OT: Video Games

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Previous thread here....
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/gaming.1958563/

The NHL 19 open beta runs through August 2, and it's available on PS4 and Xbox One.

NHL 19 launches on September 14, but the more expensive Ultimate and Legend editions launch on September 11. EA Access subscribers, meanwhile, can play a 10-hour trial for the full game starting on September 6.

EA-SPORTS-NHL-19-Cover-Athlete-P.K.-Subban.jpg

(mods feel free to move the gaming posts from the out of town thread over here...)

Reactions: groovejuice

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
NHL 15 5.0 is coming out soon. /s

In all seriousness the NHL series is in need of a complete revamp. Sadly they make most of their money on the online aspect so the franchise mode tends to suck ass. The skating in this one does look improved, but ti worries me that fourt liners are, like usual, just as good as top snipers lol. Maybe sliders can help create a bit of seperation there. I wish NHL had roster share. Would solve about 25 percent of their problems I think.

I don't game much anymore but Fortnite is pretty fun especially after a bowl or two. Madden 19 looks underwhelming but it's a EA Sports game so it was to be expected.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
NHL 15 5.0 is coming out soon. /s

In all seriousness the NHL series is in need of a complete revamp. Sadly they make most of their money on the online aspect so the franchise mode tends to suck ass. The skating in this one does look improved, but ti worries me that fourt liners are, like usual, just as good as top snipers lol. Maybe sliders can help create a bit of seperation there. I wish NHL had roster share. Would solve about 25 percent of their problems I think.

I don't game much anymore but Fortnite is pretty fun especially after a bowl or two. Madden 19 looks underwhelming but it's a EA Sports game so it was to be expected.
But man... POND HOCKEY :sarcasm:

Reactions: David Suzuki

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Can't wait for Spider-man on September 7th and Days Gone on February 22nd 2019

Last of Us 2 doesn't have a release date yet, but that's the one I'm most stoked about.

The three games I looked forward to the most this year were God of War, Detroit Become Human and Spider-man. Sony is the king of single player story driven games. God of War is the best game I have played this year so far, maybe even this generation.

The Last of Us is one of my top favorite games of the last generation. That opening sequence is one of the most riveting and gut wrenching of any game. TLOU 2 will most likely be the PS4's swan song like it was for the PS3.

Reactions: Pickles

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
The AI on NHL is dumb compared to FIFA where they’ve made alot of improvements.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
But man... POND HOCKEY :sarcasm:

Not that this mode was a priority for me, nor was NHL Threes before that, but are they “replacing” prior arcade modes or will they stack them? Meaning, will there still be NHL Threes along with pond hockey?

I hardly played Threes, but will admit it is fun with some friends over and playing a couple rounds. I’m sure pond hockey will be the same, but I just find it’s wasteful removing modes to put another as I doubt it’s a storage or memory thing.

Anyhow, while I’m sure all this pond hockey, the 1,500 different tuques, EASHL, HUT and so on is great for many, I’m just annoyed I’m basically paying for a roster update.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The AI on NHL is dumb compared to FIFA where they’ve made alot of improvements.

FIFA has a lot bigger budget because the market for football/soccer is huge. EA has practically given up on the NHL franchise. Sales last year were shockingly low, even for a game that always gets released with limited new features.

Reactions: Pickles

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Le Postman on steam

I'm not playing much as I am getting bored playing games

Has anyone played Monster Hunter? I was considering it on PC

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The three games I looked forward to the most this year were God of War, Detroit Become Human and Spider-man. Sony is the king of single player story driven games. God of War is the best game I have played this year so far, maybe even this generation.

The Last of Us is one of my top favorite games of the last generation. That opening sequence is one of the most riveting and gut wrenching of any game. TLOU 2 will most likely be the PS4's swan song like it was for the PS3.

I agree with you that Last of us is probably one of the best games of this generation .
Cant wait for TLOU 2

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
FIFA has a lot bigger budget because the market for football/soccer is huge. EA has practically given up on the NHL franchise. Sales last year were shockingly low, even for a game that always gets released with limited new features.

They have made NHL games since the early 90s. For most of that time, they competed with other competitors that have come and gone.

If there wasn't a much of a market, they would have exited a long time ago themselves. I think this is a case of getting complacent with no real competition, and regular consumers getting frustrated with a product they once loved.

So I think market size is an excuse rather than a cause for the decline of this franchise. Sure, it's a niche market, but it's a market that they fought for against stiff competition, and one that they have been doing business in for almost 30 years. That indicates there is money in it.... They have just underwhelmed with the product.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They have made NHL games since the early 90s. For most of that time, they competed with other competitors that have come and gone.

If there wasn't a much of a market, they would have exited a long time ago themselves. I think this is a case of getting complacent with no real competition, and regular consumers getting frustrated with a product they once loved.

So I think market size is an excuse rather than a cause for the decline of this franchise. Sure, it's a niche market, but it's a market that they fought for against stiff competition, and one that they have been doing business in for almost 30 years. That indicates there is money in it.... They have just underwhelmed with the product.

I disagree. 2k pulled out in the the early 10’s leaving EA with no competition for almost a decade. They cut budget and focus on hut and that’s all they care or need to care about just to make a small profit. The past means nothing. They messed up when they didn’t release an NHL 14 to Xbox 1/ps4 when the consoles were new and the disaster game in NHL 15. They never recovered and it’s gotten worse.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I disagree. 2k pulled out in the the early 10’s leaving EA with no competition for almost a decade. They cut budget and focus on hut and that’s all they care or need to care about just to make a small profit. The past means nothing. They messed up when they didn’t release an NHL 14 to Xbox 1/ps4 when the consoles were new and the disaster game in NHL 15. They never recovered and it’s gotten worse.

There was other competition in the 90s. I remember a series of games called NHL faceoff and/or power play.... Maybe that was the same people as 2k though.

Anyways, the decline for me started before 14/15. NHL 09 is probably the last game I enjoyed. They lost me after that.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

EA makes almost a billion dollars annually just from Fifa's Ultimate Team alone! Microtransactions have gotten out of hand!

EA's Ultimate Team now worth $800 million annually

Also EA has won Worst Company in America numerous times and are consistently at the top of the list every year.

EA Voted Worst Company in America, Again

Reactions: nhlfan9191

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Which is why I never bothered. EA won't really give a **** until they have some kind of competition.

I don’t have a handle on finances and market share of various developers and publishers, but in terms of sports, I believe EA has a lock on American football and soccer.

2K sports has a lock on basketball. Too bad hockey is so unprofitable as their hockey games were better than most of EA’s titles during the same time frame.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
EA makes almost a billion dollars annually just from Fifa's Ultimate Team alone! Microtransactions have gotten out of hand!

EA's Ultimate Team now worth $800 million annually

Also EA has won Worst Company in America numerous times and are consistently at the top of the list every year.

EA Voted Worst Company in America, Again

I hope Disney removes the Star Wars franchise from their hands after the microtransaction scandal last November.

Im just dying for a No Man's Sky-like KOTOR.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00