[VIDEO] McDavid NOT Scoring

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's such an exciting player to watch. The way he burned Doughty is awesome. :laugh:

Even if Sid is the best of his generation, peak OV was more fun to watch and McDavid is providing similar excitement (although in different ways).

Sid is great at just about everything he does and a lot of the smaller plays he makes goes unnoticed, but I've never viewed him as the most exciting player to watch. McDavid is exciting to watch, nearly every game.

He looks like he's skating on water! :snide: Always so effortlessly. As long as he can skate like that, he's going to be a highlight machine in the NHL.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What a fun player. McDavid deserves all the hype he gets and will be the face of the NHL for a long time.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nice Sarcasm lol.

Best player in the NHL, or up there with Crosby. Take your pick, but there's definitely a significant gap consisting those two to the rest of the league.

Not really. Karlsson and Malkin are right there with them. Malkin can't stay healthy though that's his problem, so Karlsson might be the closest. Purely offensively Kane is close.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He's insane.

This video is the most impressive one I've seen of him, has some of the same clips in it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive learned to accept the missed chances that will follow McDavid around for his career. Realistically players cash in on like 40% of good chances in a game. Most time this amount to 2 or 3 missed chances per game for the team. McDavid generates 10x the chances average players do so there is a ton more missed chances per game by him and his linemates. At times its infuriating to watch teammates miss those golden chances, but gotta remember only a limited amount will ever go in

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
He's insane.

This video is the most impressive one I've seen of him, has some of the same clips in it.

That assist against the Bruins and the between-the-legs against the Habs gets me everytime. I can't comprehend how he pulls of the between-the-legs there, just incredibly effortless.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
When he figures out how good he is and his team mates get used to him, hes going to get 150 points.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Keep in mind that he spent this summer focusing on improving his shooting ability.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I don't know how I feel about people thinking players can increase their scoring prowess.

If it was something as easy as "focusing" more in the off-season,

wouldn't we see more players transition from 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60 goals?

It's obviously a different case with McDavid because he has the tools to increase,

but the perception that players can just "work on" an instinct like scoring is absurd to me.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I don't know how I feel about people thinking players can increase their scoring prowess.

If it was something as easy as "focusing" more in the off-season,

wouldn't we see more players transition from 30 to 40, 40 to 50, 50 to 60 goals?

It's obviously a different case with McDavid because he has the tools to increase,

but the perception that players can just "work on" an instinct like scoring is absurd to me.

Most players don't create nearly as many chances as McDavid does, plus he's still very young, lots of players improve areas of their game with age and experience. Why can't a guy who has played less than 2 full seasons improve his goal scoring ability?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
That puck control while at top speed makes Pavel Bure look like a pee-wee... Unbelieveable.

I would think a guy like Grabner or Helm could give McDavid a run for his money in a straight race, but when it comes to handling the puck, deking dmen and making plays while at top speed, forget it. It's 100% McDavid.

Also have to agree with those saying his acceleration/head fakes/edge work while going top speed really make him even tougher to defend against. It's a huge part of his game.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Was more fun watching the D men that ended up one on one with him. You can see sphincters slamming shut all over the place.

Apr 29, 2017
There's nothing more exciting in the league right now than when McDavid gets the puck in his own zone and turns on the afterburners

Yes, my seats are right behind the faceoff dot in end where the Oilers attack twice, and watching him break down his left wing from his own end is magic. :handclap:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That's what really stands out from the video. I'm sure a lot of elite offensive players could have a video made of near misses. All impressive in their own way. But the way McDavid skates is unlike anything I've ever seen.

Such effortless skating for someone who is so impossibly fast. Always upright, head always up and looking for teammates. It's unreal.

It's not just his skating. Dudes acceleration and top speed are bar none the best. But he uses it to his full advantage. Puts the puck in areas defenders can't deal with and just goes right by them.

If he could beat goalies routinely without having to deke, he'd win the Art and Rocket every year.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
That puck control while at top speed makes Pavel Bure look like a pee-wee... Unbelieveable.

I would think a guy like Grabner or Helm could give McDavid a run for his money in a straight race, but when it comes to handling the puck, deking dmen and making plays while at top speed, forget it. It's 100% McDavid.

Also have to agree with those saying his acceleration/head fakes/edge work while going top speed really make him even tougher to defend against. It's a huge part of his game.

Bure was just as fast and held the puck just as well in the clutch and grab era. Just watch his breakaways. He'll drop a shoulder, shake a knee, jerk his head, flick his wrists all at rocket speed all before crossing the blue line.https://youtu.be/HPLWImdVYTQ

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I had to slow the video down on a few of these to .25X and watch 5 or 6 times to wrap my head around the stick handling that he does at full speed.

Just stickhandling that fast is incredible, but I don't understand how it's possible to be going that fast and actually be making micro decisions to adjust inch by inch to avoid a stick or a skate

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
this is how insane the kid is. this is just a glimmer of what he does every game. he probably gets 3-4 golden chances every night. these are just the highlight reel stuff. he can hit 120 points if he could finish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad