Ville de Québec Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreaterikku

Jan 10, 2012
St-Ambroise
I am pretty sure it will be like Montreal in the high 80-90%.

Hopefully, those with J'ai Ma Place will be able to choose first (got two) but I don't get my hope that high. Will still buy two either way.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Yeah, I can totally see Jacques and Pierre looking at each other when the email comes for the chance to buy the first Quebec Nordiques tickets in 18 years and saying "But there's wooden seats! Nah...".

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I paid NHL prices for two years in the Cow Palace - same at the Ottawa Civic Center and other interim venues.

And remember, when tickets for that hypothetical new arena for that hypothetical new Nordiques go on sale priority will almost certainly go to existing (ie Colisee) STHs - ie if you want tickets at the new arena you will have to pay for a season or two at the Colisee.

Exactly.

If the Flames could play in the Corral, the Nordiques 2.0 can play in the Colisee.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
Never been to the Colisee before, but I have to ask... is it as bad of a venue as people are making it out to be?

no

The Colisée before 2008 :

colisee-3.jpg

http://www.hotelquebec.com/colisee-pepsi-quebec.htm

The Colisée after 2008 :

colisee.jpg

Last edited:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
Don't overbuild the market. 18k may be too big. You have to remember in constructing an arena the last seat you build is the furthest away, it is the most costly to build (structurally everything gets bigger with larger bowls) and generates the smallest amount of revenue given it's location.

Then from a marketing standpoint, if you ever get to the point that there are empty seats you start losing your leverage on pricing in a hurry (see Ottawa during their dark days, Calgary in the mid 90's, Edm, Columbus, FLA, ATL, PHX, TB, NYI).

Nope, better with a smaller building, 16k to 16.5k for a market the size of QC would be perfect.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Don't overbuild the market. 18k may be too big. You have to remember in constructing an arena the last seat you build is the furthest away, it is the most costly to build (structurally everything gets bigger with larger bowls) and generates the smallest amount of revenue given it's location.

Then from a marketing standpoint, if you ever get to the point that there are empty seats you start losing your leverage on pricing in a hurry (see Ottawa during their dark days, Calgary in the mid 90's, Edm, Columbus, FLA, ATL, PHX, TB, NYI).

Nope, better with a smaller building, 16k to 16.5k for a market the size of QC would be perfect.

People on this board don't seem to understand that it'll be used for much more than hockey. We're not getting any shows over here just because the current Colisée isn't wide enough to fit best groups' stages.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
Five Questions: Quebec City as an NHL city, plus Oilers
By Glenn Healy

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...s-quebec-city-as-an-nhl-city-plus-oilers.html

2. Winnipeg is making a comeback, what do you think the odds are Quebec City will see another team again, or do you think other cities should get the nod instead?
From Mathew Hornak

Quebec City in my mind would be a great landing spot for an existing or new NHL team. My personal opinion as to why they left in 1995 differs from what was portrayed in the press. Yes, the dollar was at .72 cents and ownership wanted a new rink paid for by the public, but when you buy a team for $15 million in 1988 and can sell it for $103 million 13 years later that is profit in a big way.

Here is why I think it would work. It is the seventh largest metropolitan region in Canada with a population making on average $41K. The region has a strong business base to support the team so even if the team struggles the community will provide financial support. The arena and the Canadian dollar are issues that still exist but strong revenue sharing can hedge against any weakness in the dollar. Build it and the NHL will come, just as they did in Winnipeg.

More numbers : http://www.quebecinternational.ca/economic-statistics/overview

Last edited:

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Wow Glen Healy i like more and more. He really gets it. And whats good is he has been a big guy in the NHLPA. Hopes more people in the NHLPA has is vision.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

People on this board don't seem to understand that it'll be used for much more than hockey. We're not getting any shows over here just because the current Colisée isn't wide enough to fit best groups' stages.

The arena needs to be sized for the primary use, that's hockey, full stop. Other events are gravy, if the rinkis too big for hockey long term the whole thing won't work.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
The arena needs to be sized for the primary use, that's hockey, full stop. Other events are gravy, if the rinkis too big for hockey long term the whole thing won't work.

The rink will be NHL Regulation size, don't worry.

What SC meant is that the Colisée's seating area can't be moved to make place for a large stage like in all modern arenas, because it was made of concrete 61 years ago.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

The MTS Centre is one of the busiest arenas in North America in part because its "3/4" size actually helps attract even more acts to it. Acts that go to PNE in Vancouver or the Corral or Mac Hall in Calgary use the MTS when in Winnipeg and its still big enough to get the big acts as well.

I'd say that ~16-16,500 is the best way to go as well. Less cost to build and operate and is easier to maximize the earning potential of it. Quebec will never be able to maximize the potential of an 18,000+ arena like Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver can and because of the size and corporate base of the city will feel any dropoff quicker and steeper.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
17k 17.5k will be better because of marketability and availability of single walk-ups to help create a STH base in the future.

Future development is important too.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
The rink will be NHL Regulation size, don't worry.

What SC meant is that the Colisée's seating area can't be moved to make place for a large stage like in all modern arenas, because it was made of concrete 61 years ago.

Not the rink, the arena capacity... 16.5k will be the sweet spot for a market like QC.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Well I just wandered over to J'ai Ma Place website and thanks to Google translator was able to read through the pages.

Anyone not in a ticket group yet should be in one and get their money in. This looks like a great way to reserve your spot for NHL hockey.

The Winnipeg reference is fantastic. These seats aren't being reserved for Celine Dion homecoming concerts.

If I read correctly I see 3939 seat agreements are sold. That is probably higher than the NHL team currently playing in Arizona's ST base and at higher prices.

It will be great to see the Nords back in the league.:handclap:

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Well I just wandered over to J'ai Ma Place website and thanks to Google translator was able to read through the pages.

Anyone not in a ticket group yet should be in one and get their money in. This looks like a great way to reserve your spot for NHL hockey.

The Winnipeg reference is fantastic. These seats aren't being reserved for Celine Dion homecoming concerts.

If I read correctly I see 3939 seat agreements are sold. That is probably higher than the NHL team currently playing in Arizona's ST base and at higher prices.

It will be great to see the Nords back in the league.:handclap:

J'ai ma place will make the tickets sales extremely hard to manage though. It is a permanent asset that will give you a priority for decades. It's also pretty hard to buy a seat as a group as the priority is for the seat you buy, so the question should be : who the **** will get to see the 1st game? Also add that, for your seat to give the same priority for hockey (as long as Quebecor manages the arena) you have to buy season tickets for 4 out of 5 years continuously. If you don't buy a ST package for 2 years in a row, your seat becomes available for the public (hockey only, as stated).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
J'ai ma place will make the tickets sales extremely hard to manage though. It is a permanent asset that will give you a priority for decades. It's also pretty hard to buy a seat as a group as the priority is for the seat you buy, so the question should be : who the **** will get to see the 1st game?

Fight about that later. Don't be left in the cold. Guys in my Jets ticket group are just thankful to have tickets. Opening night was great but every night is great. So many were left out.

Some Quebec media should corner Bettman at the All-star game. If he says that he doesn't want to raise the fans of Quebecs expectations that means that Quebec is getting a team for sure. He means the opposite of what he says.

SilverPlaqueVII

Dec 5, 2011
Scarborough, ON
Fight about that later. Don't be left in the cold. Guys in my Jets ticket group are just thankful to have tickets. Opening night was great but every night is great. So many were left out.

Some Quebec media should corner Bettman at the All-star game. If he says that he doesn't want to raise the fans of Quebecs expectations that means that Quebec is getting a team for sure. He means the opposite of what he says.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-64858047-1220582722.jpg

I'm pretty sure it will help. The Coyotes had got to go after this season. The NHL will decide the Phoenix situation at the ASG. They're 20th in the league, even though they have no owner and relication is possible. If this doesnt go through, I believe IMHO, Columbus is next since they're dead last this season. IDK if the BJs attendance is going down.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Colisée Pepsi will be fine for 2-3 seasons. Fans in Canada will pay money to see the NHL regardless of the arena. If anyone makes the argument that fans wont pay 60-80 bucks a ticket to see the Nordiques in the Colisée Pepsi, they're nuts and they know nothing about hockey in Canada. Heck, I paid 75 bucks for tickets in the upper level here in Saskatoon when the Oilers played the Islanders in an exhibition game, and so did 15 000 other people.

It's going to work, it's going to make more money than they are in Phoenix (breaking even would be more money than Phoenix), and it's going to improve the health of the league by doing it. You have to sell hockey in the desert. You don't have to sell hockey here in Canada.

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
NHL team to Quebec City, MLB team to Montreal, NBA team to Vancouver, NFL team to Toronto, CFL team to Ottawa.

Make it happen!

Next NFL team to move should definitely, 100% go to LA. It's more than silly that they still haven't gotten a team back. I would take an NBA team, but I wouldn't go out of my way to support it more than casually because I don't respect the NBA as a league and I'd rather watch hockey and football. Ottawa will have a CFL team in 2 years, I would like to see one in Halifax, if they ever build a stadium. They could do what the Lions did when BC Place was being renovated and build a stadium in a matter of months. NHL in Quebec? No question, but I want Seattle after that.

Last edited:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Colisée Pepsi will be fine for 2-3 seasons. Fans in Canada will pay money to see the NHL regardless of the arena. If anyone makes the argument that fans wont pay 60-80 bucks a ticket to see the Nordiques in the Colisée Pepsi, they're nuts and they know nothing about hockey in Canada. Heck, I paid 75 bucks for tickets in the upper level here in Saskatoon when the Oilers played the Islanders in an exhibition game, and so did 15 000 other people.

It's going to work, it's going to make more money than they are in Phoenix (breaking even would be more money than Phoenix), and it's going to improve the health of the league by doing it. You have to sell hockey in the desert. You don't have to sell hockey here in Canada.

Absolutely.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

That price would get you into the worst seats in the house, try 180 to 220 bucks a ticket and ask yourself the same question. 60 is like AHL prices these days.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
That price would get you into the worst seats in the house, try 180 to 220 bucks a ticket and ask yourself the same question. 60 is like AHL prices these days.

That's a little to rich for me, persay, considering I'm a recent university graduate that's stuck in that transitional zone where I have a degree but I don't have a full time job (substitute teaching isn't as lucrative when you don't get any calls or jobs). However, I'm sure there are a lot of people whom are richer than me willing to pay that price for prime seats in the Colisée.

It will be like Winnipeg. Quebec lost their team before, and if they get a second chance, they'll make damn sure that they don't lose a team a second time.

Thing is, Phoenix loses so much cash in the desert that Quebec could charge AHL prices and break even, yet it would still make the league healthier. In hindsight, the NHL took a huge gamble moving some teams in the 90s. Yeah, they were profitable for a bit, but in a place like Phoenix, the novelty wore off pretty quick.

Well, that and they moved the team to Glendale and away from its established fan base in Phoenix.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
The people that bought J'ai ma place seats are going to be second in line after the season tickets holders of the current Colisée, as told by the mayor I think.

I don't care paying big bucks for tickets, I already do 650km to see the Habs in MTL. I'd be more than happy to make that 200km less and see a team that I would like better (Nords 1A, Habs 1B).

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

I for one would definetily buy a ticket or two per season to see the Nordiques and I'm not even a huge fan and not rolling on money either. Only reason is I like to see NHL hockey and an lazy. The colisé and new arenas are like a 5min car ride from were I live, beats having to drive to Montreal. :sarcasm:

I'm willing to bet they'd guarantee a sell out a few years in a row. From a marketing standpoint it might even be good that they don't have the new arena now since people will want to go see them anyways in the old colisé since the team has just been brought back. When the new arena is going to be built people are going to want to see it.

Sure we're not a huge city but theres A LOT of hockey fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad