OT: Video Games VI

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
7900X PC Build.jpg
Too tired to do much more with it tonight, but the build is done, save for an extension cable and an adapter. The cable management is just about done too. Easy in a large case with good cable channels in back like this.

The 4090 OC GPU is extremely heavy and definitely needs the anti-sagging bracket that came with the PC case. We'll see if it posts tomorrow.

I went ahead and tried out the Corsair Shift PSU that puts the connection points on the side instead of opposite the power cord and On/Off switch (all Type5, as this is an ATX 3.0 PSU). Really like the design.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I hate online games.
1. Cheaters - there are a lot of them.
2. Skilled players - they won't take you seriously
3. Toxic people - will talk bs, hunt newbies, try to ruin their fun
4. No story, never-ending game. - No matter how much you collect stuff, they will always release new tech to make your tech obsolete.
5. Pay2win,grind
But, I admit, they're good for quick fun parties.

Reactions: sycamore

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
The PC posted and I flashed the BIOS with no problem, installed and activated Windows 11 and updates, and installed online game launchers, productivity software, photo applications, and some games last night. Will try out some games this weekend and put it through its paces.
It's been fun following your build. I really like the case you went with. Has made me start rethinking my current setup. When I finally can stomach upgrading from my 2080ti, I think it'll be worth looking into upgrading my case and cooling as well.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It's been fun following your build. I really like the case you went with. Has made me start rethinking my current setup. When I finally can stomach upgrading from my 2080ti, I think it'll be worth looking into upgrading my case and cooling as well.
Thanks, I posted it since I like following build logs too.

I went with it for two reasons. One, I have started to use Be Quiet fans the last few years, and so I like the idea of finally using the fans that come with my case. Too often, I waste the fans that are built into the price of a PC case, and then buy separate fans at $25-30 per fan. I didn't want to do that this time. This case comes with three quality Be Quiet Silent Wings fans and I knew that I would want to use them.

Second, I still use optical drives from time to time, but that prevents you from using most cases on the market. Even for those cases that have room for a bay, in the normal position at the front top, you lose the ability to top-mount a 360mm radiator. In the past, I have used 240mm radiators. With this generation's hot-running CPUs, I really wanted a 360mm or even a 420mm rad. This case uniquely has a bottom bay, tucked away behind a small door, which frees up the full top. It still leaves lots of room in the front for an airflow-focused build. When I saw a video from Roman (der8auer) reviewing it, I knew it was one I wanted to use.

Despite uncertainty in the writeups and specs, I was not able to fit three 140mm fans as well as the 5 1/4" caddy in front, so I used two 140mm fans and one 120mm Silent Wings I had unopened in my parts bin for intake fans in front, above a BD-RE/DVD-RW/CD-RW drive. I put one 140mm Silent Wings exhaust fan in the rear slot. Then I added a top-mounted Be Quiet 360mm Pure Loop 2 AIO radiator that comes with three 120mm Pure Wings fans for top exhaust through mesh. The Silent Wings series is noise focused, while Pure Wings is performance focused.

I am using fan profiles to ensure positive pressure right now, but may add more intakes. The right side panel is perforated to allow you to intake air that way, like in a Lian Li 011 Dynamic.

It's a very spacious full tower, large and nicely designed, but very expensive. Find a deal like I did, make use of the fans it comes with instead of buying replacements, and it's not too bad. It comes with both front and top open mesh panels for an airflow focus, as well as Sealed panels with foam padding if your focus is less performance and more about reducing noise. Very modular.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsjustsurvival

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I've been sticking with external ROM drives the last build. The el cheepo died recently so picked up this one:

ORIGBELIE External CD DVD Drive with 4 USB Ports and 2 TF/SD Card Slots, USB 3.0 Portable CD/DVD Disk Drive Player Burner Reader Writer

Reactions: Drake1588

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I've been sticking with external ROM drives the last build. The el cheepo died recently so picked up this one:

ORIGBELIE External CD DVD Drive with 4 USB Ports and 2 TF/SD Card Slots, USB 3.0 Portable CD/DVD Disk Drive Player Burner Reader Writer

Nice. Doubles as a peripheral hub. That's a great idea. Still prefer integrated, but this is a good option.

I'd like to start seeing CFExpress Type B bays, or laptops that have CF Express slots, but that may not happen. CFExpress is a popular storage format for high-end cameras, but SD is in more widespread use. I have an external high-speed USB-C reader solution that I'm using for CF Express and SD Cards, from ProGrade.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nice. Doubles as a peripheral hub. That's a great idea. Still prefer integrated, but this is a good option.

I'd like to start seeing CFExpress Type B bays, or laptops that have CF Express slots, but that may not happen. CFExpress is a popular storage format for high-end cameras, but SD is in more widespread use. I have an external high-speed USB-C reader solution that I'm using for CF Express and SD Cards, from ProGrade.
Man I had never even heard of CFExpress so had to googles and it sounds interesting..

ProGrade Digital has developed its new CFexpress™ Type B 4.0 Cobalt class memory cards with next-generation performance leveraging PCIe Gen 4 interconnect with NVMe host controller interface for use in future Mirrorless, DSLR and high-definition video cameras.
And yeah I prefer a non-external ROM drive. Got caught up the razer edition lian-li case at the time so was not an option.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Man I played the shit out of those Batman games. They were great.

Except for all the driving shit in the last one I did. That was annoying. Forced time trials etc....BOOOO

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That 1998, 1999 period saw so many great games come out across many genres, and Homeworld was one of the best. It also had an amazing expansion pack in Cataclysm and sequel in HW2. If they take their time to get it right, I'm on board with the delays for HW3.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
That 1998, 1999 period saw so many great games come out across many genres, and Homeworld was one of the best. It also had an amazing expansion pack in Cataclysm and sequel in HW2. If they take their time to get it right, I'm on board with the delays for HW3.
I picked up the remastered edition that came out a year or two ago just for nostalgic reasons. Probably just fired it up once.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I picked up the remastered edition that came out a year or two ago just for nostalgic reasons. Probably just fired it up once.
Really enjoyed that remastering. It retained almost all of the feel of those games but updated the parts of the interface and controls that felt a little dated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad