Ville de Québec - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Tippett is a good coach but would be the last choice possible in a place like Quebec. Because he's not the most media-friendly and coachs a trapping defensive style. JM lasted 2 years in Montreal, Tippett would last less than that. Dude brings in the boring.

He may bring the boring, but I think you all wouldn't mind the prospect of being a consistent playoff contender while Montreal flounders at the bottom of the East. :laugh:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Haha. So QC would get rid of the Maloney - Tippett tandem, arguably one of the best in the league? Good luck folks.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
But seriously, I would hope the Nordiques2.0 would learn a lesson from their neighbors to the south in Quebec. The focus on the wrong items has set the Canadiens back years in my opinion.

Exactly, they should focus on what last made them a winner. The last time the Habs won the Cup, their priorities were straight. What made them a winning team then? Patrick Roy. Ergo, the Nords should focus on Patrick Roy. ;)

No but seriously, the Habs' decline started when they relied on fewer french canadians in key roles.

1992-93: 3rd place in Division, Cup champs.

Damphousse, Lebeau, Savard, Dionne, DiPietro, Desjardins, Brisebois, Daigneault, Carbonneau and Roy. Not an incredibly strong group, but they played their hearts out.
Skrudland, Muller, Bellows, Keane, LeClair, Schneider, Haller, Leeman, Odelein were others of note. Leadership seems to best define these guys.

Leading scorer: Damphousse
Leading defenceman: Desjardins
Goaltender: Roy
Coach: Demers

Better scouting in Quebec just makes so much sense on so many levels.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I don't see Yzerman letting Boucher go.

I don't want him either, at least not for the firsts seasons. My point was pulse is fun for reporters, but does not always bring success.

I think many have disproportionate ideas and think a championship is months away. Be realist people.

What do people want? A coach fun (or a disgrace) to watch at any price or something that already works?

It's not your money that is in play. Péladeau's accountant will tell him to minimize in any way possible the financial losses, at least the first 3 years in the Colisee, so a turn in the playoffs is a no-brainer.

Hey this his NHL guys, not the junior league that is kneeing before Casseau.

AllezlesBleus

Mar 8, 2012
Belgium
Peladeau is a smart person. It won't be Roy, who constantly saying Nords 2.0 won't work.

André Desmarais of Power Coporation invested last year in Les Remparts de Québec. With Jacques Tanguay and Patrick Roy, he became one of the owners of this hockey team. Power Coporation = Gesca, and Gesca is the economic enemy of Quebecor. Those are two main media company in Québec.

In the newspapers, they told us that Desmarais' interest in junior hockey was a way for him to give back to the community. I don't believe this. I think that it was a way to be implicated in the sport life of Quebec City and keep some influence in la vieille Capitale.

So Roy is the partner of Desmarais. I think that he would not work for Peladeau. No affinities.

Roy also told that he would coach junior hockey as long as his sons are playing. Frederick Roy (20 years old) is at his last possible year in junior hockey. Could this mean a change of career for Patrick?

My guess: Roy would rather work for the Habs than for the Nords. He will stay with the Remparts at least until 2015 (the Remparts hopes to host the Memorial Cup championship Quebec City) and he will wait for a solid proposition for a coaching spot in the NHL.

That scenario will be true IF the Remparts are able to stay in Québec's sport market with the possible reboot of the Nordiques.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
André Desmarais of Power Coporation invested last year in Les Remparts de Québec. With Jacques Tanguay and Patrick Roy, he became one of the owners of this hockey team. Power Coporation = Gesca, and Gesca is the economic enemy of Quebecor. Those are two main media company in Québec.

In the newspapers, they told us that Desmarais' interest in junior hockey was a way for him to give back to the community. I don't believe this. I think that it was a way to be implicated in the sport life of Quebec City and keep some influence in la vieille Capitale.

So Roy is the partner of Desmarais. I think that he would not work for Peladeau. No affinities.

Roy also told that he would coach junior hockey as long as his sons are playing. Frederick Roy (20 years old) is at his last possible year in junior hockey. Could this mean a change of career for Patrick?

My guess: Roy would rather work for the Habs than for the Nords. He will stay with the Remparts at least until 2015 (the Remparts hopes to host the Memorial Cup championship Quebec City) and he will wait for a solid proposition for a coaching spot in the NHL.

That scenario will be true IF the Remparts are able to stay in Québec's sport market with the possible reboot of the Nordiques.

Of course, we are speculating. I would be very very surprised.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
hartley-bob-2.jpg

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
6969454967_068b2b06c8.jpg

or, if really really necessary

6823327610_80890506f6.jpg

LOL

And guys, TAKE YOUR TIME on the language thing. If there's a team, there will be plenty of time ahead. Anyway, you do know coaches don't stay lot more then, say 3 or 4 years. There's always come a time the message doesnt get thru. Take your time.

Was'nt Jacques Martin the most neutral person to watch behind the bench? This did not prevent to get 21000 people in the Bell center.

What we want is be competitive, not showmen. Be patient.

Last edited:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Can I propose a name for the next thread. Something else then Quebec city part 4.

Why not: Rendez-vous in Quebec city?? (Qc city part 4)

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
How's that worked out for them? And for us? There you have it.
That is not at all relevant to our conversation, actually. You first claimed that “jobs fight over himâ€, and I replied that he was in fact fired from his previous gig. One could speculate that jobs may indeed some day in the future “fight over himâ€, though the reality of his recent history (termination by Dallas) refutes your claim. In fact, he then went on to take the prestigious job of coaching the Phoenix Coyotes; it is not as if the Canadiens and Leafs had a bidding war over his services, we are talking about the coach of the Coyotes here after all. A Phoenix playoff spot this season is hardly a certainty as of this moment BTW. Seems like an actual top 5 coach, one in charge of a veteran laden team would have his squad in a more solid position by now?

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
The days are moving along and still no local owner deal in Phoenix. Seattle is out of the race for this year. It looks good, we are getting closer to getting our Nordiques back!!! :handclap::handclap:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I don't see Roy staying in the Q next year. I think he's had enough. So forget about 2015. I garantee he'll either be with the Habs or the Nords next year.

And in his heart, he'd rather stay in Quebec. So draw your own conclusion.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
6969454967_068b2b06c8.jpg

or, if really really necessary

6823327610_80890506f6.jpg

LOL

And guys, TAKE YOUR TIME on the language thing. If there's a team, there will be plenty of time ahead. Anyway, you do know coaches don't stay lot more then, say 3 or 4 years. There's always come a time the message doesnt get thru. Take your time.

Was'nt Jacques Martin the most neutral person to watch behind the bench? This did not prevent to get 21000 people in the Bell center.

What we want is be competitive, not showmen. Be patient.

Peladeau wants to buy the Nordiques to do what he couldn't do in buying Montreal, give the team a french identity that people can relate to. It's for easy to figure out what he's gonna do.

Also people hated Martin in Montreal, people were saying he did not communicate enough. You need communicators, PKP knows that what happened in Montreal was innexcusable. He has the ears of the fans.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The days are moving along and still no local owner deal in Phoenix. Seattle is out of the race for this year. It looks good, we are getting closer to getting our Nordiques back!!! :handclap::handclap:
It would be great to see a team back in Quebec...Rejean Tremblay could be the President and GM...;)

All jokes aside, it would be awesome to get the Nordiques and Habs back in the Battle again...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That is not at all relevant to our conversation, actually. You first claimed that “jobs fight over him”, and I replied that he was in fact fired from his previous gig. One could speculate that jobs may indeed some day in the future “fight over him”, though the reality of his recent history (termination by Dallas) refutes your claim. In fact, he then went on to take the prestigious job of coaching the Phoenix Coyotes; it is not as if the Canadiens and Leafs had a bidding war over his services, we are talking about the coach of the Coyotes here after all. A Phoenix playoff spot this season is hardly a certainty as of this moment BTW. Seems like an actual top 5 coach, one in charge of a veteran laden team would have his squad in a more solid position by now?

The condescending tone and lack of knowledge in this post is hilarious. Dave Tippett is one of the winningest coaches in the league post lockout. Don Maloney has assembled a playoff team without an owner, contract flexibility or a large budget. If the Coyotes make the playoffs this year they will have managed to get the hopeless Phoenix Coyotes into the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons; no Canadian franchise outside of Vancouver will have done that, despite much larger budgets. They both are respected and have the awards to show just what the league thinks of them. Should the QC franchise fire them, they will be the top coach and GM candidates available.

I will be very disappointed if the QC team focuses solely on being french rather than an actual hockey organization. It's stupid. More importantly, it doesn't work. The fact that you guys would cast away one of the best coach/GM tandems in the league so readily is disappointing. I expected QC fans to be a little more knowledgeable. Hearing that the potential owner is "all about da french" ruins, for me, what would otherwise be a great destination for the team. If the new owner was smart he'd do everything possible to keep Tippett and Maloney with the organization. With more resources and fans provided by QC, those 2 could easily deliver a cup to the Nordiques.

Isn't that why the games are played?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The condescending tone and lack of knowledge in this post is hilarious. Dave Tippett is one of the winningest coaches in the league post lockout. Don Maloney has assembled a playoff team without an owner, contract flexibility or a large budget. If the Coyotes make the playoffs this year they will have managed to get the hopeless Phoenix Coyotes into the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons; no Canadian franchise outside of Vancouver will have done that, despite much larger budgets. They both are respected and have the awards to show just what the league thinks of them. Should the QC franchise fire them, they will be the top coach and GM candidates available.

I will be very disappointed if the QC team focuses solely on being french rather than an actual hockey organization. It's stupid. More importantly, it doesn't work. The fact that you guys would cast away one of the best coach/GM tandems in the league so readily is disappointing. I expected QC fans to be a little more knowledgeable. Hearing that the potential owner is "all about da french" ruins, for me, what would otherwise be a great destination for the team. If the new owner was smart he'd do everything possible to keep Tippett and Maloney with the organization. With more resources and fans provided by QC, those 2 could easily deliver a cup to the Nordiques.

Don't rely on what you read here. This does may reflect what some fans think, but certainly not what a smart businessman think.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Dave Tippett is one of the winningest coaches in the league post lockout. Don Maloney has assembled a playoff team without an owner, contract flexibility or a large budget. If the Coyotes make the playoffs this year they will have managed to get the hopeless Phoenix Coyotes into the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons; no Canadian franchise outside of Vancouver will have done that, despite much larger budgets. They both are respected and have the awards to show just what the league thinks of them. Should the QC franchise fire them, they will be the top coach and GM candidates available.

I'm well aware of Tippett's record while coaching veteran teams and utilizing team defense to accomplish his recent won/loss record. Coaching vet teams while developing a slight number of young players is hardly that great an accomplishment; it speaks to Maloney's good work as GM on a shoestring budget as much or more-so than it does to any supposed superior coaching.

If you had actually followed the line of conversation in the thread, not once did I suggest that Quebec should fire him, but rather I refuted the suggestion that Tippett would be more likely to stay in the Southwest to coach. Given that he is an NHL head coach and that only 30 such jobs exist, surely he'd be open to any head coaching opportunity, regardless of the locale. He currently coaches the Coyotes in Phoenix after all.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I sais it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again: I will teach them French myself if this is what it is needed. I want the Nords to have the best managemenent team possible!

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm well aware of Tippett's record while coaching veteran teams and utilizing team defense to accomplish his recent won/loss record. Coaching vet teams while developing a slight number of young players is hardly that great an accomplishment; it speaks to Maloney's good work as GM on a shoestring budget as much or more-so than it does to any supposed superior coaching.

If you had actually followed the line of conversation in the thread, not once did I suggest that Quebec should fire him, but rather I refuted the suggestion that Tippett would be more likely to stay in the Southwest to coach. Given that he is an NHL head coach and that only 30 such jobs exist, surely he'd be open to any head coaching opportunity, regardless of the locale. He currently coaches the Coyotes in Phoenix after all.

You refuted nothing. You don't need to defend your knowledge of Dave Tippett or the Phoenix Coyotes. It could not be more clear just how limited it is. This is a Nordiques thread, however, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad