fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

..... whatever helps you sleep at night. Isles weren't leaving Long Island to begin with, and whatever ember of a chance that there could've been a drastic ownership change to force a move is essentially dead now.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This was supposed to be new Nordiques uniforms if they would have stayed in Quebec after 1995.

96Nordsjersey.png

The logo I included up here was part of it. It is ugly and still is.

Now, a simple search on Google Images with ''Quebec Nordiques'' or ''Nordiques de Quebec'' keywords will give you plenty of ''fan made'' ideas making a new more modern logo while still keeping that old historical touch.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Okay let me add further to my owner question. What if the new owner, be it PKP or whoever, decided to go with a new name altogether dropping the Nordiques? Would that be embraced?

Personally when the return of the NHL to Winnipeg was announced I could careless what the team was called as long as it met the following criteria:

- Winnipeg (and not Manitoba)
- Not some stupid animal (aka Moose)
- Said something about our history

When they announced it to be the Winnipeg Jets, sure I was ecstatic. Then the hype started "well the logo should be the same as the past", personally I think TNSE hit the nail on the head with the new logo, it looks great and pays tribute to the RCAF.

I guess there is always people who will boycott if they don't get their way like little children.

I don't think people would, overall, agree with a name change, but it really doesn't matter that much, it's hockey we want. With that said, I don't see PKP choosing another name, especially considering there shouldn't be legal troubles, Winnipeg having the Jets name again. As for the logo, I could very well see it change, but keeping predominantly white and blue jerseys with some Fleur-de-Lys. Wouldn't be surprised some other kind of symbol of the city is at least hinted at.

Dojji*

In 10 years, fully 3/4 of the jerseys in the NHL will be blue and white.

I hope that any induction of a team back into Quebec will not result in yet ANOTHER jersey indistinguishable from a distance from the 3-4 teams already following this trend.

Show some dignity and individuality. There's plenty of tasteful ways to make blue and gold look modern and interesting.

Besides, in a league with jersey color schemes like that of the Flyers and Oilers, and both of these teams being quite successful, it's not like standing out with a unique and individual scheme (read: something you wouldn't wear to a dance party for blind people) hurts a team.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
It has to be done right. I did my best to tread lightly in my earlier posts when suggesting that the Nords should take on a more modern-looking logo, because I know that even if it isn't the sexiest thing on the planet, there's still 40 years of social meaning that comes along with it, and you can't just toss that in the garbage.

I would imagine that most would be willing to embrace a new logo, however:
  • it can't be tacky
  • it can't be conceived from a purely marketing perspective
  • it should, in some way, acknowledge the city's hockey history (particularly 1972-1995)
  • it should, in some way, be representative of the history/culture of the city, and perhaps even the entire province.

There's 104 years of pro hockey history in Quebec City (the Quebec Aces began play in 1928), and over 400 years of history in the city proper. They have a hell of a lot to work with, and that's why I think they can do something way more evocative and connotative of what Québec really means, than a lower-case 'n' in a font that nobody's used (not even ironically) for thirty years.

Ahem, Quebec Bulldogs (aka Quebec Athletic Club and Quebec Hockey Club) and WHA.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
Should Peladeay choose not to go the Nordiques route, which i really doubt, I suggest he ask Jacques Tanguay, Patrick Roy and Michel Cadrin how much it would cost to have the rights to the trademarks of the AHL Citadelles.

Even if I hated that team because it was a slap in the face from the enemy, I will say that I liked the uniforms and logos.

preview_550_35364.jpg

QuebecCitadelles99-00B.png
53-f.jpg

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Should Peladeay choose not to go the Nordiques route, which i really doubt, I suggest he ask Jacques Tanguay, Patrick Roy and Michel Cadrin how much it would cost to have the rights to the trademarks of the AHL Citadelles.

Even if I hated that team because it was a slap in the face from the enemy, I will say that I liked the uniforms and logos.

preview_550_35364.jpg

QuebecCitadelles99-00B.png
53-f.jpg

Looks like the old Sabres jerseys. As long as it's Blue and white and it has Fleurs de lys I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad