Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
Continued from Part II:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1080183

NHL Saturday: Quebec wisely offers silent treatment

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/10/nhl-saturday-quebec-wisely-offers-silent-treatment

As the clock ticks in Phoenix on the fate of the Coyotes, it's interesting to note the Cone of Silence has descended in Quebec City where Marcel Aubut, still a hockey power-broker, and Regis Lebeaume, the once chatty mayor, have dialled down the rhetoric.

That pattern served True North Sport and Entertainment well in Winnipeg in its quest to land an NHL franchise.

Things went dark in Winnipeg and then, boom, True North was announcing it had bought the Atlanta Thrashers and turned them into the Jets 2.0.

In researching a two-part piece on the Coyotes, the status of Quebec City and the potential return of NHL hockey there -- which will be published Sunday and Monday -- it was interesting to find fewer and fewer people willing to wax philosophical about Quebec's charms as a soft landing spot for the Coyotes.

[...]

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Kimota - Just go check out a Shawinigan-Québec game and you'll know exactly what Gormley is all about... Gormley (like all of the Cataractes ;) ) get completely shut down whenever the other teams tries to out hit them though... At least from what I've seen.

Also, the Sens trade you (Montréal and Québec) the rights to a swath of eastern Ontario for the right to draft from the City of Gatineau first. :yo:

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
When i was naming the Coyotes defenceman of the future, i forgot to name David Runblad who they got from the Senators in the Kyle Turis trade. So the defence is set for the future

Yandle Ekman-Larsson
Runblad Gormley
Summers Goncharov

all of them 6'2'' or more except Goncharov who is 6'0.

Smith has been terrific in goal this year, he his finally fulfilling his potential. SO the Nords would be set on the backhand for many years, if of course Phoenix would move here

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Claude Lapointe tonight on l'antichambre on RDS, man he has aged...

He's saying that when Habs GM Pierre Gauther was headscout of the Nords, he didn't want anything to do with Claude. Didn't want to draft him. But the Nords did it anyway. Then one day Goat came to the dressing room and Claude was injured in one leg and PG approached him, touched at his leg in a bragging manner but did not speak to him. Lapointe was so mad at him that he did everything he could to make the team and prove Gauthier that he was wrong.

To think this fool is the Habs' GM. :shakehead

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Tell you what, the more i come to think of it, the more its evident there was a huge cocain problem in the Nords dressing room. Kordic died of it. Fogarty as well. Now Lapointe tells he had some

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I knew that part. There was a show I watched on Tele-Quebec last year explaining all of this in details about Claude having had drug problems. I was shocked as well as he has always been a good, honest guy.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I knew that part. There was a show I watched on Tele-Quebec last year explaining all of this in details about Claude having had drug problems. I was shocked as well as he has always been a good, honest guy.

One of my favorite Nords player ever

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Tell you what, the more i come to think of it, the more its evident there was a huge cocain problem in the Nords dressing room. Kordic died of it. Fogarty as well. Now Lapointe tells he had some

The first magor case for the Nords was Jacques Richard in the 80s. All the talent in the World, the guy was a 50 goals scorer and in just 3 years his career was over.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just finished listening to the Bob McCown roundtable and it was pretty exciting stuff. They talked about the Yotes coming to Quebec as a fait accomplit, a done deal.

And in their view the NHL cannot come to any other conclusions. Interesting part is where Bob mention that franchises for teams could cost differently per territory so if there's a team in Ontario since it would be worth more it would cost a half million to put a team there. And they mention Gary maybe wanting for PKP to buy the Yotes at high price to recoup some of the money lost in the Yotes venture and to make the rest of the NHL happy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
When i was naming the Coyotes defenceman of the future, i forgot to name David Runblad who they got from the Senators in the Kyle Turis trade. So the defence is set for the future

Yandle Ekman-Larsson
Runblad Gormley
Summers Goncharov

all of them 6'2'' or more except Goncharov who is 6'0.

Smith has been terrific in goal this year, he his finally fulfilling his potential. SO the Nords would be set on the backhand for many years, if of course Phoenix would move here

If we get the team, next year will be a tough year "performance" wise. We will likely lose a couple of forwards and I don't think we have a shot at top UFAs. Maybe we'll get lucky and get McKinnon :) However, the defense seems set for years and Smith is playing great this year. The biggest concern is do PKP keeps Tippet or not. I hope so, but I don't think he will. He will likely want to go with a French-speaking management, which I understand, but I think Maloney and Tippet have done a GREAT job considering the context they are working in.

IMO, they deserve a shot to finish what they started. I don't think they will be given that chance, but they should. The fans will understand. We want a good team, not a French team. Speaking of local players, I'd love the Yotes to trade Shane Doan to the Hawks for Philippe Danault. Would be great to have a Victoriaville boy to cheer for :)

Last edited:

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
If we get the team, next year will be a tough year "performance" wise. We will likely lose a couple of forwards and I don't think we have a shot at top UFAs. Maybe we'll get lucky and get McKinnon :) However, the defense seems set for years and Smith is playing great this year. The biggest concern is do PKP keeps Tippet or not. I hope so, but I don't think he will. He will likely want to go with a French-speaking management, which I understand, but I think Maloney and Tippet have done a GREAT job considering the context they are working in.

IMO, they deserve a shot to finish what they started. I don't think they will be given that chance, but they should. The fans will understand. We want a good team, not a French team. Speaking of local players, I'd love the Yotes to trade Shane Doan to the Hawks for Philippe Danault. Would be great to have a Victoriaville boy to cheer for :)

Tippet has done a great job... Maloney i am not so sure

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Maloney made some terrible trades. The Mueller for Wolski trade was terrible. He traded Turris for Runblad. I hope Runblad is really good cause Turris has been terrific in Ottawa.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Maloney made some terrible trades. The Mueller for Wolski trade was terrible. He traded Turris for Runblad. I hope Runblad is really good cause Turris has been terrific in Ottawa.

Turris didn't want to be there, at least Mahoney got a good prospect in return.

But to be honest, I love Tippet, but I'd like to see what Patrick Roy could do as a coach. Michel Goulet as the GM and Roy as the coach would be great, especially for us as fans since the team is likely to struggle at first. Goulet has been a scout or assistant GM for years and Roy is ready to take the next step. I'd be interested in a guy like Julien Brisebois too. He is a cap wizard and Tampa Bay would have to let him go if he receives an offer for a GM spot. The Habs could try to bring him back if they decide to let Gauthier go, but hopefully, the Nordiques can have a shot at someone like him.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Most of us on the Sens board were initially mad at the trade (though we aren't anymore). Runblad has tonnes of potential, just needs to cut back on the turnovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad