Ville de Québec - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Our non UFA forward group also has a lot of European upside in Vrbata, Hanzal, Korpikoski, and Boedker. As well as some French upside in Vermette and Brule. That's already six of twelve.

Your whole analysis is right on but Brule definitely won't be qualified at 1.85 million, so he'll be a UFA.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Already making trades and evaluating the roster? Wow.

heh, kind of my reaction, too. Nothing wrong about wondering if they got a team back and wondering if they'd keep the old logo and introduce a new one, but talking about potential roster moves does seem like the ultimate example of counting your chickens before the eggs hatch. :laugh:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Brule has fit like a glove. He can he UFA and still opt to come back to the organization.

lol, my last sentence was actually "he could still re-sign with the team though" and I deleted it before I posted :laugh:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
heh, kind of my reaction, too. Nothing wrong about wondering if they got a team back and wondering if they'd keep the old logo and introduce a new one, but talking about potential roster moves does seem like the ultimate example of counting your chickens before the eggs hatch. :laugh:

I'm kinda responsible for the turn the discussion took and I apologize for it. My only intention was to explain why, as a fan of the "potential" Nordiques, it might be better if the Coyotes miss the playoffs. Of course, I wish their fans that they DO make it and I also wish them that they stay in the desert. I didn't want to antagonize anyone.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think the logo is coming back, maybe with some Blue Jays-style mods but it's telling that the arena model had the Nordiques logo and PKP has been seen in Nordiques gear. David Thomson wanted NOTHING to do with the classic Jets logo.

Hmmmmm.

I never once heard this from Thomson. Do you have a source? link?

I know that he really liked the Jets name.:handclap:

I can't wait for the Nordiques jersey unveil.;)

'Jets is a fine name,' Winnipeg franchise's co-owner says

MAKE that one vote -- one very big vote -- in the "Winnipeg Jets" corner.

David Thomson, Canada's richest man and newly minted co-owner of the new NHL franchise in town, weighed in on the moniker debate Tuesday.

"I think the Jets is a fine name," Thomson said. "(The team's name) is something we will have to think hard about. And swiftly."

Growing up in Toronto, Thomson said he played hockey and aspired to one day play in the NHL.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...nipeg-franchises-co-owner-says-122927053.html

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Dang, seems like there are new Nordiques fans signing up to these boards every day.

FM93 is taking this seriously : http://www.jaimadate.com/

This is eerily reminiscent of a radio station in Winnipeg holding season ticket giveaways before the announcement of the Winnipeg Jets return was officially announced.

http://forum.zwap.com/threads/hot103live-com-win-winnipeg-jets-season-tickets-end-june-1-once.15526/

I love it! I can't wait to renew an old WHA rivalry.

I am still a little bitter about this night.:sarcasm:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
This is eerily reminiscent of a radio station in Winnipeg holding season ticket giveaways before the announcement of the Winnipeg Jets return was officially announced.

http://forum.zwap.com/threads/hot103live-com-win-winnipeg-jets-season-tickets-end-june-1-once.15526/

I love it! I can't wait to renew an old WHA rivalry.

I am still a little bitter about this night.:sarcasm:

LOL The puck is missing on the Nordiques logo!

Another sign of CBC's conspiration against Quebec! :laugh::laugh:

Gumper

Jul 16, 2010
Dallas
Well, since this is my first post on this forum (wonderful btw) allow me to ask a question re: the status of Dave Tippett.

Does he start looking at real estate in Quebec City? Does he speak French? Will PKP keep him and his staff?

Jacques Martin is still available I believe.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
OT: Quebec Students On Strike How It Will Affect Nordiques

in quebec, the students are protesting increased tuition fees....

how do this problem affect the nordiques? since tax money is going to build an arena to attract a future NHL team.....

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/07/quebec-students-strike-now-pay-later

The “social contract†in social-democratic Quebec was supposed to mean that we pay more but get more public services. It pretended to be a “just society†where redistribution involved taxing the rich a bit more to give a bit more to the poor. We now realize that, in reality, redistribution means taxing our young and future generations to give to their parents and grandparents.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City

how do this problem affect the nordiques? since tax money is going to build an arena to attract a future NHL team.....

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/07/quebec-students-strike-now-pay-later

First, I don't get the link between that and the arena. An explanation would be appreciated.

Second, and that's not related to the topic at hand, the annual university fee in the article isn't right and I find it horrible how a lot of media people generalize with «the students». Like that was a political party or something.

To GUMPER: Please, no Jacques Martin...

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Well, since this is my first post on this forum (wonderful btw) allow me to ask a question re: the status of Dave Tippett.

Does he start looking at real estate in Quebec City? Does he speak French? Will PKP keep him and his staff?

Jacques Martin is still available I believe.

Difference with QC and Winnipeg is Québec/Quebecor doesn't have a professional team like WPG did when they got the Trashers, therefore we don't have much professional experience and we should (in a scenario where the Coyotes move here) try to keep the key management pieces such as Maloney and Tippett. We would need some experience to start with.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Difference with QC and Winnipeg is Québec/Quebecor doesn't have a professional team like WPG did when they got the Trashers, therefore we don't have much professional experience and we should (in a scenario where the Coyotes move here) try to keep the key management pieces such as Maloney and Tippett. We would need some experience to start with.

Highly unlikely

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007

AFAIK, the students haven't brought it up as an argument (i.e. on the basis of inconsistency?). But IMO they shouldn't, other than maybe as a symbolic point, which Duhaime, a well-known "small government" conservative in Quebec, makes in his article -- IIRC the tuition hike will bring over 250M/year in extra fees to universities vs. basically a one-time 200M investment for the arena (Quebec City will foot the bill for the other 200M).

Second, and that's not related to the topic at hand, the annual university fee in the article isn't right and I find it horrible how a lot of media people generalize with «the students». Like that was a political party or something.

Agree on media, and that it is OT, but I thought annual tuition was $2168 not $1968, is that what you're talking about?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am 100% for Malone/Tippett.

The only impact the student's thing have is on Montreal city traffic.

Tippett has been in the southwestern US for something like eighteen years now. I'm not sure a move to Quebec is totally likely.

Maloney, on the other hand, spent his whole career prior to Phoenix up in the Northeast.

Now i absolutely love this pair. Amazing team. Maloney knows precisely how to get Tippett players and Tippett knows exactly how to get them most out of them. And they can do it for pennies on the dollar.

I'm not sure thats the best way for a team in QC, though.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Bob Hartley is a columnist on Québecor's newspapers (while still coaching the Zurich Lions) and was coaching the Québec team in the BS Qc-Mtl tv series. I'd say in the case of a team coming this year and if Patrick Roy takes the job in Montreal, Hartley is highly probable.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Tippett has been in the southwestern US for something like eighteen years now. I'm not sure a move to Quebec is totally likely.

Tippett is an NHL head coach by profession; there are a total of 30 of those jobs available worldwide. I think you are overestimating the lure of the southwestern US. I'd bet he'd go wherever an NHL opportunity exists for him.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc

Maloney, on the other hand, spent his whole career prior to Phoenix up in the Northeast.

Now i absolutely love this pair. Amazing team. Maloney knows precisely how to get Tippett players and Tippett knows exactly how to get them most out of them. And they can do it for pennies on the dollar.

I'm not sure thats the best way for a team in QC, though.

At least, Tippett got my support. If he wants to, he would be my man.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Bob Hartley is a columnist on Québecor's newspapers (while still coaching the Zurich Lions) and was coaching the Québec team in the BS Qc-Mtl tv series. I'd say in the case of a team coming this year and if Patrick Roy takes the job in Montreal, Hartley is highly probable.

The way your write, it seems Patrick Roy have the job if he wants to.

Not sure. He is too emotive. He'll get the umpires against Qc in a snap.

Bob is a fine person, but got a bad reputation with the players. Unfortunately for him, ihs time have passed.

My bet is Michel Therrien, that is, second behind Tippett.

Scottrocks58*

Tippett is an NHL head coach by profession; there are a total of 30 of those jobs available worldwide. I think you are overestimating the lure of the southwestern US. I'd bet he'd go wherever an NHL opportunity exists for him.

Tippet, like all of us, saw the brutal welcome given to the Habs new head coach. With Tip's stature, he will probably avoid Quebec like the plague and land a nice job elsewhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

He's top five in the world at what he does. Jobs fight over him, he doesnt fight over jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad