OT: Video Games VI

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Been doing a lot of photo editing with DxO PureRaW this past year, and find myself in need of a GPU upgrade to crunch on AI tasks (and get respectable frame rates in games at 4K).

I found an RTX 4090 at MSRP this week (finally) and am picking it up in a few days. Time to build a new gaming rig... Giggidy.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Been doing a lot of photo editing with DxO PureRaW this past year, and find myself in need of a GPU upgrade to crunch on AI tasks (and get respectable frame rates in games at 4K).

I found an RTX 4090 at MSRP this week (finally) and am picking it up in a few days. Time to build a new gaming rig... Giggidy.
Because I am always curious bolded would like to know what that means being a non-photog person and how it relates to gpu processing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Because I am always curious bolded would like to know what that means being a non-photog person and how it relates to gpu processing.

At a basic level, raw parallel processing power. GPUs are designed to handle multiple tasks simultaneously through parallel processing. That architecture is particularly well-suited for AI and high-performance computing workloads, which often require performing many calculations concurrently.

AI and high-performance computing tasks commonly involve very complex mathematical operations. GPUs are optimized for these operations and can perform them much faster than CPUs, and that acceleration significantly reduces the time required to complete computations. Better GPUs allow you to complete AI tasks, applied across a large data set, much faster.

Deep learning, a subset of AI, involves training large neural networks with millions/billions of parameters. Training such models is computationally intensive and can take weeks or months on a CPU alone. GPUs accelerate this training, and you can train complex models in a reasonable timeframe.

Beyond training, GPUs are also crucial for model inference, where a trained AI model makes predictions on new data. Real-time or near-real-time inference is useful for a wide range of applications, like autonomous vehicles, natural language processing, and image recognition. GPUs can handle inference tasks efficiently, i.e. low-latency responses.

All of these capabilities are leveraged in recently introduced photo editing software, which takes RAW files and infers what individual pixels should be when the image may be slightly out of focus or where detail originally captured is imperfect. AI algorithms can also help tremendously when trying to reduce noise, if you want to do that (although many don't like messing around with noise reduction too much and like a little bit of noise in their photos. YMMV.)

The effects can be stark, especially with old RAW files from say 2005-2010. I have a large collection of images that I want to run through AI photo software. Small batches can take many hours to process without a burly GPU. That's oversimplifying a lot, but I think that's the gist of it.

The myriad uses for GPUs is why it's been so hard to find GPUs for simple gaming at MSRP since before the pandemic. First mining and now AI have created massive non-gamer demand for the top-end nVidia cards especially.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I'm deep into AI image/video generating too and rtx 4090 is in my dreams. Unfortunately, it costs up to 3k CAD in QC and that's too much to pay for a hobby.
This is what I could generate with my actual rtx 3060Ti
I generated this with my rx 6700xt... Unfortunately I didn't know I'd want to do any of this stuff or I'd have bought an Nvidia card.

https://cftu.xyz/this.mp4

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
PC parts order is in. Went with AMD Ryzen and ASUS, be Quiet, Corsair parts. A blacked-out build for the most part.
  • ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming Socket AM5, Ryzen 7000, ATX, 18+2 Power Stages, PCIe 5.0, DDR5, 4xM.2 Slots, 12 USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Type A, 2 USB-C), 1 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (USB-C), 2.5GB Ethernet, WiFi 6E, BIOS Flashback, CMOS reset, HDMI, DisplayPort
  • AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
  • be quiet! Pure Loop 2 360mm All in One Water Cooler (3 x 120mm Pure Wings 3 fans)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 Memory - Black (CMT64GX5M2B6000C40)
  • Corsair RM1000x Shift 1000W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, Modular Side Interface, ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant (80 Plus Gold)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI 2.1a, DisplayPort 1.4a) TUF-RTX4090-O24G-GAMING
  • 1 x WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB Gen 4.0 x4 SSD (WDS400T2X0E)
  • 1 x WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 2TB Gen 4.0 x4 SSD (WDS200T2X0E)
  • be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 901 Full-Tower ATX PC Case Black (3 x Silent Wings 4 fans)
  • Internal 16X Blu-ray BDXL M-DISC DVD/CD SATA Writer
  • Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 Internal PCIe Sound Card (Quad-Core Processor, 127dB DNR ESS SABRE-class 9018 DAC, Xamp Discrete Custom Bi-amp) with external audio control module
  • ARCTIC MX-6 (4 g) Thermal Paste

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Love me some WD Blacks. Damn 2x 4TBs
One 4TB and one 2TB. I've been pretty loyal to Samsung 980 and 990 Pros for M.2s, but I tried a WD M.2 on my last build as a secondary drive and liked it. They get great ratings and reviews, have high read/write specs, and are a good bit cheaper than Samsung. I've used WD Black 7,200 rpm mechanical drives since the 90s and they were always aces. So I decided to make the switch from Samsung, which seems to be living on past reputation and charging an unearned premium.

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
One 4TB and one 2TB. I've been pretty loyal to Samsung 980 and 990 Pros for M.2s, but I tried a WD M.2 on my last build as a secondary drive and liked it. They get great ratings and reviews, have high read/write specs, and are a good bit cheaper than Samsung. I've used WD Black 7,200prm mechanical drives since the 90s and they were always aces. So I decided to make the switch from Samsung, which seems to be living on past reputation and charging an unearned premium.
This is the same for me had many of the Samsungs but WD Blacks (the secondary one was like the first that had a heat sink) they were great and from the metrics standpoint clearly stood out.

Reactions: Drake1588

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Finished a xcom 2 run on the Deck. The eye strain was real, but I still had fun. I used all Mass Effect characters. Sniper Garrus was on point.

Reactions: usiel

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Arthur Morgan died around 2 am Sunday morning in my living room. I had it all planned out. My favorite russian imperial stout, the glistening of the christmas lights coming off the tree, snow outside and a roaring fire.

Mis timed the fire though. Started it around 9 pm when I started playing and kicked the wife upstairs. Ran out of fire wood around midnight and had to make decision to walk to car and get another load or go fireless for his death.

2 am I was naked save a woven poncho and a tricorner hat I wear when playing RDR2.

I walked outside to my car naked in my poncho and tricorner hat .. bit disappointed no one was around.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

Time to start building.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Haven’t been able to get into Returnal but will give it another go or two to see if it clicks.

As someone who loves the Horizon franchise, I tried playing the Burning Shores DLC today and just had no interest in it.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Tried Palworld for the lols. How the hell is this getting 1.8 million concurrent?
Had someone on my team mention playing that but was more about the mods to allow like real pokemon avatars or model or something or other I was kinda zoning out. My younger brother back into playing Planetside 2 might play him a bit this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad