OT: Video Games VI

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just finished Astro’s Playroom as an intro to the PS5 and the Dualsense. What a fun little game!

Moving on to Demon’s Souls next. This’ll only be my second Soulsborne game and I am really looking forward to it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
30 games? JFC. I wonder how many games I make it through in a year. Definitely not 30. laksjdf that's impressive

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013
30 games? JFC. I wonder how many games I make it through in a year. Definitely not 30. laksjdf that's impressive
It was mostly the valve collection. 24 games for $12. I went to buy half life 2 with both of the expansion episodes, and the whole bundle was on sale so why not!

Also bought the Myst Collection which had every Myst game included. Only needed 3-5, but all together, they were about the same price as one.

Then topped it off with Hades and Loop Hero. Considering adding some VR games too, but they aren’t discounted as much

Reactions: g00n

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Dark Alliance is a mess. Uninstalled after about an hour of multiplayer.
Yeah I was pretty bummed to read the terrible reviews. I recently started DMing my first D&D campaign (which is set in Faerun) and also decided to try out one of those Drizzt books, so Dark Alliance's release came at exactly the right time to grab my interest. But woof, those reviews.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Yeah I was pretty bummed to read the terrible reviews. I recently started DMing my first D&D campaign (which is set in Faerun) and also decided to try out one of those Drizzt books, so Dark Alliance's release came at exactly the right time to grab my interest. But woof, those reviews.

The Drizzt books (ie the Companion series) you will love. I've read pretty much all of them. The best ones are the early ones (which take place in the Underdark) and the last 3, which are incredible (and also take place in the Underdark). The middle ones vary -- from awesome to painfully boring. But they are worth is to get to the last 3.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
RDR2… @g00n’s favorite game.

Are you talking about open world RPG with hunting and gathering?

Yes a cool expansive open world game ...

I bought GTA V last year and idk maybe im getting old but I started playing it and the first hour was N word this and N word that and f*** that negative energy and mindstate ... I played GTA 20 years ago or whenever it first came out and was cool but at 42 years old ... im good on all that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I bought GTA V last year and idk maybe im getting old but I started playing it and the first hour was N word this and N word that and f*** that negative energy and mindstate ... I played GTA 20 years ago or whenever it first came out and was cool but at 42 years old ... im good on all that.

I put it down, too. Not because of the content but just too much driving for me, and too much of a modern sim with the cell phone and internet shit. I can see kids being into that but as an adult looking to escape for maybe an hour a day? I need dragons or some shit. Not spam emails and texts.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Horizon Zero Dawn is the best open world game I've played maybe ever. Ghost of Tsushima as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Horizon Zero Dawn is the best open world game I've played maybe ever. Ghost of Tsushima as well.

HZD UPDATE!

I'm still slogging through around LV 18 or so, barely into the story I think. Trying to clear the SE area of all artifacts and whatnot. I imagine things ramp way up when I reach the border fort and trudge on to the city I'm supposed to investigate (which I assume will have weapons upgrades etc, too). I like the post-apocalyptic concept so far but goddamn some of the tribal outfits are just goofy.

Getting more comfortable with the combat and tactics. It seems like this is a game that gives you a lot of options for dealing with problems and you're encouraged to use different weapons (though you could conceivably get by pretty well with one or two, if used strategically). Sometimes you just have to find a high point or cover and snipe the shit out of big baddies. Other times you're going to have to swing the spear. Maybe learn to use the rope/traps/etc. I could probably open up more possibilities if I had the balls to try to rope one of those huge bots.

I've always kind of felt machine enemies, like zombies, were a cheap way of avoiding ethical issues in video games so I have that stigma going. But I do appreciate all the loot they provide. So they need to die.

The one thing I still can't get past is how difficult it is for this supremely agile character to free climb through ruins. I'm not talking about the marked handhold climbs which are like easier versions of Uncharted puzzles (so far). I mean like random ruins. If you're off by a pixel you slip and fall all the way down. But she can swing and climb and rappel like mad everywhere else. I guess they just didn't want people like me climbing ruins and picking off Giganto Firefarters.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the flying things I just discovered.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
HZD UPDATE!

I'm still slogging through around LV 18 or so, barely into the story I think. Trying to clear the SE area of all artifacts and whatnot. I imagine things ramp way up when I reach the border fort and trudge on to the city I'm supposed to investigate (which I assume will have weapons upgrades etc, too). I like the post-apocalyptic concept so far but goddamn some of the tribal outfits are just goofy.

Getting more comfortable with the combat and tactics. It seems like this is a game that gives you a lot of options for dealing with problems and you're encouraged to use different weapons (though you could conceivably get by pretty well with one or two, if used strategically). Sometimes you just have to find a high point or cover and snipe the shit out of big baddies. Other times you're going to have to swing the spear. Maybe learn to use the rope/traps/etc. I could probably open up more possibilities if I had the balls to try to rope one of those huge bots.

I've always kind of felt machine enemies, like zombies, were a cheap way of avoiding ethical issues in video games so I have that stigma going. But I do appreciate all the loot they provide. So they need to die.

The one thing I still can't get past is how difficult it is for this supremely agile character to free climb through ruins. I'm not talking about the marked handhold climbs which are like easier versions of Uncharted puzzles (so far). I mean like random ruins. If you're off by a pixel you slip and fall all the way down. But she can swing and climb and rappel like mad everywhere else. I guess they just didn't want people like me climbing ruins and picking off Giganto Firefarters.

Now I have to figure out what to do about the flying things I just discovered.

When you say SE area, assume you mean South East area of the map, like The Embrace and Devils Thirst encompassing Mother's Watch, Mother's Cradle, etc? Are you out of that area yet? If not, yeah... you are just scratching the surface. Not even sure "tip of the iceberg" would describe where you are progress wise, especially if you are planning on playing the DLC ("The Frozen Wilds") which I highly recommend you do.

The climbing is complete ass, agreed, but evidently it's fixed significantly in Forbidden West. And combat is fun once you get the hang out it since it's a bit different than hack-and-slash or shoot-em-up styles of other open world games. I recommend using all of the weapons because some are surprisingly effective. My favorite is the Sling with the stick bomb and the explosive bombs. There are other fun weapons once you get further along, especially in the DLC... but I recommend being sufficiently good at the game and geared up as much as you can before going to the DLC because I think The Frozen Wilds was the hardest part of the game -- harder than the final scenes to the normal game -- and some of the machines that are exclusive to that area of the map will f*** you up proper. You can also unlock spear upgrades if you do the DLC.

The machines are a great part of the game once you learn a bit more about the story and why they are there. And you do get to f*** up some humans along the way as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When you say SE area, assume you mean South East area of the map, like The Embrace and Devils Thirst encompassing Mother's Watch, Mother's Cradle, etc? Are you out of that area yet? If not, yeah... you are just scratching the surface. Not even sure "tip of the iceberg" would describe where you are progress wise, especially if you are planning on playing the DLC ("The Frozen Wilds") which I highly recommend you do.

The climbing is complete ass, agreed, but evidently it's fixed significantly in Forbidden West. And combat is fun once you get the hang out it since it's a bit different than hack-and-slash or shoot-em-up styles of other open world games. I recommend using all of the weapons because some are surprisingly effective. My favorite is the Sling with the stick bomb and the explosive bombs. There are other fun weapons once you get further along, especially in the DLC... but I recommend being sufficiently good at the game and geared up as much as you can before going to the DLC because I think The Frozen Wilds was the hardest part of the game -- harder than the final scenes to the normal game -- and some of the machines that are exclusive to that area of the map will f*** you up proper. You can also unlock spear upgrades if you do the DLC.

The machines are a great part of the game once you learn a bit more about the story and why they are there. And you do get to f*** up some humans along the way as well.

Yes you described exactly where I am in the game. Good to hear it picks up. I've admittedly been dragging my feet about progressing the main story. Thanks

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Finished Fallout 4. Sided with the Institute this time -- big mistake. Ending was boring by comparison with the Brotherhood of Steel, which is terrific. Next time I'm going BOS again.

I wanted to play Jedi Fallen Order next, but the price refuses to drop under $35 on Amazon. That game came out in 2019 and is all but forgotten. So why is it @ $35 still?

Nuts to that, I'm getting AC Valhalla...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Finished Fallout 4. Sided with the Institute this time -- big mistake. Ending was boring by comparison with the Brotherhood of Steel, which is terrific. Next time I'm going BOS again.

I wanted to play Jedi Fallen Order next, but the price refuses to drop under $35 on Amazon. That game came out in 2019 and is all but forgotten. So why is it @ $35 still?

Jedi Fallen Order is still $35 because it’s one of the best Souls clones there is and has a compelling narrative for both casual and die-hard Star Wars fans.

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013

Also included if you have GamePass for Xbox or PC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad