OT: Video Games VI

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Right, the video is easy, just a HDMI cable, but audio is a bit more tricky. Some monitors have speakers, but I think most don't.

I don't have a PS5, so I don't know the audio out options.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
i have headphones that connect to my controller so Im good there.

really thinking about buying a monitor, putting a small desk in my basement and having a small gaming area. On my one late gaming weekend night, she ends up sitting next to me on the couch until like 11:30 and she knows I cant play RDR w her there. So I try and start RDR when she is upstairs so when she comes down she will know she is person non grata but she just sits down next to me anyway .... so I dramatically switch RDR off with an audible disappointed sigh and put on NHL and shes like 'oh honey you dont have to turn cowboy off, Ill go upstairs"

Then like 2 hours later she still on the couch going down rabbit holes on her phone until I have to directly kick her out. I feel bad, cant enjoy the remaining hours bc I kicked her outand didtn get my "escape" the first few hours she was next to me.

And I feel like a dork playing video games and a bit selfish. Lately Ive given up hopes of starting video games at 9 or so and we just watch a movie, smash then I send her up at like 10;30 ish.

Feel like a bad partner .. and a dork. Plus RDR is just a way for me to mask my drinking and smoking and I cant chief it up w her right there next to me.

But the mice.

Many mice in my basement.

Were cool but I think its bc we respect each others space and if I make moves downstairs ...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

really thinking about buying a monitor, putting a small desk in my basement and having a small gaming area. On my one late gaming weekend night, she ends up sitting next to me on the couch until like 11:30 and she knows I cant play RDR w her there. So I try and start RDR when she is upstairs so when she comes down she will know she is person non grata but she just sits down next to me anyway .... so I dramatically switch RDR off with an audible disappointed sigh and put on NHL and shes like 'oh honey you dont have to turn cowboy off, Ill go upstairs"

Then like 2 hours later she still on the couch going down rabbit holes on her phone until I have to directly kick her out. I feel bad, cant enjoy the remaining hours bc I kicked her outand didtn get my "escape" the first few hours she was next to me.

And I feel like a dork playing video games and a bit selfish. Lately Ive given up hopes of starting video games at 9 or so and we just watch a movie, smash then I send her up at like 10;30 ish.

Feel like a bad partner .. and a dork. Plus RDR is just a way for me to mask my drinking and smoking and I cant chief it up w her right there next to me.

But the mice.

Were cool but I think its bc we respect each others space and if I make moves downstairs ...
Finding that happy balance of me time and us time is different for everyone and sometimes hard to find. multiple living areas where you can do your own thing for a few hours is a must for me….

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

But the mice.

This is one of the better pieces of nonfiction I’ve ever read.

And honestly I felt this in my bones — I’m the exact same way. Even with a wife and kids I like my me time one night a weekend where I can smoke and drink and talk shit to random strangers on the internet without anyone asking me for something. That one night a week keeps me sane and I’m done feeling guilty about it :laugh:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Recently picked up NHL 24 when it was on sale. Haven’t played a new NHL game in since NHL 19. The game is a lot harder to play overall.

Anyway, I immediately went to franchise mode and started a Caps franchise. Ovechkin is an absolute cheat code in this game. He just finally retired in his age 45 season. Dropped to a 78 overall “minor league scorer” in his final year. Still had him in the NHL on the second line. He played 64 games and scored 47 goals lol.

Records broken:

1,968 games played. Almost 200 more than Marleau

1,239 goals. 355 more than Gretzky

2,204 career points, second to Gretzky

14 total 50 or more goal seasons. 5 more than Mike Bossy.

Hit 60+ goals in 2 of the seasons.

Absolutely unreal lol

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This is one of the better pieces of nonfiction I’ve ever read.

And honestly I felt this in my bones — I’m the exact same way. Even with a wife and kids I like my me time one night a weekend where I can smoke and drink and talk shit to random strangers on the internet without anyone asking me for something. That one night a week keeps me sane and I’m done feeling guilty about it :laugh:
Our second kid arrived one month ago (a happy, healthy, hefty baby boy). I look forward to eventually/hopefully getting enough sleep to once again perform basic human functions, which might even include playing video games (and online ttrpgs) late into the night.

Until then, I remain a sleep-deprived, shambling shell of my former self.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Our second kid arrived one month ago (a happy, healthy, hefty baby boy). I look forward to eventually/hopefully getting enough sleep to once again perform basic human functions, which might even include playing video games (and online ttrpgs) late into the night.

Speaking of ttrpgs, a friend of mine just released a cyberpunk themed ttrpg.

Not intended as a shill. I just think it's cool. I'm working on a web site for it that will have some tools for gamemasters to make running a campaign easier.

Also thinking about porting it to foundryvtt or something, but might need to do a Kickstarter or something if I'm going to spend a couple months working on that... we'll see

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Congrats man! And keep fighting the good fight. Our youngest (of three) is just about out of diapers and it gets so, so much easier. My unsolicited advice would be once you get your feet under you a bit, definitely still make time for your own interests (and encourage your partner to do the same). I would have lost my mind if I didn’t have beer league, my own set of friends, and my own stuff to think about other than cleaning shit off butts and work. We also split the weekends so I get up with the kids on Saturday and my wife is free until 10:00am (to sleep or run or go to brunch or whatever) and I get Sunday mornings off, so Saturday nights are my sanity nights where I drink, smoke, and play video games late into the night. I’m in a noticeably worse mood if we have plans on a Saturday night or have to get up super early on Sunday and I don’t get my “I love you all dearly but leave me the f*** alone for a few hours” time.

Separately, I just bought Helldivers 2. Seems awesome. Anyone put a lot of time into it?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Congrats man! And keep fighting the good fight. Our youngest (of three) is just about out of diapers and it gets so, so much easier. My unsolicited advice would be once you get your feet under you a bit, definitely still make time for your own interests (and encourage your partner to do the same). I would have lost my mind if I didn’t have beer league, my own set of friends, and my own stuff to think about other than cleaning shit off butts and work. We also split the weekends so I get up with the kids on Saturday and my wife is free until 10:00am (to sleep or run or go to brunch or whatever) and I get Sunday mornings off, so Saturday nights are my sanity nights where I drink, smoke, and play video games late into the night. I’m in a noticeably worse mood if we have plans on a Saturday night or have to get up super early on Sunday and I don’t get my “I love you all dearly but leave me the f*** alone for a few hours” time.

Separately, I just bought Helldivers 2. Seems awesome. Anyone put a lot of time into it?

lol….that intro video is great for it. Looks like Starship Troopers…..”dispense peace” “managed Democracy“…”the galaxy’s last line of offense” ..lol…..

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Thank you! And that is definitely excellent advice.

This being our second kid, I've got a slightly better feel for what it takes to stay sane while weathering that horrendous (and shit-spewing) new-baby storm. And thankfully, my wife and I are both good about expressing our individual needs for personal time/space and figuring out schedules that work for both of us. Obviously, with a second kid in the mix, our previous one-kid solutions don't work. (With one kid, you can just take turns handing the kid off to each other if/when someone needs a break. But it only recently hit home for us that, with a 4 y.o. and a baby, oh hell no, no breaks for anyone, ever.) That said, we've already made some initial adjustments. And I know we'll get there once the initial storm is over and we're finally able to get some decent sleep and our brains begin functioning again. This time around, I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Meanwhile, all of my PC gaming pals are playing (and raving about) Helldivers 2 right now. The part of my brain that remembers playing late-night online games with pals is definitely feeling some FOMO, but the rest of my brain is like, "Dude you know there's no way, so don't sweat it."

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Welp ... started another new playthrough of RDR2 last night and I love it. im all in.

i just dont get it. why cant I get into witcher/assassins creed/gta/lou2/god of war. I own them, put 5-10 hours in

f***ing frustrating

sorry for my bi-monthly video game RDR2 post

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Welp ... started another new playthrough of RDR2 last night and I love it. im all in.

i just dont get it. why cant I get into witcher/assassins creed/gta/lou2/god of war. I own them, put 5-10 hours in

f***ing frustrating

Well, AC series can be boring. Witcher3 first part of the game in Crookback Bog is very sad and hopeless place that can kill the fun. You will hate me, but I played witcher 5-6 times and quit RDR2 after 1h.

Btw did you play The Saboteur? 2009 game, but very fun and has a good story

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
I haven't played an AC game for like 15 years. Might have even been the original, not really sure. But I do have Middle Earth Shadow of War and Shadow of Mordor, which remind me of what I remember of AC.

It's fun stealth killing orcs, but I am not very good at games that require motor skills, so at some point I just got frustrated. I got pretty far in elden ring, but that's because you can go off and grind until you're OP. Plus being able to retry boss battles infinitely means you can lose a hundred times and get lucky once and move on.

In those ME games, when you lose the guys that beat you move up in rank. So it kind of snowballs if you lose a lot like I do.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

f***ing frustrating

They're different.

RDR2 is really crafted narrative. It pushes you through a lot of points without you even realizing that it's doing it because it feels like natural progression.

In a lot of those other games it gives you that narrative, then it steps back and says "go play for a while and come back to us" and it expects you to want to waste time and goof around killing stuff or exploring or whatever... I'm somebody who wants to do that most of the time and even I found myself just bumrushing RDR2 because it didn't "make" me at all but I wanted it more. You don't want a more open world, I'd say you'd arguably be happier with a Mass Effect type of game.

The flip side though, is that I've never finished it. I liked my Arthur Morgan so much that when I realized what was going to happen I almost subconsciously went "nope, not having that", slowly stopped playing, and "saved his life". Now my Xbox is broken and gone so I honestly don't even know how it ends.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
A bit overwhelming at first but it’s a ton of fun. I plan on getting pretty stoned and playing it until the wee hours Saturday night.
Having never being stoned (hated my mom smoking as a young kid so despised anything related to that) I'll need to evaluate its appeal to my OCD nature that has me compulsively playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous without never finishing it.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Looks like Helldivers 2 is an epic game

• Haha
Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad