Ville de Québec Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wernt the Nords and Ottawa on french HNIC way back when instead of Montreal?

I don't recall this ever being the case. Winnipeg, Ottawa and Quebec were rarely shown on HNIC back in the day, French or English. That was at a time when HNIC didn't have alot of regional broadcasts.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Yeah, I think all games will be broadcast on TVA Sport and TVA. And in english only for the occasional games (and playoffs) on CBC and TSN.

However, since they are also kinda the Maritimes team, maybe Sportsnet East will broadcast some games regionaly? However, concidering the competition with it's rivals I bet Québecor will be reluctant to let it happen!

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Yeah, I think all games will be broadcast on TVA Sport and TVA. And in english only for the occasional games (and playoffs) on CBC and TSN.

However, since they are also kinda the Maritimes team, maybe Sportsnet East will broadcast some games regionaly? However, concidering the competition with it's rivals I bet Québecor will be reluctant to let it happen!

We have both TVA and TVA Sports, so I really don't care where it's played.

Watching/listening to more games in French will surely help to improve my very poor French. Just listening to Olympiques road games on the radio is helping, so I'm sure watching games on TV would be even better! :yo:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
We have both TVA and TVA Sports, so I really don't care where it's played.

Watching/listening to more games in French will surely help to improve my very poor French. Just listening to Olympiques road games on the radio is helping, so I'm sure watching games on TV would be even better! :yo:

CBC/TVA may not exist, nor might HNIC the way those contracts are structured and if TSN/Sportsnet end up winning the bid for HNIC.....

THERE WILL BE A DAY in the future where CBC stops being funded by Ottawa and the Government entities because HNIC is barely acknowledged now w/ NHL starting its own network

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
CBC/TVA may not exist, nor might HNIC the way those contracts are structured and if TSN/Sportsnet end up winning the bid for HNIC.....

THERE WILL BE A DAY in the future where CBC stops being funded by Ottawa and the Government entities because HNIC is barely acknowledged now w/ NHL starting its own network

Guh? :help:

I don't see the CBC being defunded, and if Harper actually did that, I suspect that would just be another nail in the Conservative Party's coffin, but I digress...

How, pray tell, is the NHL Network even remotely close to HNIC in terms of... well... relevance? Everybody watches HNIC, I can't imagine that a lot of people are rushing to watch Sharks/Panthers or whatever lame game that the NHL network is playing that night?

Also, I know you buy this whole 'CBC getting defunded' thing, but how exactly do you think that TVA is going to cease to exist? Especially with PKP seemingly poised to become an NHL owner.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011

the nhl network which is so non existant in Canada that it doesn't even count towards any blackouts in Canada

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Gave it about 90% chance. Everything I've read says, unless a miracle happens, the Coyotes are gone. And, owners in the league want stability, which the Canadian markets provide. Given an arena is coming to QC, it's a very good situation for the NHL.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
From an NHL perspective (proposed realignment) and Quebec City/Quebecor perspective (new arena construction, upgrades to the Colisee), I'd say it's close to 100%. Both parties clearly want it to happen and have prepared appropriately for it.

The wild card is Glendale. If for some reason they are able to draw the process out even longer (they've already prevented relocation of the Coyotes twice) then Quebec City will have to wait.

jvl4

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Gave it about 90% chance. Everything I've read says, unless a miracle happens, the Coyotes are gone. And, owners in the league want stability, which the Canadian markets provide. Given an arena is coming to QC, it's a very good situation for the NHL.

As a Winnipegger and Jets fan I really hope Quebec gets its team back. What's the latest on the new arena? I think the NHL would have no problem relocating to Quebec and play in the Colisee for a year or two as long as everything is signed off on the new arena. It seems like the NHL might be a little hesitant to move a team there if there's not a concrete plan yet to build an arena. I don't really see any other ready alternatives for the Yotes right now. Many cities that could succeed still need to build that new building. We really lucked out here with Chipman and Thomson on deciding to build the new barn. I sure hope we can see teams in Markham and Quebec soon!

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
As a Winnipegger and Jets fan I really hope Quebec gets its team back. What's the latest on the new arena? I think the NHL would have no problem relocating to Quebec and play in the Colisee for a year or two as long as everything is signed off on the new arena. It seems like the NHL might be a little hesitant to move a team there if there's not a concrete plan yet to build an arena. I don't really see any other ready alternatives for the Yotes right now. Many cities that could succeed still need to build that new building. We really lucked out here with Chipman and Thomson on deciding to build the new barn. I sure hope we can see teams in Markham and Quebec soon!

Arena will be ready in couple years Colisee can be temporary Quebecer wants to own the team

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Guh? :help:

I don't see the CBC being defunded, and if Harper actually did that, I suspect that would just be another nail in the Conservative Party's coffin, but I digress...

How, pray tell, is the NHL Network even remotely close to HNIC in terms of... well... relevance? Everybody watches HNIC, I can't imagine that a lot of people are rushing to watch Sharks/Panthers or whatever lame game that the NHL network is playing that night?

Also, I know you buy this whole 'CBC getting defunded' thing, but how exactly do you think that TVA is going to cease to exist? Especially with PKP seemingly poised to become an NHL owner.

The final nail in the conservative party coffin, keep dreaming after the Canadian TV rights are over, Bell and Rogers will outbid anyone and everyone. Then all you will see are the Leafs. So you don't have worry about HNIC in because all they will be showing are the leafs, so the Nords won't be available on HNIC anyways. That means that the Nords will only be on TVA, just for the people who can understand French and not to the public outside Quebec, I find it difficult to think that the Nords will get the same coverage and public attention that the Jets got because they will be all about "get a French coach, we must only be on French TV, we can only be on French newspapers"(just like Montreal). The Winnipeg Jets were more about exposure, success(win a stanley cup), money.

Last edited:

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
The final nail in the conservative party coffin, keep dreaming after the Canadian TV rights are over, Bell and Rogers will outbid anyone and everyone. Then all you will see are the Leafs. So you don't have worry about HNIC in because all they will be showing are the leafs, so the Nords won't be available on HNIC anyways.

Again... Guh? :help:

First of all, I never said that that would be the final nail in the CPC coffin. I said that it would be a nail. Defunding the CBC is exactly the kind of thing that makes fringe Liberals (etc.) nervous, and there is a strong history in Canada of Conservative governments being followed by long periods of Liberal dominance. If the Conservatives step too far out of line (remember, a majority of Canadians did not vote Conservative) all of the fringe Liberal supporters (i.e. the 'swing votes') would be out in full force next time, and the Conservatives would lose Ontario and parts of Atlantic Canada without even trying. Again, I digress...

Sportsnet, TSN, and RDS all play teams other than the Leafs already. In fact, TSN has whole channels dedicated to the Habs and Jets. If the CBC and HNIC were to disappear (again, not happening), Bell and Rogers would absolutely show the other teams too. If you play with the blackout restrictions a bit, Rogers could probably even show weekly national broadcasts on CTV. We would also see the further growth of the Sportsnet family of stations (likely with more national broadcasts too), and maybe the emergence of TSN3, etc.

That means that the Nords will only be on TVA, just for the people who can understand French and not to the public outside Quebec,

I don't speak French, but I listen to all of the Olympiques road games on the radio, in French. Trust me, as an Anglo-monoglot with a little bit of French vocabulary, it didn't take me long to be able to learn enough to follow the play.

Furthermore, I live in Ontario. I have both TVA Sports, and a slew of local TVA stations. I only get a few of the local TVA stations, but I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to call up Shaw and subscribe to the rest. Irrespective of language, there will be a lot of Canadians who will want to watch the Nordiques. PKP isn't so stupid that he would insist that all Nordiques games would be broadcast exclusively in French. Again - I'm an Anglo-Ontarian monoglot, and I have every intention of following the Nordiques on a regular basis.

I find it difficult to think that the Nords will get the same coverage and public attention that the Jets got because they will be all about "get a French coach, we must only be on French TV, we can only be on French newspapers"(just like Montreal). The Winnipeg Jets were more about exposure, success(win a stanley cup), money.

Now, I agree with you here, in part. First of all, the Habs are in the English Media and are televised in English on an extremely regular basis. Secondly, people in Québec (Ville de...) tend to be less touchy about the whole English/French thing than Franco-Montréalers (Montréalois?). The reason for this is quite simple really - the Franco-Québécois (and Québécoises) are the substantial linguistic majority in their city, whereas that is not the case in Montréal.

Yes, they will likely want a French speaking (not even necessarily French) coach and GM for the sake of addressing the media, but the team-building strategy will still very much be about success - i.e. exposure, winning the Stanley Cup, and making money. Remember, their big superstar in the 1980s was a Slovak! All of those Å ťastný brothers seemed to make people in Québec 'happy.' ;)

Now, I agree that they likely won't get as much English media attention/coverage as the Jets, but they will still get quite a bit. I think the major omission from the English coverage will likely be analysis of their games. Trades, how they're doing in general, game highlights, etc. will still be covered in the English media, regardless of where the individual (regular season) games are being televised.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
The final nail in the conservative party coffin, keep dreaming after the Canadian TV rights are over, Bell and Rogers will outbid anyone and everyone. Then all you will see are the Leafs. So you don't have worry about HNIC in because all they will be showing are the leafs, so the Nords won't be available on HNIC anyways. That means that the Nords will only be on TVA, just for the people who can understand French and not to the public outside Quebec, I find it difficult to think that the Nords will get the same coverage and public attention that the Jets got because they will be all about "get a French coach, we must only be on French TV, we can only be on French newspapers"(just like Montreal). The Winnipeg Jets were more about exposure, success(win a stanley cup), money.

The Nords wouldn't get as much coverage as the Jets but you've got it completely backwards in the bolded part. Nobody in Quebec gives a damn about English coverage (except the Anglos of course). Nobody cares that Randy Cunneyworth answers English questions in English -- the outrage was because he couldn't also answer in French to questions asked in French.

PKP is a capitalist first and foremost. If there is $0.10 to be made from selling English-language rights he'll do it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Does anybody know how many guys are still playing in the NHL that ever played for or against the Nords in QC? Who is still active that can actually remember playing a real NHL game in QC? I'm guessing that nobody outside of this list could have...

1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Teemu Selanne
3. Sean O'Donnell
4. Jaromir Jagr
5. Ray Whitney
6. Mike Knuble
7. Daniel Alfredsson
8. Tomas Holmstrom
9. Brian Rolston
10. John Madden
11. Adrian Aucoin
12. Steve Staios
13. Andrew Brunette
14. Jason Blake
15. Jaroslav Spacek
16. Roman Hamrlik
17. Sergei Gonchar
18. Steve Sullivan
19. Sami Salo
20. Chris Pronger
21. Jason Arnott

...and of those guys, maybe only half? Anyone know?

Last edited:

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Does anybody know how many guys are still playing in the NHL that ever played for or against the Nords in QC? Who is still active that can actually remember playing a real NHL game in QC?

There are no Nordiques left in the NHL, Adam Foote was the last to retire. Tim Thomas, Chris Drury, and Milan Hejduk were all drafted by the Nordiques.

I'm sure that there are quite a few guys who played against the Nordiques left in the NHL.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
The question is not if its when quebec gets their team back.

The bigger question is when will canadian nhl fans appetite be satiated. After quebec and possibly hamilton/GTA the chances of nhl in any other city in canada falls off a cliff. population alone is perhaps the largest hinderance.

So when will canadians be satisfied?

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
The question is not if its when quebec gets their team back.

The bigger question is when will canadian nhl fans appetite be satiated. After quebec and possibly hamilton/GTA the chances of nhl in any other city in canada falls off a cliff. population alone is perhaps the largest hinderance.

So when will canadians be satisfied?

9 teams would probably satisfy Canadians

Habs05

Mar 5, 2011
Brossard, Qc
I voted 70-80%, I'm thinking of 75%.

100%
- 15% (the chances of a Glendale's resolution)
- 10% (chances Markham gets an arena first if it's really a race).

75% is still pretty high and I hope they'll get it. :)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Does anybody know how many guys are still playing in the NHL that ever played for or against the Nords in QC? Who is still active that can actually remember playing a real NHL game in QC? I'm guessing that nobody outside of this list could have...

1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Teemu Selanne
3. Sean O'Donnell
4. Jaromir Jagr
5. Ray Whitney
6. Mike Knuble
7. Daniel Alfredsson
8. Tomas Holmstrom
9. Brian Rolston
10. John Madden
11. Adrian Aucoin
12. Steve Staios
13. Andrew Brunette
14. Jason Blake
15. Jaroslav Spacek
16. Roman Hamrlik
17. Sergei Gonchar
18. Steve Sullivan
19. Sami Salo
20. Chris Pronger
21. Jason Arnott

...and of those guys, maybe only half? Anyone know?

Brodeur and Khabibulin?

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Brodeur and Khabibulin?

Brodeur, definitely. Khabibulin, no -- his rookie season was the 1994-95 lockout-shortened season in which teams only played their conference, and that was the Nordiques' final year in Quebec City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln