OT: Video Games

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hitman 2016 is free on PSN this month. Worth the try. Amazing and very detailed environments.

Anybody tried the other free game For Honor, which looks like an open-world samurai game? Is it worth the try?
I like For Honor. 1V1's are fun, if you like that type of competive game... It's basically smash but with swords and shields and maces and spears and you can taunt your enemy when you kill them and make them cry.

Dominion is okay too, it's faster paced... but it's essentialy just more 1v1s and 2v1s and 3v1s, etc.

Download it for sure, it's free.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I like For Honor. 1V1's are fun, if you like that type of competive game... It's basically smash but with swords and shields and maces and spears and you can taunt your enemy when you kill them and make them cry.

Dominion is okay too, it's faster paced... but it's essentialy just more 1v1s and 2v1s and 3v1s, etc.

Download it for sure, it's free.

Thanks. Im a big Shogun era fan, so ill definitely download it now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The moves the fighters do are pretty cool, most of them are actually pretty researched, Ive seen a video on youtube of martial arts profesional commenting on them and the accuracy is nice.

I imagine that they've somehow managed to put Hiroyuki Sanada in it.

Can't do a modern samurai work without him :sarcasm:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I assume you want a brick and mortar store? Canada Computers and Memory Express are good options. Canada Computers has a bunch of locations including Quebec.

Welcome - Canada Computers & Electronics

I can't vouch for each location, but the one near my house is ok. I find their techs are hit or miss. One of my friends works at Canada Computers, but not at the one I shop at. I know for a fact he's really knowledgeable but not all employees are equal. Maybe the Quebec locations are good, but you'll have to check yourself.

As for now being a good time or not, I hate to be that guy, but the truth is, there is NEVER a good time. There is always something newer, better, faster and cheaper coming out. However, if we focus only on the next 6-months, AMD's next Ryzen is expected mid-2019. Historically, they release between April-May, but don't hold me to that for 2019.

Intel's next CPU I think is expected closer to the fall or holidays of 2019. I also read somewhere that Intel announced a shortage for all chips for 2019.

As for GPUs, AMD's latest dropped last week for reviewers. I would guess consumers may have these by next month. Nvidia's current gen is still the standard, and their next-gen is out sort of. Their professional cards based on Volta are out now but these aren't meant for gamers. From my understanding, these will never be made for consumers. If I were to guess, whatever Nvidia may be planning will be out end of the year.

Anyhow, I am not as in tune as I used to be, so maybe a tech guru here can give better advice on release dates.

Can you buy parts from their online store and have them assemble and ship it to you? In any case thx for the info, i have a Canada Comps close to me, i'll check it out. <3

Oculus quest is coming out in a few months, HYPE.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Can you buy parts from their online store and have them assemble and ship it to you? In any case thx for the info, i have a Canada Comps close to me, i'll check it out. <3

I bought my last computer on newegg.ca.. 2 years ago I believe, it still runs fine and I can run everything at high/ultra-high without too much problems.

I was looking to buy parts separately but I wasn't sure about the compatibility. They had a few nice builds so I bought one. They often have a bunch of discounts on different stuff

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I asked my friend and he says “not really”. He didn’t seem to say no flat out, but I don’t think they would do this online. Maybe in person.

I bought my last computer on newegg.ca.. 2 years ago I believe, it still runs fine and I can run everything at high/ultra-high without too much problems.

I was looking to buy parts separately but I wasn't sure about the compatibility. They had a few nice builds so I bought one. They often have a bunch of discounts on different stuff

I still sorta know my way around PCs so if I upgrade, I may buy it part by part and put it together myself. My PC is ancient, a first gen i7 from 2009 I think. Only upgrade was my video card, which is also old... a r9 280x. I only play Starcraft 2 on it as 90% of my gaming time is on my Xbox One.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Hopefully, the rumors are true and the legendary hero of the Dragon Quest series Erdrick is announced as Smash DLC.

I've played Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest since getting the very first one for free with Nintendo Power. Huge fan.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

You can use PCpartpicker.ca to source parts and it even makes sure everything is compatible.

Reactions: ArtPeur

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
After playing Apex for a solid 3 or 4 hours... I just don't like it at all. I guess I just don't like Battle Royale games.

Back to SC2...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
After playing Apex for a solid 3 or 4 hours... I just don't like it at all. I guess I just don't like Battle Royale games.

Back to SC2...

It's the Gen Z craze. People nowadays just wanna be a part of a big gaming community and meme on twitchtv w/ their friends, they'll play w/e game their favorite streamer is playing. If you're into SC2 i take it that you must be at least in your midd 20's. Your motivation for gaming is probably different than the new gen kids, they just like to follow trends and stuff :D. I'm the same way, i play Starcraft Broodwar for fun.. even older than SC2 haha.

Reactions: DangerDave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Hopefully, the rumors are true and the legendary hero of the Dragon Quest series Erdrick is announced as Smash DLC.

I've played Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest since getting the very first one for free with Nintendo Power. Huge fan.

Mario Maker 2 and Link’s Awakening 3D remake. Amazing. The Switch has quickly become my favourite console ever.

Reactions: DangerDave

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Been getting back into Diablo 3. Season 16 started and it’s the first time I’ve tried this seasonal mode out. Got to say, I enjoy the looting and getting legendaries but the grind is kinda of a pain in the a$$.

Side note, gotten tired of NHL 19. Gonna probably sell it now and borrow from the local library if I need a hockey fix.

I still sprinkle in SC2 on occasion. Trying to find Hitman Definitive Edition cheap. Son has been asking for both Hitmans for the Xbox One.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's the Gen Z craze. People nowadays just wanna be a part of a big gaming community and meme on twitchtv w/ their friends, they'll play w/e game their favorite streamer is playing. If you're into SC2 i take it that you must be at least in your midd 20's. Your motivation for gaming is probably different than the new gen kids, they just like to follow trends and stuff :D. I'm the same way, i play Starcraft Broodwar for fun.. even older than SC2 haha.
Yeah I agree completely. And yeah I'm in my mid 20s. Eagerly looking forward to the WC3 remaster. Hopefully it's succesful and we get new RTS games.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
One of my all time favorite sport manager games now works on modern gear! If you are looking for a incredible game and enjoy soccer/football please look into Ultimate Soccer Manager 98. Fantastic! I am currently trying to bring Hull City back to the premiership LOL!

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Been getting back into Diablo 3. Season 16 started and it’s the first time I’ve tried this seasonal mode out. Got to say, I enjoy the looting and getting legendaries but the grind is kinda of a pain in the a$$.

Side note, gotten tired of NHL 19. Gonna probably sell it now and borrow from the local library if I need a hockey fix.

I still sprinkle in SC2 on occasion. Trying to find Hitman Definitive Edition cheap. Son has been asking for both Hitmans for the Xbox One.

A bit late but.. I was a huge Path of Exile gamer until I got bored after playing most fun (or less fun) builds over the years. They have the same concept of season.. but they call them leagues. They always add something new to the game every league. They last about 3 months and there's always one new soon after one ends.

.. but now I feel like playing D2 again. It's been at least 15 years since I last played that game. I wish Blizzard would also remaster that game :(

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Hey guys! Bit urgent, my GPU fried a few days ago, I'm heading out in a few hours to build a new comp. Need some suggestions, i already have a GTX 1660 TI and i have a 2600k that i'll be using in my build until i upgrade my CPU this summer/later this year. That's where my main problem is tho, i dunno what MOBO to get. I need something that works with a 2600k and w/ the new intel CPU's. I might upgrade to the new Intel CPU's being released this year or i might just get a good bang for your buck Intel CPU once the prices drop.

Anyways, just not sure what direction to go w/ the MOBO/CPU.

For my build, i'm thinking:

My current monitor: ASUS VG248 // 144hz 1080p // https://www.amazon.ca/VG248QE-24-inch-LED-lit-Monitor-response/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus vg248&qid=1551622980&s=electronics&sr=1-1

MOBO: no idea, has to work with 2600k and future Intel CPU's tho
CPU: Intel.. 2600k for now, dunno about later
SSD: crucial mx500 1tb
GPU: gtx 1660 ti
PSU: haven't kept up with the new releases, dunno what the best options are.. prob Super Flower/Seasonic/EVGA? dunno what model/wattage tho
Memory: 16gb DDR4 most likely, G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ??
Cooler: i plan on re-using my heatsink, it's an oldschool noctua.. don't remember the exact model (it's very good tho)
Case: i have a really good/oldschool sound deafening case, re-using

Would really appreciate some insight before i head out. Also, what are some good bang for your buck Intel CPU options right now?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Hey guys! Bit urgent, my GPU fried a few days ago, I'm heading out in a few hours to build a new comp. Need some suggestions, i already have a GTX 1660 TI and i have a 2600k that i'll be using in my build until i upgrade my CPU this summer/later this year. That's where my main problem is tho, i dunno what MOBO to get. I need something that works with a 2600k and w/ the new intel CPU's. I might upgrade to the new Intel CPU's being released this year or i might just get a good bang for your buck Intel CPU once the prices drop.

Anyways, just not sure what direction to go w/ the MOBO/CPU.

For my build, i'm thinking:

My current monitor: ASUS VG248 // 144hz 1080p // https://www.amazon.ca/VG248QE-24-inch-LED-lit-Monitor-response/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus vg248&qid=1551622980&s=electronics&sr=1-1

MOBO: no idea, has to work with 2600k and future Intel CPU's tho
CPU: Intel.. 2600k for now, dunno about later
SSD: crucial mx500 1tb
GPU: gtx 1660 ti
PSU: haven't kept up with the new releases, dunno what the best options are.. prob Super Flower/Seasonic/EVGA? dunno what model/wattage tho
Memory: 16gb DDR4 most likely, G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ??
Cooler: i plan on re-using my heatsink, it's an oldschool noctua.. don't remember the exact model (it's very good tho)
Case: i have a really good/oldschool sound deafening case, re-using

Would really appreciate some insight before i head out. Also, what are some good bang for your buck Intel CPU options right now?
What monitor?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Im 26 and I enjoy a night of fortnite/apex with my friends. Wouldnt give a flying crap about streamers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A bit late but.. I was a huge Path of Exile gamer until I got bored after playing most fun (or less fun) builds over the years. They have the same concept of season.. but they call them leagues. They always add something new to the game every league. They last about 3 months and there's always one new soon after one ends.

.. but now I feel like playing D2 again. It's been at least 15 years since I last played that game. I wish Blizzard would also remaster that game :(
You and me both. What i wouldnt give to BM some kids with my werebear druid.

Reactions: ArtPeur

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Blizzard will most likely remaster D2 after they're done with War3 reforged (remastered).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad