Ville de Québec Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
"The Colisée will not be ready until at least the 2014-2015 season"
Mayor Labeaume.

I would think that if they were given an opportunity, that work would be done in 3 months.

Yes, governments can move quick with projects. Here in NJ, Irene wiped out a good portion of 287 (major highway) and the highway was rebuilt in 3 days and we're talking about empty space total washout rebuild foundation and roadbed, not just repaving.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
I would think that if they were given an opportunity, that work would be done in 3 months.

Yes, governments can move quick with projects. Here in NJ, Irene wiped out a good portion of 287 (major highway) and the highway was rebuilt in 3 days and we're talking about empty space total washout rebuild foundation and roadbed, not just repaving.

Many of the most recent arenas were built in 24 months or so...

SilverPlaqueVII

Dec 5, 2011
Scarborough, ON
There are realistically three suitable markets remaining in Canada:

(1) Quebec City
(2) Toronto/Markham/GTA
(3) Hamilton

However, due to the influence of the Leafs, I doubt (2) or (3) will happen for a while, if ever. I cannot imagine both happening, even though I think they could both be supported.

I guess so but to rely NHL and CFL Teams in the same force. A bunch of Tiger-Cats fans wanted to host an NHL Franchise and such. Saskatoon has a arena the same capacity as the league standards. Why not have support from the Saskatchewan Roughriders fans to bring the NHL to Sasktoon. After all, Regina and Sasktoon are a mile apart.

Ottawa is regaining a CFL Team in 2013, I doubt the Sens could clear a scenario. Atlantic Canada wanted to lure an NHL team but they had the Atlantic Scroogers Football that were supposed to play and were ultimately folded in 1984 due to lack of players. I'm sure Atlantic Canada could cheer for the Nords and a future Maritime CFL Team.

Once so much NHL and CFL teams are placed from BC to the Maritimes in a few years, Canada is and will be a true sports nation. I'm sure the Nordiques would represent Atlantic Canada.

thegreaterikku

Jan 10, 2012
St-Ambroise
If the new conference option would have passed... I would have said 30% but now, it's 0-10% at most. Bettman clearly did the new setup for a new/relocation Eastern team.

The actual Colisée is too old and I highly doubt that money will be injected in what would become a "dead" arena after the new one is completed. Even back then with the Nordiques, it was a mediocre arena at best and the NHL couldn't/wouldn't stay there more than 1 season. Would people really pay to more than 100$ for wood chairs, dead view zones and more for more than one season? I doubt.

I want the Nordiques back (even paid for two places with J'ai Ma Place), but I am realistic here.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
If the new conference option would have passed... I would have said 30% but now, it's 0-10% at most. Bettman clearly did the new setup for a new/relocation Eastern team.

The actual Colisée is too old and I highly doubt that money will be injected in what would become a "dead" arena after the new one is completed. Even back then with the Nordiques, it was a mediocre arena at best and the NHL couldn't/wouldn't stay there more than 1 season. Would people really pay to more than 100$ for wood chairs, dead view zones and more for more than one season? I doubt.

I want the Nordiques back (even paid for two places with J'ai Ma Place), but I am realistic here.

The Colisée was upgraded in 2008 for the Ice Hockey World Championship.

Seats have all been changed. Scoreboard changed.
You are right only about dead view zones but it is not worse than the Nassau Memorial.

thegreaterikku

Jan 10, 2012
St-Ambroise
The Colisée was upgraded in 2008 for the Ice Hockey World Championship.

Seats have all been changed. Scoreboard changed.
You are right only about dead view zones but it is not worse than the Nassau Memorial.

True but the arena was still in "service" with the Remparts and frankly, it was a needed upgraded since ever. It made watching junior hockey acceptable and even bought season ticket afterward.

When the new arena will be completed, we all know the city will either demolish the Colisée or sell it to a private owner which I why I doubt they'll put several hundred millions just to make it "NHL" acceptable for one or two years. I could be thankfully wrong though.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
True but the arena was still in "service" with the Remparts and frankly, it was a needed upgraded since ever. It made watching junior hockey acceptable and even bought season ticket afterward.

When the new arena will be completed, we all know the city will either demolish the Colisée or sell it to a private owner which I why I doubt they'll put several hundred millions just to make it "NHL" acceptable for one or two years. I could be thankfully wrong though.

You can have a doubt but do you think the mayor would have made all the plans and specifications to upgrade the building just for fun ? I don't know and I don't care who will pay to renovate the building, I guess the bill could be split between the city and Quebecor. The last estimate is about 10-12M. Not a big deal for Quebecor if they can get a team right now. They are ready to lose money in the colisée with a team for a few years ... so....

Last edited:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

The bolded won't happen (unless the Glendale City council takes over in QC). Usually there is a bylaw passed when one of these buildings is built that gives the facility exclusivity for all events of a certain size (say 5,000 to 18,000 attendance), so if you owned the Collisee you wouldn't be able to book an event over 5k attendance. These buildings make no sense unless you can get the events booked, having competition in the market dooms the building to White Elephant status (like the Glendale arena).

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
(...) The actual Colisée is too old and I highly doubt that money will be injected in what would become a "dead" arena after the new one is completed. (...) Would people really pay to more than 100$ for wood chairs, dead view zones and more for more than one season? I doubt.

1. The new boards will be used in the new arena
  2. Almost all of those "wood chairs" has been replaced a few years ago.
  3. How many of those dead view zones? I would say 10, not much more!

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
On a second thought, some people think it would be more realist if a team would play only 1 season in the Colisée before moving, but it is the most unlikely scenario

Why ?

Because I'm not sure the city and/or Quebecor would accept to pay, let's say, 15M renovation in an old building for only 1 year before moving to the new building. It will be worth it only if the team must play 2 or 3 years there.

So if the Coyotes aren't coming in Qc next season, I don't expect any team here before 2015 (when the building will be rdy)

Last edited:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
On a second thought, some people think it would be more realist if a team would play only 1 season in the Colisée before moving, but it is the most unlikely scenario

Why ?

Because I'm not sure the city and/or Quebecor would accept to pay, let's say, 15M renovation in an old building for only 1 year before moving to the new building. It will be worth it only if the team must play 2 or 3 years there.

So if the Coyotes aren't coming in Qc next season, I don't expect any team here before 2015 (when the building will be rdy)

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think the number of years to be played in the old building is relevant at all. PKP will jump on any available team as soon as he can (and Labeaume will jump on the upgrades), and once that's done they'll look at the tradeoff between speeding up construction (extra costs) but moving into the arena earlier (extra benefits), and keeping the initial schedule but have an extra year in the old building. The cost of upgrading the old building is a sunk cost either way. Speeding up construction is the only factor they can control in terms of how long the team would have to play in the old Colisée.

In other words, suppose in the coming weeks the COG gives another 25M handout for the Coyotes to stay in Phoenix another season, but nothing happens and the team is ready to move in May 2013. PKP is not going to pass on this even if this implies only playing the 2013-14 season out of the old building. He's not going to pass and just hope he can buy the Isles/Jackets/whoever in 2014 or 2015.

thegreaterikku

Jan 10, 2012
St-Ambroise
  1. The new boards will be used in the new arena
  2. Almost all of those "wood chairs" has been replaced a few years ago.
  3. How many of those dead view zones? I would say 10, not much more!

Mmmm, I still go at the Colisée every few weeks for the Remparts. It is still wood chairs or whatever material they use. Not comfortable at all. As for the dead views... well they are still dead views. You can't even see the scoreboard for most of the upper portion.

You can't just blindly say that people will "tolerate" paying huge money for 25% of the experience just because it's the NHL. I mean, some people even believe that the prices will be the same when the Nords where here before. I might work for one season at best, but not two.

Like Matrix78 said, it will be more acceptable waiting for the new arena and Bettman, knowing how picky he his with arena regulations, must be waiting too.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
I understand where you're coming from but I don't think the number of years to be played in the old building is relevant at all. PKP will jump on any available team as soon as he can (and Labeaume will jump on the upgrades), and once that's done they'll look at the tradeoff between speeding up construction (extra costs) but moving into the arena earlier (extra benefits), and keeping the initial schedule but have an extra year in the old building. The cost of upgrading the old building is a sunk cost either way. Speeding up construction is the only factor they can control in terms of how long the team would have to play in the old Colisée.

In other words, suppose in the coming weeks the COG gives another 25M handout for the Coyotes to stay in Phoenix another season, but nothing happens and the team is ready to move in May 2013. PKP is not going to pass on this even if this implies only playing the 2013-14 season out of the old building. He's not going to pass and just hope he can buy the Isles/Jackets/whoever in 2014 or 2015.

True, Péladeau will seize his chance while he can. You can't snob an opportunity like that.

Matrix78

May 23, 2010
Quebec City
Like Matrix78 said, it will be more acceptable waiting for the new arena and Bettman, knowing how picky he his with arena regulations, must be waiting too.

However Bettman said (in 2010) that the Colisée could be used as a temporary building if a new building is confirmed So....

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil...ait-jouer-temporairement-au-vieux-colisee.php

You know, You would be right if all the teams in the NHL would be fine, however if the league wants to get rid of the Coyotes, the only, real, option right now is Quebec City. So it is why it may happen next season even if the Colisée is old...

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Mmmm, I still go at the Colisée every few weeks for the Remparts. It is still wood chairs or whatever material they use. Not comfortable at all. As for the dead views... well they are still dead views. You can't even see the scoreboard for most of the upper portion.

You can't just blindly say that people will "tolerate" paying huge money for 25% of the experience just because it's the NHL. I mean, some people even believe that the prices will be the same when the Nords where here before. I might work for one season at best, but not two.

I paid NHL prices for two years in the Cow Palace - same at the Ottawa Civic Center and other interim venues.

And remember, when tickets for that hypothetical new arena for that hypothetical new Nordiques go on sale priority will almost certainly go to existing (ie Colisee) STHs - ie if you want tickets at the new arena you will have to pay for a season or two at the Colisee.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011

I too, go at the Colisée many times a year and the only wooden seats are in the balcony section (~ 5,000). Back in the Nordiques days, all of them were and no one really complained. Same thing could be said about those blind spots!

You too, can't just blindly say that people won't tolerate it for a few years, even at much higher price (which, btw, we ALL know!).

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Never been to the Colisee before, but I have to ask... is it as bad of a venue as people are making it out to be?

Not as bad as thegreaterikku makes it out to be, but many flaws... although one easily gets used to it when it's the on-ice product that matters.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
I wonder what will be the target for the season tickets campaign (Drive for X).

Winnipeg : 13000 / 15004 = 87%
Old Colisée (13k) : 13000 / 15176 = 86%
New Colisée (13k) : 13000 / 18387 = 71%
New Colisée (87%) : 15997 / 18387 = 87%

So, they could deliver 3000 more season tickets if they want to follow the Jets ratio.

PS: 18387 is the seating capacity of the Consol Energy Center, the arena that Québec City is copying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad